..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

glitterbag

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 05:28 pm
I'm stupid, I thought it was probably a French sounding name of someplace off the Canadian Coastline. Thanks Sentana for the map. And remember, if any of you guys want to rob a bank, don't let me be the wheel man.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 05:39 pm
I dunno, one might enjoy a distinct advantage over the police if fleeing in a vehicle piloted by someone with no sense of direction . . .
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 05:46 pm
Hmmmm, I never thought of it that way before. I might actually be very good at something I'm not good at? Thank you S, you have made my day.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 02:16 am
Some details here:

http://www.radich.no/eng/pgs/hovedsiden.html
http://www.intandem.com/NewPrideSite/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/features/tall_ships_2005/
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 04:52 am
Quote:
"I'll sing you a song, a song of the sea
Blow, blow, blow the man down
Rum and the lash and sod-o-mee...."

It's a MAN'S life on a FarmerMan Ship....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:47 am
It was raining so we went to Fredericktown. I missed McT's return. YAAAAAARRR
(BTW-Sept 13 is International "Talk Like A Pirate Day" So I hope someone starts a thread.

McT, did you tire of the heaving to? Im sure they didnt have you up the masts. Did ya remember never to chum to windward? A smaller boat (like mine) handles rough seas much better because youre like a little cork rather than a big 2 by four. While the Radich would pound the seas, we, for most part slide over the big waves. AND, I dont try to head into a line of breaking waves waves at top speed.
Them was some pretty heavy seas. Especially if you were into a storm. Was it a low that came up from the South?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:53 am
Ralppphhhhh!! Hurl!!!! Spew!!![/[/color]size]http://www.concertina.info/hydeaccordions/images/Seasick.gif
[quote]ARR, those landlubbers![/quote]
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 10:48 am
farmerman wrote:
It was raining so we went to Fredericktown. I missed McT's return. YAAAAAARRR
(BTW-Sept 13 is International "Talk Like A Pirate Day" So I hope someone starts a thread.

McT, did you tire of the heaving to? Im sure they didnt have you up the masts. Did ya remember never to chum to windward? A smaller boat (like mine) handles rough seas much better because youre like a little cork rather than a big 2 by four. While the Radich would pound the seas, we, for most part slide over the big waves. AND, I dont try to head into a line of breaking waves waves at top speed.
Them was some pretty heavy seas. Especially if you were into a storm. Was it a low that came up from the South?

Yes, we had to go up the rigging- those who wanted to. All sail-handling is manual, so making sail and furling sail needs topmen on the yards.
The day I was sick, I didn't want to do anything but shelter on deck.

The CR is not big by ship standards, 660 tons (measured) and displacing just over 1000 tons. It stayed on top of most waves, just taking some spray over the weather rail. Sailing into the wind meant that the waves arrive quicker, and the ship's motion was very lively at times- despite taking care, I fell twice.

The weather patterns around Britain are very variable, and change quickly. I think we were influenced by a high over the Atlantic and a low over Scandinavia. The result anyway was northerly winds, quite strong mostly.
I will send Walter a couple of photos (from my other computer, tomorrow) and ask him to post them here, if I may, since you kindly enquire.

McT
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 02:19 pm
Mc T, consider this your "keeping room" when not at sea. Id be happy to see your photos and will pass the word by some noodging of the title
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 04:04 pm
ARRRRR.
We went out fishing a bit, and within an hour, we landed 2 nice halibut. We will eat one and have enough for usand neighbors Im trying to find a recipe for planked halibut. Im thinking of sweet butter with some lemon and fresh tarragon. Simple but full of flavor.
The sweet corn in Maine really sucks, its mostly Silver queen and its imported from Connecticut. It s not the freshest.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 04:55 pm
mmmmm, halibut...
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 05:46 pm
Photos coming later. My plans have been somwhat disturbed this week.

Halibut are becoming scarcer round here, I believe. A cold water, deep water fish, it can grow to great size when left alone.

Also, isn't it one of these fishes with a migrating eye? Starts off in midwater looking normal, then takes up later life on the ocean floor and one of the eyes moves round to join its mate on top. Crazy, but practical.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 06:33 pm
yeh, all flatfish, in the nymph stages have a "roving eye'

A halibut story freom the deeper waters off East Quody head. The first time we went fishing up there, we had a zodiac boat a 20 ft plastic bottomed inflatable. Wed fish for cod and mackerel. We didnt go out very far because the boat had a rather low sail and water'd wash over the gunwales and wed be sitting in a few inches of water until we opened er up and she self. bailed.
Once, on returning, We were coming on a small group of fishing boats near "Bird **** rock" and we saw these old guys with sections of old steam radiator pipe that were originally used for house heating radiator surface. They were using the radiator sections for "sinker weights" Im talking like 30-50 pounds of metal weight. To this they had tiedswivels and a bunch of hooks (very large marlin rigs) on wire leader and they baited these with what looked like hunks of boiled chicken (Actually, we later found out that a typical bait was a rotten chicken half)
They would then "hand line out with swedish rigs and trots" and sit around drinking beer in their boats until these "tip ups on floats" began sticking up in the air like floats tha we all used to catch sunfish when we were kids. Then all beers were forgotten and these guys would hand over hand, draw in the wire lines using a little motorized cathead rig on one of the boats(one guys boat sent down the trot lines and the other boat brought em up by a 5 HP engine that ran the cathead rig. Up from the depths would come these huge "Hooked throw rugs" with eyes. It took 2 guys (at least, to land the fish, which were about 50 to 75 pounds (Ive heard that, in the past, they went up to 200 pounds) When they landed the halibut in one boat, one guy had to go and dispatch the fish before it beat the boat
to pieces. They did this with a hockey stick or baseball bat. (My feelings on the choice of weapons was,IMHO more due to the proximity to the US/Canadian line than any " personal preference of weapon"
So, as we got bigger boats , we tried this out, but we use only a "pool cue rod" these are non flexing wooden boat rods that carry a penn Admiral and very heavy (100 lb test) STREN. We used those for a bunch of years. Now, we have a series of electric winch reels That I bought from a commercial fishing company that was selling out. These winches allow us to fish at 400 ft without the accompanying inconvenience of a heart attack. When we go after halibut, its purely for the "meat" because there is no sport involved, its likedragging for a cadaver. A halibut has a lot of good flat surface upon which to generate resistance. And, although the halibut is not known for its great intelligence, it does recognize that its being pulled to the surface by its dentures, and it puts up quite a fight. We caught 2 realtively small ones but, for us, it was enough for several meals and we edont go fishing to even approach a limit (the limit is 10 per day and that, to me, is way too many. One guy from NJ, who owned a seafood restaurant would bring a crew of buddies along and theyd fish for a week straight and, they had a truck in which they would store the halibut "steaks", no doubt, to be served up to some gabones in Millville or Kearney.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:02 pm
It's like a big, flat fish!!

http://www.alaskafishon.com/images/more%20halibut.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:09 pm
In MAryland restaurants they make a terrific flounder filet stuffed with crabmeat. Its a single flounder with bothfilets surrounding a generous portion of lump crabmeat in a St Michaels bechamel made with Md 20/20 and old bay. It sounds gross but its fantastic. I cannot imagine one halibut served up in a similar fashion. The ones we caught were 12 and 15 pounds, not like stillys. Although Ive seen a few really big ones in Alaska
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:16 pm
Do you just lay the frypan down on it and cut out a chunk that will fit?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:33 pm
our halibutts were small enough that we could skin em, and then cut them into square "portion sized" cuts. To the halibut, its quite an invasion of privacy but they are quite delicious.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:34 pm
This is why the Irish put to sea . . .

. . . just for the halibut . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 10:55 pm
You realize that you have to make a perfect Act of Contraction for that . Or else sing a sea shanty
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 11:20 pm
When i was a little boyo
So me mother told me . . . to me!

Weigh haul away, we'll haul away Joe

That if i did not kiss the girls
My lips would all grow mouldy

Now weigh haul away,
We're bound for better weather . . . to me!

Well first i met a Yankee girl
And she was fat and lazy . . . to me!

Then i met an Irish girl
She damned near drove me crazy

Now weigh haul away,

King Looie was the King of France
Before the rev-oh-lu-shy-un

Then he got his head cut off
It spoilt his con-sti-too-shy-un

Now weigh haul away,

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa
0 Replies