Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

cicerone imposter

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:22 am
wandel, When we talk about "intelligent design," we're talking about the human kind. You know, Hooters. LOL
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:27 am
Designed by an intelligent plastic surgeon.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:57 am
It is difficult to know what to say at this juncture.

If you find those girls in China "titillating" my advice is the convert to flat-out IDism right away. You are certainly not ready for evolutionists.
0 Replies

Chumly

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 01:53 pm
It's "Seven of Nine" all over again, thank the Borg they did one thing, err I mean two things right!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 02:18 pm
Chumly wrote:
It's "Seven of Nine" all over again, thank the Borg they did one thing, err I mean two things right!

Ahhh, yes - Seven of Nine - God's gift to Spandex

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/3788/7of9stilljpegph1bj.jpg
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 02:21 pm
No-I'm sorry Chum.

Seven is in a movie. I'm talking about them coming along the sidewalk giggling together like they do in the Avon advert in Footballer's Wives when they make a snidey jest about the size or capability of the beefcake's pride and joy. Rhyming slang for toy.

You can keep Seven under control in the editing suite.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 02:24 pm
Hey timber-

You've managed to get a pic. on without it causing the rest of the world to use that sliding thing backwards and forwards to read posts and get on the next page. Many thanks.
0 Replies

Chumly

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 02:35 pm
Spendius:
Am I to exhume you subscribe to neo-Puritanism? That's a rather anti-evolutionary stance for such a forward thinker as yourself.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 03:21 pm
Chum wrote-

Quote:
Spendius:
Am I to exhume you subscribe to neo-Puritanism? That's a rather anti-evolutionary stance for such a forward thinker as yourself.

That constitutes an assertion. You question whether an anti evolution stance is suitable for a forward thinker knowing that I take such a stance which implies that I'm a backward thinker which is to say,presumably,in your terms,stupid. Why don't you just say it like the others do?

I don't see neo-Puritanism,whatever it is, a label I suppose, being linked to an anti-evolutionary stance. It might be anti-evolutionary from a human perspective to insist upon the scientific mantras so often repeated on here. That's what the serious argument is about.

A subjective truth may have an objective reality.
0 Replies

Chumly

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 03:28 pm
Given the topic had swayed / bounced / jostled to breasts, I figured you'd grapple it in context.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 03:45 pm
Chumly wrote:
Given the topic had swayed / bounced / jostled to breasts, I figured you'd grapple it in context.

That might be a stretch beyond the capability even of spandex.
0 Replies

Chumly

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 03:51 pm
Damn the torpedoes, push the envelope!
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 05:23 pm
Are you an Inland Revenue Inspector?
0 Replies

Chumly

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 05:28 pm
I used to have an image of the "Revenue" as being a very formal environment but actually we all pride ourselves on the friendly and supportive culture in our offices. We are all on first-name terms with each other. Even me, the Chairman, Sir Chumly, insist that everyone call me Chum - and they all do!
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 05:39 pm
I'm not in the least surprised.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 06:25 pm
In the fishing grounds, "chum" is a pultice of ground up rotting fish and offal. Its a name Id steer clear from when talking to statesiders.

"Chumming" is the act of shovelling large quantities of this aromatic glop overboard in order to attract pelagic fish, like tuna or swordfish.
0 Replies

Chumly

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 06:42 pm
As the self appointed bandleader humorist you are presently pegged as "Farmerman: spell checker both magic and typos", (see text in green).

However you could be relegated to Roadie 2nd class, night shift, equipment truck three, back up driver two. If this happens your accumulated pension is waived and the net proceeds distributed to the Real Life Institute For Creation Research.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 06:52 pm
please, you have me wrong, I usually play country music, so I must respectfully decline. After all, I must retain my objectivity.

As for your band name, how about "Primo Soup"?
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 27 Apr, 2006 10:57 am
I suppose someone ought to make the effort to break out from these distractions and subterfuges which have allowed anti-IDers to make their failure to address my last two questions something to be easily forgotten by those with short attention spans.

In pursuit of this goal and of returning to the discussion might I make a few comments drawn from Professor White's 1995 essay on the philosophical problems in education.

At one point he sets out to distinguish between the educational aim of "personal autonomy" and "personal well-being".

In doing so he says: " In tradition directed societies those responsible for children's upbringing seek to promote their well-being, but hardly their autonomy, given that goals are ascribed by custom and not chosen. The practical import of this is clear as soon as one reflects on the multicultural nature of British ( or American etc) society and the duties laid on, for example, certain religious parents and communities to bring up their children in values at odds with personal autonomy."

He goes on later in the essay to say: " Commonly it has to do with bringing about behaviour in accordance either with moral codes or with higher-order rational moral principles. But recent work on virtue-ethics has called this rule based approach into question, suggesting that we should rather think first of how to bring children up to be kind, courageous, friendly, co-operative, loyal.(Virtues.) This is a far from ivory-tower matter: it has implications, for instance, for the way we think about teacher-training--as well as about parental education and the role of media in the formation and deformation of character."

In other words, as I have repeatedly pointed out, the classroom and the science classroom cannot by placed in a box simply because it is easier to consider that way and facilitates simplistic judgements.

It is quite obvious that tradition-direction and custom are more prevelant in rural,agricultural areas and that high degrees of personal autonomy are favoured in cities and industrial areas which have high levels of occupational and geographical mobility.

It is also obvious that personal autonomy is a powerful force in evolution and the teaching of evolution without a counterveiling philosophy is bound to result in a sense that personal autonomy is of a higher value than custom and tradition and such a scheme cannot but result in atomisation of society and enhanced feelings of loneliness.

As I don't see how evolution,with its scientific rigour, can be taught side by side with the conterveiling philosophy I would say that dropping the teaching of evolution,as we have been informed 35% of American science teachers have done, is the best way out of the impasse or that individual States may be allowed to decide for themselves. Evolution can easily be taken up later in life as has been proved on here and elsewhere.

In another part of the essay Professor White says this: "Already the Peters-Hirst version of liberal education has drawn the fire of some Marxists and other left-wingers who saw the pursuit of knowledge for its own sake as an ideal suitable only to a leisured elite."

Perhaps anti IDers wish to give the impression that they are members of such an elite by taking a theoretical abstract stance at odds with the social realities but as it is often self-evident from their literary capacities that no such designation is applicable one is left to ponder their possible Marxist or left-wing ideals.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 27 Apr, 2006 11:01 am
spendi, If you want to talk about "social realities," your attempts to merge ID with any reality has no basis in logic. It's all imagination and emotional outcome without any evidence. Leave "realities" out of it.
0 Replies