He wants to be alone?

-FreeLancer-

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:25 am
pragmatic wrote:
I really do know how you feel - I had the same kind of feeling, wanting to keep in contact with someone I held as special, but never able to open my mouth, half because I didn't know his reaction, half becaue I didn't feel I was ready (and I know I'm not):

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1358925#1358925

I read your post. I really understand how you felt. You see, the reason we couldn't go out is that he is in a way my superior and before I actually worked up the courage to tell him how I feel the first time (it took me more that a year to do that) I felt the same way... I didn't know how to go beyond a professional relationship, I was afraid of his reaction, I was afraid he would think I'm out of line....

Funny thing is, I analyzed the situation so many times in my head, and thought about all the answers he might give me, but I never considered this possiblility.... There are so many reasons to say no.... but what he said... It just doesn't leave me any options.....
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:42 am
I think if this man wants to be left alone, you should respect his wishes, and leave him alone. I think he has a right to do and be what he wants (just like everyone else), and it's not your job or place to change him.

Why not find someone else, who would be EAGER to spend time with you? This person is not a puzzle or problem for you to solve... if he says he wants to be alone, you should take him at his word.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:44 am
BorisK - of course, I see what you mean too - whats the use of banging one's head against a brick wall? But you know, there may be something in what FreeLancer's involved in. She hasn't been doing anything extreme - if she had no alternative other than to stalk him, I would be seriously worried but now, I think she's just trying to coax him out of his shell and see why he wants to be alone alone alone.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:46 am
-FreeLancer- wrote:
Funny thing is, I analyzed the situation so many times in my head, and thought about all the answers he might give me, but I never considered this possiblility.... There are so many reasons to say no.... but what he said... It just doesn't leave me any options.....

Analyzing too much gives me a headache and only makes me more confused, or guilty or stupid, like I must have done something wrong in front of him and now he thinks I'm a fool - I try not to, but hey, we're women - we think too much. :wink:

Its true - he's gone and cut you out completely from any possiblity or alternative you may have had. Oh dear. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

-FreeLancer-

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:54 am
BorisKitten wrote:
I think if this man wants to be left alone, you should respect his wishes, and leave him alone. I think he has a right to do and be what he wants (just like everyone else), and it's not your job or place to change him.

Why not find someone else, who would be EAGER to spend time with you? This person is not a puzzle or problem for you to solve... if he says he wants to be alone, you should take him at his word.

From what I know him, and it has been 2 years.... it's not about him having the right to do what he wants. Of course he can. He's free to do anything, but I think that he has a problem, that there's something in his past that keeps him from having a normal life (and you have to agree that normal also includes having people around you...) and I just want to help him....

I know he likes me. He told me he likes me, he told me he likes talking to me and it is a known fact that we do get along great (hence the rumors around the office about us). The proof is that he told me all the (by normal standards) embarrassing details about his life (or lack-of) when he could have just said <insert usual reason for saying no here> :-)

He doesn't want to have a relationship? Ok. I just want to be able to see him once I leave my job, I want to hang out, stay in touch... whatever....
0 Replies

-FreeLancer-

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:59 am
pragmatic wrote:
She hasn't been doing anything extreme - if she had no alternative other than to stalk him, I would be seriously worried but now

Razz Did think about that..... thought it'd be a bad possible-relationship precedent and gave up on the idea.... Razz

Just kidding....

Quote:
I think she's just trying to coax him out of his shell and see why he wants to be alone alone alone

YESSSS.... if he could just tell me.... like the example he gave me this morning about asking a guy who hasn't eaten for two weeks to go to the opera with you... (that is kinda funny) well my answer was that I would first feed the guy Laughing so I asked what was the equivalent in our case and he just looked away and didn't say anything.....
0 Replies

-FreeLancer-

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 06:06 am
pragmatic wrote:
Analyzing too much gives me a headache and only makes me more confused, or guilty or stupid, like I must have done something wrong in front of him and now he thinks I'm a fool - I try not to, but hey, we're women - we think too much. :wink:

You think? :wink:

*note to self: stop thinking* Laughing

You're right. We think too much, analyze too much... I wish things were simple... The bad part is that I look around me and things *are* simple... for the rest of the world.... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 06:23 am
-FreeLancer- wrote:
BorisKitten wrote:

From what I know him, and it has been 2 years.... it's not about him having the right to do what he wants. Of course he can. He's free to do anything, but I think that he has a problem, that there's something in his past that keeps him from having a normal life (and you have to agree that normal also includes having people around you...) and I just want to help him........

If he wants help with his problems, he can hire a therapist. It isn't your job to help him even if he asks you to help him, which he apparently hasn't.

What if you had told a guy you wanted to be left alone, for whatever reason, and he decided you had problems he could help you with? In other words, what if he decided you needed something other than what you said you needed? He would be discounting and disrespecting your stated wishes.

My position is, from the age of 43, do not ever try to FIX people. If he wants fixing, he has to fix himself. You cannot solve his problems for him.

-FreeLancer- wrote:
I know he likes me. He told me he likes me, he told me he likes talking to me and it is a known fact that we do get along great (hence the rumors around the office about us). The proof is that he told me all the (by normal standards) embarrassing details about his life (or lack-of) when he could have just said <insert usual reason for saying no here> :-)

He doesn't want to have a relationship? Ok. I just want to be able to see him once I leave my job, I want to hang out, stay in touch... whatever....

The question is not whether he "likes you." The question is whether you are willing to take him at his word and respect his stated wishes. I say, offer him the same respect you'd like for yourself.

Again, this is a person, not a broken machine. Unlike a machine, he has a right to say whether he wants to be fixed or not. And you have an obligation, if you respect him, to respect his wishes.

You can certainly tell him you'd like to see him after you leave your job. Give him your phone number, and let him call you if he wants. Nothing wrong with that.

My advice: Do not try to change anyone... even if they say they want to change, which he has not.
0 Replies

-FreeLancer-

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 06:37 am
BorisKitten wrote:

If he wants help with his problems, he can hire a therapist. It isn't your job to help him even if he asks you to help him, which he apparently hasn't.

What if you had told a guy you wanted to be left alone, for whatever reason, and he decided you had problems he could help you with? In other words, what if he decided you needed something other than what you said you needed? He would be discounting and disrespecting your stated wishes.

My position is, from the age of 43, do not ever try to FIX people. If he wants fixing, he has to fix himself. You cannot solve his problems for him.

The question is not whether he "likes you." The question is whether you are willing to take him at his word and respect his stated wishes. I say, offer him the same respect you'd like for yourself.

Again, this is a person, not a broken machine. Unlike a machine, he has a right to say whether he wants to be fixed or not. And you have an obligation, if you respect him, to respect his wishes.

You can certainly tell him you'd like to see him after you leave your job. Give him your phone number, and let him call you if he wants. Nothing wrong with that.

My advice: Do not try to change anyone... even if they say they want to change, which he has not.

I'm not trying to fix him like he was a machine. I'm not pushing or anything, you're missing the point.
All I'm asking is what could I do/say right now to let him know that I'd like to see him after I leave or at least talk sometimes....

Like I said, we get along great at work, we have these great 3-4 hour long conversations when we work late and end up ordering take outs and staying at the office until 3 am... and I think it would be a shame to lose all that.....

I think I actually stood a chance at keeping in touch with him, professionally we even talked about working toghether on a project next year (we might still do it, but it's in january 2006.... and that's a lot of waiting) but that was all before I told him that I like him. I'm afraid right now I don't stand a chance....
0 Replies

-FreeLancer-

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 07:04 am
BorisKitten wrote:

From the age of 43??? He's 31. I'm 24.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 09:45 am
I think BK meant that SHE, BorisKitten, is 43...from her perspective as a 43 year old.

BTW, she's right. Trying to change someone never works.

Things are NOT simple for the rest of the world, either. You're only seeing the surface, not the whole picture. Everyone's life is complicated. Get used to it.

Only time will tell if the guy is actually interested or not. I hafta say, it doesn't sound promising, though. I'd consider him just a friend and look elsewhere for more.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 10:30 am
Re: He wants to be alone?
-FreeLancer- wrote:

And if what he said is true…. What could I do about that? How could I convince him to at least give it a chance instead of saying no from the beginning? I don't even care if it's with me or in general, but I want at least to try and help him if I can….

He said no.
You also mentioned you only have two weeks to do something... (apparently to help him see he needs to be with you).

If I were in his position, I would be getting fairly annoyed with you at this point.
0 Replies

-FreeLancer-

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 11:01 am
Re: He wants to be alone?
Eva wrote:
I think BK meant that SHE, BorisKitten, is 43...from her perspective as a 43 year old

My wrong... Smile

ossobuco wrote:

He said no.
You also mentioned you only have two weeks to do something... (apparently to help him see he needs to be with you).

If I were in his position, I would be getting fairly annoyed with you at this point.

I didn't say he needs to be with me. Forget the help him part... I got that. He doesn't need my help. Ok. I also understand his point of view (I've done a lot of thinking since this morning) and I understands that everyone has priorities in life. His are not relationships, or having friends, or going out. Seen like this it's not weird at all.

But what I'm confused about... am I supposed to completely forget everything that has been going on these past 2 years and never see him again? We've made plans professionally, am I supposed to forget about that too? I'm just not used to doing that.

If he should be getting annoyed because of that then.... well I really don't know what to say... maybe I've been wrong all along....

The fact that I told him I'm interested and he said no, does that mean we break all contact and that's that??
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 01:03 pm
Ask him.

Especially about the professional plans.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 01:16 pm
Is this a possibility?

Social Anxiety
0 Replies

-FreeLancer-

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 02:09 pm
Quote:
Is this a possibility?

Social Anxiety

I just read the article... The social phobia part sounds like they were describing him... I mean he's like the best guy in our department.. hell in the company, and he still feels he's no good. He's got an unbelievably low self-esteem, and as for performance fears... I would say it's quite accurate...

I don't know... it might explain why a guy who's got everything going for him refuses any kind of social life... I mean I'm confused on whether or not it's really a problem or if it's normal... but you have to admit it's uncommon......

Anyway, like I said... I understood one thing... his problems are not for me to solve so I guess that doesn't change anything, but thanks for the link!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 02:34 pm
Let him know you'd like him to stay in touch. Give him your phone number and e-ddress and then leave it alone.
0 Replies

-FreeLancer-

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 02:50 pm
Yeah, I guess it's the best solution...

I just hope I get to see him... apparently he has to go away for a couple of days (job-related) so he won't be back before tuesday... that's really.... swell Sad

you know when you're thinking "things couldn't possibly go any worse"... well here's a free piece of advice... don't ever think that Smile
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:10 pm
-FreeLancer- wrote:
BorisKitten wrote:

I'm not trying to fix him like he was a machine. I'm not pushing or anything, you're missing the point.
All I'm asking is what could I do/say right now to let him know that I'd like to see him after I leave or at least talk sometimes....

I didn't miss any point, girlfriend. And I am 43, sorry I wasn't clear about that.

Here's what you do or say right now: "I'd like to see you after I leave this job. Here's my phone number."

That's it.

No analyzing him, figuring out how you can help him, manuevering to make him see how good you could be for him, etc.

I guess my point about being 43 was that I've been there, done that. If a guy says he has problems and does not want to see you, believe him! You'll save yourself all kinds of time and emotional pain.

You do not know what his problems are... perhaps he has a passion for farm animals, or likes to wear women's clothing, or likes to slaughter young girls... you do not know him (yes, even after 2 years) nearly as well as you would like to think.

Let him be. Find someone who's nuts about you and wants to be with you. You'll be a lot happier for it. Honest.
0 Replies

-FreeLancer-

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 01:17 pm
Read my last posts. I'm not planning on doing *anything*. I am going to tell him I'd like to see him, especially since we are going to work together again, but that's it. I can respect what other people want, and most importantly, I know that it's the best solution, anyway.

As far as analyzing him goes, I think I have the right to do that as long as I don't do anything about it. You tell me to let him be, ok, that's exactly what I was going to do anyway, but the same phrase applies to me, too. I'm also free to do what I want, and I can and probably will analyze him. It's human nature to do so.
I do that. Analyze people or situations or whatever... it's not criticism, it's not trying to change things or finding solutions to problems (or non-problems) that aren't mine. It's just forming am opinion about the things and people surrounding me.

Quote:
Find someone who's nuts about you and wants to be with you. You'll be a lot happier for it. Honest

that just doesn't apply to me, you see. I'm not looking for a relationship. I don't even go on dates that much. Not because of *him* it was this way before I met him. If I happen to meet someone I'm nuts about and who's nuts about me, then ok, it would be great, but like I said I'm not looking for a relationship. I have different priorities in life (esp professionaly) and right now I'm really not planning on meeting someone.

But anyway, your reaction is interesting. why do people feel they *have* to be with someone?I have friends who can't stand not being in a relationship.

Take my example: I like this guy, he said no, why do I have to go looking somewhere else? It's not like when you run out of milk and you have to go and buy milk... hmmm or maybe it is, and then I'm one of the few people who don't have to have milk 24/7.... Razz

Laughing I hope this makes sense... in case you're wondering... I'm not crazy, this whole milk analogy was dictated by the voices in my head..... SHUT UP http://smileyonline.free.fr/images/gif/pascompris/vignette/thumbnails/scarymovie2_gif.gif
0 Replies