DON'T SUPPORT THE WAR - AT LEAST SUPPORT THE TROOPS

steissd

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 06:55 pm
OK, I have some tools here at home, airway tube, for example, or a set for intravenous infusion (I bought this in the drugstore in order to take care of neighbors if something happens). I shall try and do my best. I hope, Frolic will remain alive.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 07:03 pm
Don't forget your CPR training. He may have just overexerted himself with the stress of the moment. Hope you have a defribulator, just in case.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 07:06 pm
No, defibrillator is an equipment that either a doctor or a paramedic can operate. I am only a combat medic. But I know CPR, of course (in the Army ATLS is more practical since the majority of casualties suffer from trauma, but CPR was also taught in the training course).
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 07:17 pm
Save some medical equipement for the US soldiers returning home with 'Gulf War Syndrome'. The US army is still intended to use depleted uranium ammunition. Shells containing depleted
uranium are more effective than ordinary munitions. residue from depleted uranium rounds used during the Gulf War caused health problems, including cancer and birth defects among civilians in southern Iraq and US veterans.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 07:19 pm
I have been looking to see if anyone has commented on something that has really been bothering me. I am dreadfully ashamed of my US government that has encouraged such horrible strategies both internally and with the rest of the world.

Hey, doesn't "rest of the world" sound like a helluva big chunk of the world? As in: Americans may be THE Superpower but that is only a fraction of THE WORLD!

This is the part that gets me - remember how the Gulf War was not really a 'war' and now THIS. THIS seems to me to be a huge invasion, not a war. Someone must start a 'war' and it appears to be "us" - if we as the USA do this, we have started the 'war' and let's just chuck those who say "the Devil made me do it".
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 07:27 pm
here's a website with links to information on Depleted Uranium Muntitions. More hysteria than understanding surrounds the damned things. Unfortunately, the hysteria gathers a wider audience than do the data or scientific examination and critical analysis. That's not at all uncommon. That too is unfortunate.

OOps ... should post the link, shouldn't I? Embarrassed

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/du.htm

Sorry.

timber
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 10:09 pm
Amen Edgar!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 06:10 am
My son, who is 30, never showed an interest in joining the military. Likewise my daughters, ages 29, 27 and 23. Still I sympathise with the other parents who have children over there. I also sympathise with the Iraqi on the street who may lose their entire family.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 07:47 am
My son is there, with 3/4 Million of his closest freinds.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 07:55 am
Timber
May God bless him and his compatriots and bring them home safely.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 07:59 am
Killing and destroying as a profession. I will never understand why people want to join the army.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 08:09 am
frolic, some folks join the military out of conviction. They are dedicated to the proposition that it is necessary to preserve the right to dissent. Others have no choice in the matter; they are swept into the militaries of their countries despite, or without possibiloity of, dissent. Our military today is all volunteer. Given that military pay is hardly competitive with the private sector, and that the living conditions are not posh and the assigngments are frequently arduous, I would say for most its a matter of honor and duty.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 08:23 am
timber- Agree. I lived through WWII, and if we had not had a strong military, the world would look quite a bit different today!
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 08:39 am
The reason why the US won the second WW was because of the law of large numbers. If the SU had not opened a Eastern Front and had not send millions and millions of people to their sure death, the US had never dared to invade France.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 08:46 am
Timber: There are folks who join the military out of conviction. Probably two or three of them are actually dedicated to the proposition that it is necessary to preserve the right to dissent... ...Our military today is all volunteer. Given that military pay is hardly competitive with the private sector, and that the living conditions are not posh and the assigngments are frequently arduous, for most its not a matter of honor and duty but a way out of an economic or social ghetto. Recruitment into the services is cannily done, advertising technical training accompanied by healthy, athletic war games. "BE ALL YOU CAN BE" ads on TV offer the eager, uneducated kid the opportunity to become the handsome middle-class "player" they've seen running on the paths in local parks or glimpsed in sit-coms. There haven't been that many American wars during the past eighteen years -- the life span of the average recruit. They are entering a world of "service" and carrying with them that handy TV remote. Not many, I believe, thought they would ever see 115 degree heat, heavy gear, doves in cages monitoring chem-bio attacks from real enemies, the agonized cries of the real dying.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 08:54 am
Tartarin,
Agree. But that does little to change the reality of this present situation, with 34 hours and counting. Now we must hope and pray for a mercifully quick conclusion to this unholy mess.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 11:09 am
Frankly, Sumac, I'm hoping for a conclusion which does much damage to its originators and very little if any to the their victims -- whether that takes a long time or very little time. It is indeed an unholy mess -- a very accurate description!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 11:13 am
Sumac, I'm troubled by the use of the word "reality" here. The reality we are facing doesn't derive naturally from a previous reality, but rather is a "reality" in quotes concocted and imposed by a few guys with money and power. That's precisely what they want you to think: that they are following through on a reality. That's not my idea of reality and I refuse to accept it. I prefer to call it a criminal act in which we the citizens can choose complicity or dissent.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 06:13 am
If it is unpatriotic to demand the troops be brought home alive, with none killed, then I guess that makes me an outlaw.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 07:50 am
Just for the record, frolic, the Soviet Union was invaded by Germany, not the other way around.
0 Replies