God is Irrelevant!

neologist

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 05:53 pm
Re: Eorl
fredjones wrote:

Societies do not live long, and for this reason you knowingly demand impossible evidence. Remember that the concepts in the bible used to be spoken word. It wasn't until recently that it was written and called the "bible." Before that it was just an amalgamation of morals. To suggest that the bible predates morality seems silly to me, due to historical constraints.
Moses started his writing around 1520 BC. He would have been about 80 years old, so he was covering the period dating back to about 1600 BC. So the bible (or parts of it) has been around for 3500 years or more. How old is written history? 5000 years? 5500?
The Bible is silent about how Moses knew what to write. Could there have been writings from before the flood? There are writings that predate Moses. Josephus records many events dating to the plains of Shinar, about as far back as written history.
And, it is certainly true that the bible does not predate morality. Many events recorded in the book of Genesis (which took place before bible writing) demonstrate the law to have been written on people's hearts.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 06:03 pm
As to the first post of [God is Irrelevant!]:
There is no inconsistency to think that there is the value of "good" (or "moral" if you prefer) which only God knows but that you cannot know what "good" is in a given way.
It must be up to you to find what is "good" through experiences on the belief on God..
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 06:07 pm
fredjones wrote:
Children don't have sex. Smile

fred; I see by your profile you are a student. Let me guess that you don't have kids. Our society is to the point that now very young children have sexual experiences. Whether you think it is prudent to protect them from such is up to you, of course. You should however be aware.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:29 pm
The bible is a dangerous and stupid foundation for morals.

How many people died, indeed how many were never even born as a result of all the witch burnings?

Succesful human societies have morals that benefit those societies.

Societies that dont....don't survive. Surely that is obvious.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:18 pm
neologist wrote:
fredjones wrote:
Children don't have sex. Smile

fred; I see by your profile you are a student. Let me guess that you don't have kids. Our society is to the point that now very young children have sexual experiences. Whether you think it is prudent to protect them from such is up to you, of course. You should however be aware.

When I refer to 'children' I am talking about those too young to be physically able to reproduce. From there we reach preteens and teens. They are a different story. At any rate, I was being facetious.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:40 pm
Sorry, fred. I saw the smiley. As a parent and now a grand parent, I can assure you that toddlers, if left to themselves. . . Well, the earth does have larger problems.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:03 pm
Let me say one thing that I'm not sure is clear.

I don't object to using the Bible to reinforce morality. It is a tool which has been used for many years to do just that, and I think it functions adequately in this regard, with one caveat:

It is never appropriate to use the Bible as evidence in moral debates. The Bible came from the set of moral tools we already possessed as humans, not the other way around. We are capable of moral behavior without the Bible or religion; people were moral before the Bible, and there are many people today who are moral without it. Besides, people that don't believe in the Bible's validity will think you are being ridiculous.

The point is that Reason should trump the Bible. We should function based on principles, not some book written thousands of years ago. If thou shalt not kill, it is because we should value life, not because we should do whatever the Bible says. Most of the people who received the most benefit from the Bible were in the past, and relatively uneducated. In this day and age, we are taught to think for ourselves. We have these big brains, why not use them?

I'm using the Bible as an example, because I am most familiar with it. The argument, however, extends to all religions. Whether or not we are going to our specific heavens or hells is irrelevant. We should be moral people regardless of whether there is a god or not.

If god tells you to kill others, then god is being immoral. How can this be? God decides what is moral. More likely, we decide what is moral. We decide when it is justifiable to kill others, not god. He may judge us eventually, but by then it will be too late.

What evidence do I have that we are moral because of each other, not god?

One, no one that I know of can talk to god. If he has changed his mind in 3000 years, then we are SOL. By the same token, if we have chosen the wrong religion, we are SOL.

Two, the language of many versions of the Bible, and of many religious texts is so archaic that it can be interpreted any way we like. Anything can be justified using the Bible, depending on what verse you choose. We already do use reason to determine what the Bible is REALLY saying, why not cut out the middleman. Realize that I am exaggerating for effect.

Three, the multitude of religions and the insistence by each that they are the sole purveyors of truth. If only one of us is right, then the rest must be wrong. How can we be sure that god's message is not lost?

There are more, but I'll leave you to think about these. As always, if I am wrong I want to hear about it!

Smile
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:19 pm
fredjones wrote:

The point is that Reason should trump the Bible.

Smile

Aye, there's the rub. You assume that the bible is contrary to reason. I say it is not. How could two people from the Pacific Northwest (of all places, the center of universal enlightenment) and beer drinkers at that, come to such mutually exclusive conclusions?. I'm going to stick my neck out and say the conclusions are only exclusive because our premises are not equal. Now I'm going to make my broken record sound:

The main reason people reject the bible is not the fault of either God or of the bible. Rather it is the fault of power hungry clergy who have for centuries used their position to dominate mankind for their own ends.
0 Replies

MiTHoS

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 08:46 am
Have you ever read 'The Lord of the Flies"? That is a prime example of what happens when there are no morals. There is nothing to base rules on or anything but by what the kids make up. Everyone did what they thought was right, and look how it turned out. I don't mean to ruin the book for you if you haven't read it, but the book can prove a good point. These kids had no morals and eventually were trying to kill each other off. One 'tribe' resorted to burning down the entire island to get one person. Maybe I'm getting a little off the point, but my point is without moral things definitely go wrong. And I bet yah, If one of them had a religious background or had a bible or whatnot that book(lord of the flies) could have ended up much differently.

This book proves that when a bunch of people do whatever they think is right and set up their own morals, it doesn't work out. We NEED that higher being to govern us, who knows what's right and wrong.
0 Replies

NewSoul

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 09:18 am
Myth I agree with on that point
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 10:57 am
Quote:
The bible is a dangerous and stupid foundation for morals.

What is better, the ten commandments, or billions of people's different opinions?
0 Replies

nategarvey

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:31 pm
First post... whohoo! (be nice) Embarrassed

fredjones wrote:
The point is that Reason should trump the Bible. We should function based on principles, not some book written thousands of years ago. If thou shalt not kill, it is because we should value life, not because we should do whatever the Bible says. Most of the people who received the most benefit from the Bible were in the past, and relatively uneducated. In this day and age, we are taught to think for ourselves. We have these big brains, why not use them?

I'm using the Bible as an example, because I am most familiar with it. The argument, however, extends to all religions. Whether or not we are going to our specific heavens or hells is irrelevant. We should be moral people regardless of whether there is a god or not.

How do we know what is moral if everyone is making this attempt on their own? There needs to be some sort of moral standard, because morals cease to be morals when they are defined by every individual. Our ethics define what we believe is true (morally good) or false (morally bad); therefore, if if ethics is what defines truth, it cannot be found in a multitude of sources (such as ourselves).

And building off of this argument, there has to be some being besides us humans, that is morally good enough to define what is right and wrong. It certainly cannot be one of us because...

1) we naturally act in our own self-interest, which is not always morally good

2) everyone is different--there are too many of us to say that we can decide what is morally good for ourselves, because that takes away the exclusiveness of truth

So my point is (in the red), that morals have to be found in someone who is completely separate and unique from the human race, and that being has to be both morally good and superior to all. We know that God is both morally good superior (and i know you will respond against this statement) and therefore we should base our morals upon his standards.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:47 pm
nategarvey wrote:

How do we know what is moral if everyone is making this attempt on their own? There needs to be some sort of moral standard, because morals cease to be morals when they are defined by every individual. Our ethics define what we believe is true (morally good) or false (morally bad); therefore, if if ethics is what defines truth, it cannot be found in a multitude of sources (such as ourselves).

And building off of this argument, there has to be some being besides us humans, that is morally good enough to define what is right and wrong. It certainly cannot be one of us because...

2) everyone is different--there are too many of us to say that we can decide what is morally good for ourselves, because that takes away the exclusiveness of truth

So my point is (in the red), that morals have to be found in someone who is completely separate and unique from the human race, and that being has to be morally good. We know that God is morally good (and i know you will respond against this statement) and therefore we should base our morals upon his standards.

Welcome to the forum, nate. I'm with you as far as it goes. Rhetorical question: How is it that organized religions in general and nominal christianity in particular have perpetrated so much misery on the human race? Where is their moral goodness?
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:49 pm
neologist wrote:
fredjones wrote:

The point is that Reason should trump the Bible.

Smile

Aye, there's the rub. You assume that the bible is contrary to reason. I say it is not. How could two people from the Pacific Northwest (of all places, the center of universal enlightenment) and beer drinkers at that, come to such mutually exclusive conclusions?. I'm going to stick my neck out and say the conclusions are only exclusive because our premises are not equal. Now I'm going to make my broken record sound:

The main reason people reject the bible is not the fault of either God or of the bible. Rather it is the fault of power hungry clergy who have for centuries used their position to dominate mankind for their own ends.

When I say that reason should trump the Bible, I am in no way saying that everything in the Bible is wrong, or unreasonable. In fact, like previous posters, I feel that it is generally a good tool for establishing and maintaining a society. We can use the Bible, but should not base our life on it. The Bible can be wrong, and in fact in some cases it can be proven wrong. Reason, when used correctly, cannot be wrong.

What I am saying is that morality cannot be based on any religion. It must be based on rationality and reason.

I agree that the clergy were guilty of subjugating others, as were nearly all people that have been placed in power. That old adage 'absolute power corrupts absolutely' never seems to fail. Perhaps you are right, that the clergy are driving people away from god. It is an interesting hypothesis...

Beer-swilling Pacific Northwesterners are, I agree, the best of the lot. Very Happy And it turns out we don't disagree as much as you think.

Speaking of swilling, Cinco de Mayo hit me pretty hard last night.... :wink:
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:59 pm
fredjones wrote:
The Bible can be wrong, and in fact in some cases it can be proven wrong. Reason, when used correctly, cannot be wrong.

I contend the bible will always be found true when examined carefully. We need to discuss that further when our brains come backhttp://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/drunk.gif
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 01:04 pm
M!THº§ wrote:
Have you ever read 'The Lord of the Flies"? That is a prime example of what happens when there are no morals. There is nothing to base rules on or anything but by what the kids make up. Everyone did what they thought was right, and look how it turned out. I don't mean to ruin the book for you if you haven't read it, but the book can prove a good point. These kids had no morals and eventually were trying to kill each other off. One 'tribe' resorted to burning down the entire island to get one person. Maybe I'm getting a little off the point, but my point is without moral things definitely go wrong. And I bet yah, If one of them had a religious background or had a bible or whatnot that book(lord of the flies) could have ended up much differently.

This book proves that when a bunch of people do whatever they think is right and set up their own morals, it doesn't work out. We NEED that higher being to govern us, who knows what's right and wrong.

First, they were children.
Second, it was a fictional story.
Third, I only point to the world now. Do we have morals? Where did they come from?

If you say, "from God," then here more questions come up.
Why is individual morality so varied? Why are there so many views on what god is?

If god was sent down from heaven to give us the gift of morality, wouldn't you expect all morals to be the same? If at some point we had proof that god existed, wouldn't you think that everyone would be, say, Christian? Are you saying that anyone who isn't (insert your religion) is stupid? What do you think those other religions would say about you? Wink

Everything we see now points to the fact that morality is evolutionarily beneficial (explaining our proclivity for it). (Here is my broken record, neologist)...

**People are moral for proximal, not ultimate, reasons. **

I've heard only affirmation on this statement. God is irrelevant! Very Happy
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 01:07 pm
neologist wrote:
fredjones wrote:
The Bible can be wrong, and in fact in some cases it can be proven wrong. Reason, when used correctly, cannot be wrong.

I contend the bible will always be found true when examined carefully. We need to discuss that further when our brains come backhttp://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/drunk.gif

Ha! Not having a brain never stopped me! I think my argumentative skills must have come from another body part (maybe my as$). Laughing
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 01:24 pm
Jesus gave an identifying mark of the true religion in John 13:35: "By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves."
The history of the world is full of Catholics killing Catholics, Lutherans killing Lutherans, etc. All this in the misguided belief they are serving God by going to war. How do you think these folks measure up?
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 01:43 pm
nategarvey wrote:

If you really wanted me to be nice, you wouldn't have posted. Smile Our greatest critics are often our greatest allies in the search for understanding.

nategarvey wrote:

How do we know what is moral if everyone is making this attempt on their own? There needs to be some sort of moral standard, because morals cease to be morals when they are defined by every individual.

I think that morality is (unfortunately) determined by the popular vote. An individual has the power to believe whatever morals he wants, but he will be judged here on earth in terms of the morality of the majority. There is no danger of extreme relativism in our world, even if religion suddenly ceased to exist. If you are concerned with pure relativism, you should be. It is an untenable position, which is why I don't support it.
nategarvey wrote:

Our ethics define what we believe is true (morally good) or false (morally bad); therefore, if if ethics is what defines truth, it cannot be found in a multitude of sources (such as ourselves).

Ethics is not the study of Truth. I think you are concerned with the epistemological sciences.

nategarvey wrote:

Acting in our own self-interest is always morally good. Blasphemy! Wink

If you steal, you are hurting yourself. You gain a little money, but you lose a lot more. You lose social position if you are caught, but even if you are not caught, you still lose.

If you believe that stealing is morally right, then you believe that people have the right to steal from you. If everyone could steal from each other, there would be no reason to work harder than the next guy. Communism was the government mandated stealing of goods. It didn't work because it broke down the system of rewards for labor that we use as humans.

It would be much easier to just say, "Stealing is wrong because thou shalt not steal." But isn't this more fun?
nategarvey wrote:

2) everyone is different--there are too many of us to say that we can decide what is morally good for ourselves, because that takes away the exclusiveness of truth[/color]

I am not particularly interested in Truth. I am only interested in how to treat other human beings with the respect and benevolence that they deserve. Only when we die will we find out the Truth, if ever. Until then we must use our brains.

nategarvey wrote:

So my point is (in the red), that morals have to be found in someone who is completely separate and unique from the human race, and that being has to be both morally good and superior to all. We know that God is both morally good superior (and i know you will respond against this statement) and therefore we should base our morals upon his standards.

We cannot know god's intents. We cannot know if anything we read is in fact the word of god. We can believe, yeah, but it won't do us any good. The only way we will know for sure is when we die. By that time it will be too late! God could have changed his mind, and not told us about it.

I will grant you the point that god is morally superior to us. You can have it. Now, how does it change my life? Since going to heaven is apparently the only reason to be moral, does the existence of such a god help me out at all? What if I believe in the wrong god?

Reason is a gift that always works. The bible is in some ways a curse, because it allowed people to stop thinking for themselves.

Of course, god does favor the sheep, does he not? Laughing
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 01:44 pm
I have to work on making shorter posts. (whew!) Cool
0 Replies