God is Irrelevant!

Intrepid

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 10:39 am
Jesus broke it down very simply in Matthew 22:37-40

"Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

If these laws are obeyed, all of the others fall into place.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 10:58 am
Amen to that, Intrepid!
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 05:40 pm
diagknowz wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Momma, please explain this. With so much obvious obnoxious trash in the Bible, how can you use it for a moral guide. How do you decide which law is a good law and which law is unworthy. Slavery was acceptable by both Jehovah and Jesus. Does that make it acceptable to you?

Mesquite, the Bible doesn't pull any punches when it describes people/history. It doesn't sugar-coat what people did. That doesn't mean that God condoned or endorsed all the violence. On the contrary, that's why He gave the 10 Commandments (which are explained at full length, as it were, in DEUTERONOMY & LEVITICUS). There's TONS of useful material there.

Yep, plenty of info there about what will happen if you don't follow the commandments. Sure is a jealous butt breath though.

Leviticus 26:27-32
Quote:
.27 And if ye will not for all this hearken unto me, but walk contrary unto me;
28 Then I will walk contrary unto you also in fury; and I, even I, will chastise you seven times for your sins.
.29 And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat.[
30 And I will destroy your high places, and cut down your images, and cast your carcases upon the carcases of your idols, and my soul shall abhor you.
.31 And I will make your cities waste, and bring your sanctuaries unto desolation, and I will not smell the savour of your sweet odours.
32 And I will bring the land into desolation: and your enemies which dwell therein shall be astonished at it.

diagknowz wrote:
The 10 Commandments are not only a reflection of God's character, but they're the building blocks of civilization. I always tell my friends that if all were rubble (say, after a nuclear blast), one could rebuild civilization merely with D & L in hand.

They show his character for sure.
The 2nd Commandment.
"2. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me. Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor any manner of likeness, of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; Thou shalt not bow down unto them, nor serve them; for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me; And showing mercy unto the thousandth generation of them that love Me and keep My commandments."

As to their worth as building blocks for civilization..
The bottom line is that:
* Our laws directly contradict 4 commandments.
* Our laws ignore 3 of them.
* Our laws agree with 3, but that is a coincidence.
The Seven Lost Commandments.

diagknowz wrote:
You mentioned slavery: it is nowhere commanded in the Decalogue. Also, a lot of modern people don't understand that slavery in the ancient world wasn't always the kind of slavery practiced in the States against Blacks. Read up on slavery sometime; you'll be surprised. (I'm not endorsing or excusing slavery; I'm just telling you that it wasn't all like the type practiced in the South.)

Who cares if the ill named Decalogue "commanded" slavery. The tenth at least condoned it.

17. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Perhaps you could point out to me any significant difference between this description and the way slavery was practiced in the South?

Lev.25:44-46
Quote:
Thy bond-men and thy bond-maids which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you: of them shall ye buy bond-men and bond-maids. Moreover, of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land. And they shall be your possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession, they shall be your bond-man forever.

diagknowz wrote:
As for distinguishing between which laws to apply and which not: in a nutshell, the dietary & ceremonial ones are no longer spiritually binding

Sure a convenient little change made by Paul so that Christianity would be an easier sell to the non Hebrews. Imagine the difficulty in those days of getting someone to voluntarily get their penis whacked with crude tools and no anesthetic. By the way, I have always wondered about that circumcision rule. Was that to fix an imperfect design?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 10:51 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
I do not have very much knowledge of slavery in the Bible, so, I can't give you an informed answer. Di seems to know more about slavery in those times so, I will defer to her.

I addressed it with Di in the previous post.

Momma Angel wrote:
And you wanted me to explain "With so much obvious obnoxious trash in the Bible, how can you use it for a moral guide? How do you decide which law is a good law and which law is unworthy? Well, let's take the Beatitudes for a second. These are all kind, loving, forgiving, good guides. So, of course, I would try to adapt these into my life.

I think you are attracted to the Beatitudes because of your character and who you are. I suspect you would gravitate in that direction even without your religion. The problem lies in that not everyone has your strength of character.

Momma Angel wrote:
And to be honest with you, I can't think of a law right now (I just woke up) that (I will use your word here) unworthy. So, if you could give me a law you have in mind, I would be happy to address it. The only way I could answer it now is to say that we have laws in our country I consider good laws and laws I consider unworthy. But, here in this country, we have the right to work to change those laws. So, if you give me an example maybe I can give you a better answer.

There are so many, but for now just consider this one.

Lev 20:27
Quote:
A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood [shall be] upon them.

I chose that one because it leads into this excerpt of a writing by Mark Twain. If you can't take the time to read the whole work (very short) at least please read this part. He said it so much better than I ever could.

Mark Twain wrote:
Our own conversion came at last. We began to stir against slavery. Hearts grew soft, here, there, and yonder. There was no place in the land where the seeker could not find some small budding sign of pity for the slave. No place in all the land but one -- the pulpit. It yielded at last; it always does. It fought a strong and stubborn fight, and then did what it always does, joined the procession -- at the tail end. Slavery fell. The slavery text remained; the practice changed, that was all.

During many ages there were witches. The Bible said so. The Bible commanded that they should not be allowed to live. Therefore the Church, after doing its duty in but a lazy and indolent way for eight hundred years, gathered up its halters, thumbscrews, and firebrands, and set about its holy work in earnest. She worked hard at it night and day during nine centuries and imprisoned, tortured, hanged, and burned whole hordes and armies of witches, and washed the Christian world clean with their foul blood.

Then it was discovered that there was no such thing as witches, and never had been. One does not know whether to laugh or to cry. Who discovered that there was no such thing as a witch -- the priest, the parson? No, these never discover anything. At Salem, the parson clung pathetically to his witch text after the laity had abandoned it in remorse and tears for the crimes and cruelties it has persuaded them to do. The parson wanted more blood, more shame, more brutalities; it was the unconsecrated laity that stayed his hand. In Scotland the parson killed the witch after the magistrate had pronounced her innocent; and when the merciful legislature proposed to sweep the hideous laws against witches from the statute book, it was the parson who came imploring, with tears and imprecations, that they be suffered to stand.

There are no witches. The witch text remains; only the practice has changed. Hell fire is gone, but the text remains. Infant damnation is gone, but the text remains. More than two hundred death penalties are gone from the law books, but the texts that authorized them remain.

It is not well worthy of note that of all the multitude of texts through which man has driven his annihilating pen he has never once made the mistake of obliterating a good and useful one? It does certainly seem to suggest that if man continues in the direction of enlightenment, his religious practice may, in the end, attain some semblance of human decency.

Bible Teaching and Religious Practice
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 11:10 pm
Mesquite,

Quote:
I think you are attracted to the Beatitudes because of your character and who you are. I suspect you would gravitate in that direction even without your religion. The problem lies in that not everyone has your strength of character.

Now, I am going to take that as a compliment. I would surely like to think that I do have the kind of character that would make me gravitate toward them. Thank you.

I love Mark Twain! This was definitely one of his best and most intriguing writings in my opinion.

I have read some books on the so called witches, especially of those of "Salem". Funny, but few realize they did not burn perceived witches in Salem, but they hung them.

Anyway, are there witches? I don't know. I know the bible says there are, but given the time of the Bible's writings, I don't know how the word witches would have been defined then. I highly doubt they were the long-haired, crooked nosed, flying on a broomstick type of witch. Does it mean those who practiced what was considered paganism? I don't know. I do believe in good and evil spirits.

I have had an experience with what I believe to be an evil spirit. Now, that I can speak from some knowledge. But, only in that one particular instance in my life.

Do I think we should go out there and burn, stone, or otherwise condemn what some may perceive to be a witch? Most definitely not!

The type of Christianity I believe in is not the Christianity of condemnation from me or any of its followers. That is God's domain and I have no right whatsoever to condemn anyone for anything.

What I believe is what I believe for me. Would I like everyone else to believe in Christ? Yes, I won't deny that. But, I want that for everyone because of what it has done for me in my life. I would love for everyone to experience what I have experienced and am experiencing every day. But, it is not my right to say, "If you don't believe the way I do then you will go to hell." I don't have that right to make that judgement. I only have the right to tell you what I believe and that's only if you are doing as you are doing, asking me questions, exchanging ideas, etc.

I do not have the right nor the power to condemn anyone. The only one that can do that is the One that is Without Sin, and honey, it sure ain't me!

Momma Angel
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:23 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
I love Mark Twain! This was definitely one of his best and most intriguing writings in my opinion.

Did you read the link to the whole piece, or just the part I quoted?

If you liked that one you might also like this one.

Little Bessie by Mark Twain[/u]
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:35 pm
Mesquite,

No, I have to say I didn't read the whole think linked to it. I do intend to though. I was just focusing on the part that you posted.

Thanx for the link. I do most of my reading in the wee hours of the morning so I will check this out.
0 Replies

amosunknown

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:42 pm
When it comes down to it, we had all better KNOW what we know and not be half hearted about it. The christians and all others following have to answer to their God, the other religions have to answer to their god(s), even the athiests have to answer to themselves... and everyone will have to answer to the one who was right.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:55 pm
Amosunknown,

Now, that's a statement I can appreciate.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 10:10 pm
fredjones wrote:

I just want to say this. Morality is just what is "right" and what is "wrong." Why can't people decide what is right or wrong?

That is what is known as anarchy, because everyone will define it to suit themselves.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 10:49 pm
mesquite wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:

Did you read the link to the whole piece, or just the part I quoted?

If you liked that one you might also like this one.

Little Bessie by Mark Twain[/u]
A perfect example of the straw man. Misrepresent the bible; then attack the misrepresentation. It's easy pickins. good payoff too. You get to set your own standards.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 10:55 pm
Neo,

I totally agree with that assessment. I admire Twain's writing style, but I do not agree with the content.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:23 pm
real life wrote:
fredjones wrote:

I just want to say this. Morality is just what is "right" and what is "wrong." Why can't people decide what is right or wrong?

That is what is known as anarchy, because everyone will define it to suit themselves.

I call BS.......and offer you my sincere condolences for the loss of your brain.

People in the United States have decided what's right or wrong just fine. The country defines right and wrong based on the good of society.

Religion is a group that defines right and wrong to suit its own needs.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:26 pm
Momma and Neo, please show me where Mark Twain misrepresented the Bible. I see no strawmen. I see statements very similar to what we see here on A2K by blind faith followers.

Yes Momma Angel, Mark had a wonderful style. He tried to get people to think! While we are honoring him, how about another short essay. Oh, and by the way, I notice he does use capitalized personal pronouns where appropriate. Use caution though, and be sure to be on the lookout for men of straw.

Mark Twain wrote:
Thoughts of God
How often we are moved to admit the intelligence exhibited in both the designing and the execution of some of His works. Take the fly, for instance. The planning of the fly was an application of pure intelligence, morals not being concerned. Not one of us could have planned the fly, not one of us could have constructed him; and no one would have considered it wise to try, except under an assumed name. It is believed by some that the fly was introduced to meet a long-felt want. In the course of ages, for some reason or other, there have been millions of these persons, but out of this vast multitude there has not been one who has been willing to explain what the want was. At least satisfactorily. A few have explained that there was need of a creature to remove disease-breeding garbage; but these being then asked to explain what long-felt want the disease-breeding garbage was introduced to supply, they have not been willing to undertake the contract.

There is much inconsistency concerning the fly. In all the ages he has not had a friend, there has never been a person in the earth who could have been persuaded to intervene between him and extermination; yet billions of persons have excused the Hand that made him -- and this without a blush. Would they have excused a Man in the same circumstances, a man positively known to have invented the fly? On the contrary. For the credit of the race let us believe it would have been all day with that man. Would persons consider it just to reprobate in a child, with its undeveloped morals, a scandal which they would overlook in the Pope?

When we reflect that the fly was as not invented for pastime, but in the way of business; that he was not flung off in a heedless moment and with no object in view but to pass the time, but was the fruit of long and pains-taking labor and calculation, and with a definite and far-reaching, purpose in view; that his character and conduct were planned out with cold deliberation, that his career was foreseen and fore-ordered, and that there was no want which he could supply, we are hopelessly puzzled, we cannot understand the moral lapse that was able to render possible the conceiving and the consummation of this squalid and malevolent creature.

Let us try to think the unthinkable: let us try to imagine a Man of a sort willing to invent the fly; that is to say, a man destitute of feeling; a man willing to wantonly torture and harass and persecute myriads of creatures who had never done him any harm and could not if they wanted to, and -- the majority of them -- poor dumb things not even aware of his existence. In a word, let us try to imagine a man with so singular and so lumbering a code of morals as this: that it is fair and right to send afflictions upon the just -- upon the unoffending as well as upon the offending, without discrimination.

If we can imagine such a man, that is the man that could invent the fly, and send him out on his mission and furnish him his orders: "Depart into the uttermost corners of the earth, and diligently do your appointed work. Persecute the sick child; settle upon its eyes, its face, its hands, and gnaw and pester and sting; worry and fret and madden the worn and tired mother who watches by the child, and who humbly prays for mercy and relief with the pathetic faith of the deceived and the unteachable. Settle upon the soldier's festering wounds in field and hospital and drive him frantic while he also prays, and betweentimes curses, with none to listen but you, Fly, who get all the petting and all the protection, without even praying for it. Harry and persecute the forlorn and forsaken wretch who is perishing of the plague, and in his terror and despair praying; bite, sting, feed upon his ulcers, dabble your feet in his rotten blood, gum them thick with plague-germs -- feet cunningly designed and perfected for this function ages ago in the beginning -- carry this freight to a hundred tables, among the just and the unjust. the high and the low, and walk over the food and gaum it with filth and death. Visit all; allow no man peace till he get it in the grave; visit and afflict the hard-worked and unoffending horse, mule, ox, ass, pester the patient cow, and all the kindly animals that labor without fair reward here and perish without hope of it hereafter; spare no creature, wild or tame; but wheresoever you find one, make his life a misery, treat him as the innocent deserve; and so please Me and increase My glory Who made the fly.

We hear much about His patience and forbearance and long-suffering; we hear nothing about our own, which much exceeds it. We hear much about His mercy and kindness and goodness -- in words -- the words of His Book and of His pulpit -- and the meek multitude is content with this evidence, such as it is, seeking no further; but whoso searcheth after a concreted sample of it will in time acquire fatigue. There being no instances of it. For what are gilded as mercies are not in any recorded case more than mere common justices, and due -- due without thanks or compliment. To rescue without personal risk a cripple from a burning house is not a mercy, it is a mere commonplace duty; anybody would do it that could. And not by proxy, either -- delegating the work but confiscating the credit for it. If men neglected "God's poor" and "God's stricken and helpless ones" as He does, what would become of them? The answer is to be found in those dark lands where man follows His example and turns his indifferent back upon them: they get no help at all; they cry, and plead and pray in vain, they linger and suffer, and miserably die. If you will look at the matter rationally and without prejudice, the proper place to hunt for the facts of His mercy, is not where man does the mercies and He collects the praise, but in those regions where He has the field to Himself.

It is plain that there is one moral law for heaven and another for the earth. The pulpit assures us that wherever we see suffering and sorrow which we can relieve and do not do it, we sin, heavily. There was never yet a case of suffering or sorrow which God could not relieve. Does He sin, then? If He is the Source of Morals He does -- certainly nothing can be plainer than that, you will admit. Surely the Source of law cannot violate law and stand unsmirched; surely the judge upon the bench cannot forbid crime and then revel in it himself unreproached. Nevertheless we have this curious spectacle: daily the trained parrot in the pulpit gravely delivers himself of these ironies, which he has acquired at second-hand and adopted without examination, to a trained congregation which accepts them without examination, and neither the speaker nor the hearer laughs at himself. It does seem as if we ought to be humble when we are at a bench-show, and not put on airs of intellectual superiority there.

(early 1900s)

Source
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:29 pm
maporche Wrote:

Quote:
People in the United States have decided what's right or wrong just fine. The country defines right and wrong based on the good of society.

Please, please do not tell me you actually believe this. People deciding what is right or wrong is what got us where we are today.

People change right to wrong to accommodate their own wants. What is right in the Bible has never changed.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:33 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
maporche Wrote:

Quote:

Please, please do not tell me you actually believe this. People deciding what is right or wrong is what got us where we are today.

And where exactly is that. America is arguably one of the best countries in the world.

Quote:

People change right to wrong to accommodate their own wants. What is right in the Bible has never changed.

The bible's inflexibility to changing times will be it's downfall (thankfully). Some of us are able to live in a world where rights and wrongs are able to change with the times. Slavery used to be "right", times changed and now it's "wrong" (unless you follow the bible, then it's still "right"). Even you god changed from OT "**** you humans" god to NT "Everything's going to be ok" god.

Religion keeps right and wrong from changing, not god.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:34 pm
Mesquite,

Though I enjoyed reading Mark Twain's Little Bessie, I do not agree with the "it's God causing all the ill will there."

God uses things in this world to teach and instruct us. He does not let bad things happen to us to punish us for something. God does not burn churches because someone or everyone in the church is doing something wrong.

The things that are wrong with today's society are the fault of today's society. Society has gotten so far off the mark. It seems no one is willing to take responsibility for what is going on in their lives.

We all make choices and those choices are what dictate how our lives flow. Blaming God is not and never will be the answer.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:35 pm
Mesquite,

Though I enjoyed reading Mark Twain's Little Bessie, I do not agree with the "it's God causing all the ill will there."

God uses things in this world to teach and instruct us. He does not let bad things happen to us to punish us for something. God does not burn churches because someone or everyone in the church is doing something wrong.

The things that are wrong with today's society are the fault of today's society. Society has gotten so far off the mark. It seems no one is willing to take responsibility for what is going on in their lives.

We all make choices and those choices are what dictate how our lives flow. Blaming God is not and never will be the answer.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:52 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

Praise be for that!

Mark Twain wrote:
There are no witches. The witch text remains; only the practice has changed. Hell fire is gone, but the text remains. Infant damnation is gone, but the text remains. More than two hundred death penalties are gone from the law books, but the texts that authorized them remain.

It is not well worthy of note that of all the multitude of texts through which man has driven his annihilating pen he has never once made the mistake of obliterating a good and useful one? It does certainly seem to suggest that if man continues in the direction of enlightenment, his religious practice may, in the end, attain some semblance of human decency.

Momma Angel wrote:

People also change wrong to right. Remember slavery?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:58 pm
Maporche Wrote:

Quote:
And where exactly is that. America is arguably one of the best countries in the world.

You will get no argument from me that our country truly is (as far as I am concerned) the best in the world. But, you have to admit that morality has declined steadily and continues to do so. How many serial killers, mass murderers, rampage killers, child molesters, etc., did we have in the 50's? In the 50's people believed in God, family, and doing what is right. There were fewer divorces, unwanted pregnancies, etc. We were a kinder gentler people back then. Now, you can't leave your doors unlocked at night. You have carjackers to fear. There are terrorists attacking and killing our citizens. And you think man has does just fine in deciding what's wrong and right? If you call this just fine, I'd hate to see what you would call not fine.

Quote:
The bible's inflexibility to changing times will be it's downfall (thankfully). Some of us are able to live in a world where rights and wrongs are able to change with the times. Slavery used to be "right", times changed and now it's "wrong" (unless you follow the bible, then it's still "right"). Even you god changed from OT "**** you humans" god to NT "Everything's going to be ok" god.

Religion keeps right and wrong from changing, not god.

Do you actually believe that God should change to accommodate man? Who made who here? God set forth laws for us to live by. He set those laws out in the Bible. Nowhere in the Bible does it say, "ok, if you don't like the law you can change it." Nowhere does it say, "Well, if the majority of you think something, should be different then that will override me."

And just where do we stop changing the laws to change with the times? Things that were wrong, such as slavery (which you cannot equate to slavery in the Bible.), in decades past was wrong because of the way people were treated because they had a different color skin. Slavery in the Bible was a lot more complex than you seem to think it was. My God did not change from the OT to the NT. Christ was our intercessory.

The basic rights and wrongs of the Bible have not, nor will they ever change. God does not change His laws, man changes them to accommodate what man whats to do and hides behind the "it's legal" argument. Being legal still does not make it right.

God has no duty to accommodate us. It is us who should be accommodating Him.
0 Replies