Losing More Vision - Afraid

Noddy24

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 08:22 pm
Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...but not necessarily sight.

Really!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 11:07 pm
Oh, Squinney, I just found this thread. I understand the real fear - love to you, and hang in there.

Of my four eye surgeries last year I had general anaesthesia for one of them.. so I am wondering if you have to be awake or is that a money question?

I also wonder about the university hospital situation. I was first seen years ago at Jules Styne Eye clinic at UCLA; that was prorated for ability to pay, and that's a top rated place. Maybe there is somewhere in your state that is similar.

Hugs to Set too....
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 12:16 am
Squinny, so sorry to learn of your ordeal. I have occasional blind spots from optical migrains, very annoying, and I've suffered the fear you must be having (only natural) from very large floaters. But I take some comfort from the way friends of mine have adapted to their blindness (one congenitally blind, the other from retinitis pigmentosa). They amuse and stimulate themselves with a very active social life, NPR, and books on tape. One has a computer (synthesizer?) with which he has an active email life. And they both LOVE their guide dogs. So, while, I know I would be scared to death to be told I have macular degeneration, I know that I'd manage to live a happy life in spite of it. It's still the shits.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 02:39 am
Thinking about you this morning, Squinney and hoping today is a better day for you.
I'm with the others and sharing their frustration on you not being able to get the medical attention you need.
It's just not fair!!!

(((((Montana Hugs)))))
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 10:25 am
Talk to the Lion's Club--"Eyes" are one of their causes.

Talk to someone in your local welfare office about state-run programs for helping with extraordinary medical expense.

Be honest with your doctor about your lack of insurance.

Are drugs involved in treatment? Ask your doctor about contacting drug companies for special rates.

Having no medical insurance and medical problems is bitter, bitter, bitter. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 11:00 pm
On steroids, I am wondering, Squinney, if they mean steroid eye drops. I take them and have for a year plus. So far so good, no bulging eye biceps...
They are tricky, in that the steroid drops decrease inflammation, but at least in some situations they increase intraocular pressure, so there is a bunch of monitoring going on while you take them.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 07:20 am
Lion's Club is a fantastic idea.
0 Replies