Okay Lola and Blatham...time to put up or shut up!

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 11:52 am
Ray wrote:
Since we're on the subject of umm something to do with theism... what's pantheism?

The believe that god (or the some sort of higher spirit) is inherent in all living things. Maybe also inanimate objects, I forget...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 12:00 pm
Oh, I guess while waiting for these other two to get their acts in order....I can respond to a few bits of fluff.

JLNobody wrote:
Frank, you never answered my claim (on more than one occasion) that implicit in the agnostic's position is the notion that there MAY be a god.

Are you nuts??? Of course there MAY be a god. I have never claimed otherwise...and if you've ever asked about it, I most assuredly have responded almost this same way.

Quote:
Since you don't know; there is, in your logic, just as much chance that god exists as not.

Okay. That truly does not follow logically...but let us take it as a given for the purpose of whatever point you want to make, if you ever make it.

Quote:
I know your emphasis is on your not knowing, either way.

My emphasis is as follow: I do not know if there is a God; I do not know if there are no gods; I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction.

Quote:
As such, you claim that the atheist is just as irrational as is the theist.

That is absolutely, positively correct. I do claim that atheistic assertions that there are no gods are as irrational and illogical as theist assertions that there are.

Quote:
Do you really believe that?

I do not do "believing", JL...and by now, you goddam well know that. A "belief" is a guess about the unknown that has been disguised by using the word "belief" instead of guess.

In any case, read the comment immediately preceeding this one and I think you will get the answer you were looking for.

Quote:
I predict that your answer will evade my question.

I predict I will never evade any question you ask of me.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 12:09 pm
flaming bookmark
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 12:13 pm
Fredjones and Watchmakers, thank you both for elevating the quality of this discussion.
Frank, that was vintage you and so inadequate a response to my question. Your doctrine is not worth further attention.
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 01:47 pm
Frank you need a lil bit of faith and jesus in your life Laughing

much <3
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 02:08 pm
Discreet wrote:
Frank you need a lil bit of faith and jesus in your life Laughing

much <3

:wink:
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 03:13 pm
That's right Frank........that will fix you. Get a little Jeeeeeeezus in your life. Repent, you agnostic you. As Blatham said on Saturday night, "you're the only evangelical agnostic I know." And you are.

But we love you anyway......and after I've accomplished a little afternoon conversation......I'll read this thread and make my comments. But it may be quite late today before my conversation is finished, so it may be tomorrow before I can get back here.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 03:33 pm
But in anticipation of my return, please read this, it will set the tone:

Quote:
The atheist
Evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins explains why God is a delusion, religion is a virus, and America has slipped back into the Dark Ages.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Gordy Slack

April 28, 2005

Richard Dawkins is the world's most famous out-of-the-closet living atheist. He is also the world's most controversial evolutionary biologist. Publication of his 1976 book, "The Selfish Gene," thrust Dawkins into the limelight as the handsome, irascible, human face of scientific reductionism. The book provoked everything from outrage to glee by arguing that natural selection worked its creative powers only through genes, not species or individuals. Humans are merely "gene survival machines," he asserted in the book.

Dawkins stuck to his theme but expanded his territory in such subsequent books as "The Blind Watchmaker," "Unweaving the Rainbow" and "Climbing Mount Improbable." His recent work, "The Ancestor's Tale," traces human lineage back through time, stopping to ponder important forks in the evolutionary road.

Given his outspoken defense of Darwin, and natural selection as the force of life, Dawkins has assumed a new role: the religious right's Public Enemy No. 1. Yet Dawkins doesn't shy from controversy, nor does he suffer fools gladly. He recently met a minister who was on the opposite side of a British political debate. When the minister put out his hand, Dawkins kept his hands at his side and said, "You, sir, are an ignorant bigot."

Currently, Dawkins is the Charles Simonyi Professor of the Public Understanding of Science at Oxford University, a position created for him in 1995 by Charles Simonyi, a Microsoft millionaire. Earlier this year, Dawkins signed an agreement with British television to make a documentary about the destructive role of religion in modern history, tentatively titled "The Root of All Evil."

I met Dawkins in late March at the Atheist Alliance International annual conference in Los Angeles, where he presented the alliance's top honor, the Richard Dawkins Prize, to magicians Penn and Teller. During our conversation in my hotel room, Dawkins was as gracious as he was punctiliously dressed in a crisp white shirt and soft blazer.

Once again, evolution is under attack. Are there any questions at all about its validity?

It's often said that because evolution happened in the past, and we didn't see it happen, there is no direct evidence for it. That, of course, is nonsense. It's rather like a detective coming on the scene of a crime, obviously after the crime has been committed, and working out what must have happened by looking at the clues that remain. In the story of evolution, the clues are a billionfold.

There are clues from the distribution of DNA codes throughout the animal and plant kingdoms, of protein sequences, of morphological characters that have been analyzed in great detail. Everything fits with the idea that we have here a simple branching tree. The distribution of species on islands and continents throughout the world is exactly what you'd expect if evolution was a fact. The distribution of fossils in space and in time are exactly what you would expect if evolution were a fact. There are millions of facts all pointing in the same direction and no facts pointing in the wrong direction.

British scientist J.B.S. Haldane, when asked what would constitute evidence against evolution, famously said, "Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian." They've never been found. Nothing like that has ever been found. Evolution could be disproved by such facts. But all the fossils that have been found are in the right place. Of course there are plenty of gaps in the fossil record. There's nothing wrong with that. Why shouldn't there be? We're lucky to have fossils at all. But no fossils have been found in the wrong place, such as to disprove the fact of evolution. Evolution is a fact.

Still, so many people resist believing in evolution. Where does the resistance come from?

It comes, I'm sorry to say, from religion. And from bad religion. You won't find any opposition to the idea of evolution among sophisticated, educated theologians. It comes from an exceedingly retarded, primitive version of religion, which unfortunately is at present undergoing an epidemic in the United States. Not in Europe, not in Britain, but in the United States.

My American friends tell me that you are slipping towards a theocratic Dark Age. Which is very disagreeable for the very large number of educated, intelligent and right-thinking people in America. Unfortunately, at present, it's slightly outnumbered by the ignorant, uneducated people who voted Bush in.

But the broad direction of history is toward enlightenment, and so I think that what America is going through at the moment will prove to be a temporary reverse. I think there is great hope for the future. My advice would be, Don't despair, these things pass.

You delve into agnosticism in "The Ancestor's Tale." How does it differ from atheism?

It's said that the only rational stance is agnosticism because you can neither prove nor disprove the existence of the supernatural creator. I find that a weak position. It is true that you can't disprove anything but you can put a probability value on it. There's an infinite number of things that you can't disprove: unicorns, werewolves, and teapots in orbit around Mars. But we don't pay any heed to them unless there is some positive reason to think that they do exist.

Believing in God is like believing in a teapot orbiting Mars?

Yes. For a long time it seemed clear to just about everybody that the beauty and elegance of the world seemed to be prima facie evidence for a divine creator. But the philosopher David Hume already realized three centuries ago that this was a bad argument. It leads to an infinite regression. You can't statistically explain improbable things like living creatures by saying that they must have been designed because you're still left to explain the designer, who must be, if anything, an even more statistically improbable and elegant thing. Design can never be an ultimate explanation for anything. It can only be a proximate explanation. A plane or a car is explained by a designer but that's because the designer himself, the engineer, is explained by natural selection.

Those who embrace "intelligent design" -- the idea that living cells are too complex to have been created by nature alone -- say evolution isn't incompatible with the existence of God.

There is just no evidence for the existence of God. Evolution by natural selection is a process that works up from simple beginnings, and simple beginnings are easy to explain. The engineer or any other living thing is difficult to explain -- but it is explicable by evolution by natural selection. So the relevance of evolutionary biology to atheism is that evolutionary biology gives us the only known mechanism whereby the illusion of design, or apparent design, could ever come into the universe anywhere.

So why do we insist on believing in God?

From a biological point of view, there are lots of different theories about why we have this extraordinary predisposition to believe in supernatural things. One suggestion is that the child mind is, for very good Darwinian reasons, susceptible to infection the same way a computer is. In order to be useful, a computer has to be programmable, to obey whatever it's told to do. That automatically makes it vulnerable to computer viruses, which are programs that say, "Spread me, copy me, pass me on." Once a viral program gets started, there is nothing to stop it.

Similarly, the child brain is preprogrammed by natural selection to obey and believe what parents and other adults tell it. In general, it's a good thing that child brains should be susceptible to being taught what to do and what to believe by adults. But this necessarily carries the down side that bad ideas, useless ideas, waste of time ideas like rain dances and other religious customs, will also be passed down the generations. The child brain is very susceptible to this kind of infection. And it also spreads sideways by cross infection when a charismatic preacher goes around infecting new minds that were previously uninfected.

You've said that raising children in a religious tradition may even be a form of abuse.

What I think may be abuse is labeling children with religious labels like Catholic child and Muslim child. I find it very odd that in our civilization we're quite happy to speak of a Catholic child that is 4 years old or a Muslim of child that is 4, when these children are much too young to know what they think about the cosmos, life and morality. We wouldn't dream of speaking of a Keynesian child or a Marxist child. And yet, for some reason we make a privileged exception of religion. And, by the way, I think it would also be abuse to talk about an atheist child.

The rest here
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 03:41 pm
fredjones wrote:
I suspect that morals were not handed down from gods, but rather that gods were created to support morality.

Which of course will cause Frank to label you as irrational and illogical.

But how and where, then, did our sense of morality derive?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 04:10 pm
Quote:
"you're the only evangelical agnostic I know.".

Laughing
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 04:35 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Fredjones and Watchmakers, thank you both for elevating the quality of this discussion.
Frank, that was vintage you and so inadequate a response to my question. Your doctrine is not worth further attention.

JL, I found Frank's response to be direct, concise, precise and clear.
Was there something about your questions that he did not address
(did I miss something?) or was it emotionally inadequate?

Doctrine? ... I think agnosticism specifically does NOT impose ideas (the opposite of a doctrine).
The whole point is to interpret the evidence only as far as reason and logic would support it.
Perhaps "methodology" is a better word.

Agnosticism is efficient. It's a simple method with clear results, so "further attention" is not needed.
The first little bit of attention is enough to appreciate the integrity and reasonableness of Frank's position.

. . . Looking forward to Lola and Blatham!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 05:37 pm
Thank you, CodeBorg

JL mentioned that he has asked his question of me several times...and that I have avoided answering it.

Frankly...it is a fairly easy question for me to answer...and I cannot for the life of me understand why he thinks I would want to avoid it.

I think my answer was very responsive.

I suspect there is more to the question...but I honestly do not know what it is. If you can penetrate JL's concrete, perhaps you can get him to open up a bit and let us know what he sees as deficient about my response.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 05:45 pm
Ah, what an interesting read.

No answers available here - no way to prove anything.

Maybe everyone is right - - - just ask them.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 05:46 pm
Quote:
You delve into agnosticism in "The Ancestor's Tale." How does it differ from atheism?

It's said that the only rational stance is agnosticism because you can neither prove nor disprove the existence of the supernatural creator. I find that a weak position. It is true that you can't disprove anything but you can put a probability value on it. There's an infinite number of things that you can't disprove: unicorns, werewolves, and teapots in orbit around Mars. But we don't pay any heed to them unless there is some positive reason to think that they do exist.

Believing in God is like believing in a teapot orbiting Mars?

Lola...please, please tell me you are not gonna use simplistic nonsense like this in your arguments.

This is laughable stuff...and Dawkins is obviously not anywhere near as smart or sharp as some think if this is the crux of his argument against agnosticism.

Jeez...I hope you've got better or I'm gonna be very disappointed.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:24 pm
Codeborg, when Frank answers Lola's critique, i.e.,

"It's said that the only rational stance is agnosticism because you can neither prove nor disprove the existence of the supernatural creator. I find that a weak position. It is true that you can't disprove anything but you can put a PROBABILITY value on it [figuratively speaking, of course]. There's an infinite number of things that you can't disprove: unicorns, werewolves, and teapots in orbit around Mars. But we don't pay any heed to them unless there is some positive reason to think that they do exist" ...

he will have answered my question. But his usual snide dismissal is by no means an adequate answer.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 07:05 pm
I'm trying to sum up my thoughts in a bulleted list. I do not speak for anyone but myself. If you disagree, please explain (with care) why. Here goes:

-In order to live a good life, we must be moral beings. If there is a higher power, he will judge us based on our morality.

-Just as with any body of knowledge, the only way to be sure about morality is to use reason and rationality to attempt to arrive at the Truth.

-We use reason because only through death (presumably) can we learn the Truth about god and his idea of morality.

-Until death (if ever), we can have no measure of certainty regarding the contents and intents of god's mind.

-If we have no knowledge of god's mind, nothing we do can intentionally change our chances of going to heaven or hell.

-If our actions have no intentional bearing on our final destination, it would only be rational to act morally in response to proximal pressures, not eventual punishments.

-If morality, as used by people, is based on proximal issues, not eventual, morality as we know it is not dependent on god's wishes (which can change without warning).

-One's belief in god does not grant them special knowledge of god's mind, and therefore belief does not make a person more moral than a nonbeliever.

-This leads me to conclude that god's existence is reduced to a purely academic argument, having no direct effect on our lives. If we are moral, it is because we are rational, reasonable beings.

I just thought that I would explain my (perhaps unique) view on the matter. I do not claim to know the Truth, but I enjoy discussions of this nature.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 07:14 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Frank, you never answered my claim (on more than one occasion) that implicit in the agnostic's position is the notion that there MAY be a god. Since you don't know; there is, in your logic, just as much chance that god exists as not. I know your emphasis is on your not knowing, either way. As such, you claim that the atheist is just as irrational as is the theist. Do you really believe that? I predict that your answer will evade my question.
I'm off to bed; I hope to awaken to your response tomorrow.

JL, Frank directly answered each and every point that you made here.
Not only was your initial post snide toward him, but he responded in
the logical counter to your claim, mirroring but not escalating your jab.

And when you responding in a huff, he simply mirrored that too.

Quote:
Since you don't know; there is, in your logic, just as much chance that god exists as not.

You have to admit that this claim doesn't make sense!
"just as much chance" cannot be estimated, so why claim it? Why go there at all?
I may not be an agnostic, but it seems quite elegant and efficient. It doesn't
waste our time and energy(!) - evaluating things that can't be adequately evaluated.

Reading the article Lola posted, I'm guessing that maybe you think Frank
should be an atheist -- simply because the overwhelming lack of evidence of God creates that probability. Is this your contention and question for Frank?

For those of us who are slowly guessing, could you spell out your question instead of hinting at it?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 07:50 pm
danon5 wrote:
Ah, what an interesting read.

No answers available here - no way to prove anything.

Maybe everyone is right - - - just ask them.

I'm with danon.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 09:19 pm
Nice to see ya Gus! Do Capybaras ... I mean, if God and reason exist for
all things ... what do Capybaras think about all this preachin' and debatin'?

It seems they ought to have a say in this.

Hey, where ya goin?
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 10:12 pm
Quote:
The believe that god (or the some sort of higher spirit) is inherent in all living things. Maybe also inanimate objects, I forget...

Is this Einstein's philosophy?
0 Replies