Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

cicerone imposter

Thu 22 Jun, 2006 11:23 am
There's not much reason to neglect the food groups listed by farmerman, except for people like you with irrational fears.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 22 Jun, 2006 11:38 am
Suit yourself. I'm neglecting them.

My fears are perfectly rational. I want to live and be active for as long as possible without the help of surgery and drugs of very dubious character.

I have to wonder why you use the word "irrational". Is it irrational to stop at a red light?

Why don't you study the matter before making pronouncements in front of young A2Kers which are mere rationalisations for your own conduct.

I smoke. Do you?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 22 Jun, 2006 11:43 am
I do not smoke. I also do not drink liquor every day. I'll be 71 next month, and have walked almost 109 miles this month. I'm relatively healthy, and hope to keep up my excercise program until I am unable to. My daily routine doesn't include a trip to the pub - by choice.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Thu 22 Jun, 2006 12:26 pm
Now, a couple big, flaky buttermilk biscuits, smothered with lotsa real thick, peppery-spicy country sausage milk gravy, topped with a couple eggs up and dashed with a touch of Tobasco, served with a generous portion of grits, alongside a couple plate-sized, butter-dripping, maple syrup-drenched wheat cakes, a nice, substantial applewood-smoked porkchop, a large glass each of OJ and milk, all backed up by plenty of hot, rich, strong coffee makes for a pretty fair breakfast.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 22 Jun, 2006 01:18 pm
Keep your mobile phone handy timber.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 22 Jun, 2006 01:27 pm
Timber. In a world without maple syrup and sausage links . (now Im a waffle fan tell the treuth) I just dont wanna be in it. Lettuce is to make rabbits tastier
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 22 Jun, 2006 02:44 pm
How long does a few waffles last? Ten measly minutes. I know how good they are for the temptation suckers but ten measly feewking minutes is hardly worth bothering about.

That dream I had on Monday lasted all night but I can't tell you about it because it was too tasty for the eyes of the fans of rusks and dummies dipped in syrup.

And they would put you lot in charge of science education!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 23 Jun, 2006 08:39 am
you wanna eat that **** spendi, be my guest. We all die, I dont want anyone to euligize me with
"well, he really liked his lettuce"
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 23 Jun, 2006 08:54 am
GERMANY'S ID MOVEMENT

I checked the archives of a German on-line news service (Deutsche Welle) and found a brief article on the status of the ID movement in Germany:

Quote:
The leading ID proponent in Germany is Wort und Wissen (or Word and Knowledge). The society, based in the small town Baiersbronn in the Black Forest, organizes lectures and publishes evolution-critical books and pamphlets for adults and children.

The Munich microbiologist Siegfried Scherer, who heads Wort und Wissen, said that it was "not entirely unthinkable" from a biologist's perspective that all humans derived from Adam and Eve.

"You could consider that there were tiny populations in the distant past, which spread out to become humanity," Scherer told German public television ZDF.

Scherer and fellow Wort und Wissen secretary Reinhard Junker are the authors of the controversial work, "Evolution - A Critical Textbook". Using pseudo-scientific terminology, they outline a model in which organisms developed from basic types created by an intelligent being.

Scientists, though, strongly criticize the theory. "If perfectly created species existed, then the perfect human wouldn't get slipped discs, or die of cancer and dinosaurs wouldn't have become extinct," said biologist Ulrich Kutschera. He added that the book was "a successful piece of German neo-creationist propaganda", which conveyed a biased view of evolution.

Although Wort und Wissen has existed since the early 1980s, public and media interest in its work has only developed recently. Kutschera said it is because people have only now "woken up" to the problem.

"The Internet is infested with this creationist rubbish," Kutschera said. Books such as Scherer and Junker's are donated to school libraries across the country.

According to Wort und Wissen, though, the book is solely "additional informational material for teachers and students, who want to deal with scientific arguments critical of evolution or alternative interpretations of biological data". Wort und Wissen said that it did not seek to introduce creationist theories into biology lessons and that these should remain in religious education.

"However, the society wants scientific criticism of evolutionary teachings to be adequately explored," it said in a statement. This also belonged in biology class, it said.

Wort und Wissen said it would not take legal steps to force ID or creationist theory in schools, as is the case in the United States. Last month, the Kansas Board of Education approved new public school science standards that cast doubt on the theory of evolution. On Tuesday, though, a US court in Pennsylvania ruled it was unconstitutional to teach schoolchildren the intelligent design theory of life as an alternative to evolution.

German education officials said they didn't expect the debate to become a major issue.

"This development will not reach Germany," said Sylvia Schill, spokeswoman for the Kultusministerkonferenz, the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the German Länder.

"Evolution is taught in biology class in all German schools," Schill said. References to creationism, on the other hand, are made in religious instruction at school.

"There are no endeavors to change this, nor will there be in the foreseeable future," she said.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:11 am
wande quoted-

Quote:
"Evolution is taught in biology class in all German schools," Schill said. References to creationism, on the other hand, are made in religious instruction at school.

Do they have seperate staff rooms wande or a team of referees? Do the kids have any problems by being presented with dramatically opposing viewpoints within the same school?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:18 am
spendius wrote:

Do they have seperate staff rooms wande or a team of referees? Do the kids have any problems by being presented with dramatically opposing viewpoints within the same school?

Religion is compulsary as any other subject - from the age of 14 onwards you can decide if you want to be taught or not on your own, before that parents can do so.

I've never heard that anybody had problems with that - it isn't taught - since about 100 years - as "truth" but as 'religion', always refeering to evolution as the scientific approach.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:24 am
spendius wrote:
Do they have seperate staff rooms wande or a team of referees?

I don't get the question - why should they? Teachers of 'religion' mostly teach Latin and/or Greek and/or history and/or German, some are priests/nuns, but all - even the oldest, have been taught evolution (e.g. my grandfather in 1902 on a private business-orientated grammar school, my granmother on a Catholic boarding school).
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:30 am
Walt-thanks.

Why can't they do that in America then instead of lawyers battling it out in expensive courtroom settings and chat shows and suchlike.

Do you think it's a lawyer's hype in the US?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:36 am
It has nothing to do with lawyers: no-one here (besides perhaps those people in wandel's link) believes this religious stuff - it's religion, fullstop.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:39 am
spendi,

Lawyers were involved in the Dover case because of an attempt to teach religion as part of a science class. Walter indicates that in Germany religion and science curricula are kept separate.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:59 am
wande-

I still don't see how they don't get fighting.

We do don't we. Imagine if I was the Religion teacher and you lot were the science teachers.

It's not very nice if you spend an hour teaching a class and the other teachers say it was all a load of bollocks is it?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 23 Jun, 2006 12:02 pm
spendius wrote:
It's not very nice if you spend an hour teaching a class and the other teachers say it was all a load of bollocks is it?

It is RELIGION, whic has nothing to do with science (here in Germany: biology) as everyone in Europe knows since decades.

Again: there have never been fights about that.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 23 Jun, 2006 12:06 pm
I understand, spendi. It would be a shock to me, if after death, God asked me to give an accounting of my life. I would say: "In college they told me that this was all a fairy tale!" Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 23 Jun, 2006 12:11 pm
If I get there first I'll put in a good word for you-I wouldn't worry about it.

I'll say that you are just a bit simple which you having the interview with God would prove to be the case- wouldn't it?
0 Replies

Mathos

Fri 23 Jun, 2006 04:23 pm
Are you talking about your dad who lives in the sky Spendius..

You might even be part of the second coming eh?
0 Replies