Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

Chumly

Thu 27 Apr, 2006 03:40 pm
timberlandko wrote:
If I thought there were anything to reincarnation, I'd peg spendi as this era's Montague Summers.
Oh, I have read a book by Aleister Crowley many years ago.
0 Replies

Chumly

Thu 27 Apr, 2006 04:05 pm
wandeljw wrote:
(chumly: i think spendius is not concerned about the scientific merits of either intelligent design or evolution. he simply feels that teaching evolution would somehow lead to moral corruption.)

I want to clarify what I said earlier about metaphysics. In religious terms, the intelligent designer would be a deity. In metaphysical terms, the intelligent designer would be a "first cause" or "prime mover".

The subjective perception of morality (or the lack thereof) is entirely irrelative to the fact of evolution (as I am sure you agree). To imply any congruence would be the equivalent of claiming the length of a woman's skirt is a function of a bacterium's adaptability.

As to your second point a so called "intelligent designer" need neither be a deity in religious terms nor a "first cause" or "prime mover" in metaphysical terms. Based on the assumption that the topic is real in any sense whatsoever (which I question given my understanding of space-time and cosmological causality) I would argue that man's own future science/technology has just as much veracity (if not more) for being a cause (ultimate or sequential) as does your two ideas.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 27 Apr, 2006 04:12 pm
Chumly, With biotech and DNA research, your opinion about man's influence in this world makes more sense than any theistic creator/mover.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 27 Apr, 2006 05:14 pm
Chum wrote-

Quote:
To imply any congruence would be the equivalent of claiming the length of a woman's skirt is a function of a bacterium's adaptability.

And no self respecting bacterium would have it anywhere but at least half way up the back.

What's your definition of a woman Chum. A scientific one if you don't mind. We don't want any shilly-shallying. This is a scientific thread.
0 Replies

Chumly

Thu 27 Apr, 2006 06:14 pm
Hmm……. I'll offer a triple pun on women's moods, a sexual position and a book: Even Reverse Cowgirls Get the Blues

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Reverse Cowgirl
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 27 Apr, 2006 10:12 pm
UK UPDATE

Quote:
Alarmed head axes creation lecture
(Graeme Paton, Times Educational Supplement, 28 April 2006)

A secondary school has cancelled a visit by a leading creationist who claims to have found evidence proving Noah's flood really happened.

Alan Harvey, head of Millfield high, on Lancashire's Fylde coast, said that John Mackay's views rejecting the theory of evolution were too extreme and his presentation of them too unbalanced.

Mr Mackay, a former science teacher from Australia, had been due to address pupils at the non-denominational school as part of a controversial UK tour.

Secular groups had criticised the lecture, one of a series at schools, church halls and universities, saying it amounted to an attempt to "indoctrinate" youngsters.

But now Mr Harvey has cancelled the visit, which was due to take place in May, saying the creationist's views are incompatible with the theory of natural selection presented elsewhere in the curriculum.

It would have been the second time Mr Mackay had spoken at the school following a talk to religious education pupils during a previous visit to the UK.
Mr Harvey said: "We have decided against proceeding with it. We observed how it went last time and we felt it was not appropriate. We thought he was too strongly focused on creationism and not sufficiently balanced to give the broader view of evolution as well."

Organisers of Mr Mackay's tour declined to identify Millfield as a venue, claiming that the lecture there was in danger of being "hijacked" by secular groups.

Mr Harvey said Millfield, which was only identified following local enquiries by The TES, is a non-denominational school with "strong" links to local churches. A number of governors are local clergymen, it plans to open its own chapel and inspectors noted in its last Ofsted report that pupils are skilled at arguing "for or against an atheistic view of the creation of the universe".

Mr Harvey said: "As a scientist and a Christian myself, I like to see a broad perspective expressed rather than one that's specifically geared towards one view and the rejection of all the others."
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 28 Apr, 2006 03:09 am
They are pretty sensible these northern English folk.

Millfield High is close to Blackpool and connected with British Aerospace so you have the two extremes of human endeavour.

Chum-not a very satisfactory definition I'm afraid for a scientific mind of a word you used yourself.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 28 Apr, 2006 03:42 am
Quote:
spendius wrote:
timber wrote-

Quote:
If I thought there were anything to reincarnation, I'd peg spendi as this era's Montague Summers.

Tried him. Totally unreadable. Not a spark to set my gas on fire.

That speaks well for evolution.

Of course I have read his translation of Malleus Malificarum. I have a first edition. That was written in the 15th century by Bishops Kramer and Sprenger and despite its turgidity is a useful book for those interested in Christian theology.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 28 Apr, 2006 04:54 am
UK UPDATE

Quote:
Schools minister says creationism has no place in classroom science
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 28 Apr, 2006 05:16 am
wande quoted-

Quote:
However, young people are poorly served by deliberate attempts to withhold, distort or misrepresent scientific knowledge and understanding in order to promote particular religious beliefs."

Might I refer readers to Post No 2005232 on page 512 for a clarification of "poorly served" which is a bald assertion in the context and,in general,naive.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 28 Apr, 2006 05:56 am
Steve Jones and John MacKay (?) have just now been arguing on BBC Radio 2. Quite funny really.

Listeners are being invited to contribute to fill in between MOR music.
0 Replies

Chumly

Fri 28 Apr, 2006 01:21 pm
Spendius,
Have you ever dialogued with RexRed? It would be very interesting indeed. He hangs here. A clash of the titans, or a meeting of the minds, time awaits.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 28 Apr, 2006 03:15 pm
No I haven't ever dialogued with RR Chum.

Why do you think it would be interesting?

I don't know about Titans but I suppose it is possible that we might not see eye-to-eye on some things. The only reason he goes round and round in circles is that he can't resist doing so when you lot of Godless infidels provoke him and then you start going around as well.

I have given my version of intelligent design over the posts and last week in particular. It's a theological problem. That is to say a combination of sociology and psychology. That's why I'm incoherent. I don't give a sod what I think. At the moment I'm thinking I'll be in the pub in half an hour watching the monkeys. It's no good watching myself or my mates because all we are doing is getting tanked up and that's boring. Usually I mean but Vic's wife has kicked him out finally after a five month struggle so it livened up a bit but that's much too long a story to tell on here fascinating though it is.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 28 Apr, 2006 03:23 pm
MISSISSIPPI UPDATE

Quote:
New Law Allows for Creationism in the Classroom
(Associated Press, April 28, 2006)

JACKSON, Miss. -- School officials can't prohibit teachers and students from discussing how life began under a new state law signed by Gov. Haley Barbour.

As originally drafted, the measure was designed to foster discussions about the theory of "intelligent design" and flaws with Darwin's explanation of how humans evolved. However, the Legislature expanded it to simply say no limits can be imposed on teachers and students in class talking about "the origin of life."

Intelligent design is presented as an alternative to natural explanations for evolution, but at least one court ruled it out of public schools because it's considered religious doctrine. A federal judge in Pennsylvania last year said intelligent design is not science and is essentially religion, which the U.S. Supreme Court says can't be taught in public schools.

The bill, which took effect with Barbour's signature, passed the Legislature in March.

"No local school board, school superintendent or school principal shall prohibit a public school classroom teacher from discussing and answering questions from individual students on the origin of life," the bill reads.

While banning school leaders from muzzling classroom discussions on this subject, the new law isn't as detailed as the initial version. The Senate had voted to prohibit schools from stifling classroom discussions about the "flaws or problems which may exist in Charles Darwin's Theory of Evolution and the existence of other theories of evolution, including, but not limited to, the Intelligent Design explanation of the origin of life." The House rejected that language, prompting legislative negotiators to draft the less explicit compromise that's now law.

Local school officials say they've not had a problem and worry the new law is so vague that court challenges may loom.

"That's probably something that's going to be contested. It is very vague," said Lowndes County schools Superintendent Mike Halford of the need for clarification of what can be discussed in the classroom.

"We're starting to see lawsuits pop up from this," said Halford, pointing to other states where disputes have sprung up about what students can be taught about the origin of life. "It's just a problem we don't need," he said.

Columbus High School Principal LaNell Kellum said her school hasn't faced disputes about what evolutionary theories can be discussed in class. "In all my years, we have not had a problem with that. That has not been an issue," Kellum said. "We've not had a problem with that in Columbus."

Noting Darwin's theory of evolution is part of the state's school curriculum, she said teachers use professional ethics and follow the state-written guidelines for teaching their subjects. "Our teachers have been able to use their professional judgment and teach the curriculum without a problem," she said.
0 Replies

Chumly

Fri 28 Apr, 2006 03:33 pm
Are you suggesting I am a godless wild dog, part of an encircling pack of ravenous atheistic heathens, tearing at the moral fiber of poor innocent RexRed, and that through all this, somehow, alcoholic spirits are the answer to the negative implications of evolution, and that you refuse to come to RexREd's service?

Does Vic's wife have religious beliefs?
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 28 Apr, 2006 05:16 pm
I don't really know Chum. I only ever had one brief conversation with her which seemed to be focussed on self-aggrandisment.

If I could get evens on "no" I might consider putting half my property on it as long as assertions don't count as evidence.

wande-

I've been checking around on Ms Smith as a result of you bringing the tweeter into this debate and I think she is a part of that Guardian/The Independent/The Observer bag of tricks. Perhaps you are not aware of what they stand for but I am and I can't say I'm all that enthusiastic about it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 28 Apr, 2006 05:34 pm
Chum and spendi. There is a thread over a few feet from here that is entitled "Worst opening lines for a novel". I would suggest that you both try your hands, feel that, with both of your latest contributions , you would give the others quite a run. (We colonials have to struggle to write poorly, whereas It seems to come naturally to you of British descent)
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 28 Apr, 2006 05:42 pm
Well fm-

Dylan's a Russian and Veblen had English as a second language and both of them are way out beyond anything I can do.

It's to do with being accurate.Scientific if you like.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 29 Apr, 2006 04:50 am
Quote:
Dylan's a Russian
From the gulag of Bemidji.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sat 29 Apr, 2006 09:45 am
farmerman wrote:
Quote:
Dylan's a Russian
From the gulag of Bemidji.

Yup, up there in the empty, ice-bound, snow-swept, wind-blasted steppes of Minnesota. Hardy folks thereabouts.
0 Replies