Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Sun 20 Aug, 2006 03:25 pm
It's snowing again folks.

Is it not recognised that

Atheism

Feminism

Pro-abortion

Get The Bible

Sell junk

are lobbies which would tend to be anti-ID. Euthenasians and Eugenisists
as well I shouldn't wonder.

That might be why they are anti-IDers. There might be no other excuse for being an anti-IDer.

Is that really not "cogent" timber. It seems like clean-cut straight shooting to me. No frills. No snow.

If you don't agree can you offer evidence to the contrary. It's not seemly to just disagree. A dog can manage that.

By heck fm-you must have been mad to take all that trouble with the pictoes.

And stop winking at the end. It's not real irony when you do that.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 20 Aug, 2006 03:30 pm
I think I might make a list in the pub with the help of my confreres of all the sectional interests which would line up behind the anti-ID banner for purely pocket filling greed purposes.

It must be amazing to be anti-ID for intellectual reasons. That's stretching know-allism to the infinite limit and then some due to the nature of the infinite.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 20 Aug, 2006 07:37 pm
Quote:
That's stretching know-allism to the infinite limit and then some due to the nature of the infinite.
Another of spendis nonsensical staements that abuse any understanding of infinity.
I guess Im gonna have to plead ignorance because spendis position seems a bit(actually alot) addled. First hes infavor of teching evolution, then hes an ID proponent, then he claims hes not, Now hes adding up all the evils of the world and plopping them on the top of science. Hmmm. Is the boy a bit too gambrinous of a Sunday?

Doesnt he have to show up to work at least somewhat symmetrically sober?
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 21 Aug, 2006 06:40 am
fm wrote-

Quote:
Quote:
That's stretching know-allism to the infinite limit and then some due to the nature of the infinite.
Another of spendis nonsensical staements that abuse any understanding of infinity.

I think that encapsulating that anti-ID without the profit motive is profoundly egotistical and that the infinite is a concept beyond understanding in 17 words one of which is a novel "ism" is pretty good going. To call it "nonsensical" is just another bland assertion presumably employed to solipsistically assuage any discomfort and/or embarrassment.

The "addled" is unnecessary once "nonsense" has been used. And "seems addled" is fatuous. That's getting in the smear without responsibility. And how does one modulate from "a bit" to "a lot" when it only "seems".

I'm not in favour of teaching evolution without qualification. I'm in favour of teaching the 3 "r"s properly and the inculcation of directed curiosity from that base and the discouragement of the assertion. The student's different capacities will do the rest.

I'm in favour of education being professionalised and parents and other busy-bodies being removed from the process. I'm in favour of academic freedom and recruitment procedures being tightened up. I'm in favour of single sex schools after the 11th year. If the Constitution is an impediment to those I would amend it (Wow!). I don't think the Fathers envisaged this modern world and the occupational and social skills it requires.

I didn't categorise any of those things which I think are associated with anti-ID as "evil".

Once again the puritannical attitude to the drinking of beer emerges from the anti-ID camp. One might expect prohibition to return should anti-ID come to hold sway. Beer is an excellent foodstuff and the company one meets in pubs is an antidote to isolationist narcissism precisely because they are not self chosen. In fact the totalitarian mindset, which I think is associated with anti-ID, but not necessarily evil of course, would seek to prevent working men from meeting to discuss their grievances. The next best thing being the feminist agenda of encouraging women to use pubs and as a result conversations about other things closer to the hearts of women ensue.

It is others showing up for work that is my concern.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Mon 21 Aug, 2006 07:03 am
spendius wrote
Quote:
Once again the puritannical attitude to the drinking of beer emerges from the anti-ID camp.

I was also concerned after reading your posts yesterday. Our concern is that you should not drive or operate dangerous equipment when you are in that condition. You would be a danger to yourself and others.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 21 Aug, 2006 07:22 am
Don't be so silly wande.

This isn't Sunday School.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Mon 21 Aug, 2006 07:49 am
spendius wrote:
This isn't Sunday School.

That is what most parents say when someone proposes teaching
intelligent design in science class.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 21 Aug, 2006 08:41 am
Spendi is gritting again about others who dont follow in his personal experience. HMM I think he defines solispist better than anyone here. We are seeking valid input and authority. Does spendi bring value that is external of himself? Hell no, I say. Then going yet one step farther, he is a practitioner of ipsidixitist ejaculata, as if we are to concede that his words and thoughts were golden ones.
Stand in line pendi, you may add to the discussion but dont attempt to derail it when youre in your "lubricated state"

No one gives a **** about your drinking problem, many of us had our own and learned from them, however I would never have posted while in your confused chemically altered state(It leaves embarrasing tracks for the rest of us to recall). Apparently you feel that your arguments "from personal incredulity" are valid so long as its you who are incredulous. I, for one , am standing here with my mouth agape as to how little you really understand and yet continue to bluster on with your exceptionally poor writing style.
Quote:
I think that encapsulating that anti-ID without the profit motive is profoundly egotistical and that the infinite is a concept beyond understanding in 17 words one of which is a novel "ism" is pretty good going
Now that sentence alone(if we could indeed so grace it with the title "sentence") would qualify you for entry into the upcoming Bulwar Litton contest.

Could we please get back to discussing whether ID is religion in a smock? or not? Whacky obfuscation aside, the issue is quite clear.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Mon 21 Aug, 2006 08:44 am
KANSAS UPDATE

Quote:
Voters must keep Kansas on the right track
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 21 Aug, 2006 09:26 am
Quote:
Kansans who value a good, well-rounded education for their children have to be on guard for the long haul.

Its almost unbelievable that a large number of voters feel that "if theyre gonna be scientists then they oughta know this stuff, but dont lets bother our kids about this stuff "
I read that CAID site and was amazed at how the mainstream conservatives actually are not these Bible thumping Millenialists who tie everything to the Apocalypse
0 Replies

wandeljw

Mon 21 Aug, 2006 09:51 am
farmerman wrote:
Its almost unbelievable that a large number of voters feel that "if theyre gonna be scientists then they oughta know this stuff, but dont lets bother our kids about this stuff "

Funny, that was my position when my older daughter was in high school. I am neither conservative nor religious. However, when my daughter told me she did not like studying evolution, I told her not to worry about it. That daughter is now 23 and working in the television industry. I also have a 6 year old daughter. Now I would be upset if someone tried to wedge religion into her science classes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 21 Aug, 2006 09:57 am
Did your older daughter tell you why she objected to studying evolution, Boss?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Mon 21 Aug, 2006 10:01 am
Setanta wrote:

Thanks for asking, Setanta. My older daughter told me "evolution is disgusting". I told this story almost 2 years ago on a different thread. Timber immediately jumped all over me for tolerating such an idea. I was a newbie when Timber did that and I am still on medication because of it. Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 21 Aug, 2006 10:02 am
I have a few items in my Timber file, if you ever need back-up in the future, Boss.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Mon 21 Aug, 2006 10:55 am
Set
Setanta wrote:
I have a few items in my Timber file, if you ever need back-up in the future, Boss.

You keep files on us? Now I'm really scared.

I wanna see my file!

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 21 Aug, 2006 11:00 am
Not only would I not take lessons on sentence composition from someone who offered this excruciating farrago of slipshodiness-

Quote:

but I would advise anybody else to take emergency avoidance action in its presence.

After that I take criticisms of my sentences as a compliment.

spendi does not wish to reveal his experience of the educational process because he is a modest person.

I have made no attempt to derail this discussion and I do not have a drinking problem. 3 or 3 and 1/2 pints of 3.8% after a long day's work does not even reach the legal driving limit here with my body's characteristics. I never drink wine or spirits. I don't understand why you keep harping on about it unless it is to derail the discussion.

You obviously don't wish to address the point I made yesterday about the membership of the anti-ID coalition and prefer to get your snow machine out again. There is nothing to learn from my pub habits and the admission that you have been forced to learn from your's suggests that you had at some point been unable to control it. There are elements of similar indiscipline in all the activities I included in my anti-ID coalition.

Try discussing abortion with somebody whose daughter or wife has had one. Try dicussing religion with someone who is divorced or whose daughter is. Try discussing basic Christian tenets with those on a consumerist frenzy or with supporters of gay rights or feminism. They are all anti-ID for self-serving reasons. wande has even assumed that I drive after I've been drinking. I don't even have a car. I don't need one. 1/2 a mile from home is the furthest I ever go when not working. You're all just making crazy assumptions to avoid addressing the real issues. Who are anti-IDers? What's their agenda? Is it the manifestations of selfishness?
Why not be selfish if there is no moral guidance? Let some poor woman take the heat of abortion and birth control and promotion to positions she is genetically unfitted for. We don't want 200 prominent feminists to not be famous do we for peddling claptrap and selling junk and being controversial. Manna from heaven for media.

What reasons have you for saying that this-

Quote:
I think that encapsulating that anti-ID without the profit motive is profoundly egotistical and that the infinite is a concept beyond understanding in 17 words one of which is a novel "ism" is pretty good going

is faulty as a part of a sentence you chopped the end off? Could it just be that you don't agree with it? Could it be that you're rattled now anti-ID is being more carefully scrutinised and the scrutiny is being read by all these viewers we have.

If I know my viewers they will be taking note of all this bluster and bombast and special pleadings and character assassination you are going in for.

And they are the ones I write for. Have you not read Towards the End of the Morning? Some elected representitives have agreed with me that Dover was a stick-up. There's more going on here than what you see on your screen fm.

Barrack-room lawyers got thrown in the river where I come from and to popular acclaim.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 21 Aug, 2006 11:06 am
Re: Set
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Setanta wrote:

You keep files on us? Now I'm really scared.

I wanna see my file!

BBB :wink:

Take the wrong step, Aunt Bee, and you'll see what happens . . .
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 21 Aug, 2006 11:06 am
BBB-

Anti-IDers love files and info and checking up on people. They are control freaks. When they come in we will all be investigating each other and in uniform.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 21 Aug, 2006 11:07 am
And dark, threatening hints are only a first step.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Mon 21 Aug, 2006 11:11 am
wandeljw wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Thanks for asking, Setanta. My older daughter told me "evolution is disgusting". I told this story almost 2 years ago on a different thread. Timber immediately jumped all over me for tolerating such an idea. I was a newbie when Timber did that and I am still on medication because of it. Smile

Laughing Sorry - I only sorta remember that (a link would help) - but as I hazily recall, that was one of my "be gentle now - its a n00b" jumps; I didn't really beat you up ... did I?
0 Replies