Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Tue 18 Apr, 2006 12:23 pm
wande-

I've just spent the last half hour reading up on Mr Bates. I must say that I'm slightly surprised at you giving him a prominent place on your thread. Perhaps it is just that I'm not very astute with coded signals man to man so to speak. He does seem somewhat obsessed with what are commonly known as "gay" rights.

Do you think the elimination of the Bible from classrooms is the thin end of another type of wedge?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Tue 18 Apr, 2006 12:45 pm
spendius wrote:
With all due respect Steve may I refer you to Fowler's Understanding Laguage (An Introduction to Linguistics) Chapter 5 and to The Shorter Oxford.

Perhaps I have read too much Joyce to expect the approval of your English teachers.
you're certainly a man of letters Spendy, except for the n in language.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 18 Apr, 2006 01:29 pm
spendius wrote:
wande-

I've just spent the last half hour reading up on Mr Bates. I must say that I'm slightly surprised at you giving him a prominent place on your thread.

The truth is that today I have decided to give UK a prominent place on this thread. (strictly for my own amusement)
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 18 Apr, 2006 01:49 pm
wande-

And I have tried to put the Guardian cabal in its proper context in case the prominence you have given it deludes Americans into thinking that it represents British thinking which it does not.

Private Eye has often referred to it as The Grauniad.
It is generally thought of as the megaphone of the chattering classes and has a Situations Vacant section (very large) which is almost exclusively focussed on those who live off the budget rather than those who create the budget.

I don't know whether it advertises Vaseline or not but I remember once it did run an ad for high-heel shoes up to size 14 which is 4 bigger than my boots and I'm 6ft.

You put it up on the coconut shy wande.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 19 Apr, 2006 08:36 am
KANSAS UPDATE

Quote:
Group endorses two District 5 hopefuls
(By Tim Vandenack, The Hutchinson News, April 19, 2006)

DODGE CITY - A group that blasts the conservative Kansas Board of Education majority as outside the mainstream is endorsing the two hopefuls opposing Connie Morris in the race for the District 5 seat.

Don Hineman, chairman of the Kansas Alliance for Education, said at a gathering of the organization Tuesday that the group backs Tim Cruz, a Garden City Democrat, and Sally Cauble, a Liberal Republican. Morris, a Saint Francis Republican, is seeking her second term.

The alliance, which will also be involved in the other board of education races, including the contest for the District 7 seat held by Ken Willard of Hutchinson, interviewed the two District 5 challengers before endorsing both. District 5 covers much of western Kansas. "It's nice to have that kind of choice," Hineman said.

The Kansas Alliance for Education formed to combat the candidacies of Morris and two others up for election on the board who backed changes allowing classroom discussion of creationist-friendly concepts about the origin of the earth. Those hopefuls, along with two others not up for election and another not seeking re-election, also spearheaded the controversial pick of Bob Corkins as education commissioner and represent the majority on the 10-member board.

"It's my fervent belief their views don't represent average Kansans' and ours do," Hineman said.

Sue Gamble, a moderate school board member from Shawnee who sits in the minority and also attended Tuesday's event, charged that the majority gets "distracted by ideological wedge issues." Such issues include the possible creation of charter schools and whether sex education in schools should require parental "opt-in" permission, along with the evolution question.

As a political action committee, the alliance can't get directly involved in the campaigns of the candidates it backs. Rather, Hineman said the group would be waging "parallel" campaigns urging support for its picks.
Besides Morris and Willard, the alliance also opposes John Bacon of Olathe and Iris Van Meter, though she won't be seeking re-election. In advance of August primaries, the alliance will be making endorsements in the other campaigns.

Tuesday's endorsements came at a rally here organized to generate interest and support for the alliance and its cause. About 40 attended.
Gamble said the board of education races this year might be relatively low-profile contests, but they are important.

"You've got a big stake in this and we're all going to have to work really hard," she said.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 19 Apr, 2006 04:52 pm
Don't you think wande that the Hutchinson News is a bit off topic.A side issue.

How many places are there the size of Hutchinson and is Tim a relation of the editor/owner?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Wed 19 Apr, 2006 05:05 pm
spendius wrote:
...I have tried to put the Guardian cabal in its proper context in case the prominence you have given it deludes Americans into thinking that it represents British thinking which it does not...
It is generally thought of as the megaphone of the chattering classes ...I don't know whether it advertises Vaseline ...
Would you like a copy and some Vaseline Spendy? I can arrange dispatch under plain wrapper.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 04:05 am
Thanks all the same Steve but no thanks.

I prefer VIZ. A pal of mine gets the Sunday Times for the TV guide and I sometimes have a skim of it but I gave up newspapers years ago.They are nothing but flattened out wood pulp with ink inserts.

If there's any useful information about you don't seriously think they are going to share it with the likes of us do you?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 05:42 am
Quote:
Author: ID backers aim to be in all aspects of life
(By Ron Knox, Lawrence Journal-World, April 20, 2006)

Intelligent design proponents plan to drive a wedge into all aspects of cultural and academic life, a prominent philosophy professor said Wednesday.

"They'll carry the supernatural wedge in all social sciences and humanities," Southeastern Louisiana University professor Barbara Forrest told a packed audience at the Dole Institute of Politics.

Forrest is the author of several essays on intelligent design, and was a witness in the Dover, Pa., trial on intelligent design.

She said ID proponents would eventually extend battles to all fields that use science, rather than the supernatural, to explain the world around them.

But the problem they'll have, Forrest said, would be the same problem theologians had centuries ago when scientific practice first began to expand upon scriptural knowledge.

She likened ID proponents using the supernatural to explain science to builders during the Roman Empire consulting animal entrails before building.

"They still had to get the job done," Forrest said.

Scientists and others will always have to use established scientific principals to explain how the world works, she said.

"There are no secrets in science," Forrest said. "They have to do it publicly so everyone can pick it apart. That's how it works."
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 06:42 am
wande quoted-

Quote:
"There are no secrets in science," Forrest said. "They have to do it publicly so everyone can pick it apart. That's how it works."

She might have had a "packed audience" but if they didn't laugh at that maybe they were sardines in tomato sauce.

Quote:
She likened ID proponents using the supernatural to explain science to builders during the Roman Empire consulting animal entrails before building.

And they trek from all around the world to look at those buildings and in some places they even copy them.

And presumably she has confused "ID proponents" with "some ID proponents" which is a bit cheapskate to say the least. I think she has also confused the label Intelligent Design which she has pinned onto something she wants to pin it onto with the English phrse "intelligent design".

A quote from Google-

Quote:
Her philosophy on teaching is simple, but direct. "Learning is hard work," she said. "You have to want it bad enough to work however hard you have to to get it. But it's more than worth the effort."

She should practice what she preaches instead of spouting easy assertions of that nature.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:13 am
Spendy

would appreciate your comments here
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73171&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

(damn still dont know how to condense a link.....anybody?)

on Belligerent Design. What evil bastard gave us the liver fluke?
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:30 am
To "condense a link," type: [url= , and then place the link after that, closing with "]" (don't leave any spaces) followed by a word, followed by [ /url ], without any spaces. Two posts to follow.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:32 am
For this post, i have disabled UBB code:

LINK
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:33 am
For this post, i have not disabled UBB code:

LINK
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:54 am
Are you finished using this excellent thread as a help forum?

Some months ago, Frank Apisa used this thread to make dinner arrangements with Lola and Blatham!
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:58 am
Having a bad day, Wandel?

How you can describe a thread in which Spendi has puked up his incomprehensible irrelevancies to such an extent excellent, going on to complain about it being used as a help forum, or for dinner engagements, is beyond me.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 12:40 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Are you finished using this excellent thread as a help forum?

If Set hadn't, I woulda - and I'll take tis opportunity to expand a bit on the help he offered. The action of "condensing" a link may be achieved automatically, through use of the "URL" button at the top right of the message body dialog box of the "Post a Reply" page. Clicking that button will pop up a dialog box into which you may type or paste the desired URL. Clicking "OK" then pops up another dialog box into which you may type or paste the text you wish to associate with that URL. Clicking "OK" then results in the text you inserted being rendered on the page as a hyperlink.

Quote:
Some months ago, Frank Apisa used this thread to make dinner arrangements with Lola and Blatham!

So what?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 12:41 pm
You are right, Setanta. Spendi is the only one who calls this an "excellent thread".
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 12:42 pm
Good response, Big Bird . . . i almost always use the "quick reply" window, so i tend to type out the code in its entirety . . .
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 20 Apr, 2006 12:42 pm
timber,

Isn't the intelligent design issue compelling in itself?
0 Replies