Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

timberlandko

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 02:52 pm
Ohhhh ... just caught your Smashing Times thread, Steve - rough morning. Know whatchya mean, been there done that. A bunch. In fact, around here, its sorta like a theme.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 03:03 pm
I broke my coffee mug once. (It was a cheap one, though.)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 03:10 pm
When Steve gets angry, he needs to make sure not to smash that mug with beer in it. That's going a bit too far!
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 03:27 pm
Everything's running smoothly here.

Where's this BD thread.I fancy a bit of BD-ering.

When I get back from the pub I mean.

Do you think pubs are a feature of ID like beaver's dams or spiders webs or black suspenders or a fossil's tail? Or are they all cases of random happenings in evolution's sieve?
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 05:29 pm
Gee wande-

It isn't often on your excellent thread that a simple question goes unanswered for that long at an mid-evening EST.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 05:38 pm
They stopped talking to me too, spendi.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 05:54 pm
Maybe ID is science after all wande.

That would be a turn up for the Book eh?
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 21 Apr, 2006 04:50 am
I have amassed quite a few inferences to the contrary.

I seem to have been excluded from receiving updates. Anyone else having this problem? Is it my breath?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 21 Apr, 2006 04:55 am
farmerman,

All day yesterday, I was not getting any A2K updates. There must be a general problem.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 21 Apr, 2006 04:57 am
Quote:
Intelligent design hurts learning, expert says
(By Daniel Glaser, Lehigh University News, 4/20/2006)

The ongoing debate over intelligent design has caused problems for teaching science, said Eugenie Scott, executive director of the National Center for Science Education, in her lecture on Monday at Packard Auditorium.

Intelligent design is the idea that certain features of the universe and life are best explained by an intelligent cause rather than natural selection, Scott said.

Some religious institutions are pushing for intelligent design to be taught in public schools, Scott said.

"The intelligent design model is based on what we do not know and not what we do know," Scott said. "Believers just make all of their conclusions based on the fact that evolution does not cut it. This is not good scientific process."

Intelligent design goes against the basic definitions of what defines science, primarily that all science must be testable, Scott said. She said that intelligent design has little science behind it.

"There are only two models of approach to how the Earth was made," Scott said. "All you need to do is not have scientific proof to back up evolution and automatically they say that intelligent design wins."

Two court cases were recently brought against two public schools that taught intelligent design rather than evolution, Scott said.

"The reason why we are having so many problems teaching evolution in the college is because it isn't taught in elementary school," Scott said. "If it is kept off standardized tests, then it will not be taught in the schools."

Scott said she thinks the problem stems from the elementary schools because it is rarely a controversy at the college level.

"It is taught matter-of-fact at colleges," Scott said. "If you go to any well-know institution in this country, public or private, you will see that it is taught matter of fact."

The problem with teaching intelligent design with evolution is that it undermines the theory of natural selection, Scott said.

Scott said some of intelligent design's good qualities are its ability to show the differences between provable and non-provable science.

"One thing we can thank intelligent design for is reminding us of the importance of science and letting us appreciate the outside of the box thinkers," Scott said. "Secondly, it reminds us to distinguish between science and a scientific theory."
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 21 Apr, 2006 05:21 am
There's 11 "Scott said"s in that wande.

What's with these ladies.Ladies haven't a scientific bone in their bodies. That's well known. They evolved to be 100% subjective. That's why none come on this thread.

I would be more concerned about American science with ladies in senior scientific posts that I ever would be over ID. They are better as research assistants.

What was new in the spiel?
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 21 Apr, 2006 05:45 am
Spendi, I keep trying to follow some of your rants with the expectation that eventually youd compose something brilliant. Then you continue to lower the bar on our expectations.

Perhaps your criticism should be directed at Mr Daniel Glaeser, the author of that op-ed piece . After all, it was he that displayed the writing skill, not Ms Scott.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 21 Apr, 2006 06:57 am
I know fm-

I assumed threaders would understand.

Dan has a lax editor.

Didn't one of your big-wig scientists make the point about ladies not so long back. It isn't a criticism of ladies by the way. They are what they are thank goodness.

I'm sorry I disappointed you.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Fri 21 Apr, 2006 07:57 am
Trying to rationalize an overt mysogynistic statement isn't working.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 21 Apr, 2006 08:04 am
Had you the misfortune to be familiar with Spendi's "contributions" since arriving here, you'd know that misogyny is a hallmark of his.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 21 Apr, 2006 08:24 am
It is not misogyny.

I just don't underestimate ladies or patronise them.
Those who habitually do both out of necessity often accuse me of misogyny which means the hatred of women and I deny any such thing.

But I accept as a fact of life that those who are sensitive on such an issue are prone to making sweeping statements of that nature in order to justify their being so ruthlessly taken advantage of.
I consider such males to be closet feminists.

Ms Greer did say that all men were rapists and we had a newspaper headline declaring that "Romance is rape."

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with that famous discussion in which I played a minor role and,as a result,understand the convenient hypocrisies often trotted out and in which I don't participate.

You have it wrong Setanta but I am aware that you think that you having asserted something is scientific evidence of its truth.

What's new?
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 21 Apr, 2006 08:39 am
Your denials are bootless and you constantly patronize women.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 21 Apr, 2006 08:55 am
spendi
Quote:
But I accept as a fact of life that those who are sensitive on such an issue are prone to making sweeping statements of that nature in order to justify their being so ruthlessly taken advantage of

So you treat us to one of your own "sweeping" statements eh?.
You may holler as much as you wish about not having a misogynistic bone in your body. What you revealto us is quite another thing. Thats but a fact, jack.spendi, when accusing Eugenie Scott of being "less" than a male scientist
Quote:
I assumed threaders would understand.
We understood , but apparently you didnt. You used the "scott said" talley, to jump into a critcism of Dr Scotts capabilities, even though she had nothing to do with the article you quoted. Thats a big duhhh there fella. The best thing you could do to retain any credibility is to admit that you F***ed up in your addled logic, and try not to justify any further dumbness. Smile
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 21 Apr, 2006 09:20 am
UK UPDATE

Quote:
'Teach evolution as fact' says top scientist
(U-TV News, April 21, 2006)

Doctor Richard Pike, chief executive of the Royal Society of Chemistry, said that references to it being a "theory" should be abandoned. His comments were made amid a long-running row over claims that some of Tony Blair's flagship city academies teach creationism in science lessons.

Creationism includes a belief that all forms of life have always existed in their present form and that the world was formed in 4004 BC, rather than 4,600 million years ago as scientists believe.

Dr Pike said: "Above all, we should no longer talk of the theory of evolution as though it is `just an idea`.

"So well established is it, that it now warrants the designation of an immutable scientific law, and should be taught as such. It is on this basis that further dialogue should begin."

He added: "A wider understanding of the scientific basis of our existence will position all of us to address more effectively the major issues facing our planet.

"In this there is no role for `creationism` or `intelligent design`, and religious education must recognise the allegorical nature of much of its source material."

Earlier this month leading scientists from The Royal Society warned against the teaching of Christian theories such as creationism in school biology lessons.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 21 Apr, 2006 09:41 am
wande, Dr Pike's declaration will only fly over the heads of creationists and IDiots.
0 Replies