Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 10:46 am
That information isn't of the slightest interest to me. I can't imagine what use it is to you to impart it.
0 Replies

patiodog

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 01:33 pm
Quote:
patiodog wrote-

Quote:
Oh how do I disagree with that.

Did you omit either a "?" or a "!" ? Is it a straightforward guileless question or a raised eyebrow. Should it read-
….

It was early in the morning and I had just a little time to get down what I wanted between slurping the morning coffee drug and checking on weather on sports on the tube.

Quote:
But patiodog is one in 300 million and may well be able to deal with the meaninglessness of everything which atheism necessarily entails. It goes way beyond finding out there is no Father Christmas. It goes to finding out there is no anything. No State, no Church and no Family. ...

But clearly there is State, Church, and Family, whether there is/are god(s) or no. My belief or disbelief in an entity of which I have no evidence has no bearing on the existence of social institutions I encounter on a daily basis.

Quote:
Evolution does imply that anything which gives pleasure is right. … If it feels right it is right or if you're balling a different chick every night you are superior scientifically and God must approve of you. …

No it doesn't. If there is any value judgment to be read into it at all, it's that we came about in the midst of a very long line of trying to come about some more - which, and particularly in a social species where altruism does have biological value for both the species and the individual, does not equate with pleasure at all. With our huge-headed babies and their ongoing needs for sustenance, protection, and education, the greater part of reproduction is decidedly lacking in pleasure. Some even manage to make the act of conception itself a chore, the poor bastards. Even in large mammalian species where the male's existence might be consistent with the scenario you've posited (spreading seed far and wide = success) the reality of competition denies most males the right to inseminate, and these species are doing just fine. The individuals aren't having fun, by and large, but the line carries on.

Quote:
I have known a number of atheistic scientists and as they get older they get more and more couldn't care less. …

Have you considered that this might reflect on the sort of people you know?

Quote:
What I think you are ignoring pd is the emotional need to fill the gap. ...

In my life, I am ignoring no such thing. On this thread, which is about the teaching of science in American primary and secondary schools - yes, I am ignoring that need. It's not the purview of the classroom in question, except perhaps (maybe, just maybe) as it might elucidate human behavior. Classes in literature, classes in psychology (where available) - these may and should address themselves to that very need.

Quote:
Because it is an unknowable gap whatever fills it is necessarily a fairy story. It's a question of selling the fairy stories. ... You are into Orwell in one step. And how does it undermine the gap however small it gets.

Or you can deny this need in the mass of the population which is tantamount to rendering them emotionless.

Shouldn't there be a question mark there? Wink (god help me, a winky thing)

I don't deny the population this need. I just hope that for the 50 minutes per day, 180+ days per year for the 13 years (give or take) that attendants of public schools are to be educated and/or indoctrinated by the state in matters scientific, the unknowable (not to be confused with the unknown) is not a preferred subject of conversation. I don't think this is too much to ask, especially as portions of our airwaves are filled coast-to-coast with characters offering to fill the gap with tried-and-true methods of interpretation of ancient text and various forms of chicanery. (As you've noted, TV likely has a more profound impact on the populace than public education anyway.)

Quote:
Quote:
The way I see the past tells me that filling the gap with the silly putty of received religion does more harm than good, and in preparing folks for the future I'd rather they catch a glimpse of the gap, regardless of whether it makes them curious or vertiginous.

That's a pretty big statement. The question of what caused the "harm", if such it was from our point of view; it has got us here, has been gone into up the thread and was left unresolved as it had to be. The use of "silly putty" is no use to your own case.

It's not a big statement at all. It's simply a report of my own reasoning and opinions. I make no claims to seeing objective truth here, but I've got to formulate opinions based on something, haven't I?

And I use silly putty because it amused me. But Heaven forfend I should be caustic or flippant on these hallowed boards...

Quote:
And you haven't thought of the possible numbers of the "vertiginous".

My allocation of digits only lets me count to 21, and rules of conduct in my society frequently limit me to 20 and sometimes only 10.

Quote:
"The carpet too is moving under you."

Or the social effects if it was a significant number.

But the vertigo comes from the nihilism not the gap. ...

I think you grossly overestimate the influence of the American teacher if you think that a firm adherence to the teaching of evolution (and not ID or creationism) in schools if you're going to link what goes on in the classroom to the spiritual needs and practices of American youth.

They're not there to work on their soul, and I doubt many kids step into their science classes looking for existential comfort. They're there to be introduced to various intellectual tools of contemporary society, one of which is biology. And just as they shouldn't be taught that there's voodoo inside the turbines at the Hoover Dam making electricity happen for the people of Las Vegas, they needn't learn that there must be a guiding hand making sure life turned out the way it did. Either may be the case. Neither can be demonstrated scientifically.

Quote:
Your second paragraph is phrased in a way which gives it little meaning except a restatement that you can take it and you don't see why others can't irrespective of how they have been brought up and the living structures of their communities.

But it is that emotional need you need to address. First I mean. It came first historically. There are other things.

Much of education is dedicated to giving children the means to address those needs. And, presumably, that is also a function of the family, the church, and whatever other social institutions are at their disposal. It is not the function of a science curriculum.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 01:49 pm
Association of Christian Schools v. University of California

The biology textbook involved in this case states the following in its introduction:
Quote:
The people who have prepared this book have tried consistently to put the Word of God first and science second. To the best of the author's knowledge, the conclusions drawn from observable facts that are presented in this book agree with the Scriptures. If a mistake has been made (which is probable since this book was prepared by humans) and at any point God's Word is not put first, the author apologizes.
Biology for Christian Schools (2nd Edition, BJU Press)
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 03:29 pm
wandel, while the book gives no ground to those opposed to its message, the UC case may not even be an establishemnt clause issue. If presented correcyly, the case should involve only one thing =equivalency and meeting the state mandated guidelines for college entry despite the educational leaning. After all, students freom Catholic parochial schools are granted entry.
I hope you can follow this case as it gets into discovery .
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 03:45 pm
Thanks, farmerman. Apparently the expression of a religious point of view in a textbook intended for private Christian schools is not a violation of anything. University of California needs to prove that the courses and textbooks do not meet normal requirements for proficiency in a subject. Otherwise, the university is guilty of religious discrimination.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 04:30 pm
patiodog wrote-

Quote:
But clearly there is State, Church, and Family, whether there is/are god(s) or no. My belief or disbelief in an entity of which I have no evidence has no bearing on the existence of social institutions I encounter on a daily basis.

Those are beliefs. There are certain materialistic intellectual positions that maintain that those institutions, like all institutions, are metaphysical concepts to the free mind and those in them care not a jot what anybody thinks of them for that. They would see caring what anybody thought as a restriction of their artistic and scientific freedom. They are, of course, difficult to get along with which is why they congregate together, usually in certain parts of major cities. But they do push the boundaries back. The Dedalus character rejects Church and State but still feels the pull of family but not enough to put himself out for his hungry siblings in one of the most touching scenes in all literature (De Quincey level) at a street bookstall. Joyce couldn't put family down like Frank Harris.

That's all of the post I've read so far but you haven't cleared up that ambiguity despite me understanding the reason for it.

I'll read the rest tomorrow, or after the pub if smorgsie has gone to bed to get into the aforementioned position. Asleep I mean.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 05:30 pm
are you mildly buzzed now spendi? Im gonna say yes.
0 Replies

patiodog

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 05:44 pm
To simplify and summarize: I would never advocate taking away someone's freedom to reject science any more than I would make an Amish man drive a bus. I just don't want public schools to teach nonscience and claim that it is science.

That's it. That's all. Nothing else.

I'd rather do the florid prose thing, though.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:07 pm
patiodog wrote-

Quote:
I just don't want public schools to teach nonscience and claim that it is science.

Science is about making things. One of the things is society. If teaching bullshit makes better societies, which is possible if a presumption that all bullshit is the same is eschewed, then it becomes a matter of a hierarchy of the scientific disciplines. Tin openers have been perfected. Societies haven't.

Obviously short-pants disciplines will seek to break all the windows in the long-pants disciplines, such as theology, but that is just the way the world is. The dialectic. Which I can define but perhaps it would be polite to not do. Let's say it is an ongoing rearguard action by the presbyterians to the challenge up upthrusting youth for now.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:20 pm
spendius wrote:
patiodog wrote-

Quote:
I just don't want public schools to teach nonscience and claim that it is science.

Science is about making things. One of the things is society. If teaching bullshit makes better societies, which is possible if a presumption that all bullshit is the same is eschewed, then it becomes a matter of a hierarchy of the scientific disciplines. Tin openers have been perfected. Societies haven't.

Obviously short-pants disciplines will seek to break all the windows in the long-pants disciplines, such as theology, but that is just the way the world is. The dialectic. Which I can define but perhaps it would be polite to not do. Let's say it is an ongoing rearguard action by the presbyterians to the challenge up upthrusting youth for now.
In what way is theology a discipline at all? Its complete junk, just made up as they go along. Also dangerous rubbish because it opens the door for the extremists. Filling up childrens' minds with such nonsense is child abuse and merits a long prison sentence. And doing so with taxpayers money is outrageous.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:28 pm
Quote:
Obviously short-pants disciplines will seek to break all the windows in the long-pants disciplines, such as theology, but that is just the way the world is

I dont see any "short pants" disciplines seeking to insert their subjects into the halls of learning of the "long pants" disciplines. QUite the opposite. The religions are afraid of becoming so marginalized that they will be left over like some neolithic religious ruins. All ogum, mumbo jumbo and no magic. So, in oprder to stem the inevitable, they wish to create a benevolent force to run all the natural world and teach that crap to the malleable minds of the young

Your only hope is to inculcate the third world, there is voodoo's last frontier.

per omnia saecula saecularem, mooga booga.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:35 pm
spendius wrote:

Science is about making things.

Poppycock. Science isn't about "making things" at all, spendi - its about discovering and understanding things. If anything, its about taking things apart to see why and how they are and do as they are and do. I can understand, however, why and how that might be a concept beyond the grasp of those as who are functionally ignorant of science.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:58 pm
spendi, Make a hard copy of timber's response, and tack it on your forehead. LOL
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:00 pm
LOL is right for once.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:08 pm
timber wrote-

Quote:
Science isn't about "making things" at all, spendi - its about discovering and understanding things. If anything, its about taking things apart to see why and how they are and do as they are and do.

That's okay with bat fossils, sedimentary rock formations and snowflakes, atoms even,but just try it with the ladies who are a bit more important.

It is as if those other things are a form of displacement therapy utilised by those who feel a loss of control with anything they can't understand.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:11 pm
Somewhere in the little land of England a village is missing something .
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:19 pm
A lot of them actually now that city folk have been pricing locals out of the property market due to an obviously felt dissatisfaction with city life and an attraction to something they can't conceive of and which will forever elude them no matter how hard they try. The Dover story I suspect.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:19 pm
farmerman, That was a knee slapper for sure! LOL
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:26 pm
c.i.-

Can you not do a 200 worder which has some relevance to the thread? I have subjects backed up in the sidings for dozens of them.

No doubt fm feels very reassured by you claque noise. Nero paid for that stuff.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 1 Nov, 2006 01:59 pm
Steve wrote-

Quote:
In what way is theology a discipline at all? Its complete junk, just made up as they go along. Also dangerous rubbish because it opens the door for the extremists. Filling up childrens' minds with such nonsense is child abuse and merits a long prison sentence. And doing so with taxpayers money is outrageous.

That's a bit intemperate Steve.

Some people think having children at all is child abuse. Some people think any education, especially compulsory education, is child abuse. Some people think TV is child abuse.

Not that I think those things but they have made a case for their positions.

You haven't bothered. You have contented yourself with asserting it. Who is due the long prison sentences? The PM. Mr Bush. The hierarchy and congregation of all our churches. Those who sing hymns.

How many jails are you allowing for?

Of course theology is a discipline. A tough one too. It is about how to manage the multifarious forces in society. The human beings who have been landed in this stinkhole by their doting parents. Possibly to be called up in the event of serious hostilities. What alternative is there to a continuous theological debate?

What you have said is a component of theological debate. Not very disciplined I'll admit. It would make no headway couched in the terms you have put it.

What are you suggesting in it's place. A junta of scientists? One of businessmen? An absolute monarchy? Big Brother? Steve's Law?

They have to make it up as they go along. What other way is there?
0 Replies