..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 10:03 am
@farmerman,
Apparently, bringing the currach to Louisiana was a fairly recent event. viz.
Quote:
The Celtic Society of Louisiana www.celts1.com is a
non-profit organization with a mission to become a
dynamic center for Celtic Culture and History by
promoting, organizing and supporting Celtic cultural
events, educating the community on Celtic culture and
history, supporting various charitable causes and
foundations and becoming a good community citizen.
This project was begun two years ago with the
assistance of Hibernia Bank who provided a seed fund.
'Hibernia supported us when no one in Baton Rouge knew
what a currach was,' said Randall Stevenson, the
current Celtic Society president. 'Their trust and
support is now seeing dividends and has grown from
simply buying a currach to building currachs under the
instruction of a master builder. This could not have
happened without Hibernia and Danny O'Flaherty.'

Hanging from the ceiling in the O'Flaherty's Irish
Channel Pub on Toulouse Street in New Orleans is a
currach, made in 1990 in Connemara. It is a constant
reminder of a simpler time in the West of Ireland.
'The Currach is Ireland, it is the sea and the Irish
Gaelic language, it is a vessel that has not only
carried fishermen and adventurers across the ages but
it carries with it the history, culture and mystery of
ancient Ireland,' says Rush. 'Who would have guessed
that it would find itself to Louisiana

When Im done with the boat , Im gonna have to make the trip to Oflaherty"s to tip a mug of something like St Pauli Girl N. A. to the currach hanging on the ceiling.

As far as I can see, noones making kit versions so Im sorta on my own with my design ideas and stern boards and Im thinking of setting in a small orlop deck to keep ballast and to make a tinny keel (By the time this thing is even done on paper, its gonna look more like a log canoe than a currach.

PS, This has been a project Ive been busting my own chops on for several years and never had the time . In that time I bought and sold an Old Towne motor canoe which I hated (it was so clumsy and was prone to go "sideass" when I afixed a 2hp ob motor). SO, I sold it for more (I bought it at an estate sale for a small amount). Now the currach calls to me. I think I was born in the wrong phylum.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 10:03 am
@farmerman,
I was looking for a pic

http://www.paabo.ca/uirala/uini-altaskinboats_files/curragh.gif

landed at this website

http://www.paabo.ca/uirala/uini-altaskinboats.html (where I'll be reading for a while)

and realized I NEED to pick up

http://neexplorersclub.org/images/Farfarers%27s-cover.jpg

I love Farley Mowat, love seafaring adventuring books, can't believe I missed this book.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 10:14 am
@farmerman,
http://www.salmonboats.co.uk/mediac/400_0/media/sheds~002.jpg

another interesting website by folks with an interest in curraghs

http://www.salmonboats.co.uk/mediac/400_0/media/sheds~002.jpg

apparently, this is the film that inspired the new build by the salmonboat folks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_of_Aran

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 10:16 am
@ehBeth,
Billy be dam.

I always got a kick out of reading Mowat He has what Id call "an interminable kids view of stuff"

I dont think Im going to build a 36 footer, thats way to much boat for no help. ANyway, the amount of kevlar Id need would be outrageously xpensive. Im gonna go with about 20 or 22 as an open pit day sailer. Itll have an orlop deck so it wont be so deep.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 10:20 am
@farmerman,
the correct link for salmonboats

http://www.salmonboats.co.uk/

the skeleton pic I posted is of a 17 ft
farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 03:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Neat, while I was on A2K, Ive been looking at various plans for various wooden boats and the currach isnt a really popular one . I did find a set on an Irish site but its the kind with the raised struts on the prow. Im going to see what the Swamp Celts have to offer
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 07:39 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Billy be dam.

I always got a kick out of reading Mowat He has what Id call "an interminable kids view of stuff"

I dont think Im going to build a 36 footer, thats way to much boat for no help.
ANyway, the amount of kevlar Id need would be outrageously xpensive.
Im gonna go with about 20 or 22 as an open pit day sailer. Itll have an orlop deck so it wont be so deep.
Does that mean that when it rains . . .
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 07:41 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Neat, while I was on A2K, Ive been looking at various plans for various wooden boats and the currach isnt a really popular one . I did find a set on an Irish site but its the kind with the raised struts on the prow. Im going to see what the Swamp Celts have to offer
Will u be ruled by popularity ?
farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 08:37 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Will u be ruled by popularity ?
English is your first language yes?. Obviously, if you read the posts you saw from my prattle that Ive already decided to build a currach. My above statement wasnt that I was going to choose a model based upon its popularity, it meant that the Currach wasnt a popular model to build, since I couldnt find but one set of plans for sale.
farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 08:59 am
@farmerman,
Ive sent for a set of plans through the Louisiana Celtic Society. When I do the plans take-offs (when the pile of papers gets here) I better learn the terminology for doing a full set of drawings from which to develop patterns and to build. Fortunately these boats look fairly easy to frame and Ive had some experience in kevlar boat building, having helped a friend kevlar his sea kayak.
spendius

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 09:48 am
@farmerman,
Seeing as how you turned down the opportunity to speculate upon where the first anti-religion roots took a hold of your noggin could you explain where the boat building urge came from? It isn't an urge most people have. Building comfortable rooms to relax in is much more common although I think they are best when allowed to grow.
farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 10:28 am
@spendius,
Ive built or restored several boats. Weve lived near the sea or bays and my father was a deep sea fishing nut. I inherited that passion and have carried it to mine as well.
My boat, the Iapetus , was a derelict when we bought her. Someone smashed her from gunwales up, into a bridge overhang and they werent even scratched (everyone was below and the boat was using a self steering unit which went awry. We resuc=ed that boat and 15 yearts later have a well crafted seaworthy tub with all sorts of modern and electronic gizmos. We love deep water piloting (usually done within small parties of a few "Tugs").

Ive built a day sailor, a small wooden scull, have done the outfitting and residing of several 9 log canoes and pungies. And besides my own boat, Ive helped others in their boatbuilding projects.
I have lots of room in one of several small barns and one great barn for all the seacrafts Id ever desire to build.

Just like Mr Ratty said ,..

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 02:46 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Ive built or restored several boats.
Weve lived near the sea or bays and my father was a deep sea fishing nut.
I inherited that passion and have carried it to mine as well.
What r the best aspects of deep sea fishing ?

David
spendius

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 03:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Getting the cash for the catch and going on the town with it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 03:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Its difficult to explain to someone who has to ask the quetion. The fish are not the leading candidate . My use of Sea Fever as an abstraction of the experience is wholly valid in my mind. SOmetimes we carry all our fishing gear and never set a hook, we just puddle around and take short unexpected tours.

AND, I really hate flying
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 04:13 pm
@farmerman,

Do u have a favorite fish to hunt ?
dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 04:46 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
we just puddle around and take short unexpected tours.
most likely i'd enjoy going fishing with you.
spendius

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 04:50 pm
@dyslexia,
catching crabs in cramped quarters.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 05:10 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
not really. I rarely go after big fishes. Once and a great while we will go after tuna, but just for the meat. Im not enthralled at the fight a fish puts on. I get bored after a half hour no matter how big. (anyway, the bigger the fish the shittier th flavor). Except for 'aleebut. I love catchin halibut. They are a like a seagoing piranha with very formidable teeth and so we fish for them using wire leader.

I was introduced to halibut fishing by this old guy. He was in his mid 70's and was still a waterman. Wed go out on his boat (A beal Island boat) and out to the Gulf of Maine off several islands (fishing spots are like blueberry barrens, or lobster coves, they are guarded secrets. I signed on to help this guy and e went out with several sections of steam radiator (like the radiators used in old houses) He would bait up a wire line with several big Halibut hooks (the curl on a Halibut hook can be over 6 inches and VEERRRY SHARP and they are snelled so, if you ever got one in your hand, theyd have to pull it out going forward AND, they dont cut the hook, that would be wasteful.

Wed have the radiator out in front of the line and the hooks (usually 4) in a "trotline fashion" off the main leader. Wed use swivels as big as door locks and then wed lower the radiator slowly and then bait each round of wire and hook with a piece of old chicken or ham.(Halibut arent kosher). Wed drop the line with several floats to mark the spot (We must remember that the prime halibut water is over 200', so you need another 150' of line so the floats dont get dragged down in the rising 30ft tides.

We take off and bait about 20 lines and then go to Jonesport for something to eatr (high tides vary an hour each day). When we return we grab a float and roll it up on a cathead (Its a 5 hp engine and a pulley made out of an old 15" car wheel on a rack. The engine drives the wheel via a axle pipe and a bearing (called a pillow block). The cathead pulls up the line (this line is very heavy monofilament)and my job is to coil and stuff the line in a line crate and not get it tangled (Took me several trips to learn the skill) When a hook was visible the line and swivel had a flourescent tag on it so you can see it coming in 50" of water(Water is very clear up there).

Usually wed have 2 halibuts on and these were not DEAD. Wed raise the halibut up to the gunwale and id grab him with a gaff in the gill and my employer would beat the **** out of him with a Louisville SLugger. (wood soft ball bats are the best to dipatch an halibut). Wed drag the halibut over to a cooler bin (it had a refreigeration bay, and wed slide the fish in. Wed head back to shore to several points of fish buyers and these guys would have an agreed on price and theyd take the fish to Boton or NY that day.
I did this a few years ago to learn how to catch halibut. I got really obsessive about it and my wife had to punch me in the head to remind me that we were on vacation. Its a market fish and catching them and to be part of the whole commerce thing was fascinating. HOWEVER, I was always treated as someone from AWAY, and being in Academia at the time, I was as much of a curiosity to the watermen. Every year we go for big halibut at least once.

PS, an halibut can get up to 200 lbs of mean gnashing teeth and bone breaking tumbling when its drug on board. Its not a docile fish like a cod, which just comes up, lies on the boat deck and dies for you. I hate cod fishing, its like dunking for cinder blocks. If they werent so delicious broiled, Id never go after em. Usually when wed go for cod (before the seasons were totally closed due to overfishing) wed get one or two tops, just enough for a good supper.

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 05:14 pm
@dyslexia,
we never know whats gonna be the day on the water. Ive known sport fishermen who , religiously, get up each day thyre on the bay and go out and fish their asses off for 8 hours straight. Wed go by these guys and drop off coffee to em as we head out to an island or something. The guys were from Allentown Pa and came up to Eastport to fish their entire 2 weeks vacations. They were fishermen who only fished for the meat. They would stock up their and their kids freezers and then leave. They didnt even know where most of the neat stuff was, or where the puffdins went, or where you could find seals basking in the breaking fog. Yep, sport fishermen are as obsessed as I sorta got when I was working as an apprentice halibut fisherman.
0 Replies