Is it true monetization is basically set up the same way on all video hosting sites?

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 08:52 pm
@Rebelofnj,
How popular are film festivals now in the 21st century, especially in the Internet Age?

Do people get more exposure for their works at film festivals then through online platforms?
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:12 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I don't remember and/or keep track of every single question I ask.
I have a lot on my mind and a lot of things I have to deal with in my personal life, especially now with the Covid-19 crisis going on and things being on lockdown and such.

And using the internet would be a heck of a lot easier if I could use it on a desktop computer or laptop instead of on a smartphone.

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
You are really out of touch if you didn't think film festivals are popular.

Many festivals (Sundance, Tribeca, TIFF, SXSW, etc) are very popular, and filmmakers all around try to have their films shown there to get publicity.

Releasing a film online is only successful if it is released on Netflix or Hulu. Otherwise, it will get little notice. Netflix has been good in marketing some of their films; The Irishman and Marriage Story have received Oscar nominations and wins back in February.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:14 pm
@Rebelofnj,
You're not answering my question about Dailymotion. What about them?
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:17 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I didn't say film festivals weren't popular. I know they were popular in the late 20th century. There were a handful of animation festivals I recall hearing about back in the '80s and '90s.

Out of the festivals you mentioned by name Sundance is the only one I've heard of.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:18 pm
@JGoldman10,
Never used Dailymotion, and I don't care enough to go to their website to find out if they pay creators.

How come you can't check for yourself? As I said before, you are the only person I have seen, online and in real life, that talks about Dailymotion and wants to use it for money.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:21 pm
@Rebelofnj,
But you've used YouTube, Vimeo and Metacafe?
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:24 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:

You don't remember asking the same question over and over?

And the last few times you asked these questions, there wasn't a major health crisis going on.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:26 pm
@Rebelofnj,
No.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:26 pm
@JGoldman10,
YouTube and Vimeo, yes I used them on a regular basis. Vimeo, not so much.

Last time I visited Metacafe was apparently 2 years ago, when you asked about their monetization strategy. Otherwise, I never used it at all.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:27 pm
@JGoldman10,
In case anyone missed it:

JGoldman10 wrote:

I have a lot on my mind and a lot of things I have to deal with in my personal life, especially now with the Covid-19 crisis going on and things being on lockdown and such.

And using the internet would be a heck of a lot easier if I could use it on a desktop computer or laptop instead of on a smartphone.

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:29 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

YouTube and Vimeo, yes I used them on a regular basis. Vimeo, not so much.

Last time I visited Metacafe was apparently 2 years ago, when you asked about their monetization strategy. Otherwise, I never used it at all.

I think I asked about Dailymotion back then. How come you didn't answer my question when I asked about their monetization strategy, assuming you didn't answer?
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:34 pm
@JGoldman10,
To repeat: Never used Dailymotion, and I don't care enough to go to their website to find out if they pay creators.

Your smartphone usage is weird. Why is it easier for you to use this site in a regular basis, but can't seem to use Google?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:50 pm
@JGoldman10,
Just to remind you: I am not a filmmaker, a video editor, nor an animator. And I do not plan to produce any videos.

This means I do not readily know how to make money with YouTube or any of the other sites. So, to get that knowledge, I would have to go to each site and look up their policies. I have only done this as a courtesy to you because you asked for help.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2020 10:58 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Thank you.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2020 09:32 am
@Rebelofnj,
Apparently COPPA is impacting the way people showcase their stuff online, and I've learned this fairly recently as of the time of the posting of this, but this is a topic for another thread.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2020 09:48 am
@JGoldman10,
How is it impacting how people show their work online?

There are thousands of people showing their work online every day, every hour.

The law was passed years ago. Apparently, today is the 19th anniversary of its effective date. The law is about protecting children's privacy online.

Nothing about the law is about creative arts.

You also never answered my question:
Why is it easier for you to use this site in a regular basis, but can't seem to use Google?
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2020 10:43 am
@Rebelofnj,
I'm going to discuss how COPPA is impacting what people show online in another thread.

The FTC is using COPPA to target "user-created content" on certain websites.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2020 10:57 am
@JGoldman10,
How is it that you keep bringing various laws and regulations that is somehow stopping you from working on your projects?

First, you talked about the FCC and their regulations in the 90s. Now, you are bringing the FTC and COPPA.

None of these should be stopping you from working on your projects. It is certainly not stopping millions of other artists from doing their jobs and projects.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2020 11:12 am
@Rebelofnj,
That's not what I'm talking about.