Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 06:14 pm
There's nothing like a tornado to fire up ambitions. They bring out the best in the determined survivors.
0 Replies

real life

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 07:07 pm
Some also refer to evolution as a 'tornado in a junkyard producing a Boeing 747' type of an idea.

I don't disagree. Except it's a little too tame.

The idea (and don't tell me 'this isn't actually part of evolution' when it's all sold in one slick package as Big Bang/Abiogenesis/Evolution in the government controlled schools) that a living organism of ANY description could have assembled itself by chance is just too funny.

Please.

Believe it if you must, but don't ask us to consider it science.

Evolution at least can be dressed up for the high stage with the air of plausibility until the lights go back on.

Abiogenesis is the embarrassment that most evolutionists don't want to discuss.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 07:15 pm
real life wrote:
The skull was said to have been exposed due to the low level of the river.

Exposed in in it's latest location due to the low water level.

real life wrote:
Do you think it's likely that the river has never been this low in 10,000-20,000 years?

Do you think it's likely that the skull was there and mysteriously resisted destruction, or do you think it's likely that the skull was buried in sediment somewhere upstream for all but the last few years (when it washed out of its original location)?

Your questions are suggestively obtuse, unless you are seeking to support some type of implied assumption. What are you implying by this line of questioning (as if we didn't know)?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 07:28 pm
real life wrote:
Some also refer to evolution as a 'tornado in a junkyard producing a Boeing 747' type of an idea.

Only people who don't have a clue about what they're talking about say that.

For anyone who understands evolution, it's a blatantly invalid analogy to the process.

Do you know why it's an invalid analogy?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 07:43 pm
real life wrote:

Only ID-iots embrace that bit of patent absurdity.

Quote:
I don't disagree. Except it's a little too tame.

The idea (and don't tell me 'this isn't actually part of evolution' when it's all sold in one slick package as Big Bang/Abiogenesis/Evolution in the government controlled schools) that a living organism of ANY description could have assembled itself by chance is just too funny.

Again you flaunt your ignorance; chance, in the sense of random occurrence of events, is not a factor Apparently, ID-iots have difficulty coping with the concept of entropy-driven order out of chaos. There simply is no reason, no evidence-based, logical reason, to disbelieve current cosmologic and biologic theory; they are the best available explanations for the observed evidence, they are consistent with observed phenomena, they perform as expected as regards predictability, they are falsifiable, they are consistent with known laws and principles, they are dynamic in that they permit - in fact thrive upon - revision and adjustment in light of further discoveries, they are multiply cross-corroborative and multiply mutually reinforcing. Creationism/Id-ocy can claim none of the foregoing.
Quote:
Please.

Sorry, partner, it IS science. Creationism/ID-iocy is not.

Quote:
Evolution at least can be dressed up for the high stage with the air of plausibility until the lights go back on.

spendispeak, now huh? Well, props where they're due - that was very good spendispeak.

Quote:

Bullshit. Abiogenesis is among several hypotheses, all of which are broadly discussed and widely debated in the scientific and academic communities. At end, it and the other "ultimate origin" postulates remain hypotheses - only hypotheses and nothing more. Science makes no other claim for them - science acknowledges them as guesses - plausible guesses, by this or that set of observations and assumptions, but guesses, nothing more. They are yet part of the question, they are not in any way components of any answer.

There is a huge difference between "What if, given .... " and "By the available evidence, it appears probable to within a vanishingly near certainty that .... ", and nowhere in science or logic is "Questions remain, I perceive contradictions, some things make no sense to me, other things offend me, so this construct congruent with my preferences and assumptions must be the one, only, definitive, discussion-ending answer" a valid answer.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 07:45 pm
real life wrote:

Oh, sorry. I should have read further. You demonstrated your lack of understanding in the same post.

As we've explained many times before RL, "Natural Selection" is not a "Chance" process. That's why it's called Natural SELECTION.

real life wrote:

It is science, and it is a proven scientific fact. If you don't like it tough luck, that's just the way it is.

real life wrote:

Abiogenesis is not part of the basic theory of biological evolution. However, unlike most people who understand evolution, I will not dodge the obvious implication.

The basic foundational mechanism of evolution (natural selection) strongly implies that abiogenesis occured due to selection mechanisms at the chemical levels in similar fashion to biological evolution.

At an even more basic level, the assumption of naturalism within scientific theories means that no matter how abiogenesis happened, it was through a natural sequence of events.

Which part of that do you wish to bash your head against this time?
0 Replies

real life

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 07:47 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:
The skull was said to have been exposed due to the low level of the river.

Exposed in in it's latest location due to the low water level.

real life wrote:
Do you think it's likely that the river has never been this low in 10,000-20,000 years?

Do you think it's likely that the skull was there and mysteriously resisted destruction, or do you think it's likely that the skull was buried in sediment somewhere upstream for all but the last few years (when it washed out of its original location)?

Your questions are suggestively obtuse, unless you are seeking to support some type of implied assumption. What are you implying by this line of questioning (as if we didn't know)?

Well, it's difficult to be sure. But judging from the description of the digging out process, I'd say it not unlikely that it was buried in sediment at that very location under the riverbed , slowly becoming uncovered (partially) in (very) recent time and the low river gave the opportunity for it to be found.

A burial, uncovering, reburial in the middle of a moving river scenario just seems less likely. This is in the Plains, along the flat Wakarusa, remember, not in the Colorado River. But who knows? We're both guessing at this point, mostly.

The river may or may not have been displaced in the past 10,000 years but timber has yet to answer on that one, so we'll leave that as speculation also.

The most interesting thing to me would be the condition of the find. Enamel still on the teeth. Any fossilization? Any chance for recoverable DNA?

These questions , I think would indicate more interesting grounds to study.

A long burial period (10,000-20,000 years) and (noticable) enamel still on the teeth? What is your take on that, Ros? I'll confess that I don't know if that's normal but I have my doubts. I think it would be much more consistent with a much younger age, don't you?

It would be interesting to compare the amount of enamel of this supposed 10,000 year old with the teeth of dinos supposedly many millions of years old.

Mastodon finds like this in Missouri, Iowa and now Kansas indicate that these critters may have been very numerous and widespread, which makes the idea that a relatively few 'Paleo-Indians' hunted them to extinction all the more unlikely.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:00 pm
real life wrote:
It would be interesting to compare the amount of enamel of this supposed 10,000 year old with the teeth of dinos supposedly many millions of years old.

Supposedly? Ha, you crack me up. We know they are at least 65Million years old or older. Of that there isn't a shadow of a doubt within the world of reality.

real life wrote:
Mastodon finds like this in Missouri, Iowa and now Kansas indicate that these critters may have been very numerous and widespread, which makes the idea that a relatively few 'Paleo-Indians' hunted them to extinction all the more unlikely.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Humans are extremely efficient hunters. Control of fire alone could have altered environments and migratory pathways.

At least this is a much more interesting area of discussion than your continued regression into flood mythology and seven day creation.
0 Replies

real life

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:20 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

Oh, sorry. I should have read further. You demonstrated your lack of understanding in the same post.

As we've explained many times before RL, "Natural Selection" is not a "Chance" process. That's why it's called Natural SELECTION.

real life wrote:

It is science, and it is a proven scientific fact. If you don't like it tough luck, that's just the way it is.

real life wrote:

Abiogenesis is not part of the basic theory of biological evolution. However, unlike most people who understand evolution, I will not dodge the obvious implication.

The basic foundational mechanism of evolution (natural selection) strongly implies that abiogenesis occured due to selection mechanisms at the chemical levels in similar fashion to biological evolution.

At an even more basic level, the assumption of naturalism within scientific theories means that no matter how abiogenesis happened, it was through a natural sequence of events.

Which part of that do you wish to bash your head against this time?

Ah, yes. To trumpet one's assumption and thus settle the issue.

That's what makes evolution such a grand Faith, isn't it?
0 Replies

real life

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:23 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

Supposedly? Ha, you crack me up. We know they are at least 65Million years old or older. Of that there isn't a shadow of a doubt within the world of reality.

Yeah, and until recently we 'knew' that soft tissue and possibly DNA couldn't survive that long.

But if the dinos really are 65 MY , then maybe soft tissue and with it some DNA did survive that long.

Or is it that they really aren't 65 MY afterall?

What we 'know' is getting in the way of what we 'know'. Hmmmmm.

How nice that in your Faith you haven't a shadow of doubt. That's very commendable.
0 Replies

real life

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:27 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Humans are extremely efficient hunters. Control of fire alone could have altered environments and migratory pathways.

At least this is a much more interesting area of discussion than your continued regression into flood mythology and seven day creation.

'Control of fire' to alter (purposefully?) migratory pathways?

Have you been out West, lately?

We don't control fire to that extent even now. C'mon, Ros.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:29 pm
real life wrote:

Is that the best you can come up with? Nice try.
0 Replies

real life

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:31 pm
timberlandko wrote:

There is a huge difference between "What if, given .... " and "By the available evidence, it appears probable to within a vanishingly near certainty that .... ", and nowhere in science or logic is "Questions remain, I perceive contradictions, some things make no sense to me, other things offend me, so this construct congruent with my preferences and assumptions must be the one, only, definitive, discussion-ending answer" a valid answer.

Unless you, like Ros, use the assumption of naturalism as your trump card to finish the hand.
0 Replies

real life

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:41 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

Is that the best you can come up with? Nice try.

No, there's much more where that came from, but I spared you.

rosborne979 wrote:

Trying to fit the idea of natural selection into a theory covering dead matter as well as living systems is a real hoot.

Are we really to believe that dead matter was given a 'survival advantage'?

The supposed resultant macrochemicals are not MORE resistant to chemical degradation by the environment that (supposedly) produced them, but LESS.

They are much more fragile than raw chemicals to the extent that if you put xNA into the open environment (especially one such as is thought to have existed then), everyone including an evolutionist would expect it to degrade.

To suppose that these chemical baths forced themselves out of lazy equilibrium into a high powered building program of amino acids and beyond is laughable.

We discussed entropy, remember? Oh (hits head) but that's it.

You don't believe in entropy. It doesn't apply in the real world, just in theory, right?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:42 pm
real life wrote:

There is no comparison between the amount of evidence we have for geologic timelines related to dinosaur extinction, the details of the fossilization process in localized cases.

I'm sorry you're confused by all this RL. Most of us have a better grip on reality.

The Earth is billions of years old and T-Rex's went extinct millions of years ago. Just because we find a fossil with some mushy stuff in it doesn't mean you get to re-write geological history. It only means you get to amend the details of fossilization.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:43 pm
The extinction of a species rarely is the result of a single cause - major asteroid impacts, for instance, are fortunately not common even on geologic timescale. Paul Martin's "Clovis Overkill" hypothesis for the disappearance of North American megafauna at the end of the Pliestocene - ca 10-12K Years ago - hasn't much support any more; hunting no doubt was a factor, but it was not the only factor at work, and it need not have been - likely was not - the primary factor. Current research indicates quite strongly that environmental changes, chiefly pursuant to the retreat of the ice sheets, was extremely disruptive to flora and fauna, imposing tremendous - in some cases clearly insurmountable - stresses on everything from mosses and lichens to mastodons. Large critterstypically have comparatively long gestation periods, relatively few offspring per mated pair, take longer than do smaller critters, on average, to reach sexual maturity and begin reproducing, and often are vitally dependent upon their parents or other adults within their immediately familial population group longer than are smaller crittersw. Just as no one thing sank the Titanic, but rather a chain of events and circumstances combined to produce the disaster, no one thing sank the mastodons. The introduction of human hunters into their rapidly changing environment was just the last straw; piled on other already existing stresses and circumstances, hunting at most merely hastened their disappearance.

real life wrote:
Yeah, and until recently we 'knew' that soft tissue and possibly DNA couldn't survive that long.

But if the dinos really are 65 MY , then maybe soft tissue and with it some DNA did survive that long.

Not at all ... what YOU don't know, misunderstand, misconstrue, or will not or cannot accept is in the way of your coming to grips with what is known.

Quote:
How nice that in your Faith you haven't a shadow of doubt. That's very commendable.

And another straw man ... science freely acknowledges that which it does not "know", and in fact most of what you apparently presume science claims to "know", science claims only to conclude that by the best available evidence, this or that thing or condition appears probable to within a very near approximation of certainty, while at the same time concluding that thus and so, by the available evidence, appears improbable to within a very near aproximation of certainty. There are very few "Absolutes" in science, nor in anything else for that matter, whereas religion/Creationism/ID-iocy is nought but absolutes. Science is afraid of nothing, least of all is it afraid to question, even challenge itself, and it always is willing to refine, revise, and even correct itself upon determination of better evidence. Religion/Creationism/ID-iocy, on the other hand, cannot withstand any such open, honest criticism and growth. Religion/Creationism/ID-iocy provides no answers, but rather hides from genuine consideration and examination of the questions and of itself.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:47 pm
real life wrote:
The supposed resultant macrochemicals are not MORE resistant to chemical degradation by the environment that (supposedly) produced them, but LESS.

They are much more fragile than raw chemicals to the extent that if you put xNA into the open environment (especially one such as is thought to have existed then), everyone including an evolutionist would expect it to degrade.

To suppose that these chemical baths forced themselves out of lazy equilibrium into a high powered building program of amino acids and beyond is laughable.

We discussed entropy, remember? Oh (hits head) but that's it.

You don't believe in entropy. It doesn't apply in the real world, just in theory, right?

We've expained all this to you before RL. Hit yourself in the head for me. We covered your misconceptions of entropy, and your fantasies about xNA. I'm not going to do it again.

Please come up with something new. You're just repeating your same old tricks.
0 Replies

real life

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:48 pm
timberlandko wrote:
The extinction of a species rarely is the result of a single cause - major asteroid impacts, for instance, are fortunately not common even on geologic timescale. Paul Martin's "Clovis Overkill" hypothesis for the disappearance of North American megafauna at the end of the Pliestocene - ca 10-12K Years ago - hasn't much support any more; hunting no doubt was a factor, but it was not the only factor at work, and it need not have been - likely was not - the primary factor. Current research indicates quite strongly that environmental changes, chiefly pursuant to the retreat of the ice sheets, was extremely disruptive to flora and fauna, imposing tremendous - in some cases clearly insurmountable - stresses on everything from mosses and lichens to mastodons. Large critterstypically have comparatively long gestation periods, relatively few offspring per mated pair, take longer than do smaller critters, on average, to reach sexual maturity and begin reproducing, and often are vitally dependent upon their parents or other adults within their immediately familial population group longer than are smaller crittersw. Just as no one thing sank the Titanic, but rather a chain of events and circumstances combined to produce the disaster, no one thing sank the mastodons. The introduction of human hunters into their rapidly changing environment was just the last straw; piled on other already existing stresses and circumstances, hunting merely hastened their disappearance.

So the retreat of the glaciers and the resultant greening of the continent made it tougher for these elephant-like critters to survive, eh?

Interesting theory, timber.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:50 pm
real life wrote:
Unless you, like Ros, use the assumption of naturalism as your trump card to finish the hand.

Naturalism is the assumption of science. And it's a trump card which you can't beat, at least within the game of science.

You're obviously playing a game with different rules, and I don't have a problem with that, as long as you don't try to pass it off as science.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:54 pm
real life wrote:
'Control of fire' to alter (purposefully?) migratory pathways?

Have you been out West, lately?

We don't control fire to that extent even now. C'mon, Ros.

You're not very imaginative or smart are you RL. Good thing you weren't a cave man, or we might have gone extinct.
0 Replies