Losing More Vision - Afraid

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:11 am
Well, looks like I get to deal with the ol' eye doctor again, so probably won't be posting much.

I had a bout with ocular hystoplasmosis in '89 which caused loss of central vision in my right eye. It invaded my left eye in '97 and had to be lasered, causing loss of vision in the bottom left peripheral of my left eye. Now it appears to be entering my central vision in my left eye.

I may have options other than laser this time, but not sure how effective they are or whether or not I'm up for them (I'll spare the details, but anything that requires collapsing my eye while I'm awake... Huh-uh!)

Trying to hope for the best, but can't seem to get my spirits up. Can't imagine losing more vision. Have enough trouble reading, watching tv, and driving as it is. My depth perception is already off. I already miss details and have to take longer than normal to look at and figure things out. I already miss judge and whack dishes, pans, etc as I'm putting them away. (Minor problem, but you should see my dishes!)

Anyways. Keep some happy thoughts coming my way if you don't mind.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,589 • Replies: 46
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:15 am
I feel for ya, darlin' . . . but i just can't reach ya.

I have had maculopathy in the right eye for more than a year now, and the same symptoms in the left eye for more than six months. I suspect, although i don't like to think about it, that i may be experiencing the onset of geriatric macular degeneracy. It is truly hell when one's vision deteriorates.

Keep us posted, as you are able. You would certainly be missed if you left us.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:15 am
Happy thoughts and prayers speeding forth from Stoneham!
I'm taking my Mom in for cataract surgery next week,
so this has been on my mind as well.
If it were me, I don't mind admitting I'd be scared spitless.
Hang in there!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:16 am
Happy thoughts on the way!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:18 am
Oh no... that sounds very scary indeed. I've been there, in a way (hearing instead of vision).

Options are good, even yucky ones.

Do give yourself permission to just be sad. Trying to keep yourself happy when there's a lot to be sad about is too exhausting. They don't have to be mutually exclusive -- you can be sad for a while, then take a deep breath, shake out your hair, and get into proactive mode.

You're one tough lady, you can do this.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:33 am
a lot more than "some" happy thoughts coming your way, squinney.

I hope all goes well.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:34 am
The Bear will always watch over squinney as well, I have it on good authority.

And she is one tough lady btw
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 03:50 pm
Thanks, all.

Set - This is a lot like macular degeneration, but not due to age. Actually caused by fungus transported by birds that gets inhaled and then shows up decades later in the macular area.

Parados - Your avatar made me smile. Hope it was worth it, but only time will tell! : ) Thanks for the extra happy thoughts!

Boomer and George - Much appreciated.

sozobe - I can't figure out if I want to be sad or angry. Changes every other minute. I'm sure I'll shake it. Just ironic that the #1 cause for re-activation is stress/ lowered immune system due to stress. How much more stressful can it get than to be losing ones vision?

Just can't imagine how depressing it would be to not be able to work, read, chat here, be independently mobile, etc. What do blind people do to entertain themselves or keep their minds sharp? (Not that mine was ever that sharp, I'm just sayin' - Geez it seems so boring)
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 03:57 pm
Squinney - so sorry to hear of your difficulties. I think my brother-in-law might have the same sort of thing. His is due to a virus carried in chicken manure - and probably infected his eye years and years ago when he was a child. It only manifested itself about a year and a half ago. He also has had a lot of ups and downs and is just trying to keep his chin up. My thoughts are with you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:00 pm
If worse comes to worst, squinney, there are passels of adaptive software out there, especially for blind people. (As in, a much higher percentage of it is for blind people than for deaf, mobility impaired, etc.) Don't think that any of this would be barred to you -- it might take a different form, and likely would be more frustrating (at least at the beginning), but you'd still be able to do it.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:02 pm
I'm so sorry squinney...keep ya chin up! Very Happy
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:10 pm
I hope you find some good options, squinney. I'm sending lots of warm thoughts too.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:49 pm
My thoughts and heart are with you, Squinney. I'll keep my fingers crossed for some awesome options for you. Smile

I had to give up driving about 9 months ago because of vision loss, so I really do understand what you must be feeling.. I'll be there with you in spirit.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:58 pm
Oh, my. The best of luck to you, Squinney.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 05:17 pm
Well that's just a heapin' helpin' of p@@p Evil or Very Mad

One of my very very very favourite clients decades ago had the same diagnosis. With some great assistive devices (and they're waaaaay better, and more affordable now) she got a new job as the admin assistant to the head of the department of a local university. She retired from that job just a coupla years ago (we kept in touch through mutual friends).

She didn't have someone as lively and competent with makeup in her life as you do. You and theBear are gonna get to the top of the next mountain. I've got no doubt about it.

<and no I DON'T say doot or aboot>
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 05:28 pm
Oh, Squinney. That's a bad deal. Here's hoping that there is a better outcome than the one that worries you. Medicine ought to have come up wth some better treatments in the past few years. I sure hope so.

But... some kind of bird virus did this to you??? Damn.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 05:56 pm
I sympathize. I have just begun to face my own vision problems. Won't know much until I have seen a doctor about it. It's pretty scary, but hopefully we can all deal with our problems and still lead happy lives.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 06:45 pm
SQuinney - That sounds like a permantent migraine blindspot - no fun at all. I'm sending positive thoughts your way....... When do you go in for a visit with your eye doctor?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 07:10 pm
My thoughts and heart go out to you, I'd be terrified if it were me, just watching the Mrs and her vision conditions sober my heart.

Ditto to you Set.

I feel lots of us take our vision for granted.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:09 pm
Oh squinney, I am so sorry to hear that.
Would it be possible for you to consult one of the
top leading ophthalmology clinics - like the Wilmer Eye
Institute at John Hopkins in Baltimore?

Especially ophthalmology has had such promising break throughs in recent years that there might be a possibility
for a better vision.

Even for macular degeneration there is some progress made,
although no cure, but advanced technologies to maximize
ones eyesight.

My fingers are crossed for you squinney. Despite the
heartache, it's nice to have a great guy next to you,
helping you all the way Wink
0 Replies