Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 05:04 pm
wande quoted-

Quote:
and steer away from hot-button issues.

Experience has taught me that such advice ought not to be underestimated.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 05:07 pm
wande quoted-

Quote:
attended by about 125 people

About how many is that scientifically?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 05:39 pm
Laughing Well, I hope you didn't mean mathematically.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 05:53 pm
wande quoted-

Quote:
The purpose of the meeting, they said, was to get people energized and interested in public education and other issues, such as the plight of low-income Kansans.

What????Bishops interested in the plight of low-income Kansans.

Are you taking the piss wande?
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 05:56 pm
wande quoted-

Quote:
"We want to make sure that all children and youth have access to good programs of education," said the Rev. Gerald Mansholt, bishop of the Central States Synod, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

Has he explained that we should all wait at red traffic lights yet and not put our hands in a fire.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 06:02 pm
wande quoted-

Quote:
She said the conference was "exciting."

I'll bet it was.

I read in Mr Clinton's book about a bloke who said that he wouldn't eat dinner with anybody who had got through Senate confirmation sessions.

After reading your latest quote I can quite understand what he meant.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 06:08 pm
wande quoted-

Quote:
John Lillard Burch, a bioscience investor

What's one of them wande?

I can't believe this. Does that sort of stuff past muster. I thought our local rags were bad but this is too far fetched for a fiction writer.

It is shredding the English language which is your only known means of communicating with each other.
0 Replies

Chumly

Sun 30 Apr, 2006 10:40 pm
Question: how does primordial dwarfism fit into the implications of intelligent design theory?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Mon 1 May, 2006 02:08 am
Quote:
Evolution makes the grade at Christian colleges
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 1 May, 2006 04:42 am
Chum wrote-

Quote:
Question: how does primordial dwarfism fit into the implications of intelligent design theory?

Well Chum- I assume pd is or was a sensory reality and implications of theories are abstract concepts so I'm not sure "fit" is appropriate.

How does "ugliness" or "beauty" fit into the implications of modern,guilt-ridden,watered-down serial-monogamy theory is a similar question.

What is primordial dwarfism anyway.Is it physical or mental?

Which version of ID are you referring to although I can guess it is,in this case,to one of the versions which is simple,easily refutable by mundane,superficial analysis and thus providing opportunities for displays of righteous indignation and playground witticisms in those intellectual settings which most lend themselves to their appreciation.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 1 May, 2006 05:20 am
Chum, you must recall that spendi is the proud user of a "random phrase generator"
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 1 May, 2006 06:56 am
You might also bear in mind Chum that fm is one of those fortunate individuals, who seem to be endemic in North America, who have come to believe,presumably due to choosing the amenable and inferior company often found in small ponds,that their fatuous pronouncements have scientific validity on the conclusive evidence that they have been formed in their own brains and have gushed forth from their big gobs or their fingertips and that because such evidence is convincing to themselves it will be convincing to everyone else and not be seen for what it actually is which is a form of iconoclastic ID in which the superempirical deity is the self.

I would imagine that within the realms of "primordial dwarfism" it was just as common as it seems to be now and thus provides a partial answer to your earlier question.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Mon 1 May, 2006 08:52 am
Another new anti-evolution tactic is the "Academic Bill of Rights". I have seen this tactic used in state legislation, but it is also used for individual school policy. Ray Rice, a professor at the University of Maine, describes a proposal that has been introduced at his school:

Quote:
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 1 May, 2006 09:38 am
Chumly wrote:

How does it fit into natural selection, for that matter?

Your question is not very different from that of Dostoyevski's "Grand Inquisitor" to the figure of Christ in "The Brothers Karamazov". I refer you to the novel for his answer.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 1 May, 2006 10:05 am
George-

As this is Ask an Expert and you are obviously the expert on the madman's writings would you please furnish for us the question and the answer.
0 Replies

Chumly

Mon 1 May, 2006 11:13 am
spendius wrote:
Well Chum- I assume pd is or was a sensory reality and implications of theories are abstract concepts so I'm not sure "fit" is appropriate.

How does "ugliness" or "beauty" fit into the implications of modern,guilt-ridden,watered-down serial-monogamy theory is a similar question.

What is primordial dwarfism anyway.Is it physical or mental?

Which version of ID are you referring to although I can guess it is,in this case,to one of the versions which is simple,easily refutable by mundane,superficial analysis and thus providing opportunities for displays of righteous indignation and playground witticisms in those intellectual settings which most lend themselves to their appreciation.
Here is primordial dwarfism. As to the version of ID I am referring to, you can use any popular definition as long as you define it at least somewhat.

georgeob1 wrote:
Chumly wrote:

How does it fit into natural selection, for that matter?

Your question is not very different from that of Dostoyevski's "Grand Inquisitor" to the figure of Christ in "The Brothers Karamazov". I refer you to the novel for his answer.
The point is that primordial dwarfism does not have to "fit into natural selection" because it's not implicit in natural selection to have a purpose, intent, reason. But, intelligent design theory overtly infers a purpose, intent, reason. See the difference?

Nonetheless primordial dwarfism does adhere to the implications of the scientific theory of natural selection because of it's demonstrable randomization of certain genetic predispositions and/or other natural random forces. See the difference?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Mon 1 May, 2006 11:33 am
OREGON UPDATE

Quote:
Professor explores clash of science with creationism
(BY MARY ANN ALBRIGHT, Corvallis Gazette-Times, May 1, 2006)

A scientist can be deeply religious, but when explaining the creation of the Earth, religion and science must be kept separate, according to Steven Arnold, a leading evolutionary biologist at Oregon State University.

"If you ask most of the world's religions how they feel about evolution, there's no problem. Protestant fundamentalists, however, conflate science and religion. They see evolution and most of science as being on a collision course with their faith," said Arnold, a professor of zoology.

Arnold received the 2005 F.A. Gilfillan Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Science. On Tuesday, he'll present a lecture, "Intelligent Design and Evolutionary Biology: When Worlds Collide," exploring the ongoing debate between evolution and theories of intelligent design.

"Over the last 80 years, Protestant fundamentalism has repeatedly collided with evolutionary biology in an effort to thwart the teaching of Darwinism in public schools," Arnold said.

Creationism is the belief in the literal interpretation of the Bible's account of the creation of the universe and all living things. The Supreme Court outlawed the teaching of creationism in public schools in 1987, calling it a violation of the First Amendment, which mandates separation of church and state.

According to Arnold, intelligent design is a repackaging of creationism intended to circumvent the law. It draws support from Protestant fundamentalists who read the Bible literally.

"It's packaging religion as science. The scientific community sees intelligent design as a hoax, an attempt to trick the public into believing religion is science when it's not," he said.

Proponents of intelligent design argue that "the world is too complex to have arrived by ordinary biological processes. It's irreducibly complex," Arnold said.

While intelligent design theory doesn't offer an explanation of what besides natural processes could have created the world, the assumption is God, Arnold said.
0 Replies

Chumly

Mon 1 May, 2006 11:37 am
farmerman wrote:
Chum, you must recall that spendi is the proud user of a "random phrase generator"
Holy universal mortality control drivers , it's...the epigram random phrase generator!

"Instant news release to cover up a potentially embarrassing incident:
The current political recession is due to controlled political impairment .

Instant housing development namer:
Welcome to grassy , warm Meadow Point Ranch !

Once upon a time, The hideous slime slipped hastily across the nuclear power facility and cleaned the wood . Suddenly, We wandered hastily beneath the World Trade Center and destroyed the stream . Then, finally, The creature flew mercilessly across the river and above the spaceship. And they all lived happily ever after. The end.

...and remember:
Two heads killed one's chickens before they've hatched."
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 1 May, 2006 12:23 pm
wande-

Mr Rice, in keeping with the usual posture of anti-IDers, seems blissfully unaware of the dynamic relationship between personal autonomy (academic freedom and intellectual diversity) and the well being of the social group and the individual.

He is obviously one, of a very large group, who has a powerful hang-up on the notion that he has been conditioned and indoctrinated just like everybody else. This allows him to pretend that there are no areas of research and discourse which are closed off to academic freedom and intellectual diversity which is plainly not the case.

There are two positions basically. The one says that society is dependent on the individual and the other that the individual is dependent on society.
Mr Rice,and anti-IDers in general,are in favour of the former.

Yet society has an existence before they were born and after they are dead.They owe everything,including their own existence and well being to their society and when this notion is not integrated into their inner concsciousness they have no capacity for having genuine feelings of awe and reverence to anything outside of themselves. In extreme language they are dissidents. For those who know that the individual is dependent,and thus subservient,to society then society has the power to inspire those feelings of reverence and awe.

As society cannot attain the desired results except through the actions of the individuals it is necessary for it to obtain the unconscious cooperation of these members. The individuals must therefore forget their purely animal urges and submit to some level of frustration and sacrifice or society would cease to exist and become a collection of egos each pursuing goals of their own and following their inclinations and instincts.

There are two methods of achieving this necessary aim,though anarchists and nihilists might not accept the necessity.

One is to have levels of conditioning and indoctrination of a higher order that we are used to backed up with the use of force exercised to whatever degree is required.North Korea is some way along this road and all forms of communism are dependent upon it.

The other way is to have an imaginary symbol of society such as God where the reverence and awe due to God symbolises the reverence and awe due to society which is too intangible a concept to work on its own.If God is likewise too intangible concrete smybols of God are used such as ritual,ceremony,icons and revelations.

It seems to me that to question the validity of these concrete symbols questions the symbol of God and thus ultimately questions the validity of society as being hierarchically superior to the individual.

These ideas can be studied in Durkheim's Elementary Forms of the Religious Life which have been developed further,particularly in the USA,so that the various symbols become a functional contingency of a cohesive society whilst avoiding a totalitarian outcome. It is the effect of the beliefs,rites and symbols which becomes crucial and not the validity of them intrinsically as I have been pointing out all along.

One can only imagine that anti-IDers feel they will benefit from a totalitarian society or that they are simply naive egotists who don't know which way up is and like the sound of breaking glass.

Gandhi said that the worship of the cow is "the central fact of Hinduism,the one concrete belief of all Hindus". To set out to show that the cow is not a sacred animal completely misses the point which is the effect of such a belief on the unifying principle of Hindu social organisation and its rules of behaviour.

This is why anti-IDers simply refuse to go anywhere near the structural-functionalist argument and slip quietly away into their cosy fossils and rock formations etc etc etbloodycetera where they find comfort in displaying their undoubted expertise in such irrelevancies interesting though they might be like many word games.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 1 May, 2006 12:26 pm
If not for the fossil and rock formations that provides evidence of the past, what else can science depend on? You?
0 Replies