Is it true monetization is basically set up the same way on all video hosting sites?

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 07:35 pm
@JGoldman10,
So, what exactly is your business plan? We have all tried to help you but you have either been cryptic in your answers, leave out some details, or ignore the questions altogether.

So here are some questions that you should have answers to, if you are continuing in this creative path.

How many videos do you plan to produce, and what is the release schedule (once a week, one daily)?

How are you going to get people to watch your videos?

Will you utilize social media to advertise your videos?

How do you plan to compete against the other popular channels?

Do you have contigency plans if you fail to meet the criteria of getting the ability to monetize on any site?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 08:40 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

I found an article that explains how monetization is not enough for every creator.

There are other routes to funding projects, making money/supplementing income above and beyond video monetization: indie gogo, Kickstarter, Patreon, etc.... But from what we've seen here over from JGoldman (over literal decades worth of posting here at a2k)? I'm not sure he has the presence, personality, and graciousness to win people over to fund him through these channels. Not sure if Evangelicals would follow him down these paths.

I'd say he has to have some strong creative art game to his work to pull in an audience. Yet we never have seen any examples here (good, bad, or otherwise). And based on his choice of influences? Really outdated and not in a retro-nostalgiac way?

After so many years of people trying to offer advice and support which is constantly rebuffed or ignored? People have a right to be cynical.
chai2

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 08:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsar, he can't show us examples because his printer doesn't have ink, and he's lost his social security card again.

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 10:03 pm
@chai2,
Who needs ink to scan a digital image? Or he could take a digital image on a smartphone and post it thusly?

Chai? He's been here posting to a2k since 2005. That "my printer doesn't have ink" excuse cannot have possibly been the case he's never posted anything for 15 years of being an active member (giver or take the few times he's gone sabbatical from the site).
chai2

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 10:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh man. Go back to around page 4 or 5 here.

You will learn that obtaining printer ink is indeed at very complicated process that pretty much stops not just scanning, but doing just about all activities of daily living.

I might be totally wrong here, but I know that someone a pretty long time ago was posting art work of cartoon stuff. I can’t remember if it was theirs or showing an example of what someone they knew was doing.

All I really remember about it was one thing. You know those free neighborhood or community newspapers that get thrown on your lawn? A lot of times there would be a “kidz korner ” where the project would be something like “Draw Sonic the Hedgehog!”

Then there would be submissions by “Aaron- 4 years old” and some contorted version of Sonic that obviously Aaron’s grandmother sent in.

I’m not saying it was Goldman’s work or thread, but I’m t wouldn’t surprise me.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 9 May, 2020 04:43 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I haven't considered having a good business plan and model. There have been a few times I recall trying to work as an independent contractor. I don't know too much about going into business for myself. I don't know too much about establishing my own business. I have to sit down and figure all this stuff out.

I've worked from home and did some freelance work but I never established my own company.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 9 May, 2020 04:59 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I've worked from home and did some independent and freelance work but I never established my own company.

-FIXED.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 9 May, 2020 05:01 pm
@JGoldman10,
You have repeatedly mentioned that you were busy with family matters in the last 20 years, but in that time, you never thought about how you were going to be successful with your art?

You can't expect to post videos online and get millions of views overnight. Even the article I posted says that you can only get about $12,000 per year solely on ad revenue, and you only get that much if you have a high ranking channel with millions of views.

Whenever anyone here or anywhere asks "what if you fail?", you dismiss them for being cynical/negative or ignore them altogether.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 9 May, 2020 05:17 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Since crowdfunding is a big thing now I'll start some crowdfunding funding campaigns for getting what I need to produce my animation and comics, which includes furthering my training, and getting what I need to make and upload web videos with.

I need tools, equipment, materials and resources to produce animation and comics. I need special equipment to make and upload web videos. I need money to further the training I want and need to produce my animation and comics- I want to learn how to voice act professionally and produce comics professionally.

In the meantime I'm going to learn how to use the art programs I've talked about acquiring and using through the Metrix Learning System at my local employment center. I can do that online.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 9 May, 2020 05:30 pm
@JGoldman10,
You have said all this to me in some form or another, even word for word, many times in the last few years.

You also avoided answering my business questions again. Particularly the one addressing possible failure.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 9 May, 2020 07:24 pm
@Rebelofnj,
In response to your first statement, I know.

In response to the second, I am not sure. I recall my mother encouraged me to become an actuary, which is a statistician for life insurance companies. However you have to take a series of exams and courses before you can even get a license. That's going to cost 100's to 1000's of dollars which I don't have right now.

Right now, as of the time of the posting of this my priority is getting my mother and myself situated with Social Security. After that is squared away then I can focus on dealing with employment. Doing some kind work that I can get paid for.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 9 May, 2020 08:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
Even getting started on making animations at your home would cost hundreds of dollars, with no guarantee that the endeavor will be successful. As explained to you before several times.

When you do get sufficient money, I would suggest spending that on a career path to be a statistician, if the need to be financially secure is important to your life.

If you truly want to be an animator and care about your creative output, then make animations. However, to repeat again, posting online videos is not guaranteed to be financially successful.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 9 May, 2020 08:42 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I know. I would like to produce both animation and comics.

I'm going to pray and ask the Lord what I should do regarding a career like my mother said I should do.

My mother and sister suggested working as an actuary because I'm adept at math and I don't have to be concerned about dealing with people.

A lot of people do online commission work- they produce art and writings they showcase online and get paid for it. Do people make good money doing that?

I should ask my American Christian penpal if he has ever done any online commission work and if he has ever made good money with the writings he produced.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 9 May, 2020 08:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
Commission payments varies from artist to artist due to the art style and the difficulty of the requested art.

Not sure you can make a living solely on commissions.

Typically, people would make requests after seeing the artist's work on their social media pages. However, you have been very reluctant to post anything online for years out of fear of your work being stolen, despite hundreds of artists do it every day.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 9 May, 2020 09:12 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Do you know any people who produce online commission art and writings?

Is setting up crowdfunding campaigns easy? Do you know any people who have any crowdfunding campaigns?
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 9 May, 2020 09:50 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I had a few pieces of artwork I created which I've showcased in a few online photo albums. I had one preliminary comic book story I wrote and illustrated which I got copyrighted with the Library of Congress years ago.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 10 May, 2020 04:19 pm
From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_of_webcomics#Feasibility_and_economic_intent :

"According to a 2015 survey by David Harper, over 80 percent of webcomic creators he questioned are unable to make a living off their work, as the majority of his respondents made less than $12,000 USD a year off their work. Very few professional webcomic creators set out to earn a living from their work initially."
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 04:22 am
@JGoldman10,
Some artists on Tumblr, Twitter, DeviantArt, etc post their commission price on their pages, as well as the average time it would take to produce.

You asked about this before.

I do not know the difficulty in setting up a crowdfunding campaign. You previously asked questions and threads about crowdfunding; you should check those threads for any informative answers.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 07:55 am
@Rebelofnj,
Hi. That's not I asked. I said do you know anyone who produce online commission art and writing work?

Do you know anyone who have any crowdfunding campaigns?
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 08:06 am
@JGoldman10,
I told you about some artists in some early private messages, but you keep forgetting.

I do not personally know anyone who created crowdfunding campaigns. I contributed money to several campaigns on Kickstarter and Indiegogo, but that is it.

Even if I did know someone, then what?