What's up with major designer brands and other companies making RACIST clothes, other goods and ads?

Olivier5

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 06:28 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Is it illegal to show or depict anything having to do with Nazism in Germany?

No. Just selling memorabilia and sharing pronazi ****. Of course a historian or journalist can still write about Nazism. What's prohibited is promoting Nazism.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 06:45 am
@Olivier5,
That's what I thought.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 06:58 am
@JGoldman10,
A similar law applies in France. It's also forbidden in both Germany and France to deny the Holocaust.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 07:01 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

izzythepush wrote:

Che Guevara didn't set up a load of death camps in Germany.

True, but he was a villain. He was a communist revolutionary and was second in command to Fidel Castro. I'm not a history expert and I don't know much about Guevara. Didn't Guevara kill a lot of people?

I also don't know much about this historical goof. But since I don't? I don't throw out massive assumptions. It may be fair to say a Rhianna/Kim Jong-un comparison is just as likely a historical comparison as your Hitler/Guevara pairing. Just saying to... fact check something before you throw it into the proverbial debate ring. It's a safe bet that Guevara isn't in the same league of ... sigh... villainy as Hitler. (Side note that it's weird you used the word villain in describing real people not characters in a fictional world regardless of the format).

Quote:
Are they allowed to show anything bearing Hitler's likeness on or in anything in Germany? Or anything with Himmler's likeness on or in anything, for example?

Have you not seen any WWII based movies released globally? The depiction of these characters and symbols are all context based.

Quote:
If someone wears a t-shirt with Hitler's image on it in the U.S., that would usually generate a lot of backlash and controversy.

Probably not as much as you think it does. I mean... if someone high profiled wore a shirt or similar accessory then a lot of backlash would be (appropriately) generated. But if a nobody/Joe Schmoe ... and there are very likely more of these idiots as you'd like to think there are... wears a Hitler t-shirt (ironically or not). They're very likely to go unnoticed by the press and the greater world beyond Joe Schoe's sadsack local neighborhood crowd ... or more likely his empty hovel where he's clearly a hermit with some very dangerous ideas in his brain damaged head.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 10:26 am
@JGoldman10,
Che Guevara helped free a lot of people from Batista Mafiosa rule.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 03:01 pm
@Olivier5,
Hi. You still didn't answer my question. In what context were you using the term "monkey" when referring to me?

If you weren't being racist, then that was certainly RUDE of you. I think you owe me an apology.

I forgive you.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 03:25 pm
@JGoldman10,
It was just a joke though, a bit rude alright.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 07:33 pm
@Olivier5,
I forgive you.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 12:23 am
@JGoldman10,
Thanks. :-)
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 12:32 am
I recall a few years ago, Nick Cannon came out with a music album called "White People Party Music" and created a Whiteface alter ego called "Connor Small" to promote it:

Why did Cannon's use of Whiteface spark so much controversy when a handful of OTHER African American comedians donned Whiteface before him?

Eddie Murphy donned Whiteface in a classic SNL sketch, and he donned Whiteface when he played an old White Jewish man in Coming To America.

Martin Lawrence donned Whiteface when he played a White character in his sitcom Martin.

Shawn and Marlon Wayans donned Whiteface when they played two cops going undercover as two White women in the movie White Chicks.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 12:34 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Shawn and Marlon Wayans donned Whiteface when they played two cops going undercover as two White women in the movie White Chicks.

Now I want to see that movie...
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 12:38 am
@Olivier5,
If you don't mind me asking, are you an American?
Olivier5

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 12:46 am
@JGoldman10,
Tha anchor says it all: it's a clever way to market an album,to ride on today's outrage culture.

Come to think of it, it's also how Trump got so much free coverage from the media during his campaign. 1 single offensive tweet yielded hours if not days of non-stop coverage by the media, free of charge. All he had to do to stay at the center of media attention was to crack a couple offensive jokes per day...
Olivier5

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 12:47 am
@JGoldman10,
I'm French. I live in Italy (Rome).
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 12:58 am
@Olivier5,
Okay. That explains a lot. Thank you.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 01:01 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Tha anchor says it all: it's a clever way to market an album,to ride on today's outrage culture.

Okay. No one batted an eye when other African American comics donned Whiteface before Cannon, but they did what they did when people weren't so politically-correct and sensitive. They donned Whiteface at a time when people could laugh at things like racial/ethnic humor.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 01:43 am
@JGoldman10,
What does it tell you, if you don't mind me asking?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 04:26 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
They donned Whiteface at a time when people could laugh at things like racial/ethnic humor.

A sense of humour is becoming a rare thing, I agree.

The New York Times just decided to stop publishing political cartoons, because they have become a liability for a newspaper. It's just too risky in today's world to try and make people laugh and think at the same time.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/10/business/international-new-york-times-political-cartoons.html

And yet, Rabelais said that laughter is what distinguishes men from beasts (le rire est le propre de l'homme).

Olivier5

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 04:28 am
@Olivier5,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/resizer/bs3oU3qlkiDX2jlKm3slV4vrjH0=/1024x0/arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/PEDRBDZZNVHQFOGQUE3MVFQRWM.JPG
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2019 04:59 am
@Olivier5,
Insulting other people just for the hell of it like Charlie Hebdo doesn't display a sense of humour it shows pig ignorance and prejudice like the racist comedians of the 1970s.

Bigots always claim to have a sense of humour when insulting the weak and powerless. When it gets turned around they have none whatsoever.

People with a sense of humour can make you laugh without resorting to bigotry, and the best humour is self deprecating.

That's why British humour is renowned throughout the World whilst French Comedy is an oxymoron.