Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

wandeljw

Thu 20 Jul, 2006 08:25 am
That's true. The beginning sounds like straight reporting.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 20 Jul, 2006 08:34 am
Quote:
By Tom Flannery
© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

What happens to a society when its children are taught they evolved
from the slime of some prebiotic soup through random chemical
reactions in a chaotic, completely unsupervised universe that emerged
from a chance explosion?

After decades of indoctrination into Darwin's theory of evolution,
this question is no longer an academic one. The fruits of this
experiment are evident everywhere we look, from staggering increases
in the homicide and suicide rates among young people to a total
disdain for human life.

Evolution is not only junk science, it is a pernicious social doctrine
which produces a bitter harvest in the hearts and minds of its
adherents. When children are taught this theory as fact (as most are
today), it affects their entire belief system and outlook on life. The
implications are devastating for individuals as well as for society at
large.

The first implication of accepting evolution as fact is hopelessness.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 20 Jul, 2006 08:45 am
Quote:
Creation 'Answers' in new magazine
(BY PAUL MCKIBBEN, COMMUNITY RECORDER, July 20, 2006)

PETERSBURG -- Answers in Genesis has a Web site, a radio program, countless educational materials and it now has a magazine in its evangelical tool bag.

The Petersburg-based Christian organization, which has received lots of attention for its Creation Museum, is producing a quarterly magazine called "Answers." The magazine debuted with a July-September issue.

"It's meant to be something for the whole family but also involves building a Christian worldview," said Ken Ham, Answers in Genesis' president and CEO.

Answers in Genesis used to order "Creation," an Australian publication that Answers in Genesis purchased for its readers.

"We had so many people saying, 'I'd really like to have something more American-centric, more dealing with the laws,'" said Dale Mason, the magazine's publisher/executive editor, noting that people wanted to know about such issues as whether it's appropriate to say "Merry Christmas."

The first issue, consisting of 74 pages, featured articles about intelligent design, the Earth's age and the Christian nature of such founding fathers as John Adams.

The magazine includes a children's section. The first issue had a section about dinosaurs and a four-page picture where children can look for various animals.

Mason said the response to "Answers" has been "overwhelmingly positive."

"Answers" has two-full time staff members but numerous others who help with it.

There were 33,000 subscribers to "Creation" who were moved over to "Answers" that now has an estimated 40,000 subscribers. Mason said the magazine is growing by about 1,500 subscribers per month with projected readership of more than 50,000 by this time next year.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 20 Jul, 2006 10:48 am
Of those 50K readers, I wonder how manycan actually claim that they , personally, own a clue.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 20 Jul, 2006 11:01 am
I feel sure most of them would assert that they do and that's good enough around here ain't it.

Was wande jesting about Dylan and the newspaper?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 20 Jul, 2006 01:44 pm
spendius wrote:
Was wande jesting about Dylan and the newspaper?

Nothing I say is serious.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 20 Jul, 2006 02:29 pm
wande-

if you can imagine a fiendish grin coming towards you and leaning in your ear whispering, insidiously,I don't believe you then you are able to imagine the A2K version.

Dylan has a version. He says it to a English audience who booed and shouted "Judas" at him for going electric.

Something like that. Spin out the words. Extend them.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:10 pm
SPENDI
Quote:
I feel sure most of them would assert that they do and that's good enough around here ain't it.

i SUPPOSE, we havent attempted to establish any minimum rules of scholarship. After all, this isnt a scientific journal, and our "peer review" is certainly not very strict, consisting mostly of jibes and shots across bows.

However, I do enjoy listening to the insane wailings of the prophets and true believers.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:13 pm
farmerman, It really is funny to watch them do intellectual gymnastics to keep supporting their idiocy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:13 pm
spendi
Quote:
Dylan has a version. He says it to a English audience who booed and shouted "Judas" at him for going electric.
The English have a delightful habit of confronting tomorrows technology with yesterdays reasons.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 20 Jul, 2006 05:02 pm
And what can anyone say about something "delightful" except that the limited range of expressions often used to articulate it seem to cover the ground quite amply. In my experience anyway.

But I'm just a simple country boy. I'm not much of a skeptic. I'm easily convinced.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 20 Jul, 2006 05:03 pm
spendius wrote:
"I'm easily convinced."

ROFLMAO
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 20 Jul, 2006 07:14 pm
and, like Mr Toad, youre damned difficult to extract from a pipe when youve got yourself all inflated with gas .
Quote:
And what can anyone say about something "delightful" except that the limited range of expressions often used to articulate it seem to cover the ground quite amply. In my experience anyway.
Thats pART of the entire point, while you Englishmen are busy getting your Victorian words and phrases just so, weve invented about a billion new words.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 21 Jul, 2006 03:52 am
fm wrote-

Quote:
Thats pART of the entire point, while you Englishmen are busy getting your Victorian words and phrases just so, weve invented about a billion new words.

Getting our words "just so" is much more difficult than piling up new ones like jigsaw pieces.

I have a nice Menken and it is a very boring book.

New words are easy to invent as can be seen on some Trivia threads and in Roger's Profanisaurus.

Patterns of words convey nuances of meaning. Those nuances of feeling expression cannot be conveyed in any other way. Inability to do that causes an absence of the feeling itself. There is a lack of "dimension" in posts written by Americans, which is not entirely difficult to observe, but I'll admit that it is at least the equal of many written by semi-educated English people.

I can insult anti-IDers without them being sure I have insulted them but anti-IDers can't introduce that doubt. They telegraph their punches.

Did an American invent "duh".

"Delightful" is worth aiming for though. In general I mean. The opposite of Slappy Doo Doo say which can never penetrate into the hidden depths and explore previously uncharted territory.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 21 Jul, 2006 07:11 am
Hes inflating again!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Fri 21 Jul, 2006 08:24 am
Puffery indeed.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 21 Jul, 2006 09:02 am
I saw those two punches in their inchoate form and ages before they even set off.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:35 pm
KANSAS UPDATE

Quote:
Anti-evolution standards a key issue in Kansas school board races
(JOHN HANNA, Associated Press, July 21, 2006)

BURDETT, Kan. - After a potluck lunch in one of many hamlets dotting the Great Plains, candidate Sally Cauble confronted a key issue in Kansas politics: whether schools should teach students to doubt evolution.

Cauble wants to oust incumbent Connie Morris from the State Board of Education in the Aug. 1 Republican primary. Five races this year could remove half the board's members, undo its conservative majority and doom anti-evolution science standards that brought Kansas international criticism.

Cauble hoped to pick up a few votes in Burdett, a prairie town of 240 people, about 130 miles northwest of Wichita, just off a two-lane state highway, surrounded by fields and best known for being the hometown of the astronomer who discovered the planet Pluto.

When asked by Cleo Gorman, a 68-year-old nurse, about "the science issue," Cauble said she would not have supported the anti-evolution standards.

"To be a scientific theory, it has to be tested. It has to be measured, and then other scientific data is tested against that," Cauble said. "The science of evolution has gone through that, and it has been tested."

But Gorman disagreed and is inclined to vote for Morris, who once wrote in a constituent newsletter that evolution is an "age-old fairy tale."

"Evolution is not proven as much as they thought it was," Gorman told Cauble.

Later, Cauble said she wished evolution weren't an issue. Yet the former teacher and ex-school board member from Liberal contends the conservative-led state board has damaged Kansas' image.

"I believe they've lost their effectiveness because they have lost respect," she said.

Morris, an author and former teacher from St. Francis, sees criticism of the board generated by the media, not most Kansans.

"I may not win the election, but at least I spoke for the people," Morris said recently before preparing a booth at the Ellis County Fair in Hays.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 21 Jul, 2006 02:28 pm
spendi
Quote:
Getting our words "just so" is much more difficult than piling up new ones like jigsaw pieces.

Arent you able to walk and chew gum at the same time?
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 21 Jul, 2006 02:34 pm
M s Morris a pro Creation/ID candidate
Quote:
"I may not win the election, but at least I spoke for the people," Morris said recently before preparing a booth at the Ellis County Fair in Hays.

She has this a bit ass backwards. The election decides what the people wish. So if she loses, shes just been out of touch, or else just pandering to the Conservative base.
0 Replies