Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

timberlandko

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 12:47 pm
Thanks - yeah, I typically "hot type" all my replies also, frequently intoi the "Quick Reply" box itself, though often in an external text editor, usually Notepad, then paste the text into the "Quick Reply" box myself - and I far too infrequently click "Submit" as opposed to "Preview" - lending to the body of my interactions on these boards example aplenty of my careless typing.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 12:48 pm
It's not bad Setanta-
it's notched up almost 4000 views in the last 20 days which is pretty good for a debate and going on 62,000 since it started. Not envious are you by any chance?

If you haven't learned anything from it other than how to carp in Eisenhower/Dulles style that doesn't mean some of us haven't.

Do you know who were the other six countries besides the US to vote against your No 1 ally in 1956 that the discussion of Suez should be transferred from the Security Council to the
General Assembly so that only talk would result? What a bunch eh? And at what cost!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 12:49 pm
Quod erat demonstrandum
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 12:51 pm
I know what ya mean, Big Bird . . . even when i do use "preview," i have an amazing capacity to let some real big bloopers get by me . . .
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 12:51 pm
What exactly has been demonstrated?

Quote:
even when i do use "preview," i have an amazing capacity to let some real big bloopers get by me . . .

Neat understatement.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 01:30 pm
I assume you're referring to events and circumstances pertaining to the joint British-French-Israeli effort to, by imposition of military force, protect the interests of investors threatened by Nasser's decision to nationalize the Suez Canal - the joint British-French-Israeli adventure that was brought to a halt by US pressure? If anyone is to bear the blame for the mess the Middle East (and the Balkans, besides) has become since the fall of the Ottoman Empire, look first to the Sykes-Picot Agreement, The London Pact, and The Balfour Declaration. While French incompetence and colonial hubris well may be assigned much direct blame for some aspects, it was the Brits who penned the play and set the stage on which the sorry state of affairs debuted. Who bears more responsibility for the production's long, still-strong run - the ever-changing cast and crew, or the playwrights of the tragedy?
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 01:39 pm
Nasser was the playwright.

Anyway-do you know which group of countries you led into action at the UN? And without any useful alternative policy to offer.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 01:41 pm
timberlandko wrote:
I assume you're referring to events and circumstances pertaining to the joint British-French-Israeli effort to, by imposition of military force, protect the interests of investors threatened by Nasser's decision to nationalize the Suez Canal - the joint British-French-Israeli adventure that was brought to a halt by US pressure? If anyone is to bear the blame for the mess the Middle East (and the Balkans, besides) has become since the fall of the Ottoman Empire, look first to the Sykes-Picot Agreement, The London Pact, and The Balfour Declaration. While French incompetence and colonial hubris well may be assigned much dorect blame, it was the Brits who set the stage on which the sorry state of affairs debuted. Who bears more responsibility for the production's long, still-strong run - the ever-changing cast and crew, or the playwrights of the tragedy?
I'm not going to accept that without comment T. Jewish terrorists forced us out of Palestine. [not too hard seeing as we were completely ****ed after the war]. Which major world power recognised the nascent state of Israel (approx 15 minutes into its birth)? Not us Brits. We would have hung and did hang several Jewish terrorist leaders. Those remaining were recognised by the United States as the legitimate rulers of the sovereign state of Israel. The worst single decision since WW2 imo.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 01:44 pm
Steve, Don't be too hard on the US government for supporting Israel; that's where the big bucks to elected officials are - like everything else our government representatives sells for money.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 01:48 pm
And then the US condemned Isreal when they sought to stop Nasser who was blasting the airwaves of the ME with Radio Cairo about running their new state into the sea.

Syria,Jordan,Iraq and Saudi Arabia never voiced a peep of protest at Suez because they knew Nasser was working to undermine them all acting as an agent for the Soviet Union.

Shortly thereafter the train of events leading to Saddam began and you know the rest.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 01:50 pm
spendi and Steve - you reference effect only, without addressing cause; any player may impart to a role a personal interpretation, fleshing out the character, but the role of the character is defined by the author.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 01:51 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Steve, Don't be too hard on the US government for supporting Israel; that's where the big bucks to elected officials are - like everything else our government representatives sells for money.
Sorry ci. I naively thought these sorts of decisions were taken on a plane somewhat above mere money. But you are of course quite correct.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 01:54 pm
timber wrote-

Quote:
I assume you're referring to events and circumstances pertaining to the joint British-French-Israeli effort to, by imposition of military force, protect the interests of investors threatened by Nasser's decision to nationalize the Suez Canal

There were other reasons timber.

1-The protection of a vital international waterway.

2-Protecting the validity of signed agreements.

3-Securing for Isreal passage of the canal.

4-Prevention of a Soviet takeover,through Nasser,of the whole ME.

5-Prevention of overseas investment being at the mercy of a dictator.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 01:57 pm
See The Above, spendi.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 01:59 pm
timberlandko wrote:
spendi and Steve - you reference effect only, without addressing cause; any player may impart to a role a personal interpretation, fleshing out the character, but the role of the character is defined by the author.
I dont deny we made completely duplicitous promises to both arab and jew. What a shame the US did not act firmly to stamp out the mess after we left Palestine. Instead you threw all your weight behind a bunch of terrorists who called themselves Israel.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 02:19 pm
Nobody said all - or even any - of the players were good, Steve, nor even that the play itself is any good - just that the play is as its authors wrote it.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 02:21 pm
Isn't intelligent design fascinating?
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 02:24 pm
Well Ike/Dulles didn't Steve.

I don't think they had any other policy than umbrage at us doing something important without their permission. And they had their own oil and their own canal.They attacked Noriega later.

They wimped it.Had Dubya been in charge things would be different now.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 02:34 pm
Why arnt you participating in the belligerent design thread Spend?
Timber...just had some trouble with wine beer and coffee glasses/mugs...back later. Mop mop.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 02:48 pm
Bummer 'bout the mop-up, Steve - sure hope no serious damage ensued.
0 Replies