Blizzard Forum Says You Must Use Real Names ...

jespah

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:43 pm
... in order to be able to post.

Assuming they don't fold up their tent in a week due to nobody joining or hanging around, what do you think are the implications of such a move?

Some folk here already use either their full real names or at least their first names or an initial and a real last name. Others, such as myself, have real names out online and it's not too hard to put two and two together.

For us, well, shrug, really.

For others, though, what say you about this mass required outing? And is there any way in hell it could possibly be enforced?

Da source of the info:

roger

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:44 pm
@jespah,
Sounds like a board suitable for intracompany communication.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:45 pm
How would they know if I'm really Jessica Simpson or Eva Braun or if my parents named me Honeycakes Bumpkin?
sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:55 pm
@jespah,
Right, I don't see how it can be enforced.

I'd strongly object to them requiring any kind of "proof" -- presenting ID of some kind.

And if it can't be enforced, the whole thing is pretty meaningless.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:38 pm
@Green Witch,
i might just have to join said forum as honeycakes bumpkin
djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:45 pm
@djjd62,
hmm, looks like you need to actually own a copy of the game to join, they ask for a CD Key
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:51 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
Assuming they don't fold up their tent in a week due to nobody joining or hanging around, what do you think are the implications of such a move?

http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/d1444fb1bd0de0d10474219900ee9efb?r=R&d=identicon&s=40 joefromchicago

It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em.
dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 06:16 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Some folk here already use either their full real names or at least their first names or an initial and a real last name. Others, such as myself, have real names out online and it's not too hard to put two and two together.

For others, though, what say you about this mass required outing? And is there any way in hell it could possibly be enforced?

Da source of the info:

How would they know?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 06:20 pm
@jespah,
dunno aboot the blizzard "forum", but I've dealt with their gaming sites and products for many years.

I am my alter internet name there as well as all other cyber-sites that require a moniker.

I doubt they care that much to try and enforce it.

mebbe they are just tired of gamer names...

R(dragonslyer666)H
jespah

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 07:01 am
@Rockhead,
Oh, this is rich: http://wowriot.gameriot.com/blogs/Americans-are-bad-at-games/Real-Names-on-the-Official-Forums-New-REAL-ID-function?gr_i_ni

Oh, Micah, we hardly knew ye.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 09:31 pm
@jespah,
How are they going to verify that the user's account is under their real name? Does the person have to verify their identity with say a credit card?

I'm not sure about the implications of this divulgence but knee jerkishly it sounds like they're doing it to slow down any possible trolling and online bullying.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 09:42 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Da source of the info:
Surely u know much better than I qua whether it coud be enforced,
but I imagine that an alias 'd be hard to detect.

Years ago, I 'd have had to censor myself, because I held a public office
with which I 'd not have desired any controversy to be associated.

David
jespah

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:11 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Well, it backfired on them. Here's a commentary from PC World: http://www.pcworld.com/article/200858/blizzards_real_id_snafu_4_lessons.html?tk=hp_new
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:20 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Da source of the info:

One aspect of internet culture is having this sort of anonymous identity, which in a way is fine and okay however being able to change that identity to something else causes another potential problem. Abuse of identity is what I call it, where a person will act like a complete douche bag because they know that no one will know who they are, so they don't actually have to be accountable or responsible in any way, for what they say.

I personally think this is a huge draw back to internet identity. I am not against people using a different name but I think there needs to be something done about multiple identities, but this will probably never occur because it is simply too easy to alter it, not to mention I am against required identity practices in any way. The reason is you create too much corruption and ability to take advantage of people in other ways, so it is never a good solution.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 04:09 am
@jespah,
Quote:
Blizzard backs down on real-names in WoW
July 12, 2010

Blizzard Entertainment is backtracking on plans to require players to use their real names when posting on its online forums.

Following an outcry in the gaming community, Blizzard lifted the planned requirements.

It said it will still make other changes intended to curb bad behavior in the game forums. These include the ability to vote comments up or down, with low-rated posts slowly disappearing.

http://www.watoday.com.au/digital-life/games/blizzard-backs-down-on-realnames-in-wow-20100712-1069d.html
jespah

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 06:02 am
@tsarstepan,
Yep. They done realized -- oops -- you give out real names, someone's bound to Google 'em.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:33 am
@tsarstepan,
Watoday, as quoted by tsarstepan wrote:
It said it will still make other changes intended to curb bad behavior in the game forums. These include the ability to vote comments up or down, with low-rated posts slowly disappearing.

How does a post slowly disappear? Posts are either on the board or they aren't---no?
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 01:17 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

jespah wrote:

http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/d1444fb1bd0de0d10474219900ee9efb?r=R&d=identicon&s=40 joefromchicago

It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em.

I would never reveal any identifying information, like my name or where I'm from, on an internet forum.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 06:21 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

How does a post slowly disappear? Posts are either on the board or they aren't---no?

Maybe with each subsequent thumbs down, the words and the letters start to fade in the offensive post? Sounds good? Razz
dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 04:09 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Thomas wrote:

Maybe with each subsequent thumbs down, the words and the letters start to fade in the offensive post? Sounds good? Razz

COOL!!! A Cheshire Cat fade!!!