Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Sat 29 Apr, 2006 10:05 am
Cue Girl Of The North Country. ( 1981 Vienna)
0 Replies

Chumly

Sat 29 Apr, 2006 02:01 pm
farmerman wrote:
Chum and spendi. There is a thread over a few feet from here that is entitled "Worst opening lines for a novel". I would suggest that you both try your hands, feel that, with both of your latest contributions , you would give the others quite a run. (We colonials have to struggle to write poorly, whereas It seems to come naturally to you of British descent)
Things have taken a definitive turn for the worse, farmerman has used both my name and spendius' in the same sentence.
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 29 Apr, 2006 03:25 pm
I thought ascetics welcomed,indeed embraced,turns for the worse.

Indeed anti-IDers must be ascetics as they seek a turn for the worse by their intransigent insistance that only validations of the senses have any value or even meaning.

Their constant refusal to describe a Godless society despite being asked to on a number of occasions suggests an unconscious awareness of that.

They usually change the subject and hope we will forget and that their silence will go un-noticed.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sat 29 Apr, 2006 03:45 pm
spendi, your crystal-transparent straw man that opponents of ID-iocy advocate a "Godless Society" is as baseless as your absurd contention that morality and ethics are religion-dependent.
0 Replies

Chumly

Sat 29 Apr, 2006 03:46 pm
Hi spendius,
I was not aware that I had renounced material comforts for the austere life of self-discipline, in particular as it relates to the act of religious devotion and/or spiritual improvement! Tell me how this came about, in my life, without even my knowledge, and how you managed to discover this.

Vey peculiar as per your claim that "anti-IDers must be ascetics" in that
an ascetic is a person who renounces material comforts and leads a life of austere self-discipline, especially as an act of religious devotion and/or spiritual improvement!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 29 Apr, 2006 05:38 pm
I suppose we can find christians that are also ascetics; nuns maybe.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Sat 29 Apr, 2006 06:46 pm
No, I think they are under an anesthetic.
0 Replies

Chumly

Sat 29 Apr, 2006 08:18 pm
How about the "Gas That Makes You Laugh", nitrous oxide? Good for uplifting the downtrodden spirits of those selfless ascetics, and giving anesthesiologists a buzz during breaks between operations!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 07:27 am
Helium would be even funnier, especially if the Pope got a dose of it. The chipmunk leader of the Catholic church.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 07:49 am
timber wrote-

Quote:
spendi, your crystal-transparent straw man that opponents of ID-iocy advocate a "Godless Society" is as baseless as your absurd contention that morality and ethics are religion-dependent.

I am aware timber that your personal morality and ethics are not religion-dependent in any direct sense. But what matters is what the movers and shakers are like without religion. Morality and ethics are like icebergs.Nine tenths of them are out of sight and have been laid down in a fairly religious setting. In a Godless world that would not happen. Reason would be the source of morality and ethics which is a recipe for battles of wills each backed up by subjective reasons.

If opponents of ID don't want a Godless society then their attacks on belief,stringent as they are, are similar to the actions of a vandal who kicks the bus shelter glass in but doesn't wish to prevent the bus coming.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 08:13 am
Chum wrote-

Quote:
Hi spendius,
I was not aware that I had renounced material comforts for the austere life of self-discipline,

I wasn't saying that you had renounced material comforts personally. I was suggesting that you were renouncing them for your sons and grandsons etc and for sons and grandsons etc generally. What ever the outcome of this dispute won't affect you Chum.

A simple example will suffice I hope. A full blown anti-IDer, which very few are, a scientist one might say, does not eat a meal. He ingests necessary parts of the nutrient bed in which he finds himself. His wine has no bouquet-it is 12 or 13% and its origin is of no importance. He doesn't make love, he relieves sexual tension in manners similar to Gustave Flaubert in the brothel wearing only his top hat and blowing cigar smoke rings at his grinning image in the large mirror. An 18th century sailor on a British man-o-war would understand.

He would be austere, as science obviously is, and abstinent and only partake of such activities when biology dictated rather than when a felt sense of self-esteem did. As an austere,scientific ascetic he would need no artificial props to his self-esteem as Al Einstein didn't.
0 Replies

Chumly

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 11:22 am
There is no correlation between believing in zombies, ghosts, angels, devils, burning bushes, talking animals, ethereal voices, etc and true enlightenment. Self imposed ignorance = campfire stories = fear.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 11:26 am
But some people equate seeing their own family members with seeing god.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 11:37 am
I'm afraid that I have no idea what the last two posts are meant to mean.
Are they forms of booing?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 11:50 am
spendi, And you never will.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 12:01 pm
I'm very glad about that.

"Some people" do all sorts of wierd and wonderful things so it doesn't surprise me that some people do what you said they do. I still don't know what it is supposed to mean though. If you believe you smeared the whole of the ID camp with it then you must be living in a little dream world all of your own.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 12:47 pm
pancakes ... bunnies .... no! No! .... must .... resist ... must resisst ....

ahhhh, whutthuhell ....

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/9199/bunny9hj.jpg

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/492/bunny2wc.gif
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 12:53 pm
Are we taking pap smears from ID'ers now?
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 03:27 pm
Okay then timber-

Who are the "some people" who equate seeing their own family members with seeing God?

It's a new one on me. Maybe it's fairly common where you are. I've heard of equating things like suns and moons and mountains and waterfalls and even little freshwater springs with seeing God but one's family members is ridiculous. One has usually seen one's family members toddle off to the toilet for Number Two's and have been forced by circumstances to follow them in and who has not seen one's family members picking their nose or scratching in hard to get at places.

I do not quite see how you justify another go at the rabbit punch mouldy pancake artistry. (I'm assuming it's mouldy due to its extreme age and its obvious lack of mobility.)
0 Replies

wandeljw

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 04:53 pm
KANSAS UPDATE

Quote:
Schools should be focus, say bishops
0 Replies