How to destroy America

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:06 pm
As far as illegal aliens being treated differently by the law, they most definitely are, as they are lawbreakers by default, yet, local and state police departments are loathe to pick them up. Apparently they are too busy letting sexual predators out of their jails to bother with illegals.

Let Police Arrest All Lawbreakers (ILLEGAL Aliens)
Los Angeles Daily News | 5/1/05 | Tom Sirmons

Posted on 05/01/2005 3:20:09 PM PDT by Mark

By Tom Sirmons Guest Columnist

Sunday, May 01, 2005 - Knowing that I will be called a racist and worse, and that I will generate scads of hate mail for the poor editors at the Daily News to sort through, I offer this simple observation: People who enter this country illegally are breaking the law.

There, I said it. I know it's a radical idea, but doesn't it seem as though law enforcement officers ought to be arresting people who break the law?

Yet plans being floated in Southern California to that very effect are being greeted with gushes of vitriol from Latino "community leaders."

We're not talking about some roundup of illegal immigrants. For example, in last Monday's Daily News, Amin David, president of Los Amigos of Orange County, offered this assessment of a proposal by Orange County Sheriff Mike Carona to seek out and arrest illegal immigrants who have been convicted of crimes: "If he embarks on this," David declared, "it will spread to other local agencies and then we'll have chaos."

As opposed, I guess, to the orderly system of undocumented aliens flooding schools and hospital emergency rooms that currently exists. Not to mention the estimated 30 percent of Los Angeles County jail inmates who are in this country illegally.

No, we wouldn't want to do anything to upset such a smooth operation.

As it is, police in Los Angeles and elsewhere in Southern California are forbidden even to inquire as to the immigration status of suspects or complainants. The Los Angeles Police Department is considering a plan that would allow officers to notify federal immigration authorities if they find an illegal immigrant who has previously been deported. In other words, the "undocumented" person in question has entered the country covertly once, been convicted of a crime and deported, and is back again.

And it's extreme to allow police to act on such knowledge?

Evidently so, at least according to some "community leaders."

Nativo Lopez, president of the Mexican-American Political Association - one of scores of such activist groups in the Southland - says if L.A. police proceed with the plan, as minutely limited in scope as it is, his group and others will encourage Latinos not to cooperate with officers except in the most extreme cases.

There is a word for such strong-arm tactics: extortion.

There is also a legal term for refusing to cooperate with police conducting an investigation: obstruction of justice.

But that shouldn't worry Lopez. Justice appears to be the furthest thing from his mind.

These are the same groups that shrilly oppose the mandatory teaching of English to foreign- language-speaking students, even though failure to speak good English is a life sentence to menial labor or other low-paying jobs.

Never mind, though. It's "racist" and a violation of one's culture to require that kids be at least conversant in English before they graduate from high school.

There's a term for this, too: killing with kindness.

Illegal immigrants cost Californians millions in tax dollars that can never be reclaimed. Hospitals are closing their emergency rooms because they have become the equivalent of a doctor's office to undocumented residents who know they can't be turned away. Schools and prisons are bursting at the seams, and Los Angeles County jails have been forced to relieve overcrowding by releasing more than 200,000 inmates early just in the past three years.

The time has come to act. If city, county, state and federal officials will do nothing to control our porous border with Mexico, then citizens groups such as the Minuteman Project, which simply keep watch on the border, will. When measures as eminently reasonable as arresting illegal immigrants who have already been deported once are opposed by certain activists, it's time to turn a deaf ear to them.

And if that means raking your own yard instead of paying an illegal immigrant under the table to come once a week on the cheap with a leaf-blower, then so be it.

Tom Sirmons is a journalist and writer in Pasadena. Contact him through his Web site, www.tomsirmons.com.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:07 pm
fredjones wrote:
He is obviously misguided, but it irks me when reasonable people throw around a very hateful word.

I am not misguided, and it doesn't bother me a bit.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:08 pm
cjhsa wrote:
The terms "bigot" and "racist" don't mean what they used to mean. They have become part of the lefts lingo of political correctness. Now I can be labeled as such simply for not "celebrating diversity", or for not openly expressing love for everyone, no matter how screwed up they are.

How, may I ask, is that extreme?

I am not defending your positions, only your right to say them. (how cliche).
God why do I do this to myself... Must be a form of masochism...

Why shouldn't we express love for everyone?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:11 pm
Because I don't have to love everyone if I don't want to. Especially those who steal or attempt to destroy what they otherwise cannot have.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:13 pm
Immigrants are good. Everyone in the US is an immigrant from somewhere. Immigration is unquestionably good for us.

I do not support illegal immigration. Why not just make it easier for people to enter the US legally? Undocumented people are subject to subjugation and exploitation by others. Why allow this to occur?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:35 pm
I disagree that it should be made easier to immigrate to the U.S. If you're going to do it, then you should at least learn the language and culture, not insist on retaining your own. We need to enforce citizenship rules as well as immigration law.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:51 pm
I believe the central point at issue in the earlier discussion that led to the name-calling had to do with a change in the earlier 'melting pot' concept under which this country gladly accepted millions of immigrants from a variety of places, and with a wide range of languages and cultures, and with them, synthesized a new cosmopolitan and uniquely American culture which distinguishes everyone here from other cultures and unites Americans from a wide variety of backgrounds.

It was never in fact quite as good as the propaganda, but the presence of a unifying idea and the very real creation of a new, common culture - and the emphasis put on that in our educational and public institutions - were all entirely different from today's "celebration of diversity" and "all cultural values are equal", etc. themes that arise out of the contemporary cant of political correctitude. I believe former Governor Lamm's concerns arise out of an historical view in which the evidence strongly suggests we will have a hard time holding things together this way, particularly lacking any unique tribal heritage (i.e. French, German, Chinese, etc.) as most other countries.

I believe his point is a reasonable one - certainly the historical evidence strongly supports it -- Merry Andrew's recitation of contrary "facts" with respect to the Roman Empire was itself quite contrary to the real facts. Nothing in it requires that one assign a lower place to recent immigrants and their culture than to those of past generations. On the contrary it implies that they should assimilate in the same way that our parents and grandparents did, and with the same general result, becoming new additions to our common nationality and influencing its evolution just as did those who arrived before them. This is not bigotry.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:54 pm
fredjones wrote:
I love you guys. Even when you think I'm wrong. Wink

It is possible to attack the racist premise without attacking the person. It is easy to ignore people when they are pigeonholed in the "racist" category. If you don't want to hear the other side, why did you enter into the conversation?

When you call someone a bigot, you are attacking their character instead of attacking their ideas. He is obviously misguided, but it irks me when reasonable people throw around a very hateful word. All you had to do is ask him to prove his assertions. That way we remain civilized, and maybe we also begin to change his mistaken beliefs.

Maybe I'm too naive, but I believe that racism can be cured. Calling people "bigots" does nothing to help. Being firm is ok, but slurs should not be allowed in a debate setting, no matter how despicable a post may be.

I guess the proper way would be to say...

Not that I'm calling you a bigot Cj, but you sure make a lot of bigoted and racist remarks. :wink:
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:56 pm
Learning English is in the best interests of any immigrant to the US. It is the logical first step towards success in this country. Bilingualism is a valuable trait too. I don't see why children cannot learn English in addition to their native Spanish.

Are you saying teach the immigrants jazz? What culture does America have that was not brought from someplace else? I don't understand what culture you're trying to save.

Just out of curiousity, when did your ancestors immigrate to the US?
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:58 pm
parados wrote:
fredjones wrote:
I love you guys. Even when you think I'm wrong. Wink

It is possible to attack the racist premise without attacking the person. It is easy to ignore people when they are pigeonholed in the "racist" category. If you don't want to hear the other side, why did you enter into the conversation?

When you call someone a bigot, you are attacking their character instead of attacking their ideas. He is obviously misguided, but it irks me when reasonable people throw around a very hateful word. All you had to do is ask him to prove his assertions. That way we remain civilized, and maybe we also begin to change his mistaken beliefs.

Maybe I'm too naive, but I believe that racism can be cured. Calling people "bigots" does nothing to help. Being firm is ok, but slurs should not be allowed in a debate setting, no matter how despicable a post may be.

Not that I'm calling you a bigot Cj, but you sure make a lot of bigoted and racist remarks. :wink:

Why does that make me feel better? Smile

I don't even understand myself, sometimes.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:01 pm
parados wrote:

So, based on your politically correct point of view, any disdain for illegal aliens is bigoted and racist. Oh boy. There seem to be an awful lot of folks here wearing rose colored glasses.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:07 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
On the contrary it implies that they should assimilate in the same way that our parents and grandparents did, and with the same general result, becoming new additions to our common nationality and influencing its evolution just as did those who arrived before them. This is not bigotry.

Bingo!

Recently, a close friend of mine who lives in a border state emailed me to say that she received a notice from her local school district....in nine different languages! Nine!

Surely, it should not be seen as bigotry to want your school tax-dollars to be used effectively. If I choose to live in another country, I would fully expect that learning the language of that country would be in my best interest, not to mention the best interest of my adopted country.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:13 pm
Just Wonders,

Your continued use of quotations from Thoreau in your signature, in spite of the fact that the content of your posts is pretty nearly diametrically opposed to what Theoreau stood for, amuses me to no end.

That being said, using school tax dollars to communicate effectively with parents seems like it would be a good thing.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:13 pm
I wonder how many second languages some of the PC-bashers here speak. You all make it sound so easy to learn a new language, I'm guessing you each know several.

Like it or not, lots of people move here who don't speak English. Should they learn it? Sure. Will the adults know it within a few months? Not likely.

Better get over it--because kicking about it won't change a goddam thing.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:17 pm
I am not quite clear what the point of this is. The US has long had immigrant populations that kept their own cultures and langauges. Chinatown, little Italy are not just movie props. They exist. As does large Russian, German, Dutch groups that kept together.

20 years ago I went to college with someone who's grandmother had immigrated to the US and she still didn't speak a word of English. Her children learned it and her grandchildren did too but she found no need to.

If you want to complain about the failure to learn English to survive in the US then you have to look to the corporations that see Spanish speakers as a large enough consumer group that they are happy to cater to them. It might be inconvenient for me to go to a local grocery store or Home Depot and have to walk a little farther to see the English side of an aisle sign instead of the Spanish side but hey, that's the marketplace at work. On the bright side, I know a lot more Spanish than I did 10 years ago.

Why is the US going to fail simply because some signs are in Spanish? The English language has often assimilated other languages when necessary. English is just a conglomeration of several languages to begin with. Nor will the US fail because there is a bakery not far from my work that only sells Tortillas. (is that a Tortiellara?)

This is just the same response that has happened many times in US history. Fear that immigration will mean that a particular group won't be the ones in power any more. Call it anything you want. At it's heart it is race phobic. Whether they thought it was the Chinese, the Italians, the Irish, and now the Hispanics. It is all the same thing. America survives BECAUSE we take in those people. If you want to tear it apart just try to keep them out. That should make sure we fail as a society real quick.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:22 pm
cjhsa wrote:
parados wrote:

So, based on your politically correct point of view, any disdain for illegal aliens is bigoted and racist. Oh boy. There seem to be an awful lot of folks here wearing rose colored glasses.

Based on your statements, you don't understand a joke when you see one. :wink:

Someone had called you a bigot, I used a very old tactic to show them how to not call you a bigot with a statement that is actually calling you one.

If you are offended, keep it in mind the next time a conservative uses this tactic and call them on it.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:24 pm
I believe parados' point is a good one and we should not blame the Central Americans who comprise the great mass of today' immigrants for the effects they are having on our culture - or the sometimes unjust reactions of some to it.

What is wrong, however, is the fallacious notion that no assimilation, no adaptation to our national culture and language is required of the new immigrants. They must (and will) adapt just as those who have gone g=before them. If we are foolish enough to continue incessantly "celebrating diversity" in these matters, we won't have a nation any more.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:26 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Just Wonders,

Your continued use of quotations from Thoreau in your signature, in spite of the fact that the content of your posts is pretty nearly diametrically opposed to what Theoreau stood for, amuses me to no end.

That being said, using school tax dollars to communicate effectively with parents seems like it would be a good thing.

I know. You've pointed that out to me in the past. I'm happy to oblige you, since I'm seriously worried about the general crankiness of most of the Democrats these days. (Yes, I know you're not a Democrat. Try finding one who'll admit it LOL).

It surprises me not that you see nothing wrong with using tax-dollars that could be spent on the students to communicate with parents who apparently want to live here but don't want to learn the language. My wanting to see a bit of effort on their part makes me a bigot in your eyes, I'm sure.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:42 pm
Apparently if one does not agree with the majority opinion on his thread it's instant bigotry.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:51 pm
For the record, I want to separate out the comments of Cj from the comments of the rest of people on this thread.

This has to do with what Cj says, not that he disagrees with me.I don't feel the same way about anyone else.

Cj's comments are vile, bigoted, hateful, dangerous and against everthing is good about America. I consider people of Cj's ilk to be far more dangerous than any external threat. If I were on the the other side of this argument, I would separate myself from him.

Glad to get that off my chest. I hope I was clear enough.
0 Replies