Complicated Hernia Surgery (Sigh)

glitterbag

Reply Mon 27 May, 2019 04:48 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Yep. That B12 will make her stomach and colon drop right out of her chest cavity.

hahahahahahahahahahahah snort snort hahahahahahahahahahaha. ow that hurts, damn you chai2
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 27 May, 2019 04:49 pm
@jespah,
thanks Jespah, much appreciated.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 27 May, 2019 11:34 pm
I'm hitting the sack, surgery should start in about 11 hours from now. If they are on time, but I've never had a surgery that ever started on time.

Back in a few days.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 May, 2019 01:17 am
@glitterbag,
Thinking of you.

Take Care.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 28 May, 2019 01:00 pm
@glitterbag,
All the best Glitterbag. So sorry to hear the struggles you've had.. Here's hoping that the surgery will put everything back in its rightful place and make life more normal again! Crossing my fingers for you.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 28 May, 2019 02:20 pm
I'm rooting for you. Hope things go smoothly.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 30 May, 2019 12:20 am
@Roberta,
Thanks Roberta, I had surgery Tuesday, and I’ll provide details later when I feel better.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 May, 2019 12:29 am
@glitterbag,
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 May, 2019 01:35 am
@glitterbag,
Echoing what Walter said.

Yesterday I took the boy to see Godzilla King of Monsters, on reflection I think I would have preferred surgery to that.

It was terrible, it doesn't even get released officially until tomorrow. I saw a special preview, and everyone else in the cinema, including the boy, was really excited.

I felt like a pig farmer at a bar mitzvah.

You take care, and get better.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 31 May, 2019 03:52 am
@izzythepush,
Thanks again to Walter and Izzy,

So today is Friday May 31st and I’m pretty sure I can go home this afternoon. I know the surgery sounds grim but I’m grateful to finally have all theses issues sorted out. The surgeon discovered a tangled mess of scar tissue and adhesions and ultimately they had to remove my spleen. It had adhered to part of my stomach and was stretched around from the back around the ribs and then up near the hernia. They tried to ‘feather’ it away but it started to bleed so out it came. All the extra pressure on the left side collapsed the left lung so they had to put in a chest tube. I was blissfully unaware of any of this and even in recovery I could tell I had better lung capacity. It’s sore near the incisions and the area where the chest tube was but I think I’m a lot stronger (sore but stronger). I’ll post more after I get home, and I’m very grateful for all the lovely expressions of support. You folks are the best.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 31 May, 2019 04:24 am
@glitterbag,
Ooh!

That sounds very sore. I've got a hangnail that's been pissing me off but I'll keep schtum about it.

If your breathing is better that's so good, it should help you get a better night's sleep.

You'll feel a lot better when you get home.

Fingers crossed, legs crossed and everything else.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQq_AbqidE8YU8mQHEzsVFZ8GolJyVrDuX-KfqEJXvoPkhmGqst
Now I look like Bill Murray I'm going to strut about like a minor celebrity walking into lamp posts, trees and small children.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 31 May, 2019 04:35 am
@izzythepush,
It’s sore alright, not as bad as yesterday and in a month or so it will be a dim memory. I’m just so happy someone finally took these symptoms seriously and even better, fixed it.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 31 May, 2019 05:03 am
@glitterbag,
You can live with something if you know it's going to get better.

I've just been to the shops, and these are pasted all over town.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2zhsqxtpInv2tMzwAl5lS7Czfa8XhjX5wjjcUIdHFCv9iZ7z-xA
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Fri 31 May, 2019 05:39 am
@glitterbag,
Glad to hear it all went well, sounds like it was all a bit of a mess in there.

Good that you're feeling better and stronger already, and going home will help a lot with that. There's nothing like being in your own bed.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 31 May, 2019 01:23 pm
@glitterbag,
Glad you are in the mending process.

(did the surgeon give you a chance to bid your spleen adieu?)
glitterbag

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2019 07:42 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

(did the surgeon give you a chance to bid your spleen adieu?)

NO!! (deep sigh of resignation) but a memorial service will be planned in the near future.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2019 07:43 am
@glitterbag,
Are you back home yet?
glitterbag

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2019 10:05 pm
@izzythepush,
I got home late afternoon on June 1st. I'm still so weary I can't draft 2 or more sentences at one time. I hoping to be better on Sunday. Well, by better I mean stamina (more of it).
roger

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2019 11:08 pm
@glitterbag,
You survived! And yeah, we don't heal as fast as we used to.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2019 11:12 pm
@roger,
But we've got more time for it now! Very Happy