What's up with major designer brands and other companies making RACIST clothes, other goods and ads?

izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 05:19 am
@JGoldman10,
Those who benefit from white male privilege are likely to jealously guard especially when they've got nothing else going for them. They like to kick up a fuss, whine and play victim.

There's absolutely nothing to be offended about. It's not something people are bothered about over here.

I had to google Nick Cannon to see who he was, and I wasn't completely sure whether he was black or white.

That's because Nick Cannon is depicting a realistic looking person. If you passed them in the street you wouldn't give them a second glance.

Compare that to blackface, with the enormous white lips and white eyes. That's not at all realistic, it's a grotesque caricature.

And that's the difference, with the sole exception of Tropic Thunder I can't think of any positive use of blackface at all.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 05:56 am
@izzythepush,
The only times when the Brits are funny nowadays is when they try to be dead serious. Like Brexit: it's an absolutely hillarious farce involving a large variety of British clowns, all of them trying very hard to remain serious while the rest of us burst in laughter.

That's why John Cleese of Monthy Pyton fame is leaving the country: he can't stand the crashing bores you guys have become.

Olivier5

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 07:49 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I wasn't completely sure whether he was black or white.

That must have been so annoying, not knowing if he was "black or white"... Like, how could you possibly say anything about him without this OH SO VITAL information? You HAD to know, right?.... :-)))
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 10:32 am
@Olivier5,
John Cleese has been criticised for saying that London isn't an English city anymore because he was pandering to racists, and you've just confirmed that.

Olivier5

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 10:47 am
@izzythepush,
Still, he's pretty much the only credible contender in the British humor category in recent times, and now he's left. Benny Hill and you are still there, but you aren't funny.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 11:02 am
@Olivier5,
Rik Mayall was far funnier than either of them.

Olivier5

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 12:58 pm
@izzythepush,
That was pretty boring... Do you got anything that’s not xenophobic and recycling frog bashing clichés from the 19th century?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 01:05 pm
@Olivier5,
Nothing you'd understand.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 01:07 pm
@izzythepush,
Given your rock-bottom standards, probably so.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 03:43 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm an African American. I know what Blackface is. Blackface is looked down in the U.S. because historically it was used as a means to look down upon, demean and oppress African Americans.

Look up Al Jolson if you don't know who that is.

Look up "Amos and Andy". Amos and Andy was an old American radio and TV serial set in Harlem's African American community. They originally had two White guys donning Blackface before they employed African Americans to play the titular characters.

I could still somewhat tell that's an African American under Nick Cannon's whiteface.

"White male privilege" is a bunch of crap in the U.S.- I've done some research about this, and asked people about it.

Olivier5 wrote:

What does it tell you, if you don't mind me asking?

It means people KNEW they were joking around and that what the comedians were doing was not meant to be taken seriously.

People could LAUGH at CULTURAL differences.

Look at this:

This stand-up routine was done at a time when people weren't so culturally-sensitive and prone to get butthurt so easily, and when people weren't so concerned about having their "delicate little sensitivities offended".

We didn't have a whole bunch of SNOWFLAKES around back in the '80s and '90s. People weren't overtly concerned about political correctness back then either.

If Steve Harvey were to do a stand-up routine like the one he did in the video above NOW, he'd probably get a lot of backlash over it.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 05:10 pm
@Olivier5,
This is probably the funniest and cleverest comedic bit I have ever seen Eddie Murphy do:

He looks something like Tom Selleck here. Lol.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 07:16 pm
Getting back to the main topic, what I don't understand is WHY people of color, and some Whites, AGREE to participate in racist ads, and promote racist products, in THIS day and age.

I don't get it.

Look at this recent NIVEA ad, which I've seen on http://www.nbcnews.com/id/44206151/ns/business-retail/t/nivea-apologizes-ad-some-see-racist/ :

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/s36/MAvericker/1/707fe627-0782-4257-a9e9-d83cd6fcd74f-original.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

What is the ad implying? As someone in the article asks, are Black men "uncivilized" to begin with?

NIVEA produced a similar ad featuring a Caucasian male which received no backlash:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/s36/MAvericker/1/1f29e436-f8e8-48e5-afbf-af070a8e94af-original.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

NO ONE is forcing anyone to participate in racist ads or to promote racist products. Especially the people involved in the ads I posted pics up earlier in this thread.

No one forced that little Black kid to wear a hoodie that said "monkey" on it. I assume his parents put him up to having him involved in promoting that product and doing advertising for it because all they were interested in was money. I think that's the same reason why parents let children under 17 years of age star in or appear in R-rated movies. There's big money involved.

The Black man who starred in a racist Chinese laundry detergent ad back in 2016:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-36394917

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/s36/MAvericker/1/0b78d709-2489-4d79-8a54-efcd5f023541-original.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

claimed he didn't know what he was getting involved with when he agreed to do the ad, according to what I read about him.

I wish I could find the source that verified him saying this. I recall him stating this around the time news of the ad came out a few years ago.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 07:56 pm
Correction- kids don't really have a legal say in what they participate in. They have to get permission to do stuff from their parents, or parents often force them to participate in stuff.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 12:40 am
@JGoldman10,
That was funny alright, and smart too.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 03:00 am
@Olivier5,
Anything that tears down this supposedly ironclad barrier between "whites" and "blacks" is useful.

The problem I have with the PC concept of racism, is that it focuses on form rather than content. I see that as superficial and frankly, very stupid. Any word or picture or comedy form can be used in a racist intent or meaning. And any word, picture, etc. can be used in a antiracist manner or intent, even the most racially-charged. Like Murphy uses the word "negro" in this piece, and it's perfectly fine in the context. A PC cretin would not be able to understand that. He would stop at the word, ignoring what is meant by the artist or author.
Ragman

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 04:56 am
@Olivier5,
Brilliant skit and Eddie Murphy nails it.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 06:45 am
@Ragman,
I loved the "tight ass walking", how quietly and casually he slides these outrageous words in... That's swell. Also of course there's a certain amount of fun poked at the very idea of "two Americas", e.g. this preposterous idea that "whites" are nice with one another whenever no "blacks" are around. That is very smart, double-barrelled humour.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 09:11 am
@Olivier5,
"Negro" isn't a racist word. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was a born-again Christian and he used the term "negroes" in reference to African Americans.

The N-word and any slang corruption of it are racist terms.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 09:37 am
@JGoldman10,
My point is that any word can be used to convey a racist thought, and that any word marked as "racist" can in fact be used with a little creativity to combat racism.

Words are tools. Tools are not racist per se, PEOPLE are racist. Take the weaponized words they use and turn them around against them. Next time you hear a "white" guy saying "I can use the word "nigga" because rappers do so", tell him: "of course you can, you're just another nigga anyway".
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2019 10:34 am
@Olivier5,
I know people use the N-word and any slang corruption of it to mean "lowlife".

Use of the word "nigga" is nothing new, that term's been in use since the '70s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigga

I first heard the term used in this song:

I first learned that White folks were calling themselves "nigga" through this song.
0 Replies