Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

cicerone imposter

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 12:19 pm
spendi wrote:
The "niche" idea was an allusion to a well known saying in evolutionary thought, by who I forget, that if there's a niche in which an organism can make a living it will be occupied. I assumed you knew it.

It's similar to the life of spendi on a2k. LOL
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 12:21 pm
The allusion to a niche is like all of Spendi's contribution, it is drivel which is not relevant to the topic.

He made a stupid remark about Wendel's quoted material, got busted for it, and wants to whine about that for pages.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 12:34 pm
That's not my idea of being busted.

Quote:
The allusion to a niche is like all of Spendi's contribution, it is drivel which is not relevant to the topic.

If wande's quote was relevant so was the niche allusion. Is this a pose of indignant thrumming you are putting on or do you really mean it,in which case goodness gracious Ethel.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 12:55 pm
Your pointless and idiotic "niche" allusion did not come up until you had attempted to inferentially criticize Wandel's post by slandering The Independent. You're very confused about the sequence of posts, as well as being only marginally coherent, n'est-ce pas?
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 01:04 pm
You don't even know what slandering means.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 01:05 pm
Given how little sense you make at all times, contentions such as that only make you appear more ludicrous.
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 01:05 pm
I finally read about the "intelligent design" theory, and I'm amazed at how simple-minded it was. It reminded me of the colonial days in the US when they would formulate some wild story about how someone was a "witch" and actually kill them!

Science will weed this garbage out completely. It just seems to be a weak fad right now.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 01:24 pm
HS: If you take the time to read through this thread, or if you do an online search for Dover+Pennsylvania+court case, you'll see that the weak fad can cost a community a hell of a lot of money.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 01:42 pm
HS wrote-

Quote:
It reminded me of the colonial days in the US when they would formulate some wild story about how someone was a "witch" and actually kill them!

I never knew that. Is it true?

I have heard of a small place called Salem and some "witch-hunting" but I didn't know it was a US problem. How widespread was it?

Do you know what the definition of a witch is?
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 02:02 pm
Spendius, it was a big problem. Women who kept to themselves, or had someone who just wanted to get back at them for something, could call them a witch, and it was basically all over for them. Yes, I'm aware the definition of a witch, and the cultural and historical variations of that definition.

The Salem Witch Trials were horrendous. An excellent book on the subject is The Salem Witch Trials by Marilynne K. Roach

Setanta, I'm sure it has cost a lot of money. That seems to be a hobby of the radical Christian community here in the US, spending money on the subject. I say they don't have enough to do.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 02:06 pm
Yeah, Boss, i agree, too much free time.

One of the problems is what it will cost in the quality of science education for children before it is all sorted.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 03:10 pm
HS wrote-

Quote:
I say they don't have enough to do.

Do you think that has anything to do with science and technology making everything so efficient and a population not having much to do will get up to these japes for various reasons and motives most of which I pointed to long ago before you joined the fray. Such a behaviour pattern might have been built into the human species by evolution and therefore there isn't much to be done about it except to laugh. But only those who have conquered evolution urges can manage that.

It might be a self correcting mechanism like a governor on a ship's driveshaft.
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 04:57 pm
Spendius, you'll never turn me off of science. Our lives are much more comfortable, but we have a long way to go.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 05:20 pm
HS wrote-

Quote:
Spendius, you'll never turn me off of science. Our lives are much more comfortable, but we have a long way to go.

I'm not trying to. Nothing could turn me off science. But I don't see why we should interfere with other people's life strategies. Whatever they do won't hold science back enough to fill a jiffy bag with polystyrene bubble packaging so why bother.

If they think life on the sofa watching the big match on a plasma screen with a six-pack and a hot curry in the microwave and a remote control to flip channels during the crappy ads or the injury treatments to something running on the DVD is no good I don't think any serious problems will result.

Plenty of others think such a life is a waste as well.

It's probably more environmentally friendly going to church that going jetting round the world to collect some photographs to bore the arse off your loved ones,neighbours and anybody else daft enough to give you a chance to get them out.

Do you think that all the fuss is just to find them something to do because if you put all their noses to the grindstone of science and technological efficiency they might pile the junk up three miles deep.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 05:24 pm
HS-

They've started piling the shops up now where I am.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 05:46 pm
Here's an example of intelligent design; a Hooters in China. LOL
0 Replies

timberlandko

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 06:36 pm
Hooters in China - whatta concept. The Chinese are big on standards and uniforms, but it sure seems to me the standard Hooters uniform would be a bit big on your standard Chinese serving wench.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 07:06 pm
timber, Don't be too sure; them young women looks pretty good in those "uniforms." Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 07:07 pm
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-10/22/content_384872.htm
0 Replies

timberlandko

Tue 25 Apr, 2006 07:32 pm
Well, mebbe I was wrong ... seems China's bustin out all over -

Tempest in a D-Cup

Ain't evolution grand? Mr. Green
0 Replies