God is Irrelevant!

neologist

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:26 am
fredjones wrote:
neologist wrote:
What makes you think God would change his mind?

What makes you think that God wouldn't change his mind?

That is my whole point. Razz
That would necessitate a change in a fundamental assertion about God: His name in the bible, literally translated, means "He who causes to become". The purpose He set forth in Genesis will come to be, the rebellion of Satan notwithstanding. Exclamation
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 01:42 pm
Re: God is Irrelevant!
fredjones wrote:

A society's members determine the morality of a situation. Their judgement is the one that counts.

Did you just make this up?

Where did you get this from?

Okay, then I guess slavery is moral (society of US said so, and some Asian countries still say so).

Killing & eating humans is moral (some cannabilistic societies in and around New Guinea decided this).

Having witch hunts and trying them by drowning them is moral (New England societies decided this).

Many societies believed it was moral to sacrifice virgins to their gods by killing them.

Okay, if you believe the above is moral, go with it.

I disagree. I believe the above is immoral, even though the society's members determined it was moral.

Your definition of morality allows slavery, cannibalism, human sacrifice, and witch hunts (and believe me, I haven't even scratched the surface).

Respectfully: I see your morality as utter chaos and meaningless.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 01:52 pm
"Also, as Raheel said without God there is no morallity. "

Then how do you account for spontaneous "good" behaviour on behalf of animals...oh sorry of course Dolphins and Dogs believe in the same God you do.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 03:00 pm
Eorl wrote:
If I may fredjones,

Debra, I think his point is that you made that choice yourself, including your choice to believe...regardless of wether or not there is, in fact, a god.

Am I right fred?

Just thought you might be getting tired of saying it.. Smile

Exactly. Smile
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 03:02 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
I think that what we have is consensual relative morality, where everyone agrees to choose the same or a similar morality to others. If there were true relative morality on an individual basis, society would indeed collapse.

As social animals, we see a trend towards conformity. We want to conform. We want to be more like everyone else or the ideal image of a human being.

Perhaps the morales are set by the strong and the weak conform to them. That is perhaps what society is all about and what keeps society intact.

Very well put, and much more concise than I could have hoped for, Wolf.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 03:10 pm
fredjones wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
I think that what we have is consensual relative morality, where everyone agrees to choose the same or a similar morality to others. If there were true relative morality on an individual basis, society would indeed collapse.

As social animals, we see a trend towards conformity. We want to conform. We want to be more like everyone else or the ideal image of a human being.

Perhaps the morales are set by the strong and the weak conform to them. That is perhaps what society is all about and what keeps society intact.

ooo boy. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Boring.

Sounds like the robots again! Robotic society!

Conformity is morality? I don't buy it.

So if your society dictates slavery & human sacrifice & cannibalism, you just conform and say that is morality?

You can have that world. Not a world I want to live in.

Sounds like an insane 1984 Orwellian World.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 03:14 pm
00 Agent Kid wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:
My God made me that way . . . and I haven't fallen victim to the false and idiotic teachings of the Bible.

God is relevant; the bible is irrelevant.

Have a look at these two passages:
2 Timothy 3:16-17 wrote:
{16} All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, {17} so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

2 Peter 1:21 wrote:
{21} For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

The Bible is the inspired word of God. I still do not see how you think God is relevant and that the Bible is not. The Bible is an instruction manual of sorts for our lives. One cannot say that the Bible is fallible since it was written by man. Do you think that if a mistake were made that God would sit idly by and just let everyone learn something the wrong way? Of course not. If you are asked to write something by God, you are not going to mess up and get away with it.

God does sit idly by. If he didn't, we wouldn't be having this discussion. If he did actively participate in our lives, then I would be hard-pressed to continue this line of inquiry.

I do hope that a god would want us to succeed, and I think using reason is the best way to achieve this goal. Very few people follow the literal Bible already, because it would involve following some very immoral acts.

The literal Bible is fallible. It's pretty difficult to read it and not come to this conclusion. Of course, one can interpret the Bible anyway one wants, but wouldn't that be using reason, not god, to live one's life?
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 03:16 pm
extra medium wrote:
fredjones wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

ooo boy. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Boring.

Sounds like the robots again! Robotic society!

Conformity is morality? I don't buy it.

So if your society dictates slavery & human sacrifice & cannibalism, you just conform and say that is morality?

You can have that world. Not a world I want to live in.

Sounds like an insane 1984 Orwellian World.

Well, in your view, why does your opinion have anything to do with what is moral?

Why does your voice matter?

It doesn't. God decides that slavery is right, or that cannabalism is right.

Would you accept this morality, because it is from god?

I suspect not.

It is too easy to turn your arguments around.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 03:19 pm
neologist wrote:
fredjones wrote:
neologist wrote:
What makes you think God would change his mind?

What makes you think that God wouldn't change his mind?

That would necessitate a change in a fundamental assertion about God: His name in the bible, literally translated, means "He who causes to become". The purpose He set forth in Genesis will come to be, the rebellion of Satan notwithstanding. Exclamation

Are you saying that god doesn't have the power to change his mind? He is incapable of changing what he wants?

(Even Northwesterner beer-swillers can disagree sometimes... Wink)
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 03:29 pm
fredjones wrote:
Well, in your view, why does your opinion have anything to do with what is moral?

Thank you!

Because I say it does.

And you are the same! Pot...meet kettle.

You are saying you know what morality is and others don't. BS.

Thats just for your little world.

And you figure if you get the majority to agree with you, you are right.

You are defining Morality as a popularity contest.?
Whatever is pop is right?

Why does what a lynch-mob of slave owners have to do with what is moral?

Why does a society that decided it is good to be cannibal mean that it is moral?

Just because a society decided human sacrifice is moral, it is moral?

Why does a group of idjits have any more power to decide what is moral than an individual ?

Who are you or anyone to decide what my morals should be?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 03:41 pm
fredjones wrote:
In order to live a good life, we must be moral beings.

If we are moral, it is because we are rational, reasonable beings.

To be clear here: I have no argument with your "God is Irrelevant" claim.
That part I can go with.

The thing I am taking issue with, is it appears you know The Definition of Morality.

What is a moral being? You seem to say morality is defined by society.

Ok: so we have socieities that have said it is moral to have slavery, human sacrifice, and cannibalism.

So I guess one can be a moral being and have slaves, sacrifice humans, and be a cannibal?

See: It seems you are assuming whatever your definition of "morality" is, is the "right" one.

Who said you are moral? Maybe your morals are totally immoral?

Who can judge who is moral? Society? Doesn't make sense. A person who wanted to have slavery, human sacrifice, could just go join those societies and be moral. But he wouldn't be moral in Ohio.

Then when he got tired of that he could move somewhere else and be a cannibal and be moral.

I don't agree that morality can be decided by a popularity contest or by a certain society.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:01 pm
fredjones wrote:
I put this in another thread, but I soon realized that it should have its own... If you disagree, please explain (with care) why. Here goes:

-In order to live a good life, we must be moral beings. If there is a higher power, he will judge us based on our morality.

-Until death (if ever), we can have no measure of certainty regarding the contents and intents of god's mind.

-If we have no knowledge of god's mind, nothing we do can intentionally change our chances of going to heaven or hell.

-If our actions have no intentional bearing on our final destination, it would only be rational to act morally in response to proximal pressures, not eventual punishments.

-If morality, as used by people, is based on proximal issues, not eventual, morality as we know it is not dependent on god's wishes (which can change without warning).

-One's belief in god does not grant them special knowledge of god's mind, and therefore belief does not make a person more moral than a nonbeliever. If god changes his mind, no one has an advantage.

-This leads me to conclude that god's existence is reduced to a purely academic argument, having no direct effect on our lives. If we are moral, it is because we are rational, reasonable beings.

I expect you to rip this apart. If you do not, then I am right and you are wrong. Wink

Ok, perhaps this will clarify my stance.

I agree with all the above.

The only thing is, what you consider "moral" I consider "immoral." It is bad what you are doing and you will be put in jail, and most likely go to the bad place.

Don't worry, we decided what is moral for you. If you disagree, please don't say anything about it, you really are immoral you know, however moral you think you are.

And please note this has nothing to do with god. We, the popular people in power, have decided you are immoral.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:14 pm
extra medium wrote:
fredjones wrote:

Thank you!

Because I say it does.

And you are the same! Pot...meet kettle.

You are saying you know what morality is and others don't. BS.

Thats just for your little world.

Well, if you think about it, I am saying that others and I combine our opinions to determine morality. You are the one who is saying that morality is determined by your god. What happens if we don't agree with you? Oh yeah, we're wrong you're right, because god is on your side.

extra medium wrote:

And you figure if you get the majority to agree with you, you are right.

You are defining Morality as a popularity contest.?
Whatever is pop is right?

Why does what a lynch-mob of slave owners have to do with what is moral?

Why does a society that decided it is good to be cannibal mean that it is moral?

Just because a society decided human sacrifice is moral, it is moral?

Why does a group of idjits have any more power to decide what is moral than an individual ?

Who are you or anyone to decide what my morals should be?

I cannot decide what your morals should be, but I can judge you for not conforming to mine. If enough people agree with me, and not you, then your moral behavior will be stopped. If people agree with you, then it will continue. Why does this seem outrageous?

We decide what is good and bad collectively. Some religions do not eat pork, others do not eat cow. To eat these would be immoral. Do you agree with this? What basis do you have to either agree or disagree?

You fight for absolute morality, but the reality of the situation stares back at you. I readily grant that there is a True morality that we will be judged upon. In other words, whatever god judges us will judge us based on his definition of morality, and this morality will be the Right one. As soon as you find out what that True morality is, then let me know.

As it is, you currently have no input from god, and you will not until you die. Therefore you must utilize the faculties of your mind to determine the morality for everyone.

Do you think that the lynch-mob of slave owners thought they were being immoral?

Quote:
"[Slavery] was established by decree of Almighty God...it is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation...it has existed in all ages, has been found among the people of the highest civilization, and in nations of the highest proficiency in the arts." Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America.

Quote:
"There is not one verse in the Bible inhibiting slavery, but many regulating it. It is not then, we conclude, immoral." Rev. Alexander Campbell

Quote:
"The right of holding slaves is clearly established in the Holy Scriptures, both by precept and example." Rev. R. Furman, D.D., Baptist, of South Carolina

Does this sound like they thought they were being immoral? After all, they were following the Bible.

We know that they were wrong. How? I haven't heard from god lately.

I have heard of a popular swing towards granting equal rights to all. It has nothing to do with a change in the Bible, and everything to do with our fellow human beings. In this way the morality of our country has changed.

--

The discussion was much more tempered and non-confrontational before you chanced upon us here, em. Nevertheless I enjoy a good challenge, and a strong opposition. Maybe we can both hone our arguments with each other's help.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:15 pm
extra medium wrote:
fredjones wrote:
I put this in another thread, but I soon realized that it should have its own... If you disagree, please explain (with care) why. Here goes:

-In order to live a good life, we must be moral beings. If there is a higher power, he will judge us based on our morality.

-Until death (if ever), we can have no measure of certainty regarding the contents and intents of god's mind.

-If we have no knowledge of god's mind, nothing we do can intentionally change our chances of going to heaven or hell.

-If our actions have no intentional bearing on our final destination, it would only be rational to act morally in response to proximal pressures, not eventual punishments.

-If morality, as used by people, is based on proximal issues, not eventual, morality as we know it is not dependent on god's wishes (which can change without warning).

-One's belief in god does not grant them special knowledge of god's mind, and therefore belief does not make a person more moral than a nonbeliever. If god changes his mind, no one has an advantage.

-This leads me to conclude that god's existence is reduced to a purely academic argument, having no direct effect on our lives. If we are moral, it is because we are rational, reasonable beings.

I expect you to rip this apart. If you do not, then I am right and you are wrong. Wink

Ok, perhaps this will clarify my stance.

I agree with all the above.

The only thing is, what you consider "moral" I consider "immoral." It is bad what you are doing and you will be put in jail, and most likely go to the bad place.

Don't worry, we decided what is moral for you. If you disagree, please don't say anything about it, you really are immoral you know, however moral you think you are.

And please note this has nothing to do with god. We, the popular people in power, have decided you are immoral.

I do not like it, but this is how the world works. I'm glad we agree. Wink
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:26 pm
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:29 pm
fredjones wrote:

Well, if you think about it, I am saying that others and I combine our opinions to determine morality. You are the one who is saying that morality is determined by your god. What happens if we don't agree with you? Oh yeah, we're wrong you're right, because god is on your side.

Dude,

Hello!

I have never mentioned God!

You are the one that keeps yapping about God!

You are so mad at God or something you can't see that I am not even talking about God.

How many ways must I put it? Forget God for a moment. I am not talking about God. No Bible. No Quran. Okay.

I am saying you have no basis to decide morality.

You say the choice is either God or your bizarre popularity notion of morality.

I say there is a third choice and fourth and fifth and more choice, which includes neither of the above.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:31 pm
fredjones wrote:

The discussion was much more tempered and non-confrontational before you chanced upon us here, em.

Okay, sorry.

Unbelievable. You start a thread with "God is Irrelevant" and "I'm right" and you expect no confrontation? And I am not even from the religious groups!

I am just debating the philosophy end of morality with you...seems you dont like that...you'd rather everyone just assume your idea of morality is correct. Hey, you're just like the Bible Thumpers! :wink:

I'll leave you to the folks that pretty much agree with you and that you can squash easily.
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 05:17 pm
Hey extra medium,

I see your point and I agree with you.

fredjones is just making a new God.

His God is society. They worship society.

Hmmm...looks like he is playing God too. I guess his God is Society and himself.

Oh well, I don't believe in any God anyway, so I don't have to worry about it.

Anyway, I do get your point, even if he doesn't: ie:

Who died and made him the morality God? Weird. Like a cult.

Anyway hang in there EM, I for one enjoy your posts! Wink
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 05:45 pm
extra medium wrote:
fredjones wrote:

Dude,

Hello!

I have never mentioned God!

You are the one that keeps yapping about God!

You are so mad at God or something you can't see that I am not even talking about God.

Well, I am taking a position. When you take a position for debate, sometimes it may seem extreme. I say that an individual has the right to decide their own morality, as does a population. The necessary mechanism for a population to decide what is right and wrong is that of majority rule.

If you disagree, let us hear your hypothesis.

extra medium wrote:

How many ways must I put it? Forget God for a moment. I am not talking about God. No Bible. No Quran. Okay.

I am saying you have no basis to decide morality.

I cannot decide anyone's morality but my own. However, since I live in a society I must concede some positions in order to remain here.

extra medium wrote:

You say the choice is either God or your bizarre popularity notion of morality.

Yes, those are the positions outlined thus far.

extra medium wrote:
I say there is a third choice and fourth and fifth and more choice, which includes neither of the above.

Now I am curious. What is your position? Right now your entire argument is that I am wrong. I am interested in what your hypothesis is.

Of course I would assume that you are speaking from one of the positions we have already outlined. How can you expect me to read your mind and know what it is you are thinking?

You attacked my position, so I attacked the position that you (I assumed) were defending. It is not my fault that you have failed to outline a third, fourth, fifth possibility. But now, like I said, I am curious...

What is your hypothesis?
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 05:51 pm
tcis wrote:
Hey extra medium,

I see your point and I agree with you.

fredjones is just making a new God.

His God is society. They worship society.

Hmmm...looks like he is playing God too. I guess his God is Society and himself.

Oh well, I don't believe in any God anyway, so I don't have to worry about it.

Anyway, I do get your point, even if he doesn't: ie:

Who died and made him the morality God? Weird. Like a cult.

Anyway hang in there EM, I for one enjoy your posts! Wink

(Sigh) Rolling Eyes

Yes, I am the morality god... So glad you could add to the discussion. Wink
0 Replies