Things i like about George.W.Bush

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:17 pm
physgrad wrote:
1. He tries to do what he thinks is in the best interests of the people who elected him.

2. He has an intelligent team of advisors and he listens to advice and opinions.

3. He has a set of beliefs and reasons behind those beliefs.

4. He may not be the most eloquent of people in politics, but he seems to be consistent in his actions.Also, most of the statements I read were bitter personal attacks on the character of a man no one here claims to know personally. Kind of like an ex-wives club.

If you dont like some policies, target those and explain why. Alternatively If you just don't like his face, that makes you shallow and concerned with outward appearances. It says absolutely nothing about him.

If I went to church every morning and **** on the altar I'd be consistent in my actions...that is no great recommendation or accomplishment. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:21 pm
He's not John Kerry.

He's not a sniveling liberal.

He doesn't think he is better than anyone else.

He is not afraid of his beliefs.

He has had one of the best cabinets in the history of the office.

He continuously pisses off the left.

He has liberated two countries from the clutches of madmen.

There are so many more...
0 Replies

physgrad

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:37 pm
Quote:
If I went to church every morning and **** on the altar I'd be consistent in my actions...that is no great recommendation or accomplishment.

By consistency in action I meant that he is clear on what he stands for and commits actions consistent with the the mandate he received. That is people knew what they were getting with George Bush. You may not agree with his stance, but that is not a crime.

Also since when did 'liberals' reserve the right to have an opinion? I thought being liberal meant supporting an individuals right to express an opinion even when you didn't agree with it. Why should Bush or his supporters not be extended the same courtesy that you expect when stating beliefs? It seems that everytime Bush or a supporter says something everybody on the left starts a character attack as if that is somehow meant to counter the right wing argument.

Debate bush by debating his issues, his stance in politics, his policies. Personal attacks with no basis in actual fact, lead nowhere.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:47 pm
I like the way that George Bush has consistently and successfully proven himself to be incapable of holding an intelligent conversation with those who interview him. Fact! Hows that?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 07:03 pm
Quote:

Snivelling takes a pulse and a cortex. Both of which seem absent

Quote:

Thats really scary in a president

Quote:

Thats true, but we are

Quote:

HA ha ha haaa ha haa ha ha haa ha ha ha ha ha , jeezus, why am I laughin, this guy believes.Ya gotta admit McG, but Bush's cabinet seems free of decent economic advisors. Wheres our "ENERGY POLICY"

Quote:

see my above comment. With a smarter president and cabinet of advisors actually fit for service, perhaps Mr Hussein could have been taken out without killing almost 2000 of ourkids and how many Iraqis? and also without bankrupting our nation.
"liberating" in the sense that we merely defer the inevitable civil wars and the 1984 scenarios for us.

Quote:
He's not John Kerry.

That is so painfully obvious.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 07:11 pm
He doesn't shift his stance on policies based on that weeks polls
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 07:22 pm
Quote:

Sometimes being flexible is considered smart. Remember a guy named Adolf? He was pretty steadfast in his policies also.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 07:50 pm
farmerman wrote:
Quote:

Sometimes being flexible is considered smart. Remember a guy named Adolf? He was pretty steadfast in his policies also.

And there we have it. The obligatory Hitler/Bush reference. Seems to me that some guys named Truman, Roosevelt (both of them) and Churchill were pretty steadfast in their policies as well.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 08:47 pm
Quote:
Truman, Roosevelt (both of them) and Churchill were pretty steadfast in their policies as well.

Youre confusing steadfastness with results. Truman had a deuce of a time with the A bomb. There were several affairs in war that caused Churchill and Roosevelt to confer There was a time that Churchill was going to sue for peace and sail his entire Navy to the US, and Roosevelt wanted nothing with WWII(it was thrust upon him by Japan's attack and Germany "s Declaration of war on usw. Im sorry but I see nothing that even remotely allows a valid comparison with Bush.
Maybe you were thinking of the other Roosevelt (the one with Bush's IQ times 2)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 09:04 pm
Actually, Theodore Roosevelt was as apt as any politician to set his sails to run before the current wind of public opinion. However, a comparison of TR to the Shrub is more valid than a ludicrous appeal to FDR or Truman.

TR graduated from Harvard, with honors. The Shrub, graduated. After his graduation, TR went to Columbia Law School (he did not graduate). After graduation, the Shrub went back to Tejas. TR wrote and published a history of the naval war of 1812 which is still the last word on the subject--in the 1890's, the Royal Navy commissioned TR to write the article on the war of 1812 for their official history. The Shrub went back to Tejas. TR stood for office in the New York Assembly, and fought the political machines and the vested interests who profited from their relationship to the machines. The Shrub went back to Tejas. After the tragic death of his wife, Alice Lee, TR went to the Dakotas, and became a cattleman; he hunted down despardoes and faced downed armed bullies in salloons; he organized the first stockmen's association. The Shrub went back to Tejas.

I could go on, but i think the point is made.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 09:26 pm
farmerman wrote:
Quote:

Snivelling takes a pulse and a cortex. Both of which seem absent

Quote:

Thats really scary in a president

Quote:

Thats true, but we are

Quote:

HA ha ha haaa ha haa ha ha haa ha ha ha ha ha , jeezus, why am I laughin, this guy believes.Ya gotta admit McG, but Bush's cabinet seems free of decent economic advisors. Wheres our "ENERGY POLICY"

Quote:

see my above comment. With a smarter president and cabinet of advisors actually fit for service, perhaps Mr Hussein could have been taken out without killing almost 2000 of ourkids and how many Iraqis? and also without bankrupting our nation.
"liberating" in the sense that we merely defer the inevitable civil wars and the 1984 scenarios for us.

Quote:
He's not John Kerry.

That is so painfully obvious.

And here I thought this thread was about what you thoughts about Bush, not what you thought about what I thought Bush.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 09:55 pm
>Things i like about George.W.Bush

How about, he hasn't bombed any innocent nations or people for the benefit of narco-terrorists or to wag the dog.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 11:05 pm
Intrepid wrote:
True ehbeth,

I wasn't sure if that was tongue in cheek or he seriously meant that he liked Bush. The term winner is used in various forms. If it was not tongue in cheek, then Tico is the only one with enough savvy to actually post something positive for something that he believes in without bashing others to do so.

My apologies to Tico if I misread.

Sometimes I like to leave foks guessing exactly where my tongue is ...

What I said is a true statement. Each time a Bush-hater calls him a 'tard or "brain-dead," I need only smile, knowing he's beaten the best the Democrats had to offer in two national elections ....
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 12:48 am
Quote:
Youre confusing steadfastness with results.

steadfast:adjective
2 : firm in belief, determination, or adherence
results: intransitive verb
1 a : to proceed or arise as a consequence, effect, or conclusion <death resulted from the disease> b : to have an issue or result <the disease resulted in death>
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary.htm
Nope...no confusion on my part. I meant steadfast.
Quote:
Truman had a deuce of a time with the A bomb

No doubt that he did. I would hope that any President would have trouble with this decision. Truman was a man of decisions and that was the first of many to characterize his Presidency. It was a core belief of his that was his job to do just that. "I am here to make decisions, and wether they prove to be right or wrong, I am going to make them.(1) " (July 1945) He also had a strong belief that the post WWII Soviet Union was not to be trusted. In his address to a joint session of Congress, March 12, 1947, he presented what would become known as the Truman Doctorine. It committed the country to assissting nations threatened by Soviet actions-economically, politically and militarily if neccesary. Truman stated, "I believe it must be the policy of the United States to support the free peoples who are resisting attemted subjugation by armed minorites or by outside pressures...The free peoples of the world look to us for support in maintaining their freedom. If we falter in out leadership, we may endanger the peace of the world-and we shall surely endanger the welfare of this Nation." (2) Many historians mark this as the beginning of the Cold War.
To the Best of My Ability-The American Presidents, James M. McPherson(1)pg. 236 (2)pg. 238
Seems like he was pretty determined here. As does Bush here in this speech to a joint session of Congress, Sept. 20, 2001. "On September the 11th, enemies of freedom committed an act of war against our country..."
"Americans are asking: How will we fight and win this war? We will direct every resource at our command -- every means of diplomacy, every tool of intelligence, every instrument of law enforcement, every financial influence, and every necessary weapon of war -- to the disruption and to the defeat of the global terror network..." and "Great harm has been done to us. We have suffered great loss. And in our grief and anger we have found our mission and our moment. Freedom and fear are at war. The advance of human freedom -- the great achievement of our time, and the great hope of every time -- now depends on us. Our nation -- this generation -- will lift a dark threat of violence from our people and our future. We will rally the world to this cause by our efforts, by our courage. We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail." And that was in my opinion the beginning of the war on terrorism http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/09/20010920-8.html
Can you show me how either strayed from their convictions during the remainder of their terms? I say that they were and Bush continues to be steadfast, even though the polls do not always favor this position. I have no problems in comparing Bush's steadfastness to Truman's steadfastness while in office.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 01:27 am
Quote:
There were several affairs in war that caused Churchill and Roosevelt to confer

Yes I agree that they both had to confer and even change the plan from time to time. But you can't argue that both determined and believed strongly that Germany must be defeated. Bush is also determined that we must defeat terrorism. While I concede that Bush is not handling his war as well as they did, but stand by my original statement that he is not changing his policy regarding it to polls.
FDR also was very determined to enact his New Deal policies, which the Supreme Court were questioning on constitutional grounds, and ruled 2 of them unconstitutional. He then in 1937 tried to pack the Supreme Court. Even when that failed, he remained steadfast to his policies and got them through. Bush, wether you agree or not, is being very steadfast in his attempts to make changes to SS. And isn't Bush being accused of trying to pack the courts with judges favorable to his positions? I can come up with more if you like. I am not comparing Bush the person, or the intellect to that of Truman, FDR, Churchill or TR. You compared him to Hitler in being steadfast, and I in turn compared him to the above, ALL of which can be said were steadfast in their policies.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 01:41 am
What do I like? Nothing! I couldn't even think of anything to joke about. The man is the scum of the earth, if you can even call him a man.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 01:58 am
Setanta wrote:
Actually, Theodore Roosevelt was as apt as any politician to set his sails to run before the current wind of public opinion. However, a comparison of TR to the Shrub is more valid than a ludicrous appeal to FDR or Truman.

TR graduated from Harvard, with honors. The Shrub, graduated. After his graduation, TR went to Columbia Law School (he did not graduate). After graduation, the Shrub went back to Tejas. TR wrote and published a history of the naval war of 1812 which is still the last word on the subject--in the 1890's, the Royal Navy commissioned TR to write the article on the war of 1812 for their official history. The Shrub went back to Tejas. TR stood for office in the New York Assembly, and fought the political machines and the vested interests who profited from their relationship to the machines. The Shrub went back to Tejas. After the tragic death of his wife, Alice Lee, TR went to the Dakotas, and became a cattleman; he hunted down despardoes and faced downed armed bullies in salloons; he organized the first stockmen's association. The Shrub went back to Tejas.

I could go on, but i think the point is made.

Did I compare the non Presidency accomplishments of either man? No. I used TR because he was another historical person that I feel was steadfast. But since you bring it up, there are more comparisions than most know of.
Bush is accussed of being a cowboy. McKinley's campaign manager, Mark Hanna, said of TR, "Now look! That damned cowboy is president."
Many claim Bush is the most dangerous man on earth, guess what, Woodrow Wilson once called TR, "The most dangerous man of the age."
Bush has a physical lifestyle, and so did TR.
In office, TR created a cabinet position, Dept of Commerce and Labor, to monitor the trusts and Bush has created the Dept. of Homeland Security, which..well, hasn't went as well. TR went against previous adminstrations half hearted attempts to control the mega companies, and took it head on rather than just talk about it. Bush has taken a position on SS, and while not popular, at least he is acting and not just giving lip service to the situation. And in getting the reforms through Congress, TR wasted little time or political capital trying to forge legislative coalitions. Seems that Bush does the same thing. Seems like both had a belief and were/are steadfast in trying to accomplish them. I could go on, but I think my point is made.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 02:00 am
roverroad wrote:
What do I like? Nothing! I couldn't even think of anything to joke about. The man is the scum of the earth, if you can even call him a man.

Come on...don't hold back...let us know how you REALLY feel.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 02:03 am
He's unified most of the rest of the world in opposition to his government's policies & actions. This is a rare situation indeed!
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 02:12 am
msolga wrote:
He's unified most of the rest of the world in opposition to his government's policies & actions. This is a rare situation indeed!

So that would be a like or a dislike??? Smile
0 Replies