Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

cicerone imposter

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 07:34 pm
It was all in god's plans.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 05:37 am
Quote:
Merits of intelligent design, evolution debated
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:20 am
Sounds like a bunch of leering old cocks to me wande looking for an excuse not to answer my last question as per usual.

It isn't as if the uniforms are in the slightest bit "skimpy" and the tits are average too.Voyeurs United 0,ID City 10.(Half time score).

Isn't it pimping using young girls to attract men to eat expensive shite.

Well-is it or isn't it?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:36 am
It would help, Spendius, if you weren't so off-topic.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:48 am
To be fair, I don't think the diversion was initiated by spendius but by ci with the Hooter's comment some posts to the rear.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:48 am
Sorry-I hadn't seen wande's post of the totally hopeless debate at the SMU campus.

My post there was a more forceful reminder than yours that the topic had been sidelined as soon as peek-a-boo nearly sex reared its ugly head.

More stylish too.

Perhaps you hadn't seen the Hooters stuff. We had quotes from Electrician's Handbook recently as well.

Do you think anti-IDers are getting rattled? What did you think of my last question?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:53 am
That's no excuse. Very Happy
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:05 am
spendius wrote:
Sorry-I hadn't seen wande's post of the totally hopeless debate at the SMU campus.

Ah, that explains it. I hate it when that sort of thing happens, you post and suddenly realise that umpteen different people have posted before you and made your post redudnant or confusing. Still, what can you do?

Quote:
Do you think anti-IDers are getting rattled? What did you think of my last question?

Judging from your last post, I think IDers are getting rattled. I've never used the term "leering old cocks" and the tone of your last sentence seemed very angry to me. Though, I could be wrong. It's difficult to read someone's emotional tones through their words alone.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:09 am
UK UPDATE

Quote:
'Creationist' school is praised
(BBC News, April 26, 2006)

Emmanuel College, in Gateshead, is backed by Christian philanthropist Sir Peter Vardy, whose beliefs have made him a controversial figure.

The city technology college was called "remarkable" in the latest report.
It is now one of only 12 secondary schools in the country to have received three consecutive top ratings.

Emmanuel College has a strong Christian ethos but has attracted controversy by teaching Biblical creationism as well as evolutionary theory.

National Union of Teachers leader Steve Sinnott recently said wealthy businessmen should not be able to exert "undue influence" over the way academies were run.

Nigel McQuoid, who chairs Emmanuel's governing body, said: "For Sir Peter Vardy, who so often bears the brunt of unfair criticism over his personal financial support of Emmanuel College and its sister academies in Middlesbrough and Doncaster, this is a hat-trick of which he and everyone connected with Emmanuel is rightly proud."

Sir Peter said recently he believed God had created the Earth and man in his own image.

"Quite how long it took him I don't know and frankly I don't care," he said.

If God had wanted to create the Earth in six days he could have done, he added - but he said that he, as sponsor, had no say in what was taught in the schools.

The Emmanuel foundation says its schools teach the theory of evolution, as required by the national curriculum for science.

Creation is taught in religious education. But the two concepts "touch" at points, it says.

This approach has the approval of the Department for Education and Skills and Ofsted, it says, so parents can be assured the issue is not presented as "certain more sensationalist commentators" suggest.

The foundation (ESF) "holds that God made the world and all that is in it".
"ESF holds also that the Bible is God's Word to the world and that it is true."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:15 am
That "created man in his own image" part is the most disturbing egotism ever written.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:50 am
DOVER PENNSYLVANIA UPDATE

Quote:
Jones talks judicial caution
(By MICHELLE STARR, York Daily Record, Apr 26, 2006)

The judicial branch is no place for politics, Judge John E. Jones III told a crowd Tuesday afternoon at Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg.

The federal judge from Pottsville ruled in December that Dover's intelligent-design policy was unconstitutional. Since then, he has been the target of various comments, and some of the negative criticisms concern him.

Jones was among the speakers at a two-day convocation at the Gettysburg Lutheran Theological Seminary. Though he was slated to speak about the Constitution's Establishment Clause - that Congress cannot pass laws "respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting free exercise thereof" - as part of the seminary's spring convocation, he instead talked about the broader issue of the public blurring the lines between the branches of government.

The talk is one of about 12 he scheduled from January through May. He said he's going to take advantage of the opportunity to educate the public, which he said few judges tend to do.

The judicial system is no place for political leanings or for judges to use their jobs to rule in favor of the majority opinion, he said. That is the role of the executive and legislative branches. Instead, judges should make decisions based on the law, not based on personal affiliation, he said.

"We must remember that we have a rule of law," he said. "It is not a conservative or liberal value. It is not a Republican or Democratic value . . .The rule is rather an American value."

He called on those attending to work against what he called the dumbing down that is occurring in America.

After the talk, he said he had known that public opinion was leaning toward the belief that politics rule on the bench, but he didn't realize the magnitude until the high-profile Dover case landed on his docket.

It was after he gave his 139-page opinion against Dover Area School District that some comments - including those made on a Bill O'Reilly show and in a Phyllis Schlafly column - crossed the line.

They weren't intellectual discussions about the establishment or the process he used to make his decision.

For example, Schlafly wrote, "Judge John E. Jones III could still be chairman of the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board if millions of evangelical Christians had not pulled the lever for George W. Bush in 2000. Yet this federal judge, who owes his position entirely to those voters and the president who appointed him, stuck the knife in the backs of those who brought him to the dance in Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District."

Jones cautioned the group to avoid labels as well because - as Schlafly's comments show - he had been pegged.

And even though the Rev. Michael Cooper-White, seminary president, asked Jones how his faith played a role in Jones' decision, Jones said his faith is personal and the greatest impact was when his pastor, Harold Hand of Trinity Lutheran Church in Pottsville, gave him a hug the day after the ruling was issued.

Hand had told Jones that he was proud. On Tuesday, Hand added, "I was certainly hoping that was the way he was going to rule."

After Jones' speech, members in the crowd asked questions or offered comments on issues ranging from the separation of church and state to actions made by the George W. Bush administration.

Some recognized the work of Jones and the teachers in Dover.
"We do certainly want to commend you for your courage," said Donald Moeser, an interim pastor at Bethel Lutheran Church in Trenton, N.J., and 1962 seminary graduate.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:51 am
wande quoted-

Quote:
National Union of Teachers leader Steve Sinnott recently said wealthy businessmen should not be able to exert "undue influence" over the way academies were run.

He's some realist I don't think. Oxford and Cambridge are loaded with rich men's foundations and things like Rhodes scholarships and Thorstein Veblen in The Higher Learning in America claims at length that American colleges are essential business enterprises dedicated to turning out businessmen.

Quote:
Creation is taught in religious education. But the two concepts "touch" at points, it says.

Gross understatement.

Wolf wrote-

Quote:
and the tone of your last sentence seemed very angry to me.

I never get angry mate. It's unhealthy and counterproductive.

The "leering old cocks" jest was a reminder to the antis that they were too easily distracted from the topic. I speculated that they might be punched out as an explanation for the Hooters drivel.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:56 am
LW wrote-

Quote:
That "created man in his own image" part is the most disturbing egotism ever written.

Don't you think that as Man created God he could hardly be expected to do anything else.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:56 am
Spendi,

In the United States, Hooters is never drivel. It is a very compelling topic.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:00 am
However, it's really busting up this discussion.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:18 am
One must keep abreast of developments.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:22 am
Laughing That's our timber. This is getting much too titillating.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:27 am
Timber linked us to an article about the change from A to D cups in China. The article credited the introduction of vitamins to China's diet. This represents a natural evolutionary mechanism. Once again intelligent design has been refuted!
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:35 am
So Wandel, you're sayin' god did not intentionally give Chinese ladies big boobies? Hmmmm . . .
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:39 am
As a cruel joke, God made the Creationists and IDers into big boobies.
0 Replies