Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

Ethel2

Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:22 am
Well, they'll stone ya when you're trying to be so good,
They'll stone ya just a-like they said they would.
They'll stone ya when you're tryin' to go home.
Then they'll stone ya when you're there all alone.
But I would not feel so all alone,
Everybody must get stoned.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 14 Nov, 2006 04:19 am
Are you on nights Lola?
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:33 am
spendi , you are indefatigably ignorant about your very arguments, and who you support. Obviously a slick side bar is more important than accuracy or "trails of evidence". Youve got the concept of "critical thinking" all wrong, Its not an automatic negative response on everyone, even those who are better equipped at vocalizing ID's basics than you Now that youve completely disagreed with Mike Behe, who is your science champion of ID? Please dont give me William Paley.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 14 Nov, 2006 09:05 am
fm-

I couldn't possibly comment on Mr Behe until I had had a few weeks leaning on the bar with him to probe his real motives, what he has read and some glimmerings of his personal circumstances.

I assume he's an intelligent bloke but I don't know what he looks like. He has a tough brief though. Like trying to get Hitler off.

I can't see what flaggelum and blood clotting has to do with this debate, nor variations on creation mythologies. There's billions of the former to look at and thousands of the latter.

It's all about sociological and psychological factors of some complexity and there are tiers of expertise the highest being the Government and all hamstrung with the Constitution and the objective is the grand Faustian one of care for the future which means on,all the evidence, that you are all a bunch of heretics and your confusions all stem from your overthrow of the one true spiritual authority so you could push on faster with the fabulous gift that was empty America dropped into your lap with European technology and world markets and if it all goes wrong you are going to look like the teenage girl who ran away to the city and returns to Ma and Pa all down in the dumps and bedraggled.

And you are doing OK. You are No 1 unchallenged. And live like Lords.

Do you remember those painters of your's who rode bikes around on canvases with blobs of paint on. The canvas was your continent and Uncle Sam was on the bike. You had run randomly wild. On wheels.

"Peace will come on the wheels of fire".

"We're going all the way till the wheels fall off and burn."

"There's no goin' back."

Bob Dylan.

I saw a scene in a Spielberg "Going West" movie and it was all about a wheelwright. Henry Ford was in him.

I think we might have a public enquiry, appoint a committee of the "wonderfuls" and allow it to run into the sand using the standard and well-worn techniques.

But I rather think that in your case such a course might make matters worse and is probably not possible in any case.

My science champion is a composite of the men I have occasionally mentioned, and some others, and who could always see the extraordinary in the ordinary and thus could use their own experiences as a source of inspiration. The ordinary, according to Veblen is odious to a leisure class and only the extraordinary has value.

It's a bet.

Wright-Mills took Veblen to task over social consequences and was right to do so but that doesn't detract from Veblen's achievement which shone a light on the wager aspect. He taught me to read too. I only thought I was reading before and I had been laughing at the wrong things. I wouldn't like to estimate how much money he saved me but it's a lot.

There's a new book out called Dangerous Nation : America and the World 1600--1898 by Robert Kagan which the ST reviewer said was "beautifully written" and that he "could not put it down". I'll be looking for that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 14 Nov, 2006 09:54 am
Quote:
I can't see what flaggelum and blood clotting has to do with this debate, nor variations on creation mythologies. There's billions of the former to look at and thousands of the latter.
Refer back to page one and the title of this thread. Its "dealers option"
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 14 Nov, 2006 09:57 am
UK UPDATE

Quote:
Society fights battle royal over creationism, global warming
(By Tom Hundley, Chicago Tribune, November 14, 2006)

LONDON - When Christopher Wren, Robert Boyle and other deep thinkers of the day founded the Royal Society in 1660, "science" as a field of knowledge did not yet exist. So they called their new organization the Royal Society of London for Improving of Natural Knowledge.

The idea, according to Stephen Cox, the Society's current executive secretary, was "to replace unsound thinking about the world with knowledge based on observation and experimentation."

The Royal Society quickly became the embodiment of the Enlightenment, and over the centuries its greatest minds - from Newton and Darwin in the 18th and 19th centuries to Crick and Watson in the 20th - have profoundly changed the way we look at the world.

These days, the Society occupies a row of stately mansions overlooking London's St. James' Park. The buildings once housed the Prussian Legation and later became the Third Reich's embassy.

The society's library is open to the public, but the best stuff is stashed away in the basement archives: Newton's telescope, his death mask, a lock of his hair and some wooden rulers supposedly made from the apple tree that provided Newton with his eureka moment.

The Royal Society can still boast of being on science's cutting edge, but in recent months it has found itself fighting an unexpected rear-guard battle against what is considers "unsound thinking" and bad science - most notably on the part of big oil companies that dispute climate change, and proponents of creationism and intelligent design who question Darwin's theory of evolution.

Given Darwin's close historical ties with the Royal Society, it is easy to understand why the organization feels compelled to come to his defense.

"Darwin's contribution to the way we see the world is one of history's great steps forward," said Cox, a former diplomat who described intelligent design, which holds that living creatures must be the work of an intelligent designer (i.e., a Creator), as a "movement," not a science.

"It has to be contested because it just cannot be sustained by the evidence we have about the world," said Cox.

Earlier this year, at a lecture sponsored by the Royal Society, Steve Jones, the British geneticist, noted that more than half of all Americans, including President Bush, believe in some from of creationism, and that creationism was "beginning to find a significant toehold in the UK."

Jones called this a "step back from rationality." As in the U.S., main proponents of creationism are religious fundamentalists. In Britain's case, however, the fundamentalists tend to be Muslims rather than Christians.

Earlier this year, Muslim medical students at one London university caused a stir when they distributed leaflets challenging Darwin's theory and citing a verse from the Quran that says God created every animal from water.

Last November, Robert May, a zoologist, physicist and mathematician, used his valedictory address as the Royal Society's outgoing president to warn that the core values of science were "under serious threat from resurgent fundamentalism, West and East."

"The really sad thing," May said, "is that none of these fundamentalist beliefs are grounded on, or representative of, the mainstream religions they profess to serve. Fundamentalist Christianity is widely considered as irrelevant to modern theology as it is to modern science. The extremist views and acts of fundamentalist Islam find little sanction in the Quran."

The Royal Society has lately become embroiled in a public dispute with Exxon Mobil over the oil giant's funding of various organizations that attempt to cast doubt on the science of climate change.

Environmental groups have long complained that Exxon Mobil lags its competitors in investing in alternative energy development while channeling millions into "think tanks" and "experts" who claim global warming is a myth.

At a meeting with the Royal Society in July, Exxon Mobil officials said it would stop funding these activities.

But in a letter to Exxon Mobil a few weeks ago, the Society asked when the corporation planned to carry out its pledge. It also asked for a list of the organizations that have been receiving funding so that it could "work out which of these have been similarly providing inaccurate and misleading information to the public."

"To which they have never replied," said Cox.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:09 am
fm wrote-

Quote:
Refer back to page one and the title of this thread. Its "dealers option"

Right- read page 1. So?

wande quoted-

Quote:
Jones called this a "step back from rationality."

Jones being the authority on what is rational of course.
0 Replies

Mathos

Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:15 pm
Could anybody advise me of the population count in the USA for 'Native Americans' ie the 'Red Indian?'

I know I can obtain the information elsewhere, but let's face it the odd variation gives a light interval, in a manner of speaking.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:35 pm
Mathos wrote:
Could anybody advise me of the population count in the USA for 'Native Americans' ie the 'Red Indian?'

Approximately 4.5 Million, or roughly 1.5% of the US population
0 Replies

Mathos

Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:56 pm
Thanks Timber!
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 14 Nov, 2006 04:29 pm
That was easy.

What is light?
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:53 pm
what is the speed of dark?
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:31 pm
Dark is the absence of light and thus life. As only a life form could possibly have an interest in the concept of speed the question is ridiculous.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:37 pm
why so? Doesnt dark begin where light ends? if one shuts off a light, surely darkness has its own speed of overtaking the light? no?

Like if youre driving at the speed of light and you turn on your headlights, does anything happen?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Tue 14 Nov, 2006 07:53 pm
Y'all come........hint hint, Spendi, Wande, Farmerman and all......

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43309&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=2810
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 15 Nov, 2006 09:27 am
KANSAS UPDATE

Quote:
Head of class a real possibility
(By Chris Moon, The Topeka Capital-Journal, November 15, 2006)

Topeka's Bill Wagnon appears poised to jump from the vocal minority to the bearer of the gavel on the Kansas State Board of Education.
The 10-year veteran of the state school board is expected to be elected chairman of the panel when its new six-member moderate majority takes control in January.

"I would like to be chairman," Wagnon said before Tuesday's board meeting, one of the last under conservative leadership. "I've got 10 years' experience of working toward the improvement of schools."

The 2006 election cycle was tough on the board's conservative majority as it struggled to overcome a backlash from moderate and liberals against decisions to include criticism of evolution in the state's science standards and hire a nontraditional state education commissioner.

During the Republican primary election, the conservatives' 6-4 majority on the board flipped to a 6-4 moderate majority.

Moderate control of the panel virtually is guaranteed to undo the science changes and end the short-lived education department career of Bob Corkins. The education commissioner is expected to be fired -- if he doesn't resign first -- during the first meeting of the new board in January, or possibly soon after.

But the first step for the board in January is to elect a chairman who will hold sway over the board's agenda and control the timetable for the undoing of conservative initiatives.

Conservative Steve Abrams, R-Arkansas City, has served as chairman for the past two years.

But Democrat Janet Waugh, a member of the new moderate majority, said she would nominate Wagnon, who appears to be the only moderate to be interested in the job.

"Bill's got a lot of experience and a lot of background on the board," said Waugh, of Kansas City. "He's been on the majority, the minority and on the board when it's been split. His background will serve him well."

Wagnon was first elected to the board in 1996 and re-elected in 2000 and 2004. He already has said he won't seek re-election in 2008.

A Washburn University history professor, Wagnon never has served as chairman of the board, but during the past two years he has been one of the most vocal members of the board's moderate minority.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 15 Nov, 2006 09:35 am
fm wrote-

Quote:
Like if youre driving at the speed of light and you turn on your headlights, does anything happen?

Doesn't it depend on whether the observer is subject to the laws of physics or not and whether the "you", the car, the action and the headlights can properly be said to remain what pre-digested science defines them as at the speed of light.

I remember discussing the subject at school and I think we concluded that such questions were a route to madness and went off to play cricket.

How many discreet frequencies of light are contained within the whole EM spectrum at any one instant if a super prism is imagined to exist to refract them onto photographic plates and could those be further analysed with a super-super prism?

And would any results be a function of the photographic plate rather than of light itself.

And if light is irreducibly complex? Then what?

Didn't Kelvin show that no light transmitter can be imagined which is not open to objections.

In discussing "origins" doesn't light come first and isn't the Faustian God always depicted as pure radiance and sometimes called the Numina?

Your playful question fm is a mere pedantic distraction and way beyond not only this thread's readers, Judge Jones, and Mr Behe but also the USSC and they are all you have outside of fighting.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 15 Nov, 2006 09:43 am
U.S. CONGRESS UPDATE:

H.R.2679
To amend the Revised Statutes of the United States to prevent the use of the legal system in a manner that extorts money from State and local governments, and the Federal Government, and inhibits such governments' constitutional actions under the first, tenth, and fourteenth amendments.

This bill, already approved by the House, was referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee on November 13, 2006.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 15 Nov, 2006 09:52 am
Lola wrote-

Quote:
Y'all come........hint hint, Spendi, Wande, Farmerman and all......

Count me out Lola. I refuse to submit my destiny to our tame border patrols never mind your Dep't of Homeland Security.

Just today the General Secretary of the United Nations has referred to the self-indulgent repression of the truth about global warming as "frightening" which places those who continue to engage in such repression, and you know the dangers of repression more than most Lola, as creatures from horror movies which are actually less frightening for being fakes.

Besides- I haven't got a passport and the rigmarole involved in getting one is off my radar.

Of course, I am ready to admit that he might not know what he is talking about but giving him the benefit of the doubt will enable me to save a couple of thousand dollars, prevent any disillusionment concerning my friends on A2K, allow me to continue enjoying my usual routines and, most important of all, obviate the need to pack a sodding suitcase and all the sordid thoughts that crowd the mind on such occasions.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 15 Nov, 2006 10:05 am
wande quoted-

Quote:
The 2006 election cycle was tough on the board's conservative majority as it struggled to overcome a backlash from moderate and liberals against decisions to include criticism of evolution in the state's science standards and hire a nontraditional state education commissioner.

So Mr Bush's decision to replace the Secretary of Defence was a complete waste of time if the voters were only responding to educational issues.

Is that right wande?

Have you any turnout figures yet?

And how many votes did the so called losers get?
0 Replies