Information about cheating was minimized, now I know all

Sigmnd

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2019 01:05 am
I am in a long distance relationship, we were together for a year before the long distance started. The plan was university abroad for 3 years and then (talk) about getting married. Within three months after the move, I found evidence of cheating on her facebook. I asked mildly about it, but she denied it. In August of 2016, 5 months after the move, I confronted her about it and she admitted it, but denied anything intimate, but she choose to break up with me rather then agree to see other people.

About two weeks later she started texting me while with the guy, and a week later called me and said that she had made a mistake and regretted it, and asked if we could get together again. I asked about the details about the cheating and again, she minimized everything that happened. I just happened to have vacation that week, and I ended up getting on a plane and flying down to see her. I was really happy to see her again, and when we were together I asked again about what happened. Specifically a trip that I was sure that they went on together and had become intimate. She STRONGLY denied it and insisted that she went with friend, and though I didn't really believe it was possible, I wanted to believe it so I accepted it.

Fast forward to February of 2019 and we were together visiting her parents to let them and everyone know we were planning to get married. After we got home and separated again, I called her early in the morning and somehow she brought up the topic of her gold coast trip. I replied very quickly "the trip you went on with your boyfriend" . Her immediate response was "yes" followed with a face which was a "Fu#%, I've been caught" face. Followed with my question "Where you obviously had sex right?" and her first honest answer.

Later that day, for the first time I got what I would call the complete truth of exactly the full scope of the cheating. When I went to see her in September of 2016 I knew, suspected, what the full level of cheating was, and I think I was really prepared to forgive her and move on. But when she lied to me, I think I also just wanted to believe that.

Now, It's a full 2.5 years later, I feel that we have grown closer and more intimate, and I do believe her that she hasn't cheated on me again....mostly believe. But I am having a harder time excepting it and moving past it.

I asked for, and got, the details of their relationship. And I believe she was very honest about it. Part of it is I feel, like she was much more selfish than I pictured or accepted in my mind. She very well knew that she was seeing two men at the same time and lying to both of us. I had an image of her being
"immature" which lead to the cheating, but now I see her as not only an active participant, but really the one in charge. She knew what she was doing and really didn't care or have any guilt that she was doing something wrong at all.

Five months after we got back together I randomly clicked on one of her old facebook photos that was from the time she was cheating on me. In the comments section was a guy with the comment "My girl". Of course I was curious, I clicked on his profile. His profile picture was him and her together clearly on a date, and his first timeline photo was him and her sitting on the beach together with the caption "with my love"......It was dated one week earlier. She told it was a crop of a mutual friends birthday party, she didn't know he was going to be there, and it was a picture of everyone that he had cropped out so it looked just like them. I could see it was cropped that way. At the time I couldn't understand how she could keep ANY contact with him, but again I wrote it off as naive. Now...knowing what really happened, I really can't understand it. It's just common sense you cut the person you had an affair out of your life. She didn't. She tells me there was no other contact, and through a weird twist, he contacted me wanting to know about me. I believe her.

The last thing is........ she never told the truth about it. She never accepted responsibility or gave me the fair information to make my own decision on to stay or leave. She says she has regretted not telling me the truth every time we have met, but she has never tried. I think if I hadn't trapped her, she would have married me without ever telling me.

For the last two and a half years, our relationship has been fantastic. I deeply am in love with her, but only know do I feel I know her better. I really want to forgiver her, but I think I need to have empathy for her to do that. When I think about how she cheated, really on two people, how selfish it was, how she really didn't seem to care, how she didn't FULLY cut him out of her life after it was over, and how she could never give me the honesty that I have been asking for for so long.....I just can't understand it.

What I am struggling with is, am I being to hard on her for something that happened 2.5 years ago. Am I being too righteous and moral. She says she is really sorry and will wait for me however long it takes. But there is just no way to know if someone is "who they are" or can change. More than the cheating, it was just really unfair to keep the truth from me for so long, and let my feelings grow.

I know the advice for this is "Only you can decide". I know this. But I would like to hear thoughts, or experiences. I'm leaning towards finishing it.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,089 • Replies: 12
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2019 01:16 am
@Sigmnd,
Sigmnd wrote:

The last thing is........ she never told the truth about it. She never accepted responsibility or gave me the fair information to make my own decision on to stay or leave. She says she has regretted not telling me the truth every time we have met, but she has never tried. I think if I hadn't trapped her, she would have married me without ever telling me.

This paragraph is contradictory, she must have eventually owned up or she wouldn't be regretting not being more honest back then. OK maybe she was caught out, but she's being honest now. You say the last two and a half years have been great.

This can go two ways either you can let this fester and throw it back at her every time you have an argument. You'll either break up or stay in a miserable relationship.

Or you can see someone about your inability to forgive and move on, get counselling.

If you're not prepared to do the latter you should let her go and find happiness somewhere else.
Sigmnd

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2019 01:52 am
@izzythepush,
I guess for me, owing up is about giving the truth. I asked many times, I wanted to know. I feel I deserved to know, when you're asked to forgive and come back, you have to know what you are forgiving. A big part of that, bigger than the sex for me, is the lie. And yet the lie continued for 2.5 years. She didn’t not talk about it. She gave lies that would minimize and specificity make it appear less then what it was. Only when she had no other option, did it come out.

The other part is the long distance part. Ignorece is bliss. I know about our relationship only when we talk and text a d travel together. The rest of the time it's trust. We are from different countries, we either get married and live together, or breakup and move on.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2019 02:21 am
@Sigmnd,
Have you told her this?

Can you move on from that or not? If you can't let her go, if you can then move on.
Sigmnd

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2019 02:57 am
@izzythepush,
I found out the truth in the last week. So part of my problem is I'm dealing with this now. Not 2.5 years ago. We've talked about it, and deeply about it yesterday. She tells me she regrets everything, but then all of the photos from the trips and dinners that she went on with the other guy were still on her Facebook page. I got emotional about them after she told me. How could she keep pictures of the dinners and trips she took while cheating on me and just leave them there for me to see. She knew that was how she got caught in the first place. But for her it was just great times and memories. That doesn't struck me as someone who was regretful at all. Maybe she is just really clueless or maybe it was and has always been no big deal to her at all. I think she really doesn't want to lose me. But maybe that is her motivation for everything she says, not actual learning or regret. It's my fault inlet too many things slide, but mostly out of ignorance. Now because of the distance thing, it's literally jump on forever, or jump off forever.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2019 03:04 am
@Sigmnd,
I think you need counselling, otherwise you're not going to get over it. Is she deliberately leaving things on her FB page to upset you, or did she just forget to remove them?

It's hard to see anything other than the very bad once you've been hurt. I'm just some bloke on the internet, there's not much I can do. See a professional counsellor and get this sorted.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2019 05:18 am
She slept with this guy 2+ years ago when you two weren't dating.

That's not cheating; it's called being single.

And now that you have teased the whole truth out of her, you're having second thoughts about marriage. Second thoughts are pretty damned normal.

Take this as a learning experience. Knowing all the grisly, gory details generally doesn't make you feel any better, nor does it help anything.

Did she lie to you? From where I am sitting, she selectively omitted certain things, knowing that you would be upset.

Either let it go and move forward, or let her go. I highly recommend counseling to help you discover the decision for yourself. And put off any wedding plans until you know for sure.
Sigmnd

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2019 05:34 am
@jespah,
We were definitely dating. Maybe you don't consider long distance relationships real? We would talk every day and video chat. She would tell me how much she loved and missed me, and then go meet the guy she was cheating with for 3 months. We both consider ourselves in a relationship for four years, though the last almost three years has been long distance.

Yes. I may seek counciling before I make my decision
jespah

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2019 07:24 am
@Sigmnd,
Long distance relationships are plenty real.

You said you broke up and then a week later she saw someone else.

You were not dating during the break up.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2019 10:35 am
@Sigmnd,
This is simpler than you are making it. If you can forgive her, then do so and never bring it up again. Because as said earlier, throwing it back in her face every time you argue is a perfect recipe for ending a relationship. (Why you would want details of the cheating is beyond me. The details are meaningless. She cheated. You can either forgive and move forward or you cannot. The details don't matter.)

If you cannot forgive and let it go, then end things. It really is that simple.

From your post, it is difficult to tell when exactly the cheating began. If it had happened prior to your breakup, then you have a right to be upset. But anything that happened after she broke things off is, quite frankly, none of your business.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2019 06:08 pm
@CoastalRat,
Give the girl a break and break up with her. You don't seem mature enough for a real relationship. As someone said before why are you interested in a sexual relationship that happened 2 years ago.
0 Replies

Sigmnd

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2019 07:57 pm
@CoastalRat,
Sorry if it wasn't clear,

We were together in a long distance relationship, talking every day and video-chatting a minimum of three to four times a week; always until the day we broke up with her telling me she loved me and missed me and couldn't wait until we were back together. A little after one month after she moved for school, I saw evidence of romantic dinners that I took as a new boyfriend on her facebook. I asked her about it and she denied it. On her first break from school, I offered to buy her a ticket to come see me, but she said that had a trip planned with friends. Then the facebook trip post was pictures of ONLY her having what I would call romantic dinners and activities that looked like couple trip not friends trip. I asked if she traveled with a man, and she insisted that she went with her friends and would upload pictures later. Finally a month after the trip I knew and confronted her as if I absolutely new and only then did she admit, but still told me that the trip wasn't with him, that she had just met someone and not imitate at all.

Yes, I know I was stupid to believe that. After hearing this, I gave the option for both of us to see other people or break up. She chose break up. Then a week later contacted me, while hanging out with him. I know this because she told me he was angry that she was texting someone else. Then two weeks after we broke up, she said it was a mistake, she was never intimate with the guy and only used him because she didn't know anyone and...blah blah blah.

Asked me to come back, and I did. I flew to meet her and just wanted honesty. I wanted her to tell what had obviously happened, not the grisly sex details, so that I could know that even though she had cheated and lied to me, could tell me the truth and understood what she did. I already thought she had sex with him, I already thought the worst and I was ready to forgive her.

For me, the cheating sucks. There's no way around that, but I can let it go. It's the continued lying. When I asked her about it, she lied, and then built lies on top of those lies to make it seem as innocent as possible.

Now that I know the whole story, she didn't feel she made a mistake and wanted me back. The guy she met was really controlling and mentally abusive. She had a heated incident with him that involved her uncle when the guy went to her home in a rage. The uncle pretty much told her the guy was crazy and she couldn't see him anymore........then she decided she wanted me back in her life.

I had caught her pretty much red handed, what were the chances of that ever happening again? Well then I randomly look at an old post almost 6 months after I came down to see her, after we got back together, I found a comment by the guy. Click on HIS facebook page and see a picture of them together and the comment "with my love".

Again, she told me it was a random mutual friends birthday and she didn't know he was going to be their, and she had no problem sitting next him for the group photo, but didn't talk to him. BUT.....Then he followed her to a mall where they went shopping, but somehow not together, and somehow he put a shirt in her bag that she would have to return, and meet him again later.

She told me he was crazy obsessed about her and thats the reason for his facebook post, but all I know is she still saw him at least three times after we got back together, never told him about me, and that according to her it was all very innocent.

Sorry, I've wrote too much. Slow day at work. ^^

I just feel if she had been able to be honest with me in the first, we could put this behind us forever 2.5 years ago. We could have had an honest conversation about the guy that she cheated with and whether or not it was acceptable for her to see him again. I feel we can do that now, but I also just feel, that she is ok lying to me. If she does something bad, as long as I never find out....it's ok
izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 01:05 am
@Sigmnd,
All of this stuff needs to come out in couples counselling. There's no easy fix.
0 Replies