Bush promises to adopt plan for the Mideast

au1929

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 04:36 pm
Bush Promises to Adopt Plan for the Mideast

By STEVEN R. WEISMAN

WASHINGTON, March 14 — President Bush, yielding to pressure from Prime Minister Tony Blair of Britain, promised today to adopt a long-deferred plan for a Palestinian state as soon as the Palestinians choose a new prime minister, which could happen as soon as next week.
In a hastily scheduled announcement that followed several days of urgent negotiations between the White House and Mr. Blair, Mr. Bush said the United States would soon publish the peace plan, known as a road map, and then serve as an "active partner" in carrying it out.

After two years of benign neglect Bush wakes up. He should have been active in that area from day one and picked up where Clinton left off. It's as if Rip Van Winkle woke up. Hopefully he won't screw it up as he does every thing else he touches.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/15/international/middleeast/15MIDE.html?th
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,671 • Replies: 102
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 07:59 pm
"The Road Map" has been relegated to the back burner far too long.
It is good that it is gaining prominence, though I wager The Saudis are at least as happy as Blair with Bush the Younger's announcement; by supporting "The Roadmap", they can be seen as proactively mediating in the Israeli/Palestinian matter, which is central to all Mid Eastern politics.

timber
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 08:01 pm
The only thing I could add: I wish a complete success to both Mr. Bush and his plan. If it works, it may bring peace and security here.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 08:06 pm
I predict Bush will give the plan mere word service.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 08:15 pm
And what do you expect him to do: to launch a military operation either against Palestinians or against Israel? Word of President of the USA still has serious influence.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 08:23 pm
Neither of those. Benign neglect, since things are already going as he would have them.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 02:34 am
Bush really think the world is stupid. the Iraq crisis was the main reason in the timing of the announcement, with the US and UK keen to shore up support from Arab and other allies.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 08:52 am
I doubt that the word of the US or in particular this president carries any weight with the rest of the world. IMO he is considered a Bull in a china shop.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 08:56 am
i have serious doubt about Sharon accepting the terms as stated.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 09:05 am
I don't think Sharon will accept any sort of Palestinian state.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 09:11 am
I think the best thing the United States could do in the Middle East is to stay the hell out of the mess.

There is absolutely no way the United States will ever be even-handed in our dealings over there. We favor the Israeli position to the extreme detriment of the position of all others in the area -- and everyone knows that.

Butting out is a better alternative than the charade that we are an impartial peace broker.

That having been said however -- I am of the opinion that there will NEVER be anything even resembling peace in that area so long as both the state of Israel exists -- and Arabs live there too.

Peace -- or anything even remotely resembling peace -- will never happen under the conditions now in existence.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 09:29 am
Frank
Quote:
That having been said however -- I am of the opinion that there will NEVER be anything even resembling peace in that area so long as both the state of Israel exists -- and Arabs live there too.

What would you suggest the state of Israel cease to exist? Would you also suggest the Final Solution.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 09:35 am
I suggest that instead of building a coalition to defeat Iraq, that already defeated nation, Bush build one to separate Arabs and Jews for as long as necessary.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 09:56 am
Not particularly encouraging, but noteworthy ... it should be borne in mind that Pontius Pilate was Commander of The Roman Peacekeeping Force there a while back. Those folks have been goin' at each other for quite a while.

timber
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 10:03 am
Edgar
Quote:

I suggest that instead of building a coalition to defeat Iraq, that already defeated nation, Bush build one to separate Arabs and Jews for as long as necessary.

I agree that may be unfortunately the only way to keep the peace in the holy land.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 10:12 am
I mean dog those people with peace keepers. Don't let them go potty without a peacekeeper on their heels. Message: behave like idiots, get treated like idiots.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 10:31 am
Long, long ago, in a forum far, far away, I posited the imposition of peace on the region ... a powerful multi-national force charged with preventing, and redressing as appropriate, the squabbling. The proposal did not go over well.

timber
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 10:37 am
Likewise, Timber
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 11:21 am
timber i truely believe its the only option of merit, almost a berlin wall to begin with
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 11:37 am
An American woman peace protester was killed Sunday by an IDF bulldozer, which ran her over during the demolition of a house at the Rafah refugee camp in the southern Gaza Strip. Another activist was wounded in the incident.

Rachel Corey, 23, from Olympia, Washington, was killed when she ran in front of the bulldozer to try to prevent it from destroying a house, doctors in Gaza said.

"Corey was killed in the al-Salam neighbourhood when an
Israeli bulldozer covered her with sand as she stood in front of a bulldozer," said Dr Ali Musa, a doctor from the al-Najar hospital in the southern Gaza Strip. He said she died from skull and chest fractures.

The IDF said it was checking the report. The U.S. State Department had no immediate comment.

Greg Schnabel, 28, from Chicago, said the protesters were in the house of Dr. Samir Masri.

"Rachel was alone in front of the house as we were trying to get them to stop," he said. "She waved for bulldozer to stop and waved. She fell down and the bulldozer kept going. We yelled 'stop, stop,' and the bulldozer didn't stop at all. It had completely run over her and then it reversed and ran back over her."

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/273457.html
0 Replies