Okay Lola and Blatham...time to put up or shut up!

Ethel2

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:51 pm
Quote:
Also, please tell me what happened with Frank. Thank you.

Check your personal messages.......
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:56 pm
Quote:
Check your personal messages.......

I haven't received any. I'll assume that it's a sensitive matter and wait for it instead of asking you again, though. Thanks.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:56 pm
No one, as far as I know, has really been able to define imagination or creativity, twyvel, and I suppose that is where the emergence of mysticism arrises.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:04 pm
Taliesin181: Look at THIS POST from Lola.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:08 pm
Lola wrote:
"Still, there is something to be said for "pretty damned sure." We have to assume some things as fact in order to make decisions. My "pretty damned sure" is so close to fact that I threat it as such. I'd be willing to bet a lot of money on it, of course, I won't be around to collect, so I can't. Too bad."

This is the pragmatic view of knowledge that I feel is just about what we must settle for. Remember, C.S.Pierce's principle that we act on the basis of subjective opinions which we take for objective knowledge. What else can we do, after we have done our best to affirm the realism of our opinions? If they work, that's knowledge or its best approximation. It's where we most rationally place our bets. But absolute objective Truth is not available as a guide for realistic action.
Mystical and artistic insight, however, is another matter all together (but for another thread). I would suggest, nevertheless, that these insights have INTRINSIC value, of little or no practical value except to serve psycho-spiritual functions. Pragmatic "knowledge" has EXTRINSIC value and serves practical functions--by definition.

Taliesin181

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:09 pm
I read that, Tico. I was wondering what the reason was for his getting kicked off. Thanks, though.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:17 pm
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:36 pm
<smile> Well, twyvel, I just took an OBJECTIVE creativity test on the net. I scored a 60 because decision making curtailed my score.

Sorry, all. I was just imagining with all of you about Frank.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 03:29 pm
spendius wrote:
Ghastly?

Not nice but not in any traumatic way.Ghostly mixes its colour for me.Slightly funny.Unsightly.I might use the word to sum up my reaction to one of those big fat lady's bottoms in saggy jeans,I find tattoos ghastly.I don't think I'd ever say a "ghastly plane crash".Some of the food I have seen served in your movies looks pretty ghastly to me.Gas.Gastronomic.The mind works like that.Tinges and tones
Mathos would qualify.He's pretty ghastly.A pompous upper-class lady pontificating in a buzzsaw voice about nothing in particular as in "spendius-how many times have I told you blah blah" sort of thing.That's as close as Mathos.
But it is interesting how good authors get this stuff right and bad authors have no idea.

Spendius, you craven coward, why hide to speak ill of Mathos, perhaps you imagined it could be done with impunity?

I am afraid you were wrong 'Old Chap'
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 05:51 pm
Awed, fascinated, bewildered, overwhelmed, astonished, amazed and, totally and appreciatively entertained...................
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 06:19 pm
twyvel wrote:
Lola wrote:

Quote:
There is a lot of scientific evidence that indicates that there is no god and none that there is. There are those who try to twist themselves into contortions even Houdini would envy to say there is scientific evidence. But this "evidence" fails the logic test.

Finding myself in a less than logical condition......I don't know how that happened, but...........I will venture to ask this question: Why would empiricism (experience and feeling), rationalism (thinking and reason) and contemplation (experience and feeling and thinking and reason) be three separate entities? These are functions of the brian (mind) and are not separable for any purpose other than for discussion of how the mind functions. I see no reason to agree that there must be a god simply because someone said something that sounded mystical and called it proof of god.

Mysticism is good for some people as is religion in it's less malignant forms, it can be quite soothing, but we cannot confuse it with science because by definition mysticism is not logical. To me mysticism is about feelings and a wish to transcend the limits of our bodies and our life span. I would like to transcend as much as anyone........but I can't believe in something I do not believe in.........so I have to say that I'll have to make peace with my own mortality, like it or not.

It's a mistake, Twyvel to assume that anyone has rejected anything without contemplation unless they first ask if it is so.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:07 pm
Lola, I remember that long ago we had a go-around (with our friend, Perspective) regarding mysticism qua nondualism. And that nothing came of it. So I will not engage you on that issue again. BUT I would like to respond to some comments you have made.
You said that mysticism is good for SOME people. I would say, if we do not imagine it to be a belief system, but as a form of spiritual (psycho) therapy, that it is good for anyone who has suceeded in achieving its goals (or, technically speaking, non-goals).
You also note that we cannot confuse it with science. Yes indeed; it is not a department of science. But it is not in conflict with science. And you say that it is not synonymous with science because it is not logical. Right again. But that is not to say that it is illogical; mysticism, like art, is alogical. In fact, Nagarjuna, one of the great Buddhist philosophers has demonstrated the limitations of logic as we know it, and how it obstructs man's attempts at mystical "liberation." You also say that mysticism attempts to transcend the limits of our bodies and our life span. That may be true of some forms of what peoole take to be "mysticism", but not those forms that I (and I presume Twyvel, Fresco, Coluber, and perhaps CodeBorg) take seriously. Mystics do not strive for corporeal immortality; they transcend conventional notions about the opposition of life and death, and the usual equation of "self" and body. They also make peace with their mortality but in a radically different way than you do. Mysticism, as I understand it, is not a belief system. One may, and probably does, start out with an hopeful belief, but that is never long-lasting. One either has a deep personal insight that displaces the belief or moves on to another belief.
Please do not feel obliged to respond. I was just discharging. Thanks for the opportunity. It seems you are a full-time therapist.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:50 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Lola, I remember that long ago we had a go-around (with our friend, Perspective) regarding mysticism qua nondualism. And that nothing came of it. So I will not engage you on that issue again. BUT I would like to respond to some comments you have made.
You said that mysticism is good for SOME people. I would say, if we do not imagine it to be a belief system, but as a form of spiritual (psycho) therapy, that it is good for anyone who has suceeded in achieving its goals (or, technically speaking, non-goals).
You also note that we cannot confuse it with science. Yes indeed; it is not a department of science. But it is not in conflict with science. And you say that it is not synonymous with science because it is not logical. Right again. But that is not to say that it is illogical; mysticism, like art, is alogical. In fact, Nagarjuna, one of the great Buddhist philosophers has demonstrated the limitations of logic as we know it, and how it obstructs man's attempts at mystical "liberation." You also say that mysticism attempts to transcend the limits of our bodies and our life span. That may be true of some forms of what peoole take to be "mysticism", but not those forms that I (and I presume Twyvel, Fresco, Coluber, and perhaps CodeBorg) take seriously. Mystics do not strive for corporeal immortality; they transcend conventional notions about the opposition of life and death, and the usual equation of "self" and body. They also make peace with their mortality but in a radically different way than you do. Mysticism, as I understand it, is not a belief system. One may, and probably does, start out with an hopeful belief, but that is never long-lasting. One either has a deep personal insight that displaces the belief or moves on to another belief.
Please do not feel obliged to respond. I was just discharging. Thanks for the opportunity. It seems you are a full-time therapist.

Is mysticism an experience? I'm not sure what it is unless it is a system of beliefs.

Quote:
mysticism, like art, is alogical

In this case, it is an expression of one's self and I agree it is alogical.

Quote:
I remember that long ago we had a go-around (with our friend, Perspective)

Ah yes, Percy.......I wonder whatever happened to him. He was a nice guy, though some were annoyed greatly by him. He found it hard to tolerate the politically liberal among us. Still I miss him.

Quote:
the great Buddhist philosophers has demonstrated the limitations of logic as we know it, and how it obstructs man's attempts at mystical "liberation."

I am liberated very nicely by science, logic and my experience of knowing and playing with friends. I feel no need for more liberation than that. I am content. Thank you for responding. It was very interesting.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:42 pm
You're thinking of Perception, Lola, not Perspective.

I doubt Perspective knows Perception. Maybe just as well.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:57 pm
Yes, Roger, Perception. Thanks.
Yes, Lola, it's obvious that you have a kind of liberation which is what most people should hope for.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:04 pm
Yes Roger, I'm afraid you're right. Perception never met perspective. I only wish he could.

Thanks, JLN......I'm as liberated as I have to be. Very Happy
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 02:58 pm
Lola

Quote:
It's a mistake, Twyvel to assume that anyone has rejected anything without contemplation unless they first ask if it is so.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:43 pm
twyvel wrote:
Lola

Quote:

Granted Twyvel. We know nothing for sure. And we have no idea whether or not something else besides brain function exists either. However, since I don't know that and I see no reason to doubt that there is a consciousness beyond or other than brain function, I start with what I have the tools to understand. I'm open and willing to new discoveries. But there are none yet. And more than that, I have such grave doubts that there could be such a thing I don't think about it much because I believe it would be a waste of my time. (I don't think it's a waste of someone else's time, but I think it would be for me.....those that have faith that there is something more will continue to use their time in this way.)

I'm here in life at a time when we don't have any tools other than scientific tools. So those are the ones I use now and if future generations find a something else.......that will be nice for them. If I lived then, I would be most happy about it, I'm sure.

My thinking on this subject starts where your thinking ends. So we don't meet very well. But I think there's room for both of us to participate in the same discussion, even though we're talking about different things.

Current research (I'm attending a lecture tomorrow about neuro-psychoanalysis) in neurology is producing fascinating data about consciousness, memory, emotional responses and perceptions, etc. So that's where I'm focused when it comes to consciousness. We are, as far as I can tell, our brain, or more correctly we are our brain function. We are electrical charges firing between neurons.

This idea disturbs many people. I have a hard time understanding why. It always seems to me that the fact that we understand what makes a car go, the mechanics of it, doesn't make the experience of riding in a car any less fun or exciting or useful, for that matter.

It seems to me that it's often an upsetting idea because it violates our narcissistic defenses. We're not the center of the universe. There actually is no center. Or that's the story that sounds most convincing to me now.

We may someday come to find that we are both talking about the same phenomena but are failing somehow to communicate with each other. My idea about reality is that what we see is what has always existed, that is I think matter and energy and space have always existed in one form or another and will continue to exist forever. So the concept of a creator is a mute point. That sounds to me like a concept of God. And I like it. What's missing from my concept of God is the old man on his throne with pearly gates and streets of gold rewarding the faithful. There's no guilt necessary for my god. I can't ask him for help without recognizing that I'm actually asking me to help myself. So why call it prayer? Why not just call it contemplation?

God's will to me is "whatever happens." I have myself and my own consciousness to account for my actions. If I fail to live up to my values (and those values have to do with loving and living with others) I feel guilty. But this way, I have more influence over what I can do about it and I'm in a better position to be helpful to others. This way of explaining our existence is comforting to me. And I think I'll keep it until I find something better that comes along.

I could say more, but I think I'll stop there.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:07 pm
Bet you would be a lot of fun overnight. xx
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 06:33 pm
Mathos,

SLAPPP!!!!

How was that for you?
0 Replies