Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

patiodog

Mon 30 Oct, 2006 04:46 pm
Quote:
Your comment, "...to be sure -- but, then, evolution isn't a science of ultimate origins" is not quite true.

I must have missed the bit in my schooling where the radiotelescope is a basic tool of the biologist.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 30 Oct, 2006 06:45 pm
c.i. wrote-

Quote:
PD, You know full well we're in agreement in most things, and spendi's interjection about my not reading your post is his way of trying to create a division between us. His attempts are elementary at best.

You just can't stop inventing self flattering assertions c.i. can you?

There is a gulf between you and pd (he chooses small case- you can't even read that) wider than that between the Grand Coolie Dam and the Capitol. I didn't or need to create it.

I aim at being elementary.

Quote:
Scientists are continually looking at other planets and outer space to see if they can find evidence about earth's origins.

Yeah- on $100 grand a year and not only not getting anywhere, apart from the pretty pictures, but no hope of ever getting anywhere and probably on 2 hour days 3 days a week up some mountain shagging their research assistants and smoking altitude ganga.

If they are not it is proof they are insane.

Naturally their reports are written to impress the saps who think they are scientific by having skimmed through them in between bouts of self indulgence and planet screwing.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 30 Oct, 2006 07:00 pm
Stardust Memories: Seeking our Origins in Cosmic Particles
By Dave Dooling
Special to SPACE.com

posted: 07:00 am ET
02 August 2000

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. -- Invisible to the naked eye but often a hindrance to far-seeking astronomers, cosmic dust is bountiful, elusive and possibly the key to our knowledge of how stars, planets and even life began in the universe.

In recent years, space scientists have expanded their interest from monitoring the dust between distant stars and galaxies to that surrounding the smaller bodies in our solar system.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 30 Oct, 2006 07:10 pm
Sounds great c.i.

It might well "possibly" be the key "to our knowledge of how stars, planets and even life began in the universe and it might "possibly" not be.

I would bet on the latter at 10 gets you 1. Anytime. 20 even.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 30 Oct, 2006 08:10 pm
spendi, There are enough scientists interested in seeking the answers to the origin of life and our planet. Your offered bet is misplaced, because you wish them to fail.

astrobiology.arc.nasa.gov/roadmap/g1.html
0 Replies

real life

Mon 30 Oct, 2006 09:08 pm
wandeljw wrote:
spendi,

The University of California case will definitely be interesting to follow. It is now at the level of the federal district court. Unlike Dover, there will definitely be an appeal at the United States Court of Appeals level. If the appeals decision is fought by either party, the case will then go to the United States Supreme Court.

It will likely lose in federal court. I would be very surprised if the school association were to win.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 30 Oct, 2006 09:19 pm
Quote:
It will likely lose in federal court. I would be very surprised if the school association were to win.
. Do you say that on the suspicion that their case is meritless or because you ultimately want it in the USSC? If its the latter then you should send your money to someone whos probably already beginning to set up a warchest.

This is one area where the establishement clause is not the core, its more about speech. This is THE case where I feel your side has some chance. When you look at it its purely based upon setting rules of what is allowed as speech despite being able to demonstrate proficiency in attainment of standards.

Im not familiar with the Calif Constitution. In the Dover case there were several areas of state constitutional law that Judge Jones also ruled in favor of Kitzmiller.
0 Replies

real life

Mon 30 Oct, 2006 09:50 pm
farmerman wrote:
Quote:
. Do you say that on the suspicion that their case is meritless or because you ultimately want it in the USSC? If its the latter then you should send your money to someone whos probably already beginning to set up a warchest.

This is one area where the establishement clause is not the core, its more about speech. This is THE case where I feel your side has some chance. When you look at it its purely based upon setting rules of what is allowed as speech despite being able to demonstrate proficiency in attainment of standards.

Im not familiar with the Calif Constitution. In the Dover case there were several areas of state constitutional law that Judge Jones also ruled in favor of Kitzmiller.

If it's to be heard in federal courts of the 9th circuit, THE most liberal in the country, then it has little chance of being heard on the merits. The 9th circuit judges habitually take pride in advancing liberal positions to the exclusion of the law.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 30 Oct, 2006 10:16 pm
Everybody appeals the 9th Circuit. So, then what youre saying is that you hope to see this in the Supreme Court because of the "leaning" of the 9th circuit.

So do I, because this goes beyond mere biology, it includes many areas of educational information that we normally assume are settled issues.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 04:40 am
fm wrote-

Quote:
So do I, because this goes beyond mere biology, it includes many areas of educational information that we normally assume are settled issues.

There you go fm. I told you all that stuff about fossils and deposits etc etc etc was a waste of time.

It's about the here and now. It's about money and power and customs and traditions and politics and personalities. Obviously. 100% social consequences.

Nothing is ever settled when new generations come up against the fuddy-duddies on the established gravy train.

I agree with patiodog. I don't mind the gap. I don't just not mind it. It is the source of imagination which is the motor of science and art. I think atheism is anti-science, anti-art and anti-progress. Dawkins only has to start a sentence and the paucity of imagination is immediately apparent. Long live the gap. I told you about the asymptote of knowledge (the gap) in one of my first posts on this thread. It is unfillable.

Is that proof I'm not a contrarian. That was an assertion. A bullying by numbers assertion. You would be a contrarian to fundamentalists. And to the leadership of both our countries and a large majority of our populations. I'm a boring, complacent conservative totally opposed to boat-rocking at faster than 3% a year so everybody's vertigo has time to adjust. (see Relationship threads for going too fast).

Anyway- what's the % of non-whites in California and any future projections you know of? That's the likely energy source it seems to me.
Pure politics.

You misused the word contrarian subjectively. Damaged the language in my view for personal reasons.
0 Replies

patiodog

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:41 am
Quote:
I think atheism is anti-science, anti-art and anti-progress.

Oh how do I disagree with that. It's filling the gap with somebody else's fairy tales and pretending that it's not even there that's anathema to all of these, and especially to science. You yourself acknowledge that religion is a tool for complacency (though you think this to a good thing). The way I see the past tells me that filling the gap with the silly putty of received religion does more harm than good, and in preparing folks for the future I'd rather they catch a glimpse of the gap, regardless of whether it makes them curious or vertiginous.

You talk about 3% changes in doctrine (metaphorically speaking, of course), but the lifting of the veil on Christianity (which, of course, is behind the political movement at the heart of this thread, whatever the honest philosophical implications of ID may be) has been going on for centuries. However slowly you draw it back, some folks are going to feel themselves suddenly exposed as the naked light of a vast and uncaring cosmos comes trickling down on them and they'll piss and moan about it. Which is fine. But everyone (including future generations) should not be held prisoner by their fear.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:54 am
Quote:

But Robert Tyler, who represents the Christian schools, said UC has been turning down Christian school courses at the same time it has accepted secular school courses based on viewpoints such as feminism or Buddhism or ''the influence of nearly every imaginable group on history'' except Christians.

The Christian schools assert they want to use the disapproved texts only as supplementary materials, to deepen the education their students get from standard texts.

For example, said Tyler, to explain the concept of separation of church and state, a standard U.S. government text might discuss the Supreme Court's 1952 pro-church decision in Zorach v. Clason.

A Christian text might go back to the origin of the phrase in Thomas Jefferson's 1802 letter to the Danbury (Connecticut) Baptist Association, which was concerned that a larger denomination might establish a national church.

The class then might consider how a national church would work, ''to give students a better understanding and, frankly, a more diverse understanding,'' Tyler said.
[/QUOTE

RL ]

Notice how the Christian spokesperson asserts that their chosen way sounds actually broader in scope and is therefore given to seem to represent a more diverse view for the students.I believe otherwise and the court case may shed some directional authority should it proceed to the SUpremes. This would be a nice test for the professed "Strict Constructionist" views of Alito and Roberts since Tyler feels that the Danbury Baptist letter by Jefferson was not as we have historically interpretetd it but was something broader. In the same series of letters Jefferson said that the framers considered adding the word "Jesus Christ" to the preamble but backed off because they " meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its (the Constitutions) protection, the Jew and the Gentile, theChristian and the Mohammedan, the Hindoo (sic) and the Infidel of every denomination" (from Jefferson's AUtobiography 1821).

I anticipate that this will be a much more and better thought out and carefully scripted case for the SchoolGroup, because , should they lose, it pretty much sounds the death knell for the mantra of the Religious right. This is the exact case that you want, better not screw it up like they did Dover.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 09:46 am
real life wrote:

The Association of Christian Schools would only need to prove that the textbooks and courses in question "adequately cover the subject matter". The university can not refuse to give credit for courses taught at Christian schools merely on the basis that the courses include a religious viewpoint.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 09:48 am
patiodog wrote-

Quote:
Oh how do I disagree with that.

Did you omit either a "?" or a "!" ? Is it a straightforward guileless question or a raised eyebrow. Should it read-

Quote:
Oh how I disagree with that ! or Oh how I do disagree with that.!!

which is the more likely to me. but it could mean-

Quote:
Oh-I feel like disagreeing with that but how do I go about it because as an atheist I don't like someone saying I'm anti science, anti art and anti progress because I'm for those things.

But patiodog is one in 300 million and may well be able to deal with the meaninglessness of everything which atheism necessarily entails. It goes way beyond finding out there is no Father Christmas. It goes to finding out there is no anything. No State, no Church and no Family. Just the self face to face with the other and only the pleasure/pain principle for guidance. La Mettrie's position and more emphatically De Sade's. Minderbinder's too. And Jokerman. Which have been mentioned on here but well steered clear of by the critical thinkers.

Evolution does imply that anything which gives pleasure is right. Ordained even. Sanctified by scientific truth. Mailer has it somewhere. If it feels right it is right or if you're balling a different chick every night you are superior scientifically and God must approve of you. That sort of thing. You could turn it round of course.

I have known a number of atheistic scientists and as they get older they get more and more couldn't care less. Two drank themselves to death in their fifties. Dylan has it- "Nothing really matters much, it's doom alone that counts." Which is from before SAVED. Joyce has it in Stephen Dedalus. Flaubert is acidic. He scoffs at every known religious belief on one page of Salammbo but not at the gap. Crying or Very sad He gets poetic on the gap. Warhol has it in the late self portraits. He's a beast. Or you the viewer are to be precise.

What I think you are ignoring pd is the emotional need to fill the gap. You will notice that in Sci-Fi movies the scientific atheist is always portrayed as emotionless. The need exists. It isn't scientific to deny it.
The need will be catered for.

Wouldn't a capitalist society approve of the need being catered for? Like with food and other things that satisfy a need.

Because it is an unknowable gap whatever fills it is necessarily a fairy story. It's a question of selling the fairy stories. Plausibility, coherence and most important of all the service of the secular agenda of running a society. Science has undermined plenty of the first two but how does it undermine the last one without offering policies. As TV may well be a more important educational medium than schools isn't the argument going to have to take TV in as well and other sources. You are into Orwell in one step. And how does it undermine the gap however small it gets.

Or you can deny this need in the mass of the population which is tantamount to rendering them emotionless. Simply strategists. But most cynical strategies depend on the emotional need in the other.

Two strategists are a different matter. Both knowing each other. There's a book on that- Dangerous Liasons by Choderos de Laclos.

Quote:
The way I see the past tells me that filling the gap with the silly putty of received religion does more harm than good, and in preparing folks for the future I'd rather they catch a glimpse of the gap, regardless of whether it makes them curious or vertiginous.

That's a pretty big statement. The question of what caused the "harm", if such it was from our point of view; it has got us here, has been gone into up the thread and was left unresolved as it had to be. The use of "silly putty" is no use to your own case.

And you haven't thought of the possible numbers of the "vertiginous".

"The carpet too is moving under you."

Or the social effects if it was a significant number.

But the vertigo comes from the nihilism not the gap. The gap can be rendered smooth by emollient rhetoricians. Tailored religions. A class, status and economic suiting like clothes shops. One can see an argument for Genesis there for a time when life for the masses was nasty, brutish and short and before science arrived.

Your second paragraph is phrased in a way which gives it little meaning except a restatement that you can take it and you don't see why others can't irrespective of how they have been brought up and the living structures of their communities.

But it is that emotional need you need to address. First I mean. It came first historically. There are other things.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 09:49 am
wandel wrote: The Association of Christian Schools would only need to prove that the textbooks and courses in question "adequately cover the subject matter". The university can not refuse to give credit for courses taught at Christian schools merely on the basis that the courses include a religious viewpoint.

Seems to me, this is gonna open up a can of worms.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 09:54 am
Apologies for the sobbing fissog. Ignore it. It wasn't intended and the technics have prevented my editing it.

My finger must have inadvertently strayed.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 09:56 am
c.i. wrote-

Quote:
Seems to me, this is gonna open up a can of worms.

It always was. That's why I could never understand your casual dismissal of the other side with bald and trite assertions.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 10:01 am
spendi, You don't even dignify bald and trite. Get over yourself.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 10:16 am
Like that. Completely pointless.

Write a post like my last one- I might take you more seriously. Any silly sod can bark.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 31 Oct, 2006 10:40 am
spendi, I've got a clue for you; I never take you seriously.
0 Replies