Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

wandeljw

Wed 15 Mar, 2006 08:30 am
KANSAS UPDATE

Quote:
Rival science standards emerge in evolution debate
0 Replies

rosborne979

Wed 15 Mar, 2006 09:50 am
spendius wrote:
If the nut finds itself a long way from the tree it is usually because a ground rooting animal such as a warthog has eaten it and passed it out amidst the defecation products a few hours later thus providing it,when it germinates,with a goodly supply of easy to access,high quality nutrient

No sh*t.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 15 Mar, 2006 10:09 am
Not bad wande.Fairly well balanced.

A BBC radio channel has today been discussing the future of science with a range of experts and with phone in contributions from the great unwashed.

Issues raised included-

1-Nano microphones and cameras of molecular size which could easily,it seems,be incorporated into food products and hence into tissues.

2-The possibility of ordinary speech becoming obsolete.

3-Longevity levels which the economic system could only afford so long as people worked well past 120.

4-A two tier social system caused by scientific language being incomprehensible to non-scientists who would necessarily be disenfranchised.

5-A eugenics programme resulting in everyone being more or less perfect which is to say identical.
( A most un-Darwinian idea I should have thought.)

6-And,as Huxley predicted,a proportion of drop-outs who choose to live in a more traditional manner.

I haven't got it all there as I was driving when I heard those bits.But there was something about generating multiple consciousnesses,watching TV in the eyeballs,and introducing consciousness into objects.

I came off it with a distinct feeling that "science" as thought of on this thread is that from before sliced bread was discovered and that the only way to retain vestiges of humanity is to support the ID side on the grounds that it is less daft.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 15 Mar, 2006 10:55 am
spendi's brain is fried from all his visits (daily?) to the local tavern.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 15 Mar, 2006 11:54 am
spendi
Quote:
I came off it with a distinct feeling that "science" as thought of on this thread is that from before sliced bread was discovered and that the only way to retain vestiges of humanity is to support the ID side on the grounds that it is less daft.

Jever wonder how a catfish can see where its goin in the Mississippi? I feel like a shaved catfish. The above spendispeak is perhaps one of the godawfullest sentences Ive ever read in these forams.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 15 Mar, 2006 11:56 am
c.i. wrote-

Quote:
spendi's brain is fried from all his visits (daily?) to the local tavern.

It was scientists on the radio who said all that.I only gave a garbled precis.I wasn't taking notes.How do you conclude my brain is fried merely because I reported it.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 15 Mar, 2006 12:03 pm
fm wrote-

Quote:
Never wonder how a catfish can see where it's goin' in the Mississippi? I feel like a shaved catfish. The above spendispeak is perhaps one of the godawfullest sentences I've ever read in these forums.

You just have to be kidding fm.Can't you see your way to explaining what you mean.

I ought to have said that the radio programme was dealing with stuff being worked on now and coming on stream in the next fifty years.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 15 Mar, 2006 12:07 pm
A good example of spendi-speak:

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 15 Mar, 2006 12:09 pm
"fried brain cells from too much alcohol" seems like a good probability. I could be wrong, but all the symptoms are there.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 15 Mar, 2006 12:43 pm
Answer the question man for goodness sake.

How does my reporting a radio show prove anything about the state of my brain.It did show I have a fairly retentive memory I think. There was quite a lot in my report and the discussion was interlarded with music and I was working.I even impressed myself getting so much down on your behalfs.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 15 Mar, 2006 01:00 pm
spendi, Trust me on this one; it was not on "our" behalf. It was entirely for spendi's consumption and analysis.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 15 Mar, 2006 01:57 pm
You could just as easily say that about any post on here.I thought you might be interested in what was said by two eminent British scientists concerning current research and hopes in the field.One was the Emeritus Professor of Biological Geography at London University.(I think I have that right.)

If you run with untramelled science that's the general direction.Seemingly you favour it.So do I actually.It sounds good fun.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 16 Mar, 2006 04:11 pm
I always saw Brave New World as utopian.I think reading it dystopianly is to miss the point.

All those pneumatic women who never age and are all popped up all the time and you get looked down the nose at for being interested in one twice.

I think I choose to be an alpha minus.Virtual reality video playcast star.Something along those lines.I'm a bit arty.

I wouldn't mind being a gamma plus but not a minus.Beta range I would definitely not wish on my enemies.

That's why I said that the professor's brief survey of the next fifty years progress sounded like good fun.Although it only covered the things we can already imagine a bit.

You'll notice that the guy who runs off because he can't take it anymore goes into the agricultural business on his own account.He gets an allotment.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 16 Mar, 2006 06:17 pm
You won't believe this but it's true.

After I wrote that I went to the pub and this geezer comes up and starts telling us about how his ambition is to go to the wilds of emptiest Canada and feed himself from nature's bounteous resources.It was a bit garbled but I heard mention of racoon pie.

Is it any good?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Thu 16 Mar, 2006 07:28 pm
Racoon, like bear and to some extent even squirrel, tends to be greasy if not carefully prepared. When roasting, the meat should be on a trivet or grate of sufficient size to keep it above the rendered fat, when grilled or rotisserie cooked over open flame, flareups must be managed, and when stewed, the product should not be boiled vigorously, but rather should be simmered, with frequent attention paid to skimming the froth and fat from the surface. Due to their high fat content, meats of these sorts do not lend themselves well to pan-frying. Strongly flavored themselves, such meats work well cooked with robust wines and with stronger herbs and spices, such as garlic, sage, and laurel. Hearty vegetables - radishes, turnips, cabbage, leeks, carrots, onions, and the like, also work well with these meats.

Done correctly, any of 'em can be downright tasty, prepared any number of ways. You need a lotta squirrels, though, to make a decent meal; they ain't real big to start with, and ain't much meat on 'em.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 16 Mar, 2006 08:30 pm
Why does the Ballad of Jed Klampett come to mind.

Nothing, absolutely nothing is worse than African "bush meat", ya never know what yer gonna get.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 16 Mar, 2006 08:32 pm
spendi
Quote:
I always saw Brave New World as utopian.I think reading it dystopianly is to miss the point.

I imagine youd say that about the Stepford Wives as well.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 17 Mar, 2006 09:53 am
MISSOURI UPDATE

Quote:
Bill affecting teaching of evolution advances
(By Matt Franck, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Mar. 16 2006)

A bill critics say would erode the instruction of evolution in Missouri public
schools narrowly cleared a House committee Thursday, signaling a possible shift in how the Legislature handles bills on the contentious topic.

For the past few years, legislation challenging the teaching of Darwinism has struggled to get a hearing at all, much less the backing of a committee. Last year, for example, a bill that would have required textbooks to include alternatives to evolution was heard in the final days of the session.

This year's bill, by Rep. Wayne Cooper, R-Camdenton, was fast-tracked through the House Education Committee, gaining approval in the first half of the session.

On its face, the bill may appear to have nothing do with evolution - a word not even in the text.

Dubbed the "Missouri Science Education Act," the bill would require teachers to distinguish between "verified empirical data" and theories. The bill further calls on teachers to "minimize dogmatism while promoting student inquiry, healthy skepticism and understanding."

The bill makes no mention of intelligent design, a concept that living things are so complex that they would have required an intelligent creator. Cooper said his bill merely seeks to ensure that evolution is taught critically.

"It's a bill that wants to bring a fuller picture of evolutionary theory," said
Cooper in an interview.

Cooper, who is a physician, said he believes "Darwinism is in crisis" with
competing information illustrating that the theory of evolution has flaws.

Critics of the bill say it would intimidate teachers, forcing them to demote
evolution, inserting scientific doubt that is not shared by the vast majority
of experts. They say the evidence supporting evolution is abundant.

Otto Fajen, a lobbyist for the Missouri chapter of the National Education
Association, said few testified against the bill earlier this week after it was
placed on the agenda with little notice. He said officials representing science teachers were not present at the hearing, but would be eager to weigh in.

Cooper said he believes many teachers who have doubts about evolution are afraid to discuss the flaws of evolution with students. His bill seeks to
protect teachers from being disciplined for teaching scientific theory as
theory.

The bill is HB 1266.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 17 Mar, 2006 10:16 am
The folks in Columbia may well have a friend in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. The author of the article constantly refers to "Darwinism." A theory of evolution owes to Darwin what physics owes to Newton--but just as modern physics has advanced well beyond the conceptions of Newton, and of Einstein, for that matter, so moder life ane earth sciences have advanced well beyond Darwin (and Wallace). Darwin relied upon morphology to make the distinctions which lead him to develop a theory of descent with modification by natural selection (as did Wallace). Modern biologists investigate evolution at the molecular level by mapping genomes.

With the major newspaper in the state of Missouri repetitively using a term such as "Darwinism" to describe a theory of evolution, one might tend to despair of the objectivity of those who will make the decisions in this matter.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Fri 17 Mar, 2006 10:41 am
Actually, the bill, if this quote accurately reflects the intent and langauge of same:
Quote:
... the bill would require teachers to distinguish between "verified empirical data" and theories. The bill further calls on teachers to "minimize dogmatism while promoting student inquiry, healthy skepticism and understanding.

leaves no room for anything but critique, criticism, and ultimate consequent debunking and ridiculing the ID-iot proposition, in that the patently religious absurdity of that proposition is devoid of verified empirical data, wholly dependent on dogmatism, has no objective, forensically valid, academically honest defense against legitimate inquiry or healthy skepticism, and is based on "understanding" only the superstitions of the Abrahamic Mythopaeia.
0 Replies