McCain wins, Frist/Dobson lose

McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 08:24 am
All the Republicans wanted was a striaght up or down vote for nominees. They got that. I don't believe they actually wanted to do away with the fillibuster because someday, the Dems may actually attain a majority again and to not have that tool available in the future could be just like shooting themselves in the foot.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 08:45 am
blatham wrote:
Yes, I do love it. If the Republican party stays tied to, and obligated to, the extremists of the religious right, they'll be more powerful but also more pathologically insane. A bad combination.[/quote

One of the best, most clearly and accurately put statements I've read lately. <Stand up and applauds>
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 08:46 am
Quote:
All the Republicans wanted was a striaght up or down vote for nominees. They got that.

Not on all of them....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 11:36 am
funny. i just can't seem to recall james dobson running for the presidency or any other office. certainly don't remember him being elected.

robertson ran, but didn't even get nominated.

falwell... nope.

the sense of entitlement that these blasphemers have is staggering. "i voted for you, so you better give me everything i want and do what i say.", "you hear me, boy?"
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 12:01 pm
McGentrix wrote:
All the Republicans wanted was a striaght up or down vote for nominees. They got that. I don't believe they actually wanted to do away with the fillibuster because someday, the Dems may actually attain a majority again and to not have that tool available in the future could be just like shooting themselves in the foot.

To be accurate, McG, what they wanted (at minimum) was an up and down vote where and when that circumstance will ensure or make likely the person they approve of gets through. A 'fair up or down vote' was not always wanted by them. Yes?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 12:22 pm
you're right, blatham...

"up or down vote". just another cheesey buzz phrase.

the most valuable tool that the rovians employ is the ability to take something that is really lopsided and buff and polish it to a high sheen that just screams "sensible".

as long as you don't think too hard, it's nearly bullet proof. but i think that more and more people are beginning to listen a little more than they have been over the last few years.

i really do think that even if the republicans field and elect the next president, it won't be a rovian, murdochian or dobsonian.

and probably not from the south. three of the last four have been from down home. america's a pretty big country, surely there are still capable people in the other regions.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 01:11 pm
from Quin Hillyer at townhall

Quote:
Conservatives examining last night's Senate deal on judicial nominees should see it as not a compromise but, as a capitulation. It does not save the stature of the Senate, but confirms its reputation as a den of mutual back-scratchers willing to throw principle out the window so their own reputations for wisdom and statesmanship can remain intact.

The reasons for this indictment are many. But the primary reason is that the Senate has treated two nominees as dispensable pawns, with no thought at all about the torment they have been and will continue to be put through. Henry Saad and William Myers have been grievously wronged. They were subjected to rules that did not exist when their nominations were first forwarded, rules they had no reason to expect would exist.

Judges, waiting for word on an appointment, like taxi drivers being beaten and washboarded, suffer 'torment'.
0 Replies

PKB

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 01:56 pm
JustWonders wrote:
DTOM - an underage child has to have parental permission to accept an aspirin from a school nurse. Yet, you think a procedure such as abortion should be allowed without the parents' consent?
I don't recall abortion being a central issue in the recent election....except for when the Democrats tried to make it one.

My question here would be: Where was the parent when the child was getting "knocked up"? If the parent is more concerned about the school nurse passing out an aspirin than their child being sexually active then there is something wrong. Maybe the parent would be less offended if she were passing out condoms instead?

It is just crazy! Parents need to be more vigilant in leaning what is going on with their children. You have got to be pro-active----not pro-life or pro-choice. Granted, I don't want the government telling me what I can and can't do with my own body but on the same hand I am against abortion.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 03:52 pm
If I thought all these judges had in my mind was just to try and change or make abortion illegal, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I am against abortion except in extreme health cases.

It is all the other civil rights and liberties issues that we depend on the court for in our land that worries me.

Just judging by some of the way of thinking from some conservatives on these threads leaves me wondering what like minded conservatives in positions of power will do.

Being a Supreme Court Justice in the highest court in the land wields a lot of power over a lot of lives for far longer than presidents. I think the real fight is going to be there.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 05:16 pm
As much as the filibuster is still on the table so is the Constitutional option. It wasn't removed and it still can be used. I wouldn't really call this a win for anybody but more a continuation of the same old same old. As others have termed it, they just kicked the can down the street to only catch up to it and have to kick it again.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 05:17 pm
True dat.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 05:21 pm
We still have the option....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 05:22 pm
With the notation that Frist had the task of delivering the vote and McCain short-circuited Frist. Other than that, can kicking moves on down the alley.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 06:51 pm
Quote:
As much as the filibuster is still on the table so is the Constitutional option. It wasn't removed and it still can be used.

Fortunately for the dems,

I think that a significant faction of Republicans have shown they would rather not use the option. As time goes by it is hard to see how this number would shrink, especially given the rancor they are now being shown by their fellow Republicans...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 06:59 pm
And even more interesting, it looks as if the game may still be on!

http://thinkprogress.org/index.php?p=956

Quote:
BREAKING: Ignoring Deal, Frist to File for Cloture on Myers

In the deal struck yesterday evening, negotiators agreed that two judicial nominees - William G. Myers and Henry Saad - "will be filibustered or withdrawn."

Last night, Frist indicated he would abide by the agreement:

Mr. President, a lot has been said about the uniqueness of this body. And, indeed, our Senate is unique. And we all, as individuals and collectively as a body, have a role to play in ensuring its cherished nature remains intact.

And, indeed, as demonstrated by tonight's agreement and by the ultimate implementation of that agreement, we have done just that.

But Congress Daily PM reports that Frist has other ideas for later in the week:

Senate Majority Leader Frist will file for cloture on President Bush's nomination of William Myers to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals later this week, according to sources on and off Capitol Hill, wasting no time in testing the resolve of 14 Republican and Democratic senators who forced at least a temporary halt to the battle over Democratic filibusters of President Bush's judicial picks.

That didn't take long.

Posted by Judd at 3:41 pm

Does Frist have the balls to do it? Stay tuned!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 07:00 pm
The wrath of God (the WH and their constituents) may fall upon them, and they may repent.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 07:02 pm
(Meaning they may go for the option. That namby-pamby Lindsay Graham may never set foot back in SC.... They're waiting at the airport for him.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 07:04 pm
Oh, man, he's IGNORING it?!

This'll be interesting...
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 07:08 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
As much as the filibuster is still on the table so is the Constitutional option. It wasn't removed and it still can be used.

Fortunately for the dems,

I think that a significant faction of Republicans have shown they would rather not use the option. As time goes by it is hard to see how this number would shrink, especially given the rancor they are now being shown by their fellow Republicans...

Cycloptichorn
You would call 7 a significant when there were 48 others that were willing to call the bluff. I would call 7 a very small minority.

Besides it wasn't to halt all filibusters but just filibusters for judicial nominees, which has never been done in 214 years.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 08:17 pm
Baldimo,

You see,

THEY can see past their own bullsh*t. They know exactly that this is about, and they don't want any of it; they feel it would weaken the Senate, and some politicians actually feel that protecting the Senate is more important than serving the Party...

Not that you would know that if you were reading a Freeper thread or anything. I just saw Scarborough on MSNBC and he looked like he was going to have an apopoletic fit when he was talking about the guy.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies