What do you miss the most about the '80s and '90s?

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 12:13 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I'm not here to argue. It's written, "You who love the Lord hate evil (Psalm 97:10)."
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 12:24 pm
@Rebelofnj,
You can't speak for the "millions of other Christians" you're referring to. There are a lot of Christians who agree with me and my family. People agree with what my penpals say.

You aren't a Christian. You can't speak for them anyway.

Millions of Christians watch and support Swaggart's ministry on TV and agree with what the Swaggarts and their cohorts have to say, for example.

Millions of Christians agree with what John Hagee and his son have to say.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 12:31 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I recall my pastor at one point briefly talked with me about the cartoons and comics I said I wanted to develop and produce. He didn't discuss this at length with me like my American Christian penpal did.

I do recall, now that I'm thinking about it, that he said my cartoons and comics would be better if I didn't do any anthropomorphic characters.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 12:36 pm
@JGoldman10,
The writer of the Chronicles of Narnia is widely known to be a strauch Christian. The first book in the series is heavy on the Christian overtones and allegories. I'm sure the other books lean heavily into Christianity.

Narnia writer CS Lewis is probably the most famous Christian author in recent history. I have been meaning to read his Mere Christianity book for some time now. I have recently read his Christian book The Screwtape Letters.

You seem to think that Christians are not allowed to write any Fantasy stories at all, even if the stories are heavily influenced by Christian elements.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 12:43 pm
@JGoldman10,
Why is it that whenever someone challenges your beliefs, you always say "I'm not here to argue"?

And I'm getting f***ing tired of you saying I'm not a Christian just because I'm Catholic.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 12:53 pm
@JGoldman10,
Have you actually seen the films you are criticizing and condemning?

You said you never saw Frozen. I'm guessing you never saw any of the Harry Potter films or the recent prequel films.

Parents are checking if films are too violent and too sexually explicit before letting their kids watch. I have been doing that for my younger family members.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 01:29 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Have you read Planet Narnia by Michael Ward? It’s really good. It’s a doctoral thesis about the third meaning in the Narnia books. As Lewis was an Oxford don and not just a kid’s author people have been looking for this for a long time. The first being the story, and the second being the Christian allegory, but the third has remained a mystery.

Ward has found it, the seven books are linked to the seven days of the week and their respective planets. Lewis was a Medieval scholar and these are the seven planets as someone in the Middle Ages would see them.

The seven planets are the Sun, the Moon, Mercury, Venus , Mars, Saturn and Jupiter. Each of the books is looked at as one of the planets. It’s very convincing, and a good read. It’s quite wide ranging and looks at other works outside of Narnia like Screwtape and the science fiction pieces.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 01:32 pm
@JGoldman10,
You don’t hate evil though. In many ways you support it.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 03:26 pm
Going back to the original topic question (we went far away from that):

I didn't care too much for the Disney's 1980s films. They were decent, but nothing special about them. It is believable that Disney almost stopped making animated films after their big budget film The Black Cauldron flopped.

In contrast, their 90s films have been exceptional. Beauty and the Beast being called one of Disney's best films is well deserved.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 08:29 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I don't know why you are bringing Disney's '80s animated films up. Disney was not the only studio producing animated films back in the '80s. I don't see how this is relevant to the discussion.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 08:56 pm
@JGoldman10,
The topic question is "What do you miss the most about the '80s and '90s?" I am referring to that discussion.

I previously mentioned that I am watching all current 58 Disney Animated Canon films by order of release. I just watched the 80s era Disney films, hence why I brought them up, in this discussion about what we miss about the 80s and 90s.

Those 80s Disney films will not be missed for the most part, with the obvious exception of The Little Mermaid, which still enjoys some popularity. Apparently, Disney prefers to forget about 1985's The Black Cauldron due to it being a major financial flop for the company.

The 90s era films, also known as the Disney Renaissance, are still remembered and held in high regard by many people.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 09:03 pm
@JGoldman10,
I haven't brought up any 80s animated films produced by other studios because I haven't seen them recently. So I can't genuinely say if those films have aged well in the last 30 or so years.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 09:06 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I don't have to watch any Harry Potter movies to know they are bad. There were various teachings over the years that condemned those films. Televangelists and various other preachers have warned people to steer clear of those movies and to keep their kids away from them.

John Hagee even had a message out called Harry Potter: Witchcraft Repackaged which was available in VHS, DVD and in audio tape formats:

https://flic.kr/p/2j1RpzF
https://flic.kr/p/2j1SZ3G
https://flic.kr/p/2j1NDFe

The Harry Potter books and movies made witchcraft look like harmless fun.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 09:11 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Okay. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is considered a Disney film. How in the world did that film, as popular it as, fall into relative obscurity?

That film saved the animation industry and resparked an interest in cartoons in general. Production of that film helped put a LOT of people in the animation industry to work.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 09:16 pm
@JGoldman10,
I specifically said that I am watching the 58 Disney Animated Canon films. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is not part of the official Canon, despite the animation.

The film is still good, but you can't expect every film to remain popular forever, when new material is being produced constantly.

Part of the reason for the film's declining popularity is that Disney can't really use the Roger Rabbit character without permission from the other copyright holders.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 09:18 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Okay it's not considered canon. I didn't know that.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 09:24 pm
@JGoldman10,
Disney Plus has most of the Canon films while Netflix has at least 2 films for now. For reasons unknown, the 8th Canon film, Make Mine Music, is unavailable anywhere.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and the three Roger Rabbt shorts are also on Disney Plus, as well as a making of documentary.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 09:28 am
@Rebelofnj,
What about Song Of The South?
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 09:30 am
@Rebelofnj,
That's right- Gary K. Wolf, Spielberg and Amblin Entertainment still co-own Roger Rabbit.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 09:36 am
@JGoldman10,
For obvious reasons, Disney has no plans to add Song of the South to their streaming service. They don't like to talk about that film.

On a similar note, their 1940 film Fantasia has been edited to remove racist caricatures. The edited version is the one on Disney Plus.