Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

Lightwizard

Thu 4 May, 2006 08:14 am
Proust was a subjective philosopher who was somehow spot on about human motivation. It did not involve any religion but personal experience and an uncanny eye for the subtlety of human relationships.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 4 May, 2006 08:22 am
Wolf wrote-

Quote:
Yes, but that was an assertion without proof. You made the assertion, then didn't prove it.

I'm sorry mate. I don't know what you are talking about.

Quote:
Once again, an assertion without proof. I am Evolutionist, yet I do not approve of it. The elderly do have a purpose in helping to rear young, as seen in many animal groups in nature and in human society itself.

Yeah-well-suit yourself on that.It depends what "helping" means.
Just keep eating the cheese and then you can have the £50 grand operation and a lifetime's diet of Stattins.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Thu 4 May, 2006 08:31 am
spendius wrote:
Wolf wrote-

Quote:
Yes, but that was an assertion without proof. You made the assertion, then didn't prove it.

I'm sorry mate. I don't know what you are talking about.

And then when somebody catches you out, you act as if there's been a communication break down.

You complained about people having assertions with no proof, yet you do the same. It's that simple. You did it again a few posts back.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 4 May, 2006 08:34 am
There is a communication breakdown Wolf.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 4 May, 2006 08:36 am
If there were, it would certainly be no fault on the part of Wolf, who posts in a coherent and lucid manner. You should try to emulate that.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Thu 4 May, 2006 08:39 am
Impossible.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Thu 4 May, 2006 08:48 am
Mr. Spendius, I rarely eat cheese, so your last comment (which I failed to notice) was rather irrelevant. It was as irrelevant as the one that immediately follows this sentence.

Mmm... I smell cooked mackerel.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 4 May, 2006 09:11 am
OREGON UPDATE

Quote:
Intelligent design supporters tout merits of concept
0 Replies

Chumly

Thu 4 May, 2006 11:28 am
spendius wrote:
Chum wrote-

Quote:
Boyo, you have failed to substantiate the claim that teaching of evolution is "accidental, additional, avoidable, casual, causeless, chance, dispensable, excess, exorbitant, expendable, extraneous, extrinsic, fortuitous, futile, gratuitous, haphazard, inessential, irrelevant, lavish, needless, noncompulsory, nonessential, optional, prodigal, profuse, random, redundant, supererogatory, superfluous, surplus, uncalled-for, uncritical, undesirable, unessential, unneeded, unrequired, useless, wanton, worthless". unnecessary

1-It might be said to be accidental because it was a bit of an accident that Darwin read Malthus just at the point where his theory was stuck because up to that point he had been thinking of domesticated animals only.He had no mechanism for how nature selected until he got the struggle for existence idea out of Malthus.

It was also an accident,in a way,that FitzRoy's first choice for the job backed out and The Admiralty's first choice had a wife who looked so forlorn at the prospect that he also declined.

It is also something of an accident that the Beagle didn't suffer shipwreck or some other mishap and that Darwin didn't either.

Of course someone else may have hit upon the idea at a later date.The general notion had been floating about in Europe for some time but it was Darwin noticing changes in species as the ship journeyed south down the west coast of S America that focussed his mind.

Further,if I'm not boring you,court decisions played a part and in cases of this nature the decision is as likely to be based on political considerations as on the facts,or otherwise,of the narrow issue.

It might even be said to be an accident that this one field of science is easy to understand and,as such,attractive to the teaching profession.

It is obviously "additional" because it has been added to the curriculum since I went to school.

It is certainly "avoidable" and, according to a previous poster (wande I think) is indeed avoided by 35% of American science teachers.

From that is may be said to be "casual".

But it is not "causeless". Which rules out "chance" in the mundane use of that word.

"Dispensible","excess", "exhorbitant", "expendable", "extraneous", "extrinsic" and "fortuitous" are thus covered.

I think it futile for young people for many reasons most of which have been done already.

The rest of your list is covered by the above except maybe "irrelevant", "useless" and "worthless". For those, and indeed for all the rest in some degree, it depends on what sort of citizens and what sort of society is to be aimed at in teaching evolution in schools which BTW is not the same as "teaching evolution".

Which Thesaurus did you copy from?

But my opposition to teaching evolution theory is based on many other things which I have previously covered and which are more important than these minor matters.
You have failed to substantiate the claim that the teaching of evolution theory is not needed. You have instead responded that the historical developments of evolution "might be said to be accidental". Not on topic.

Further your use of the words "additional", "added","avoidable" etc. have not been applied in appropriate context to substantiate the claim that the teaching of evolution theory is not needed. For example, let's take your claim: "It is obviously additional because it has been added to the curriculum since I went to school." This is patently absurd and exempt of meaning because at one point or another everything that has ever been taught has been "added" in one fashion or another.

In fact the teacher did not accidentally walk in to the room, the students did not accidentally make their way to the class, etc.

In fact your use of all my thesaurus derived words: "avoidable" "casual" etc, have not been applied in direct and specific context to substantiate the claim that the that the teaching of evolution theory is not needed.

The simple fact of the matter is that the "teaching of evolution is needed, it is purposeful, and with intent. It can demonstrated thusly:

If you sit in on an evolution class you will see organized intent. If you look at the world today you will see the need for the understanding of the sciences of which evolution represents. The teaching of evolution is reflected in everything from improved healthcare to the ability to reason.

Most to the point, you have entirely sidestepped your claim as per
spendius wrote:
The unnecessary and provocative teaching of evolution theory...........
Where is your proof that the teaching of evolution theory is not needed? You have again provided none.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 4 May, 2006 03:46 pm
It is getting a bit tiresome continually ploughing up and down the same furrows. Even the old 'oss is getting fed up.

If you don't wish to raise the stakes above this infantile level after all this time and effort then I don't think you're ever going to be able to do.

You can't teach evolution. You can only teach the details of it. The devil is in the detail.

It's already being taught in great detail in media and in life and in theory and in practice.

Bringing the details into the classroom will simply increase the number of people who have picked up the essentials of it for their own use, and there are already a fairly large number, and if the final result is the eradication of religion,which it must be, the whole of society will consist of people of a similar nature.

Surely you don't think I would have written about Footballer's Wives if it was irrelevant to this debate. And I only used that because it was just about tame enough.

There exists a large section of the population who are against such an outcome,and strongly so, and I believe that if the anti-IDers on here had any idea of what it would look like they would be in the group. To stay out of the group, in order to be different or something, they plod along in these same old furrows backwards and forwards all the while taking advantage of the fact that religious sentiment is still quite strong though less so in cities than in the countryside.

It is the old story of the parasite city hegemony over the countryside and at the last election the red states had a continuous unbroken border within which all was red and having martime outlets.

Get into the next field and up a gear.
0 Replies

Chumly

Thu 4 May, 2006 06:05 pm
You have provided no substantive argument that teaching evolutionary theory is not needed, given the gamut if its benefits from improved healthcare to the ability to reason.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Thu 4 May, 2006 06:07 pm
That's because it's only an opinion, based on erroneous thinking, based on non-fact, based on metaphysical lunacy.
0 Replies

Chumly

Thu 4 May, 2006 06:26 pm
Further Spendi, your claim that teaching evolution will "result is the eradication of religion" is absurd in the extreme. Why?

a) Because there are many religious people who embrace evolution including our mutual friend RexRed.
b) Because there are many faiths in which evolution is not contrary the interpreted dogma.

Further Spendi, even if it were true that teaching evolution will "result is the eradication of religion" you have provided no substantive argument that eradication of religion would be a net negative.

I'll now be tearing a poor living lamb's limbs asunder with great relish for my nocturnal feasting, then I'll be hunting down young virginal beauties for carnal pleasure.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Thu 4 May, 2006 06:46 pm
The teachings of Christ as a prophet will not be supplanted by the study of Evolution, Cosmology, Anthropology, Geology or any science. It does call into question the validity of the Old Testament and Darwin was sorely aware of that fact. Organized religion is an oxymoron -- Christ's teachings can be in one's mind without it, even if one doesn't believe in the Immaculate Conception or the Resurrection. The pomp and circumstance and conflicted resolutions of the churches, temples, synagogues are unnecessary.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 4 May, 2006 11:15 pm
KANSAS UPDATE

Quote:
State School Board candidates oppose new science standard
(Elaine Bessier, Johnson County Sun, May 04, 2006)

All three candidates for the 3rd District seat on the Kansas Board of Education say they would not have voted for Kansas' new science standards approved last November by the conservative majority on the board.

The standards redefine science, challenge the theory of evolution and open the door to teaching intelligent design.

Harry McDonald, Republican, David Oliphant, Republican, and Don Weiss, Democrat, all from Olathe, weighed in on several board issues during a candidate forum April 27 at Shawnee Mission West High School in Overland Park.

John Bacon, R-Olathe, who voted for the new science standards, did not respond to any of three different invitations to attend the forum, said Cynthia Gensheimer, Shawnee Mission Area Council of PTA legislative chairman. The council sponsored the forum.

Bacon has not yet filed for re-election to the seat on the board that he has held for two terms.

The filing deadline for the Aug. 1 primary is June 12. The general election is Nov. 7. The terms are for four years. The 3rd District includes Olathe and the southwest area of the Shawnee Mission School District.

Bacon has not yet filed for re-election to the seat on the board that he has held for two terms.

The filing deadline for the Aug. 1 primary is June 12. The general election is Nov. 7. The terms are for four years. The 3rd District includes Olathe and the southwest area of the Shawnee Mission School District.

Nick Haines, KCPT host of "Kansas City Week in Review," moderated for the forum, attended by about 75 people.

Weiss, 53, said he would have voted "a resounding no" on the science standards the board approved.

"Fordham University rated the standards an F-minus," he said. "For our children to compete in the global economy, I would have voted for the National Teachers of Science standards proposed by the committee majority.

"With students currently applying to go to universities, the perception is that Kansas does not have a quality science program and they may not get into the university they want. I have no doubt, I will vote to change the science standards if I am elected," said Weiss, dean for Keller Graduate School.

Oliphant, 47, an architect, said, "I have three children in elementary, junior high and high school. I decided I could sit around and complain or get involved. I want to see Kansas education get back to where it is respected."

McDonald, 58, the Blue Valley School District coordinating teacher for science and a science teacher at Blue Valley High School from 1974 to 2004, said he has been a strong advocate for the science standards proposed by the science writing committee. The board's conservative majority approved a minority committee recommendation.

On the subject of intelligent design, McDonald said he served as president of Kansas Citizens for Science when the group called for a boycott of hearings on which "the board spent tens of thousands of dollars" to bring experts to Topeka to endorse the theory of intelligent design, which is based on the belief that some features of the natural world are best explained by an intelligent creator rather than an undirected process such as natural selection.

"All three of us take the same position on intelligent design, but I have been lobbying the state board for good science education," McDonald said. "This won't be a new fight for me."

Religion could be taught in a number of social studies classes, McDonald said.

"You do not have to choose between good science and religious faith. I don't feel the two are in conflict and that you have to choose one or the other. Science has absolutely no opinion on God."

Weiss said he believes in a God-created world. "Science is a way of discussing how God's world works. There is no inherent conflict between evolution and God. Evolution is supported by many faiths.

"Once the scientific research has been done, then perhaps intelligent design deserves a place to be taught," Weiss said. "Now, it belongs in philosophy or religion class."

Oliphant said he is a cancer survivor and faith is a byproduct of that ... a way of explaining a higher power.

But Oliphant believes that evolution should be taught analytically, as a straight science, leaving faith out. Tax dollars should not be used to promote any religion, he said.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Fri 5 May, 2006 04:52 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2019269#2019269

Oh look... Another assertion without proof made by Spendius. And he doesn't understand what I'm talking about. Rolling Eyes

Chumly wrote:
Further Spendi, your claim that teaching evolution will "result is the eradication of religion" is absurd in the extreme. Why?

Exactly. Evolution is just an unimpressive footnote to Hinduism and Buddhism. They've been preaching something similar for ages.

Quote:
a) Because there are many religious people who embrace evolution including our mutual friend RexRed.

That too.

Quote:
I'll now be tearing a poor living lamb's limbs asunder with great relish for my nocturnal feasting, then I'll be hunting down young virginal beauties for carnal pleasure.

I take great offence at this sentence because I have nothing better to do.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 5 May, 2006 05:29 am
Chum wrote-

Quote:

Two quotes come to mind-

"Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls."

Ulysses...(1st sentence) James Joyce

"I don't understand women,I just f**k 'em".
Henry Miller (can't remember which book).

Do the parents of the "young virginal beauties" you seek to use for glandular relief approve of their role in your plans? One assumes that the YVBs will extract compensation in some form from your cash flow but you would be well advised to get them to sign Form C1FU/NOW before proceeding to the business and you should demand to see a recent certificate of cleanliness signed by an approved medical practitioner on completion of the appropriate tests, and proof of age. It is also important to make sure that any YVBs you select from the display have been fitted out with the coil or have had their ovaries poisoned and if you are not certain about either you should wear a condom or,preferably,two.The strawberry flavour is the style choice here at the moment.

Quote:

How many is "many"? And for every RexRed there's a Col Cathcart. In the movie of Catch 22 the hero of Psycho was cast as the padre and he was made to look ridiculous. I doubt RexRed's ability to be an effective counter to such propaganda. Vicars,parsons,priests and bishops are routinely made to look foolish on TV. Marriages are now authorised to take place in the most outlandish circumstances and are no more that an expensive and usually meaningless "jolly". The Royal Family and senior Government ministers behave like monkeys now. I don't know anybody who goes to church regularly and my father told me that most people did in his day. Our Government are building 4 million single accomodation units in the south-east alone.

The naming of children after saints is going out of fashion.The psychologists have a name for the condition which is associated with ego blurted self assertion.

In the current exciting news story about our deputy prime minister it turns out that he attended a memorial service for the war dead with his secretary after which they zoomed back to Admirality House for a bout of squelching as Mr Waugh was wont to refer to it. That his credibility has been dented enough for him to go into hiding seems a bit odd in view of the fact that anti-IDism is so popular and adultery is on a par with borrowing a lawn-mower.

I could go on all day.

It's a top down problem Chum and the best brains get to the top and also pick up fastest the moral imperatives of evolution theory and especially those details which suit their purposes and then they set the example for the masses.

Have you really no idea of the relationship between the profit motive and anti-ID for certain sections of the economy? We can't be allowing any effete notions of dignity to be standing in the way of anything as important as profits especially seeing as Darwin's theories were seen by many as providing an intellectual justification for capitalism Enron style.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 5 May, 2006 05:42 am
Wolf wrote-

Quote:
I take great offence at this sentence because I have nothing better to do.

In that case Wolf you might benefit from reading Steven Runciman's The Eastern Schism to see if you can find any parallels between that and this debate. The book is based on seven Waynflete lectures given by Mr Runciman in the University of Oxford in 1954 at the invitation of the President and Fellows of Magdalen College.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 5 May, 2006 01:51 pm
I posted something a few days ago about another new anti-evolution tactic urging "academic bills of rights" that would allow creationism or intelligent design into science curriculum. In today's issue of the Princeton University student newspaper there is a mention of such a proposal at that school:

Quote:
To the extent that there is real substance to the claim that academic freedom is endangered, it comes from the efforts of those like advocates of intelligent design (ID), who want to foist their "theory" on unsuspecting undergraduates who haven't learned enough about science to see through its pretensions of being real science rather than merely being disguised theology. If some Princeton students believe that it is important to have ID represented in the classroom to achieve "balance," then listen to what the American Association of University Professors has to say about this in a new statement: "Balance refers to the obligation of instructors to convey to students the state of knowledge ... There is no obligation to present ideas about intelligent design in a biology course, for example, because those ideas have no standing in the professional community of biologists."

There is a whiff of this spurious notion of balance in the Princeton "Student Bill of Rights," especially in the references to "the exclusion of other opinions and viewpoints" and "intellectual pluralism" in points two and four. Would Princetonians favor giving equal time to ID proponents and Holocaust-deniers, or perhaps even astrologers, among invited speakers and in the classroom?
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 5 May, 2006 02:12 pm
There are some interesting questions there, Wandel, in that student newspaper article. Holocaust deniers, astrologers and proponents of "intelligent design" all have the right to be heard on campus, in my never humble opinion. That does not mean that it is incumbent upon the University to include such material in the curricula offered, however, without a sound basis for stating that they are, respectively, valid historical, astronomical and biological points of view. Before a University, a place at which huge sums of money are spent to reliably educate young people, includes anything in the curricula, it is quite reasonable to insist that what is included is considered to be valid portions of the body of the subject matter, as recognized by established experts in the respective fields.
0 Replies