Turning PBS into another propaganda tool

blatham

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:33 am
No they aren't. Unless, of course, one plunks oneself down in a Bush "townhall meeting".
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:39 am
rayban1 wrote:
.......the thought police are everywhere Crying or Very sad

Such irony!

What are you wailing about, Ray? You actively and vociferously support a government that wants to increase the thought police and decrease freedom.
0 Replies

the devil

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:40 am
Yo doods....are we talking Dirty Pillows here...yowser....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:00 am
Meanwhile, out in the rest of the world ...

nimh wrote:
And this month, Mugabe's Zimbabwe slides from being yet another petty African dictatorship with a pro forma democracy kept in control through election fraud, censorship and thuggery into something much, much worse ...

Read on ...: Mugabeast
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 09:12 am
Thanks nimh. I go through the Independent, the Gukardian and the London Times each morning so I've known about what's up.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 09:54 am
In that case I'm kind of baffled that you choose to spend all this time, energy and resourcesfulness on ever the same liberal/conservative squabbles, as if it actually yields anything. Oh, there's a new Pol Pot on our hands? Gosh. But you neoconservatives / ueberliberals, and flag burning / the ten commandments outside the Houston court, and this four-year-old memo that shows who was right about who was lying back then already … as if we didn't already know.

It's one thing to not actually know about any stuff beyond that, but to know and yet decide, lets focus all my argumentative skills on fighting cjhsa about "liberal professors"?

But of course, noone forces me to be here, so I'll politely retreat again and leave everyone to it again.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:04 am
Just so you know, I saw JTT's and Pdiddie's posts about me before they were unceremoniously deleted. I chose not to respond to them.
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 02:18 pm
McGentrix wrote:
It's all in the adjectives one chooses to use blatham.

Now, that's an answer!
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 02:23 pm
blatham wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
blatham, I've read your posts for a long time. If what I say about A2K isn't obvious to you, then you have the same slant in your thought process as you do in your writing.

I suspected you wouldn't take up my challenge to argue, or at least clarify your terminology, with some carefulness and rigor. But I'd hoped you'd at least give it a try.

I was thinking of posting the something along the same lines today but my question would have been what do you think a liberal is and why do you hate them.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 02:28 pm
Atkins wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Now, that's an answer!

Yes, yes it is. Do you understand it?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 02:49 pm
Atkins wrote:
blatham wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
blatham, I've read your posts for a long time. If what I say about A2K isn't obvious to you, then you have the same slant in your thought process as you do in your writing.

I suspected you wouldn't take up my challenge to argue, or at least clarify your terminology, with some carefulness and rigor. But I'd hoped you'd at least give it a try.

I was thinking of posting the something along the same lines today but my question would have been what do you think a liberal is and why do you hate them.

I don't hate them. I think of liberalism in its extreme form as a mental illness. I think the same of ultra-righties, but there aren't any of them here to pick on.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 03:18 pm
nimh wrote:
In that case I'm kind of baffled that you choose to spend all this time, energy and resourcesfulness on ever the same liberal/conservative squabbles, as if it actually yields anything. Oh, there's a new Pol Pot on our hands? Gosh. But you neoconservatives / ueberliberals, and flag burning / the ten commandments outside the Houston court, and this four-year-old memo that shows who was right about who was lying back then already … as if we didn't already know.

It's one thing to not actually know about any stuff beyond that, but to know and yet decide, lets focus all my argumentative skills on fighting cjhsa about "liberal professors"?

But of course, noone forces me to be here, so I'll politely retreat again and leave everyone to it again.

nimh

I'm terrifically fond of you, but you can be rather arrogant as regards your own notions of how discussions ought properly to proceed and as to what are the topics worthy of, or important to, address. Do you have some metric which weighs the political or educational effects of any discussion any of us have had on any subject? If the point is simply one of boredom, fine. That's a personal and quite arbitrary matter and applies to each of us in our own ways.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 03:44 am
blatham wrote:
Do you have some metric which weighs the political or educational effects of any discussion any of us have had on any subject? If the point is simply one of boredom, fine. That's a personal and quite arbitrary matter and applies to each of us in our own ways.

No, it goes a little bit deeper than that I'm afraid. To be brutally honest, you remind me of the people who'd gloss over budding news of Mao's budding misdeeds (not necessarily talking Zimbabwe here), because the real and acute danger to the world surely was McCarthyism.

Now there's no doubt about McCarthy's evilness, and my father's American mentor, a great mind, ended up doing exactly the same I'm sure. But basically, I'm coming away with the impression that looking into the bright flames of the damage done by neoconservatism has affected your ability to discern proportions somewhat. You also seem to have come away with the view that the danger is so big that you don't need to abide by any rules of politeness when it comes to fighting it, in whomsoever you happen to see it shine through here.

To be frank, it's exasperating. And since you never hesitate to expound at length in the sternest and most scathing terms about what all is wrong about how the world views of your opponents here are shuttered, distorted and short-sighted, I'm sure you'll appreciate someone providing a modicum of the same service to you.
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 10:49 am
McGentrix wrote:
Atkins wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Now, that's an answer!

Stop playing silly games and act your age.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:44 am
Nimh wrote:
To be frank, it's exasperating. And since you never hesitate to expound at length in the sternest and most scathing terms about what all is wrong about how the world views of your opponents here are shuttered, distorted and short-sighted, I'm sure you'll appreciate someone providing a modicum of the same service to you.

Bravo Nimh.....I also have been worried about Blatham's rather bizarre behavior and offer the opinion that like me, he has decided to drop all pretences due mostly to boredom with the silly sparring, and to just "let it all hang out"
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 12:18 pm
nimh wrote:

No, it goes a little bit deeper than that I'm afraid. To be brutally honest, you remind me of the people who'd gloss over budding news of Mao's budding misdeeds (not necessarily talking Zimbabwe here), because the real and acute danger to the world surely was McCarthyism.

Now there's no doubt about McCarthy's evilness, and my father's American mentor, a great mind, ended up doing exactly the same I'm sure. But basically, I'm coming away with the impression that looking into the bright flames of the damage done by neoconservatism has affected your ability to discern proportions somewhat. You also seem to have come away with the view that the danger is so big that you don't need to abide by any rules of politeness when it comes to fighting it, in whomsoever you happen to see it shine through here.

Well, ok, let's say there was once a time, now dimly remembered, where I may have been fond of you.

I don't mind your frankness, and I am little moved to have less affinity for you even given the opinions held and expressed above. I just think you are wrong as regards both the political dynamics of these times and of the role of 'manners' in a community such as this, right now.

There is always a danger in thinking one's time pivotal or in imagining that forces and persons that mark our time to be uniquely dangerous. That's commonly the territory of the paranoic, after all. One can be considered, even by one's friends, a mouth-frothing fruitcake. I'll risk that. However much I read, I'll never know enough. Whatever thesis I hold, some part of it is bound to be wrong. Whichever strategy I use, some other is surely to be more effective. That's the way of things.

I know there is a fire in Zimbabwe. Another in Darfur. Another with AIDS in Africa and Asia. Another with avian flu. Another with the stripping of the oceans and global warming. Lots of fires. Lots of potential fires. But smack in the center of every one of them - that is, the possible solutions or mitigations of global dilemmas - sits the US, doing almost nothing or making matters worse through obstruction and division and profit-mongering militarism.

A few weeks past, after reading some horrifying account of US military behavior, you said something like "I'm coming to think of the US as the real enemy." I applauded the epiphany silently. As you and I understand, it isn't 'the US', but rather a degraded and pathological version of what it has been and could be.

If I've got this seriously wrong, well good deal. The only negative consequence will be a few days quicker to the grave and a few friends less happy to see me arrive at their door.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 10:59 pm
Damn Blatham.......this is not at all like you to indulge in such self pity as though you were the first to ever be depressed about the state of the world.
You seem to have forgotten that educated people such as yourself have been making statements as you have just voiced, for at least 2500 years.
The only difference is that back then it was the Greeks or the Romans or whoever was the dominant power at the time.

Perhaps another difference is that we deserve what we get in the way of incompetent, greedy, self serving politicians even more now than before because we have the allowed the press to put every public servant under the microscope of the paparazzi and to tell them that nothing is sacred in their personal lives. Therefore only the thick skinned rogues will apply for the job.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:44 am
Atkins wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Atkins wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Now, that's an answer!

Stop playing silly games and act your age.

You didn't answer the question. That raises doubts whether or not you understood my statement. It's not a bad thing to say you do not understand, in fact, I believe it to be a sign of strength to admit not understanding something as it provides a learning opportunity.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 09:46 am
Quote:

Quote:
The only difference is that back then it was the Greeks or the Romans or whoever was the dominant power at the time.

As long as we're serving up some Frank......let's add in a little Myrtle as well. If we're all making each other sick, maybe now would be a good time to take a break. Feeling sick is the pits.

The ice man's mule is parked
Outside the bar
Where a man with missing fingers
Plays a strange guitar
And the german dwarf
Dances with the butcher's son
And a little rain never hurt no one

They're dancin on the roof
And the ceiling's comin down
I sleep with my shovel and my leather gloves
A little trouble makes it worth the going
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 06:55 am
Quote:
Damn Blatham.......this is not at all like you to indulge in such self pity as though you were the first to ever be depressed about the state of the world.

Not much in the way of self-pity involved here. I'm hardly the only person who deems this period pivotal and the consequences potentially very dire indeed. I was just being mannerly with nimh because I like him.
0 Replies