McCain wins, Frist/Dobson lose

dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 07:43 pm
short story made shorter Goldwater split the repubs against the moderate Rockefeller resulting in Johnson winning the election. Yes the conservatives came in strength to the primaries but damn if the voters saw things their own way. Funny thing about that whole thing was a lot of left wing liberals actually supported Goldwater. ( I was not a Johnson supporter)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 08:03 pm
Now that I think about it I am elated, McCain runs against Frist, no matter who gets the nod the Dems can run anyone, say someone as far left as Kucinich (not far left enough for my taste but a good start) and wammo the repubs have us elected a freakin' Liberal!!(there's always the danger of the dems running a moderate like MZ Clinton but that would give the Clintons a note in history as the best republican presidents of 2 centuries) politics is fun ain't it?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 06:08 am
It seems already to be getting a bit rowdy. Dobson yesterday called Lott "a Judas" and Lott responded by suggesting Dobson isn't being "quite Christian". Congress has gone traitorous on stem cell research and Specter is saying things about the White House that the crowd there ain't going to be happy about.

There is an inevitable conflict coming between the religious extremists and financial interests. What brought them together - the need to achieve as much power as possible for the party ammenable to their goals and their manipulation - is what will rip them apart.

McCain will be a target of both groups as neither wish someone of principle in their way. On this matter, they will remain in tandem.

McCain is still recognized by most people as the independent and principled fellow he is, but the conservative media machine will work to demean him as Rove did in the nomination battle (and as we saw immediately following the compromise agreement between the fourteen). We'll witness a concerted effort with a lot of big money and organization behind it to remove McCain from influence. Watch for, as disgusting as it will be, a SwiftBoats style patriotic vets against McCain campaign as part of this.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:36 am
we now return to yesteryear and watch McCain become "brain-washed" (by the by another interesting observation, in the Rockefeller/Goldwater conflict it was the conservative Goldwater who was regarded as the man with integrity). my how times have changed!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:49 am
Let go of the past, dys. Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:06 am
Its that memory thing X, you know how it is when you get old and cant remember where your left shoe is but you can remember your 3rd grade teacher? Well, I don't have that either but I do remember Goldwater "in your heart you know he might"
(did I tell you about the change from banana creame fillings?)
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:21 am
dyslexia wrote:
Its that memory thing X, you know how it is when you get old and cant remember where your left shoe is but you can remember your 3rd grade teacher? Well, I don't have that either but I do remember Goldwater "in your heart you know he might"
(did I tell you about the change from banana creame fillings?)

Ed Zachary!

And yes, I remember your 'filling' memories. Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:22 am
dys

Are you familiar with an old radio personality named Fulton Lewis Jr.?
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/05/26/fulton_lewis_connection/index.html
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:36 am
Ah yes another wild and crazy guy from the Nixon/McCarthy team. I Pine for the good ole days.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:25 am
Lash wrote:
dys--...They won't split.

...As soon as the smell (stench) of campaign season is in the air--everybody goes back into their corners...

That's the way it's been--but you may see some fireworks if they put Condi up...

ypu probably have that right, lash. the parties are made up of mostly single plankers, the ones that define themselves by their vote on a sole issue.

most voters aren't that way. some are (ie, abortion which is currently counted at about 14%-16% ), but more have a wider interest.

it's among the voters that you will see a split if the reps dub frist or rice (i'm really tempted to go after a joke about "frist rice" being on the menu, but that would really be stretching for it.. Laughing ). imho, both would be extreme to a wide range of people.

i offer as an example, myself. remember? i voted republican on presidents up until "family values" out ranked "fiscal conservatism".

i toy with the idea of voting republican again, should powell, mccain or perhaps hagle took the nomination. but to be honest, i don't know that i could or would as long as guys like frist, santorum, delay, et al are running around confusing the bible for the constitution.

most of my strictly conservative friends are starting to wonder about that as well...

time for a third party !

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/82/Mad30.JPG

it's interesting to note the date on the magazine's cover. the more things change, the more they stay the same... :wink:
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:29 am
I will have to get to know more about Hagel.

I couldn't support DeLay or Santorum, either--though they're no worse than plenty on the other side of the aisle--I couldn't stomach voting for them.

I really can't think of too many worth the trip to the precinct right now.

Hope that changes. I'd like some choices.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:40 am
I could not agree more . . . do you think you could find some employment for Mssrs. Voinovich and DeWine?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:45 am
Actually, they seem fairly moderate. I was way happy with Voinovich re: Bolton.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:47 am
Yeah, but you didn't live here when old George was our Governator. What really depresses me is the thought that Deborah Pryce is my Representative. Sort of like Mother Teresa being represented by Manuel Noriega . . .
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 01:22 pm
i keep hoping that our former mayor, richard riordan, will make the jump to national.

he was headed for sacramento during the recall, but the right to lifers went after him (typical. a wonderful administrator, but just wasn't nosey enough for that crowd..), and then ahnoldt backdoored him.

lash: i don't know that much about hagle yet either. just starting to really look into his rap sheet. i've had a favorable impression, but he just came out against the senate "compromise", so we'll have to see.

i still think powell would be excellent. he's gonna have to offer a mea culpa over the u.n. "show and tell" first, most likely.

gingrich is making noise, but i think rushsean hannibaugh is probably the only one that believes ol' newty could ever get any traction.

you're right though. there just doesn't seem to be a lot of obvious choices for either party to point at.

bummer. Confused
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 04:18 pm
Saw footage of Voinovich today. He doesn't seem mentally stable.

Will seek out background (votes and such) on DeWine.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:05 pm
Lash wrote:
Saw footage of Voinovich today. He doesn't seem mentally stable.

Will seek out background (votes and such) on DeWine.

he did seem quite upset. all things considered, he's got to be getting mondo pressure .
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:10 pm
Yep.

And I'm contributing a teeny-tiny gnat's worth.

Who knows if all the letters I'm writing do anything (most likely NO), but they're a nice outlet. And so far the Ohioans are doing what I tell 'em to.

Ahem.

Hey, delusions of grandeur are fun.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:13 pm
Yeah.

He was a little odd the day he started to go negative again on Bolton--but almost in mid-sentence, went in the other direction. It only caught my attention--but with some of his statements and unusual behavior-- I've been re-examining.

Still. You're right. I think it is likely that the knives are out in the GOP. I bet Voinovich is finding dead fish wrapped in his morning paper.

<Not trying to broad brush my party. There is probably a tight contingent out headhunting. There were some Dems not too happy with letting those judges through, as well.>

Still. Quite a time in DC of late, I'm betting.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:17 pm
Yeppers I see no party break-downs in my future, how about yours Lash?
0 Replies