How to destroy America

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:20 pm
For the record, I'd like to state that Mr. Brown is selling something. I'd really like to know where on this thread I made any comment that could truly be called racist or bigoted, unless you are wearing your politically correct tin foil hat.

The only one that might come close would be the simple observation that the immigrants are reproducing as fast as possible. Might that be it?

Maybe you want to just sit up in your ivory tower in Boston and tell us what we are really seeing here in California. Perhaps you're overdue for a visit?

I believe the real reason I have been targeted and labeled here (unfairly), is because of brown's willing and devoted association with illegal aliens. I suspect sir, you have a stake in it.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:31 pm
fredjones wrote:
Everyone in the US is an immigrant from somewhere.

not me. i was born in cinncinatti...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:32 pm
I'm hoping you didn't attend school there, DToM. You spelled it wrong...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:35 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I'm hoping you didn't attend school there, DToM. You spelled it wrong...

i didn't live there, only born there. :wink:
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:35 pm
cjhsa

By his own admission some of Browns nearest and dearest friends are illegal aliens. He may lose them when the legislation regarding drivers license requirements is passed and signed into law. It should put salt on their tails.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:37 pm
In his defense, I'd be willing to bet that over 50% of high school graduates from there can't spell it right either.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:39 pm
okay, okay... but i'm positive it is in ohyoh. humphhh!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:44 pm
If one is interested in how to destroy America they only need to ask Bush. He seems to have the formula well in hand
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:46 pm
The best way to destroy this country is...
Destroy everyplace where paperwork is kept.

The country would come to a stop that way.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 06:12 pm
cjhsa wrote:

The only one that might come close would be the simple observation that the immigrants are reproducing as fast as possible. Might that be it?

What exactly are you claiming here? Who cares how fast the immigrants are reproducing? What effect does that have on you?

cjhsa wrote:

I believe the real reason I have been targeted and labeled here (unfairly), is because of brown's willing and devoted association with illegal aliens. I suspect sir, you have a stake in it.

Dangit, you found out. There is a vast conspiracy that everyone but you is a part of. We're just trying to keep you quiet so that no one else finds out. Rolling Eyes

Do not make personal accusations without proof.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 06:14 pm
See what I mean about cjh providing backup for his statements? The original premise, posted, I believe, by Mysteryman (I might be wrong on that, don't feel like going all the way back to check it) was that peole from foreign cultures are, somehow, not brought up on charges if the crime they commit would not have been a criminal act back home in their own cultures. I pointed out that that is nonsense, that everybody is subject to the same laws and that everybody -- thanks to the 14th Amendment -- has equal protection under the laws. cj called me on that and offered to find links to disprove it. What he posts instead is an op-rant about how illegal immigrants are not being vigorously prosecuted. That's totally a different subject. Whether a law is rigorously enforced or not is an entirely different question. The law is there. It is there for everyone. A Muslim may enter this country with three wives because it was legal for him for him to have three wives in his own country. While in America, he certainly may not (legally) marry a fourth wife because that would be against the bigamy laws of this country. But it's exactly the kind of response I expected from the likes of cj.

Why is everyone picking on the Spanish-speakers among us? They seem to be coming in for more criticism on this thread than any other group. I'd like to remind you that in California, Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Texas they were there before any Anglophones got to that part of the country. Those states were originally part of New Spain, then of Mexico. English speakers are latecomers. Now, if you want to complain about Spanish-speaking Puerto Ricans on the East Coast, I'd like to remind you that we wrested that island -- along with Cuba and the Philippines -- from Spain in 1898. It seems to me that we have no right to expect our conquered peoples to give up their native languages. Even the Communists of the old USSR didn't do that. Russian might have been established as the common tongue in the so-called "Republics", but people who spoke Estonian or Armenian were not forced to give it up. We owe the Hispanics in this country, big time.

Let me add a personal note here. Some of you know, most probably don't, that English a second language for me. I not only speak it without an accent, I teach it and I work, from time to time, as a contract interpreter for the US State Department. I have interpreted for the Prime Minister of Latvia at the White House and the only reason I'm not with President Bush right this minute (he's in Riga right now) is because the US Embassy in Riga has its own staff interpreter. The reason for this is that, although I was educated here from age 11 on, we never spoke anything but Latvian at home. Good thing, huh? My mother was fluent in four languages, including English. Me, I only speak two fluently. Can get by with some conversational German, French and Spanish.

What's my point? It's that worries about multi-culturalism and bilingualism are expressions of paranoia. Bilingual classes in our schools are not meant to keep foreign students from learning English. Quite the contrary, they are intended to help the foreign-born student transition more comfortably into English without losing any of the core knowledge being taught to other students in English. How well that works, of course, could be a subject for another thread.

Postscript: most bigots I have met do not recognize or realize that they are bigoted. They truly believe that they are open-minded and that their particular biases and prejudices are the result of carefully reasoned thought, not a blind spot in their thinking and their emotions. More's the pity.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 06:45 pm
cjhsa wrote:
So, based on your politically correct point of view, any disdain for illegal aliens is bigoted and racist. Oh boy. There seem to be an awful lot of folks here wearing rose colored glasses.

Are you saying that every Latina over the age of 12 in California is an illegal alien?
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 06:46 pm
Excellent post, Merry.

I might point out that there were hundreds of tribes of native Americans in the west before the Spanish-speaking peoples moved in. Human history is full of conquests and assimilations. I know that wasn't your point, but I just thought I would mention it.

I agree, by the way, that it is a good thing for people to be multilingual. Governments should not be, though. It creates double the paperwork, if nothing else.

I think being against ALL immigration is not a tenable position, because it denies the reality of our economy and our roots as a country. I can however, make an argument for limiting and hopefully eliminating illegal immigration, while preserving the great history of legal immigration in the US.

Does anyone take issue with this statement? I just wonder if anyone is for the current system of illegal immigration.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 06:51 pm
fredjones wrote:
I just wonder if anyone is for the current system of illegal immigration.

All the thousands of employers here in the US who exploit the labor of illegal immigrants.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:50 pm
fredjones wrote:
Excellent post, Merry.

I couldn't agree more, with either of you.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 08:06 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
I'd like to remind you that in California, Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Texas they were there before any Anglophones got to that part of the country. Those states were originally part of New Spain, then of Mexico. English speakers are latecomers.

And the thing that really pisses these "people who are intolerantly devoted to their own prejudices" off is that Latinos are likely to wrest control without a shot being fired. How un-American can ya get!
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 08:19 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Postscript: most bigots I have met do not recognize or realize that they are bigoted.

especially when it is native born americans that they are prejudiced against.

it's amazing to me that with all of the talk of diversity and pride of culture, that any recognition of american culture is sneered at. certainly, america was founded by immigrants. yeah? so what ?

every country was founded by immigrants.

yet while every other country in the world is not only recognized to have a unique national identity, and we are told by political correctness that we damn well better rejoice in their cultural heritage, native born americans are looked down upon for being "cultureless yankees".

i don't expect anyone who comes to our country to forget and divest every single thing about their nation of origin. yet some expect me to do just that. in my own country. that, is complete nonsense.

more immigrants learning to speak english would be nice. i don't mind speaking a little spanish, i kind of enjoy it. but, i feel no need to also speak the other hundred or so languages and dialects floating around l.a.

if i did have to learn other languages to communicate with people, i'd need to be fluent in over a dozen tongues just to talk with my neighbors as i walk around our cul de sac (which by the way is a french word Laughing ).
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 08:36 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
if i did have to learn other languages to communicate with people, i'd need to be fluent in over a dozen tongues just to talk with my neighbors as i walk around our cul de sac (which by the way is a french word Laughing ).

Yes, but think how impressed they'd be Smile
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 08:50 pm
Merry, it would seem to me that illegal aliens are getting unequal treatment under the law. They have an advantage. Let's say I join a latino gang (if they'd actually let me), and I'm out banging with them. The cops catch us. Who are they going to bust? Me. The illegals will walk, because the cops don't want to bother with them.

Unequal treatment is 100% the same as unequal protection.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 09:50 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Merry, it would seem to me that illegal aliens are getting unequal treatment under the law. They have an advantage. Let's say I join a latino gang (if they'd actually let me), and I'm out banging with them. The cops catch us. Who are they going to bust? Me. The illegals will walk, because the cops don't want to bother with them.

Unequal treatment is 100% the same as unequal protection.

An opinion without a shred of evidence to back it up. Simply making claim doesn't make it so.

If I was out with a bunch of illegal aliens and they were gang banging. Who are they going to bust? The illegal aliens because the cops don't want to bother with me. <-- There, I just proved you 100% wrong.
0 Replies