Complicated Hernia Surgery (Sigh)

Reply Sat 25 May, 2019 10:42 pm
I'll be headed into the hospital again on 28 May for surgery to repair another diaphragmatic hernia. The surgeon hopes to repair it via laparoscopy but if there is too much scar tissue they will have to open it up. This particular hernia has allowed part of my colon and my stomach to slide up into my chest cavity. Ouch, right??? I was short of breath after minor activity, and going upstairs made me rest for 10 minutes to get my breathing back to normal. Of course my doctor sent me off for exhaustive heart testing...nothing wrong with my heart (phew) so then it was off to pulmonary docs (they do nasty tests). After a bronchoscopy and other tests the pulmonary doc said there was nothing wrong with my lungs (whoopee) four days later I was in the hospital with pneumonia. One of the docs thinks they transferred an infection in my esophagus to my left lung and that's when we really started to have fun. I'll spare everyone the entire saga, but ultimately the outrageous cough that developed because of the esophageal infection (and lasted 2 years . coughing up blood) caused two more hernias to appear, hence the colon and stomach parts up in my chest making it difficult to live normally. Hopefully this surgery will repair this mess and I will live happily ever after. I may be in the hospital for 2 or 3 days, which I hate, but not as much as I hate having my colon sharing space with my lungs. I'll be posting here and there, but probably not much from 28 May - 31 May. If Trump resigns from office during that time, please call me.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 2,073 • Replies: 45

Sturgis

Reply Sat 25 May, 2019 11:11 pm
@glitterbag,
glad that this is finally being tended to (know you've been waiting a long while and dealing with insanity).
Try to get a room with a pleasant view.
Hopefully this'll put you back on track and feeling like you should...and want to.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 25 May, 2019 11:26 pm
@Sturgis,
Thank you Sturg, Ive been drinking these liquid protein 'shakes' (they call them shakes because they want you to think they might be yummy) for 2 weeks and tomorrow I have to switch to clear liquids until the day of surgery. It's not ideal, but it's not all that bad. To be truthful, I would be willing to do this for 6 months if it means getting everything back where it's supposed to be.
roger

Reply Sat 25 May, 2019 11:41 pm
@glitterbag,
Best of luck. Keep us informed?
cherrie

Reply Sun 26 May, 2019 12:46 am
@glitterbag,
What an ordeal!

I hope it all goes well for you, and that you're on the mend and feeling much better very soon.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 26 May, 2019 01:45 am
@roger,
Thank you Roger, I think I'll give my password to my son Eric so he can post an update. It will come up as g'bag (as usual) but I've asked him to identify as either lil G'bag or son of G'bag.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 26 May, 2019 01:46 am
@cherrie,
Thank you cherrie, I've got my fingers crossed.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 26 May, 2019 03:21 am
@glitterbag,
Yow — sounds like one of those issues that you really want to get cleared up! Hope you have a good stay in the hospital and quick recovery. I'll be thinking of you.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 26 May, 2019 03:46 am
@glitterbag,
You take care darling, we're all thinking of you, and you're a fighter.

glitterbag wrote:

I hate having my colon sharing space with my lungs.

It could be worse, look at Coldjoint, his colon has taken over his mouth, his brain, everything.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 26 May, 2019 04:04 am
@hightor,
thank you hightor, I'm keeping a positive outlook
glitterbag

Reply Sun 26 May, 2019 04:05 am
@izzythepush,
hahahahahahaha. Thanks Izzy, I hadn't thought of that.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 26 May, 2019 04:47 am
@glitterbag,
If you've still got your sense of humour you'll win out in the end.

Last night was a tale of two concerts in Southampton. Take That have reformed and were playing to a sell out crowd at the Rose Bowl cricket ground.

That's not the concert we went to.

We saw the reformed Gong supported by this band. My ears are still ringing, it was fantastic.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 26 May, 2019 11:47 am
@glitterbag,
Best of luck and a speedy recovery!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 May, 2019 01:45 pm
@PUNKEY,
I can only join the good wishes of the others. (I've heard that the doctors in the hospital are hot! You might not want to get better too fast if it’s true. Wink )
glitterbag

Reply Sun 26 May, 2019 02:28 pm
@PUNKEY,
Thanks Punky
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 26 May, 2019 02:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks Walter, but usually pickin's are slim doctor wise. I'll be happy with attentive nurses....The nurses are the ones who make sure you get better and keep the doctors on point.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 27 May, 2019 06:28 am
@glitterbag,
Best of luck on successful surgery and a speedy recovery. Hopefully in no time at all you’ll be better and less limited than before.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Mon 27 May, 2019 08:47 am
Some doctors are nutritionists, but any doctor you can get an appointment with knows nothing of nutrition. They simply have no training in that field. Nutritionists say that a hernia is a symptom of deficiency of B vitamins. That is cheap and easy to test: take B-50 or B-100 pills.

B vitamins are totally safe. B2 is a water soluble dye that makes urine bright yellow. When the color fades it's time for another pill.
chai2

Reply Mon 27 May, 2019 02:44 pm
@Jewels Vern,
Yep. That B12 will make her stomach and colon drop right out of her chest cavity.
jespah

Reply Mon 27 May, 2019 02:45 pm
@glitterbag,
Sorry I didn't see this before. Wishing you a good, fast, complication-free surgery and recovery.