Okay Lola and Blatham...time to put up or shut up!

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 05:31 pm
We did invent "God." There was nothing to indicate a god before the concept was invented.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:09 pm
Also, does anyone care today that Abraham was an Iraqi?

((Well, at the time it was called something else.))

Also, at that time in world history there were few people/areas that considered the fact of only one God. Most held the belief that there were many Gods. One of the areas which believed in one God was Sumer and, of course, Ur where Abraham was born. They also held the belief of a couple divined by God who were the first two people on Earth and lived in a Garden. Later flooded.

Ah, so that's how that story got started.

----------

Also, in support of edgarb's above = the very first indication of an afterlife thought was not by us (homo sapiens), but by Neanderthal's who have gotten a very bad amount of negative publicity because of the first skeletal remains found - an old man with a debilitating bone disease that led the examiners to think that he was a cripple and a bore with a club. When - as we now know - he had a larger brain that homo sapiens and was probably as - or - more intelligent. The oldest burial site with flowers in the grave is Neanderthal. There are no Homo Sapien burial sites found to date that compares. Those old people were actually wondering about an afterlife - when they buried that old man at the entrance to their cave. (That in itself is unusual for the time) He must have been a good guy - and loved.
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:03 pm
And of course the earliest people were in Africa. If you want to call them Adam and Eve, be my guest.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:56 pm
Danon -

Haven't you seen? The christians have carefully obliterated the concept that Christ was an Iraqi.

Look in thier churches. He is now a bearded smiling white guy.

And Xenophanes said that if lions had hands thier gods would look like lions.... silly Greek.

I guess the bible description of 'hair of wool and skin of bronze' was a typo.

TTF
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:57 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
We did invent "God." There was nothing to indicate a god before the concept was invented.

You were there? Wink

TTF
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:18 pm
Oh,

thethinkfactory,

Please reread my post - I never said that Christ was an Iraqi. That isn't near what actually happened in historical documents - you should try reading some of them.

They are interesting - although scribed onto clay tablets - they still exist, and are readable. It's all very interesting - mostly a bunch of business letters asking for payment and lists of possessions. They are the very first writings of human people.

The "bible" wasn't in existence until hundreds of years after Jesus Christ - it was officially introduced by the Emperor Constantine - after his Mother told him to do so. Google it.

However, the "Old Testament" did exist prior to Christ. It was well established as the Jewish bible - and still is.

It was totally Jewish - as was Jesus Christ.
If he actually existed - there is currently no evidence that he was a real person. There are many acknowledgements to him - however, there were countless thousands of Jesuses during that time frame in history - just read Josephus and/or a bunch of other historians of the time. The words Jesus Christ by the way are, 1.A Hebrew word for (Savior) and, 2. A Greek word for (Savior). The "New Testament" recounting the life of Christ was written 30 to a 100-plus years after his death - apparently with no actual connection to his life. And, by many scribes. Paul's letters, and his actions are paramont to the continuation of the religion. Although, there is no evidence they ever met in real life, if Christ existed.

Living here in the "Bible Belt" - I see countless autos with a "fish" symbol on the back of the car. Each time I bet myself that those people in the car don't actually know the origin of the symbol. It came from the early believers hiding the fact that they were believers and creating symbols to relay their beliefs to other believers. IE, the fish symbol, which was known as ICHTHUS and was an acronym for Iesous Christos Theou Uios Soter - or, Jesus Christ, son of God, Savior - in ancient Greek. It helped the early ones to congregate and hide from the Romans. I actually walked the paths of those early believers in Salzburg, Austria in the catacombs which are still existing.

I know that any Christian reading this will undoubtedly be praying for me - that's a good thing - so I say to you, please read history.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 04:41 am
thethinkfactory
We were on a par with chimps or gorillas not so long ago. As we became what we are now, the notion had to occur to somebody, who then spread it to others, in effect, inventing a god or gods.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:05 am
Quote:
And Xenophanes said that if lions had hands thier gods would look like lions.... silly Greek.

And Ludwig Wittenstein said, "if a dog could talk, we would not understand him." or something like that.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:27 am
Lola:-

Couldn't you apply that to men or me to women.

I don't like the word "non-celibate" so I thought of "eager beavers" then to EBs and then to "eebees".They do go "eeeh" in order to "be".

What do you think?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:30 am
I think you're funny.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:36 am
Lola:-

There is no greater compliment.Thanks.There's only so much you can do with an eebie.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:42 am
Still I don't see anything wrong with looking for sex and finding it.

It seems to me to be the motivation behind looking for God.......but many don't agree with me. Sorry if I offend.

Interesting discussion about the origin of Jesus. Please Danon and edgar, booman and TTF continue.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:02 am
A digression.

They did a re-enactment of the liberation of the Channel Islands yesterday to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the end of the dark days of Nazi rule.It was on the news.Cost a fortune.The only change they made was that they had the acting liberating soldiers throwing boiled sweets to the acting liberated citizens instead of the cigarettes that were thrown by the real soldiers 60 years ago.

EH?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:06 am
spendius wrote:
A digression.

They did a re-enactment of the liberation of the Channel Islands yesterday to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the end of the dark days of Nazi rule.It was on the news.Cost a fortune.The only change they made was that they had the acting liberating soldiers throwing boiled sweets to the acting liberated citizens instead of the cigarettes that were thrown by the real soldiers 60 years ago.

EH?

your association is so loose, Spendi that I can't follow it........and I've tried.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:08 am
Quote-I still don't see anything wrong in looking for sex and finding it."

Isis Oh Isis,Oh mystical child

What drives me to you is what drives me insane.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:12 am
I just thought it was ironic.Why would they not throw cigarettes if it was a re-enactment.Not PC?
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:23 am
danon5 wrote:
Oh,

thethinkfactory,

Please reread my post - I never said that Christ was an Iraqi. That isn't near what actually happened in historical documents - you should try reading some of them.

They are interesting - although scribed onto clay tablets - they still exist, and are readable. It's all very interesting - mostly a bunch of business letters asking for payment and lists of possessions. They are the very first writings of human people.

The "bible" wasn't in existence until hundreds of years after Jesus Christ - it was officially introduced by the Emperor Constantine - after his Mother told him to do so. Google it.

However, the "Old Testament" did exist prior to Christ. It was well established as the Jewish bible - and still is.

It was totally Jewish - as was Jesus Christ.
If he actually existed - there is currently no evidence that he was a real person. There are many acknowledgements to him - however, there were countless thousands of Jesuses during that time frame in history - just read Josephus and/or a bunch of other historians of the time. The words Jesus Christ by the way are, 1.A Hebrew word for (Savior) and, 2. A Greek word for (Savior). The "New Testament" recounting the life of Christ was written 30 to a 100-plus years after his death - apparently with no actual connection to his life. And, by many scribes. Paul's letters, and his actions are paramont to the continuation of the religion. Although, there is no evidence they ever met in real life, if Christ existed.

Living here in the "Bible Belt" - I see countless autos with a "fish" symbol on the back of the car. Each time I bet myself that those people in the car don't actually know the origin of the symbol. It came from the early believers hiding the fact that they were believers and creating symbols to relay their beliefs to other believers. IE, the fish symbol, which was known as ICHTHUS and was an acronym for Iesous Christos Theou Uios Soter - or, Jesus Christ, son of God, Savior - in ancient Greek. It helped the early ones to congregate and hide from the Romans. I actually walked the paths of those early believers in Salzburg, Austria in the catacombs which are still existing.

I know that any Christian reading this will undoubtedly be praying for me - that's a good thing - so I say to you, please read history.

Danon - actually I was kidding - completely. It astounds me how many people can simply take artist renditions as truth. Like the 'apple' in the garden of eden or halo's on saints (aura).

When I typed Iraqi - it was a typo based on your post about Abram. I got to thinking about Adam and Eve being Iraqui's (if the 'between the Euphrates and Tigris' is not too vague)

It is more of a quirk in my humor than anything. Also, when you mention this to a suprising lot of theists they seem genuinely confused that Jesus is not white, that the apple was not in the garden, that the war of satan is not chronicled in the bible, that the seven levels of hell are also not mentioned, that the trinity is an Augustinian extrapolation, and other things.

Release your faith from your Dogma I say...

Also, look back to history and see where the most recent copy of either the Illiad and the Oddysey are found in history - and ask yourself why we take these tales to be the verbatim of Homer.

We have over 5,000 fragments or texts of the new testament dating back to the century that Christ was reported to have lived. I challenge you to find any other text from this time period or before that has better textual support.

Also, simply sweeping the Jesus figure under the rug by saying that Josephus is not relaible doesn't quite cut it I am afraid. There were many supposed saviors chronicled, this is true, and Josephus mentiones a few. The question you have to ask is why Jeshua of Nazareth's cult survived. I don't think happenstance of history (a favorite of anthropologists and scientists when they can't figure something out) accounts for this.

Also, I think you have confused other Christ figures with other Jesus's. There were others chronicled by Josephus that claimed to be Christ figures - but none that I am aware that were other Jesus figures. Jeshua was Jesus's name (as given to him by Mary - after reportedly being visited in a dream) but because he was considered the Christ does not mean that history simply made him up and gave him two names that mean savior.

Again, Josephus listed other Christ figures - but did not state or treat the Jesus figure as fabricated or simply two names for Christ slapped together to invent another being. Jeshua of Nazarath is historical fact. Whether he is indeed the christ figure is up for theological debate and faith. It is mentioned that some believed he rose from the dead - but that is up to the individual believer to take task with.

By the way - Jesus is the Latin turning of the name Jeshua or Joshua with meant Salvation not savior:

http://www.direct.ca/trinity/yehoshua.html

And to say that the bible wasn't in existence until Constantine is a bit of a misnomer. The old testament (or Torah) was in existence around the time of Jesus (perhaps as early as 300 BCE) - and the books that made up the new testament were all in existence but did not become a collection until constantine (as in the council of Nicea - I don't need to Google it - I teach it).

To say that the bible was not in existence is a misnomer. Remember, that the Codex (meaning a bound book) is a fairly new invention. The book that constantine asked for (and he asked for 50 of them) was not a codex. That kind of binding was not invented yet.

The books excluded in the council of Nicea were (mostly) included back into the catholic bible later and are called the 'Apocrypha' (meaning hidden). They were not written at this time - they were compiled from books that date back to the life of Christ or soon thereafter. Remember the cult that the Jeshua figure had started - ended in the persecution and crucifixion of many of it's members. It is not reasonable to think that many of these books could be written any sooner.

Also, Paul, the main author of the new testament, was not one of the Apostles and never pretended to write in Jeshua's lifetime. Also, we know, by Paul's words that they never met in 'the flesh'. Paul claimed to only know Jesus in the spirit as he believed he was blinded by him on the road to Damascus.

This is my understanding of it all at least from what I have read.

TTF

(Edited for a later thought)
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:35 am
edgarblythe wrote:
thethinkfactory
We were on a par with chimps or gorillas not so long ago. As we became what we are now, the notion had to occur to somebody, who then spread it to others, in effect, inventing a god or gods.

It is this thinking that makes me wonder who has the greater dogma - the theists or the athiests.

What support do you have for this assertion? What links are you drawing anthropologically that can possibly support this claim?

We go from bull paintings and red ochre on bones to an invented anthropomorphized 'religion' growing into a religion? That has less gaps than a scriptural account of reality? Can you even use Ockam's Razor on such a massive information gap and theory extrapolation?

This sounds just a circular as the religious reasoning that states that they believe in God because he inspired the bible.

TTF
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 05:34 pm
Seems tome what usually comes out, is an unquestioning belief(worship) of of the bible because it's" inspired by God." To that I say, "Hell I'm made in the image of God, that trumps inspiration, so believe everything I say without question."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 05:36 pm
I can't convince the faithful of anything and am not really trying to. Merely expounding as I see it.
0 Replies