Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

rosborne979

Tue 10 Oct, 2006 04:08 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Hey, that was weird, my most recent post appeared several posts earlier than when I posted it. It actually appeared before the post from Timber which I quoted. (I wonder where this one will go...)

Uh oh, it happened again.

Hey Wand, I think your thread got too large and it's starting to crack the database Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 10 Oct, 2006 04:48 pm
Nick Not A Lot Of Fun wrote-

Quote:
I see the issue has been resolved as intelligent design just being a load of ****. Onto the next question!

Well go on then Nick. See if you can start a thread as good as wande's.

Don't just sit in the bleachers carping. Grannies do that.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 10 Oct, 2006 05:03 pm
Don't panic ros.

I know you anti-IDers have difficulty coping with anything you can't keep under control but it's obviously only a bit of a glitch in the kit probably due to lightning or something.

I bet you're murder when the traffic lights go wonky.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 10 Oct, 2006 05:10 pm
clipping a bit from Timbers post
Quote:
"The intent of the board needs to be very clear," said board member John Austin, an Ann Arbor Democrat. "Evolution is not under stress. It is not untested science."
Ill bet that gives the anti-science lobby (Creationists and IDers) the fits.Another one down for the IDers. They may soon have to make up some other "reality"
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 10 Oct, 2006 05:14 pm
ros
Quote:
Uh oh, it happened again.
. I wasnt being allowed on most of the day because The time I was recording on the A2k clock was actually ahead of the real GMT. So I was getting a prompt that said "You cannot post so soon after your last post. WAit a few minutes and try again"

I was in another dimension of space and time. I was in SPENDIS WORLD. Cool And, I didnt need to lay out any cash for any beverages or powders.
0 Replies

real life

Tue 10 Oct, 2006 08:45 pm
farmerman wrote:
clipping a bit from Timbers post
Quote:
"The intent of the board needs to be very clear," said board member John Austin, an Ann Arbor Democrat. "Evolution is not under stress. It is not untested science."
Ill bet that gives the anti-science lobby (Creationists and IDers) the fits.Another one down for the IDers. They may soon have to make up some other "reality"

Funny.

If a politician who was supportive of ID/creation were to make a statement, then all we would hear is 'what scientific qualifications does HE have to make a pronouncement like that?'

But since it comes from a pro-evolution politician, nobody bats an eye.

The press will spill ink for him like there's no tomorrow, and evolutionists will simply nod their heads in unison, and say Amen.

Mr Austin's scientific qualifications are as follows:

from http://www.gendems.com/modules/articles/article.php?id=12

Quote:
D-Ann Arbor, Term Expires 1/1/2009
Mr. Austin was elected in 2000. He is a Senior Partner with Public Policy Associates, a research and consulting firm based in Lansing. Mr. Austin holds a Master of Public Administration from Harvard's Kennedy School of Government and a Bachelor of Arts from Swarthmore College in Economics and Political Science.

from http://www.michigandaily.com/media/storage/paper851/news/2002/04/11/News/Ann-Arbor.Native.Plans.For.Secretary.Of.State.Campaign-1410977.shtml?norewrite200610102241&sourcedomain=www.michigandaily.com

Quote:
State Board of Education member John Austin plans to kick off his campaign for Michigan secretary of state tomorrow.

Austin, a Democrat from Ann Arbor, was elected to the state board in 2000.

He has served as an assistant chairman for the Michigan Democratic Party and as a consultant with the Public Policy Associates of Lansing.

Austin also ran for secretary of state in 1998 but lost the Democratic nomination to state Rep. Mary Lou Parks.

Parks lost the election to Secretary of State Candice Miller, who can't run this year because of term limits.

"We have tremendous opportunities and need to make big changes," Austin said yesterday. "That's the agenda I'm going to be pushing."

Austin already faces a challenger for the Democratic nomination. Detroit attorney Melvin "Butch" Hollowell announced his candidacy for secretary of state in February.

Both Austin and Hollowell say they will place campaign finance reform and election reform as their top priorities.

But there is at least one big difference between the two candidates: The Democratic candidates they're backing in the governor's race. Austin supports U.S. Rep. David Bonior, while Hollowell is a close friend of Attorney General Jennifer Granholm.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Tue 10 Oct, 2006 08:54 pm
http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/oese/Straw_Man_Kit.JPG
0 Replies

real life

Tue 10 Oct, 2006 11:08 pm
Nice pic, timber. Looks like you've lost weight. (I didn't know you were running for office.)
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 11 Oct, 2006 06:21 am
Gee- are we back to the straw man again.

The real empty foundation is the complacent and self-flattering notion that what goes on in science classrooms is actually science. It's entertainment. And not for the kids either. It's for the adults posturing around it attempting to feel better about themselves.

Everybody of significance knows that. It's just a vast pretence.

Any fool can talk about science in the classroom in the abstract. Put a proper scientist in charge of marking exam papers and 99%, at best, will fail. They are passed for political and self-promotion reasons.

All that lot in the pub have had years of science lessons given to them by a bunch of dimwit teachers who bolt if real science comes anywhere near them. Their principles are conditioned by their bellies.

Here's a classic-

Quote:
"We have tremendous opportunities and need to make big changes," Austin said yesterday. "That's the agenda I'm going to be pushing."

Pure hogwash. Without mitigation. Assumes a stupid audience.
0 Replies

Mathos

Wed 11 Oct, 2006 06:33 am
The Spendi lad is doing well here!

Sock it to 'em Spendi.................. :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Wed 11 Oct, 2006 07:52 am
spendius wrote:
Gee- are we back to the straw man again.

I see you're doing your part.

Quote:
The real empty foundation is the complacent and self-flattering notion that what goes on in science classrooms is actually science. It's entertainment. And not for the kids either. It's for the adults posturing around it attempting to feel better about themselves.

Everybody of significance knows that. It's just a vast pretence.

There's your lead-off straw man - what "goes on in science classrooms is neither science nor entertainment, it is education, and while it specifically is ]i]FOR[/i] the kids, it isn't ABOUT the kids, or about making anyone "feel better about themselves, its about the future. What is demonstated in you conclusion, that "Everybody of significance knows that. It's just a vast pretence." must be considered either woeful ignorance or willing mendacity on the part of its presenter.

As for the rest of your most recent post, further attention paid to that twaddle conveys to it merit undeserving. I proceed accordingly.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 11 Oct, 2006 08:42 am
OHIO UPDATE

Quote:
State education board drops evolution debate
(Catherine Candisky, THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH, October 11, 2006)

Eight months after scrapping curriculum guidelines that critics feared would open the schoolhouse door to creationism, the State Board of Education yesterday pulled the plug on its seemingly incessant debate over Darwin's theory of evolution.

The board voted 14-3 to "discharge" a subcommittee that had been keeping the issue alive.

Martha Wise, a board member from Avon, said she pushed to end the discussion because the issue had become a lightning rod for debate and had long overshadowed the work of the board.

"It was time to move on," she said. But that doesn't mean that a new board might not feel differently, she added.

The 19-member board includes 11 elected members and eight appointed by the governor. Five seats are up for election Nov. 7, and the governor will fill four more when those terms expire this year.

Michael Cochran, co-chairman of the subcommittee and Franklin County's representative on the board, vowed to keep the issue alive.

"I will guarantee you that as long as I am chair of the committee, it's gonna be on the agenda next month," the Blacklick pastor and lawyer told his colleagues.

Joining Cochran to vote against Wise's motion were board President Sue West- endorf, of Bowling Green, and Emerson Ross, of Toledo.

Board member Deborah Owens Fink, of Richfield, who like Cochran has long argued that critics are wrong to assume that "critical analysis" of evolution was a thinly veiled effort to inject religion into the classroom, left the board meeting before yesterday's vote.

In February, the board voted 11-4 to eliminate portions of curriculum guidelines for 10 th-grade biology and an accompanying lesson plan that called for critical analysis of evolution. The move came after a federal judge ruled that a similar curriculum used in a Pennsylvania school district was unconstitutional.

At the time, the board also directed a subcommittee cochaired by Cochran to determine whether a replacement lesson was necessary.

Such a proposal never surfaced. A majority on the committee appeared to favor doing nothing more to the standards. Still, behind-the-scenes discussion by some board members kept the issue alive, drawing national attention and thousands of e-mails from critics who feared another effort to undermine the teaching of evolution by injecting religion into the science classroom.

Patricia Princehouse, a biology professor at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, yesterday applauded the board action.

"I'm deeply impressed by the leadership and courage of the board with making a clean break from creationism," she said.

(thanks for posting the michigan update, timber!)
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 11 Oct, 2006 10:59 am
timber wrote-

Quote:
There's your lead-off straw man - what "goes on in science classrooms is neither science nor entertainment, it is education, and while it specifically is ]i]FOR[/i] the kids, it isn't ABOUT the kids, or about making anyone "feel better about themselves, its about the future.

That's one long comforting and complacent assertion. The anti-ID side have totally ignored the classroom and the community right down the whole length of this thread. They do not say what they mean about anything. It's just entertainment and political posturing. They wouldn't go near evolution done properly.

Quote:
What is demonstated in you conclusion, that "Everybody of significance knows that. It's just a vast pretence." must be considered either woeful ignorance or willing mendacity on the part of its presenter.

I saw a 20 minute debate between two scientists and the newsreader on this very issue and their conclusion was identical to mine and I have heard it expressed many times in the past by other eminent scientists. They suggested that our future scientists would have to be imported. Mr Chris Woodhead (ex-Chief Inspector of Schools) hardly ever writes about anything else.

It is woeful alright. The general population of both our countries is scientifically illiterate.

And a few assertions (unscientific to the core) won't alter that.

What sort of future have you got in mind. Even "the future" is just an abstract fine sounding phrase.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 11 Oct, 2006 11:26 am
wande quoted-

Quote:
Martha Wise, a board member from Avon, said she pushed to end the discussion because the issue had become a lightning rod for debate and had long overshadowed the work of the board.

Isn't "discussion" another word for "debate". Which is to say that Ms Wise is pushing to end the debate because it's a lightning rod to debate. Wonderful.

She must think you are all morons.

And Mr Cochran doesn't seem persuaded. And he's a co-chairman and is supported by the board President.

What does-

Quote:
eliminate portions of curriculum guidelines

actually mean? Which portions? Are the portions significant?

And now they don't want to know about-

Quote:
critical analysis of evolution.

which is pretty unscientific at best.

Quote:
from critics who feared

Some people fear spiders and going out after dark. Since when does the fears of a few activists, who get attention from their supposed fears, come to determine national education policy. Plenty of people fear monogamy and with plenty of scientific evidence to back them up.

Quote:
"I'm deeply impressed by the leadership and courage of the board with making a clean break from creationism," she said.

I can't object to that personally but Creationism is a part of some communities' traditions and lifestyles and thus a factor in their stability.

Two senior Government ministers here went out of their way recently to try to stem what they said is a rising tide of anti-Americanism by which one presumes they mean in elite circles.

Maybe it is such things as -

Quote:
It's just a vast pretence." must be considered either woeful ignorance or willing mendacity on the part of its presenter.

that is contributing to the problem. "Must" eh? Directives from on high.

Have you all got that dear readers? You "must" consider my remark either woeful or willed mendacity. No choice. Must means must in all circumstances.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 11 Oct, 2006 11:33 am
This appeared on another thread earlier-

Quote:
I studied French for 3 years but can't speak a lick.

from an American who I am too discreet to name.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Thu 12 Oct, 2006 07:36 pm
A related thread
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:33 am
CANADA UPDATE

Quote:
Quebec ignoring illegal evangelical schools
(CBC News, October 12, 2006)

Quebec has quietly tolerated evangelical schools that are not recognized by and do not have permits from the province's Ministry of Education.

That leaves as many as 4,000 current students without provincially recognized diplomas if and when they graduate from the schools, Radio-Canada has learned. Radio-Canada is the CBC's French-language service.

Claude Grant, a lawyer who represents l'Association des églises évangéliques du Québec, estimates 20 such schools teach a Bible-based curriculum to up to 4,000 elementary and high school students throughout the province.

At least two such schools operate in the Outaouais region, teaching about 100 students between them. Most of the students are from Gatineau or from Saint-André-Avellin in the Petite-Nation region.

Charles Boucher, a Pentecostal minister at l'Église Nouvelle Alliance in Gatineau, on Tuesday had a Radio-Canada reporter visit the school affiliated with the church.

About 40 students attend inside a modest grey church building. Several classrooms within are lined with white cupboards and library-style carrels.
Boucher said schools like his are a response to the immoral curriculum at public schools.

"Certain teachings that are conveyed there are anti-biblical," he said in French to a Radio-Canada reporter.

He gave teachings on sexual education and evolution as examples. His school teaches creationism instead of evolution as the origin of different types of plants and animals.

Boucher said his school's education is based on an American program and uses books from the U.S.

The Coeur-des-Vallées school board in the Outaouais region filed a complaint with the Ministry of Education about the religious schools last year.

The ministry declined to be interviewed by Radio-Canada for this story.

However, Grant said the province is aware of the schools and is discussing with them how to bring them under regulation.

He said discussions have been going on for at least 15 years, and he showed a reporter some of the binders containing the schools' correspondence with the ministry.

The ministry has not yet given the schools the permits required for them to operate legally.

But nor has it taken any action against the schools, Grant said. He suggested there is an explanation for that.

"It's because they are aware that we want to preserve a cultural heritage in a way," he said, "and there is a void left by the secularization of the education system."
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 13 Oct, 2006 02:02 pm
wande quoted-

Quote:
"It's because they are aware that we want to preserve a cultural heritage in a way," he said, "and there is a void left by the secularization of the education system."

There is indeed a void.

I have often been tempted to describe the void but have so far been unable to find the words to do so which would be acceptable to this site.
Obviously the hints I have dropped have not been followed up due, I presume, to anti-IDer's justifiable suspicions that they may not like what they find were they to do so despite such an attitude being entirely alien to a scientific cast of mind.

The defence against secular, scientific materialism is hamstrung in the same way and easily taken advantage of by the ignorant or by those, who, if not ignorant, can only be classed as sneaky. This explains why the social consequences argument is ignored and yet it is, was and always will be the only aspect of the matter worth discussing. Without the social consequences being a factor evolution science is on a par with any other aspect of science such as crystallography, meteorology or nuclear physics as an ethically neutral topic.

Anti-IDers are guilty of underestimating their opponents and judging from some posts I have seen the underestimation of others is the sine qua non of their position generally.

I cannot believe that ignoring my hints is caused by their laziness or lack of interest as such characteristics, either separately or in combination, remove every shred of justification for them having an input into the educational arrangements for millions of children and adolescents and their preparation for responsible citizenship.

It isn't often this thread qoes silent for three days but my quote-

Quote:

which provided the first real glimpse into an American real classroom shows to my satisfaction that my suspicion that education was seen by anti-IDers on here to be an entirely abstract concept within their own heads was justifiable and nothing but a pose with which to belabour established traditions and customs.

Scientific principles are much more difficult to grasp that simple French.

One can easily imagine the school govenors and local politicians strutting around getting noticed by talking about how that school taught "modern languages" and that they had a high pass rate.

Well-

Quote:
is evidence and I don't think that poster could be said to be below average.

Those who are responsible for education in both our countries, having been elected to be so, are agreed that an alternative to secular, scientific materialism must prevail and I think that their principle opponents in the next election are of the same view.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 13 Oct, 2006 06:15 pm
what is it railing on now? Are we not paying enough attention to the little fella?
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 13 Oct, 2006 06:27 pm
A think a hedghog could come up with an answer like that with a little coaxing on worm pie.

I once saw a seal play God Save The Queen on an organ using herrings.
0 Replies