..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 04:49 am
@McTag,
Austria? There arent any kngaroos in Austria. You must be thinking of Australia Very Happy

The Altman heirs (in reality) took a huge hit from the art critic s for "taking the money " when they decided to auction off the Klimt and several others that were part of the court case and final arbitration.

The painting now resides in the "hobby" gallery of the owner of the Este Lauder company in New York. The art critics in the US are mostly supportive now since the "news legs" of the story died down in the subsequent scandal involving the huge Art collection of the Barnes Museum .
In the US all Art news is fierce, biting, and short lived.
farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 06:00 pm
@farmerman,
sailing ,sailing--- over mounding bane.
farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 02:28 pm
@farmerman,
weve landed in Sydney an have tied up and Im waiting to take a shower after her ladieship;s ablutions are complete.
It was dicey out there till we came to the Lee an into an HoR. The boat, a Hinkley Talaria is really a dream to pilot and it has all the bells n whistles for a fairly small cruiser (its about 46' LOA)

We now leave the boat ( It were really nice We were delivering it to a dealer near Lunenberg for a Boat Service in Assategue Island Maryland, and on the way up, we had some repairs done in about a day and a half at the Hinkley shop in SWest Harbor) and now we are gonna be driving back to Delaware this weekend (or into next week). I rented a nice Jeep "Rubicon". It looks kinda like a war wagon but its a 'vertible suitable for woods and roads

Gonna drive to CApe Blomedon for pictures and visit the Farmers Market at St John and come South via St Andrews where I think we will bed down tomorrow
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 02:36 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
sailing ,sailing--- over mounding bane.
working, working--- enduring the endless pain.

(just kidding, actually I like my work, but it ain't sailing. Just the only rhyme I could think of)
farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 03:52 pm
@rosborne979,
I actually HATE sailing. Its a lot of work to make the damned boat go. I like the motorized ones better and these "Lobstah yatchs" are really great.
The noat was a Wifi hotspot. I sent the second to last one from the boat as we got closer to shore (It has a sat nav but its not a good wifi node whereas the normal cell phone wifi works ok (unless we got some shitty weather)

That boat was a little above my pay grade unless I sold my farm and my wife/
farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 11:14 am
@farmerman,
we just redocked at SW Habbah. (we were asked to bring the damn thing down to install some kind f gizmo on the nav plotter. So we are about 1 hour from driving home (Back to landlocked Pa).

Were comin back up ta Maine in Oct to look at another boat ( A friend asked me to look it over an see if hed want to buy it).
Its another Hinkley (I love there damn Hinkleys, they are made like a Ferrari where everything is crafted with downeast craftsmanship)

McTag

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 03:17 pm
@farmerman,

Boatie heaven.

I must go down to the seas again
To the lonely sea and the sky
And all I ask is a tall ship
And a star to steer her by....
farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 03:54 pm
@McTag,
we decided to just stay in Rockland for the night and go to see whats doing.We will get a Good nights sleep and an early start on about a 10 hour drive.

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 03:14 pm
@farmerman,
for every boat that plies the ocean
Weve a fight against corrosion.
for each hour on the sea
we scrape off Fe 2O3
but even the hours docked ashore
produce goddam Fe3O4

Well were home. I heqrd a PBS show qbout Rust this AM and the speaker said
"If ya wanna sail ,go out with a friend who has a boat an let him deal with the rust
farmerman

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 05:30 am
@farmerman,
well, were gonna be on our last little jaunt this PM to maybe the end of NEXT WEEK. Were going to deliver a boat down the intercoastal waterway and then spend some time in Charleston SC. Im taking the puter along because this boat has a wifi hotspot. (I can se that everyone will be wanting to tie up next to us at night).

Hopin were in calm weather.

Its good to know how to "drive a barge"

Ill check in from down around Crisfield Md tonite, then were over to Lewes Del to pick up the boats owner and then we head out.
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 12:32 pm
@farmerman,
ooooeeeh. This boat is really a pig
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 01:36 pm
@farmerman,
http://i59.tinypic.com/x10q6c.jpg

And what happened?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2015 09:11 am
@Walter Hinteler,
http://i61.tinypic.com/1zq8qz8.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2015 09:14 am
@farmerman,
the boat's a pig

how's the bacon?
farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2015 03:17 pm
@ehBeth,
We had to deliver and drop the boat off to a work shop which is going to refit the thing for the new owner (They didnt have time or enough skill to pilot the damn thing so we got a little adventure on their nickel). There was so damn much rust on this thing that Im wondering how much the refit will really cost. The deisels were only passable and since we were always within the intercoastal waterway, it was mostly a "no wake" zone every few miles, so there was always a "bit of smoke" from the engine compartments
The boat, a 40+ ft long "lobstah yowt" had all sorts of "make do's" on the earlier refit (which was a fairly sloppy job done mostly all for looks and nothing that really made sense. Whoever had it before made some really ass backward additions of two fairly proud strakes (linear hunks of wood or metal that run the length of the wetted keel and are used to keep the boat "tracking") This boat apparently ran kind of "sideass" so the strakes were at slightly different pitches and heights on the port and starboard. It sorta worked fairly well but it cried for "DO MY HULL RIGHT WHEN YOU REFIT ME"

Rust was a constant companion and fortunately I had a good Stihl driver and I tapped some of the hex head screws into the glassed -over marine plywood. When I poked around below, there was a sickening feel of shitty wood that was mostly being held up by the glas .

Nevertheless,We had fun on the intercoastal waterway ,(its mostly the waterway left behind the barrier beaches that face the ATlantic. People are building on em like crazy in NC and from Assateague and south on the Delmarva.
Very very good seafood and chowders. In mot times wed anchor up in a little shallow cove for the night. The weather ws pretty much perfect (hot inlnd but cool along out waterway route). We brought a zodiac with a 9.9 hp and 2 bikes which were our "shopping carts". Lotsa little towns with small stores and fruit stands so.
We had to be carefule with water on this one. I was disinfecting the water after every fill in the tanks cause there was a weee smell of deisel that I could NOT figure out. Water tanks were foreward and the desiel was two tanks in the aft port and starboard.

The electronics was great. the previous owner must have been a geeky guy . I could not figure out the plotter but everything lse was great. We only needed radar once last weekend when the air was cooling off a lot at night and the water was warm so we were plodding in a soup looking for a specific town.

Id do the Inland water way again but woth a better boat. This was actually more of a job in that we were delivering tne thing to a boat shed for a 2 year refit amnd redesign. I gave em my input and we had a little FIAT 500 from an Enterprise lot. The Fiat was a lot of fun, it had paddle shifters and was a little rocket.

I understand that Pope Francis was driving one in DC.
I think we are done with any boat trips for the year. I guess we will close the book on 2015 and go ashore for the winter.
panzade

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2015 04:51 pm
A satisfying end to another summer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2015 05:36 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2015 05:53 pm
@ehBeth,
I hear that song so much . They play it on Md PBS , in Eastern Shore restaurants, at festivals. I wanna KILL the ****** who wrote it.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2015 07:21 pm
@farmerman,
oops

I love it - but I only hear it when I want to. The documentary it was written for was terrific.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2015 10:42 pm
@ehBeth,
I could add a shanty (Rolling home ...), but I just know it in Hamburgish-German Wink