Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:08 am
Quote:
The Fordham Foundation: Don't Think, Just Salute

What does that mean wande.You quoted the FF.How do they give these grades?Are they a private,self appointing crew of lobbyists as well.

Is Onemm a scientist or a business man?
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:13 am
parados wrote-

Quote:
You can't point to any design features that can't be better explained by natural sources.

Perhaps I might try if questions of taste and decorum didn't inhibit me.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:15 am
There are probably "lobbyists" on both sides of any issue. However, this doesn't change the fact that ID is not science.
0 Replies

parados

Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:18 am
spendius wrote:
parados wrote-

Quote:
You can't point to any design features that can't be better explained by natural sources.

Perhaps I might try if questions of taste and decorum didn't inhibit me.

LOL spendi. I love the way you always decline to actually discuss the issues.
Ah yes, it is distateful to actually talk about how something was designed by some intelligence.

I agreed with you when I said that questioning anything is the best method to understand it. So obviously the goal here is to NOT understand ID since you refuse to question how something can be explained by ID.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:56 am
wande wrote-

Quote:
There are probably "lobbyists" on both sides of any issue. However, this doesn't change the fact that ID is not science.

I've already agreed to that wande.A good few times.You needn't continue reminding us.If someone says ID is science that in no way discredits the principle aspects of the argument.

If you care to peruse The Higher Learning in America by Thorstein Veblen you will be exposed to the argument,which I agree with,that the one sure-fire method of holding science back and with it American,or anybody else's,progress in the field is to allow business principles anywhere near it.

To those who accept that idea,which is really irrefutable,business organisations might be thought of as using ID to camouflage their own activities in this regard.A red-herring.

Science is the exercise of disinterested curiosity.Business is a form of ambush.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Mar, 2006 12:03 pm
parados wrote-

Quote:

I wouldn't always decline but sensitive souls might be reading this thread.

I would certainly expect the top ID theologians,as opposed to their infantry,to have no limits in their discussions.

Can you not take a hint?
0 Replies

parados

Tue 7 Mar, 2006 12:11 pm
spendius wrote:
parados wrote-

Quote:

I wouldn't always decline but sensitive souls might be reading this thread.

I would certainly expect the top ID theologians,as opposed to their infantry,to have no limits in their discussions.

Can you not take a hint?

Hints? You are screaming very loud and clear.

The only way to understand something is to question it.
Science is the excercise of disinterested curiosity.

I always decline to question because sensitive souls might read this.

No questions from you. No disinterested curiosity. Nothing at all but obfuscation.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 7 Mar, 2006 12:15 pm
parados, You're knocking your brains out against a cement wall.... You'll continue to get "obfuscation" from spendi.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Mar, 2006 01:03 pm
Me?

Obfusticate!!

Never.

It's just that there are aspects to evolutionary theory that one just doesn't discuss in the hearing of maiden aunts in puritan families.

But how's this for obfustication when I wrote-

Quote:
Where is the anti-IDers notion of beauty when according to evolutionists,with their objectively peer-reviewed facts,nature is a brutal and merciless battlefield?

The obfustication of a clam scuttling sideways.

Not a peep.Not one single,solitary peeeweeepeep.

As if the kids are going to be brought up with a sense of beauty with anti-IDers in charge.The only sense of beauty remaining for an anti-IDer being the one like that of a hungry monkey seeing a banana.Which is very fitting I must say in view of the fact of their insistence that they are one.

They can't even try to answer it because they know they can't answer it.Not with every living lifeform trying to crush the living daylights out of its nearest neighbours until the pips squeak and,in a tight corner,out of its own kith and kin.

And what do they then do?Accuse me of obfustication.Maybe they accuse me of being stupid for the same reason.And all the rest.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 7 Mar, 2006 01:06 pm
A question without any substance, and spendi thinks he's offering something "intelligent."
0 Replies

parados

Tue 7 Mar, 2006 01:13 pm
spendius wrote:

And what do they then do?Accuse me of obfustication.Maybe they accuse me of being stupid for the same reason.And all the rest.
Oh no. You present plenty of other reasons for people to accuse you of that. :wink:
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Mar, 2006 01:20 pm
c.i. wrote

Quote:
A question without any substance, and spendi thinks he's offering something "intelligent."

Why would you say that?It's a sense of beauty that has led Western civilisation into this high road of wonder and evolutionary success and if you think that reading a few paragraphs out to a lazy,idle,good-for-nothing bags of fresh hormones is going to wreck American science you just wait to see what not having a sense of beauty does.Even if it is a chimera.Which Hubble photographs prove it isn't.

So it is a valid question and many great artists have tried to answer it.And you may dismiss them with a quip and a snort if you like but that makes no difference to me nor I think anybody else who is likely to be reading this.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 7 Mar, 2006 02:56 pm
CREATIONISM IN ENGLAND

Quote:
British Humanist Association Press Release

(spendius: can you tell us what is going on in England?)
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Mar, 2006 04:30 pm
I haven't time now but I will answer your question to the best of my ability and from the little I see of such matters.Education takes place,in the main,outside of school.Once they learn to read and write and can count their money I mean.There are some with hard driving parents,bloody swats they are called, that all this theory might affect but in the main it is media,pop music and peer driven.Most have little or no respect for school and quite right too seeing as how they are run for the benefit of teachers and education officials.It's called living on the budget with a load of theoretical fanny to try to make it look good.

But regarding this-

Quote:
Children in the documentary were expelled for smoking outside of school, and denied education; parents related that girls were not allowed to leave the classroom, even when having their periods.

Smoking under 16 is a criminal offence and if you allow girls to leave classrooms when they claim to need to there is no end of traipsing up and down and disruptions enough to reduce any lesson to a shambles.Not in sex lessons though.

So don't start that kow-towing to them which leads to ruin on some wishy-washy medical flummery sentimentality and on no knowledge of the dynamics in a real classroom with modern teenagers.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 7 Mar, 2006 04:38 pm
Gee, such ignorant observations by somebody that doesn't understand the simplist theory of education.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Mar, 2006 06:01 pm
Is that going to be the style of conversation at the now infamous meet of global warmers in Chicago because if it is I'm bloody glad I'm not going because two days of that would have me chewing my teeth off.

What's "the simplist theory of education"? I've not heard of that one before.Is it the latest fad for getting easy money out of the taxpayer without getting the hands dirty.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 7 Mar, 2006 07:10 pm
See what I mean?
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 8 Mar, 2006 06:08 am
The more subjectivised teachers and ex-teachers probably do but those who employ their productions certainly don't.

But what is to be said about the value to people reading here to learn something of

Quote:
Gee, such ignorant observations by somebody that doesn't understand the simplist theory of education.

Or

Quote:
See what I mean?

I think the readers are quite capable of judging for themselves what ignorant observations look like without the need for guidance from pointless,self-serving assertions.

Quote:
Smoking under 16 is a criminal offence and if you allow girls to leave classrooms when they claim to need to there is no end of traipsing up and down and disruptions enough to reduce any lesson to a shambles.Not in sex lessons though.

One might expect on a science thread some attempt to answer these observations on a level a little more academic than simply calling them ignorant.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 8 Mar, 2006 10:35 am
Quote: "Smoking under 16 is a criminal offence ..."

spendi, Murder is also a criminal offence. If you would think one step further why you would even pose such a question might give you a clue as to why such questions are not relevant. Think, man, think, before you set finger to the keys.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 8 Mar, 2006 10:36 am
spendi, There's a Forum on a2k called "Ask a stupid question." You'll feel right at home there.
0 Replies