Gay Rights and Fertility Clinics: "Born Gay"

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:48 pm
It seems to be the leading opinion among most liberals, that being "Gay" is something that someone is born with. If someone is, infact, "born gay" is it therefore genetic?

And , if Homosexuality is genetic, should Gay Men and Women who donate their sperm or eggs have their "donations" appropriately labled?

Should a couple seeking a sperm or egg donor have the right to know?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,720 • Replies: 62
No top replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 06:06 pm
WTF?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 06:08 pm
So you are from free and vigilant? Is that somewhere in Canada. Somehow I don't get the felling you live in San Francisco, the only free spot in the US.
0 Replies

Trupolitik

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 06:14 pm
Chrissee wrote:
So you are from free and vigilant? Is that somewhere in Canada. Somehow I don't get the felling you live in San Francisco, the only free spot in the US.

Is that what you normally do when you dont want to address the Issue?
This is a relevant legal question of "informed consent" is it not?
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 06:57 pm
One is "born" gay just as one is "born" staight. It's not a disease, it's not hereditary. The most I've even seen evolve from having parents that are homosexuals is an open mind. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Trupolitik

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:03 pm
Sanctuary wrote:
One is "born" gay just as one is "born" staight. It's not a disease, it's not hereditary. The most I've even seen evolve from having parents that are homosexuals is an open mind. Rolling Eyes

ok...if someone is "born" a certain way, how is it not genetic? interestingly someone just sent me this article...If it is replicated, and Homosexuality IS shown to be hereditary....Should the couple seeking a donor have the right to informed consent, just like they have for Race, education level, and history of family diseases of the donor?

http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/100/105486.htm?pagenumber=1

Quote:
Jan. 28, 2005 - The genes a man gets from his mother and father may play an important role in determining whether he is gay or not, according to a new study likely to reignite the "gay gene" debate.

Researchers say it's the first time the entire human genetic makeup has been scanned in search of possible genetic determinants of male sexual orientation. The results suggest that several genetic regions may influence homosexuality.

"It builds on previous studies that have consistently found evidence of genetic influence on sexual orientation, but our study is the first to look at exactly where those genes are located."
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:09 pm
I am missing your point..?

If homosexuality is affected by genes, then obviously so is heterosexuality.

If we start "informing" adoptees if the child is gay, then we would just as fairly have to inform them if their child were going to be straight. I don't see the point of your post, rather than to bash homosexuality?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:11 pm
So, ummmm, exactly how do straight parents end up with gay kids?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:18 pm
Because really, when you think about it, most adult gay people were born to heterosexual unions.

And we know it's not really a product of nurture either because most gay adults were raised in heterosexual homes.

So it must be more akin to liking broccoli.

A matter of PERSONAL preference that is really nobody else's business.
0 Replies

Trupolitik

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:23 pm
Sanctuary wrote:
I am missing your point..?

If homosexuality is affected by genes, then obviously so is heterosexuality.

If we start "informing" adoptees if the child is gay, then we would just as fairly have to inform them if their child were going to be straight. I don't see the point of your post, rather than to bash homosexuality?

Not informing them if the child will be gay, but rather there is a higher probability if they choose a specific donor. The Couple is already informed of Race, Educational level, and family disease history of the donors. IF, the study is replicated and there is scientific evidence that the probability is higher, then Why shouldnt they be informed in light of the other factors?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:33 pm
Trupolitik wrote:
Chrissee wrote:

Is that what you normally do when you dont want to address the Issue?
This is a relevant legal question of "informed consent" is it not?

There is no issue here only nonsense.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:43 pm
I would never be so presumptious as to respond for Sanctuary, who is capable of holding her own but let me offer this --

Having a kid is a crapshoot.

Even in this age of modern medical miracles you aren't sure what your going to get.

Science has shown that even clones are not identical in temperament, personality or preferences to the parent.

Chrissee is right - this is nonsense.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:44 pm
Anyway, I am still wondering where free and vigilant is and if you are so ******* free, why is it necessary to be vigilant. That does not sound like freedom to me.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:47 pm
boomer, as you know, human genes carry an infinite number of complexities, to attempt to issue a disclaimer as to what those genes might carry based merely on one's sexual orientation is really beyond nonsensical.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 08:03 pm
If homosexuality is not a genetic trait, then it is a learned trait. If it is a learned trait, then that will undermine much of the homosexual agenda.

Parents wishing to use an anonymous sperm donor should be aware of the sexual orientation of the donor so that it reflects the sexual orientation of the parents.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 08:28 pm
Did Einstein's parents teach him to be a genius? Or did Stephen Hawking's parents just have the right genes?

Is intelligence a 'genetic trait', or is it a 'learned trait'?

Dammit, I demand answers! Now! (And a shrubbery!)
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 08:28 pm
McGentrix wrote:
If homosexuality is not a genetic trait, then it is a learned trait.

Wow! If only human existence and sexuality were this simple? BTW who taught you to be a heterosexual? (assuming that is what you claim you are)
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 08:34 pm
What is so mindnumbingly stupid is that some people talk about homosexuality and heterosexuality in black and white terms.

There is not a single individual who has ever been born whose sexuality is identical to anyone else. To try to classify someone merely based on with whom he or she has the proclivity to engage in sex with is ridiculous.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 08:57 pm
Chrissee wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
If homosexuality is not a genetic trait, then it is a learned trait.

Wow! If only human existence and sexuality were this simple? BTW who taught you to be a heterosexual? (assuming that is what you claim you are)

Then you agree that homosexuality is an inherited trait and therefore women that use sperm donations should be aware of the sexual orientation of the donor.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 08:59 pm
Chrissee wrote:
What is so mindnumbingly stupid is that some people talk about homosexuality and heterosexuality in black and white terms.

There is not a single individual who has ever been born whose sexuality is identical to anyone else. To try to classify someone merely based on with whom he or she has the proclivity to engage in sex with is ridiculous.

Well, consider the fact that you are either a homosexual or you are not. I was not aware that degrees of homosexuality existed. Are you suggesting that some people are only half gay?
0 Replies